Author Topic: Ngagpa (White Sangha) and Dorje Shugden  (Read 15726 times)

Blueupali

• Email
Re: Ngagpa (White Sangha) and Dorje Shugden
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 07:30:03 AM »
Hello to previous commentators,
  Just some info--- the only practices I ever heard of anyone of the Ngagpa community doing, and these were Nyingmas of Penor Rinpoche's lineage, were simply high yoga tantra practices.  I suppose as a Buddhist, and I consider Dorje Shugden a Buddha, I wouldn't consider Nyingmas (at least Penor Rinpoche's ones) to be shamanistic; they rely completely on a mandala of Buddhas, not spirits, just like all the other traditions.  They are considered mystical, by western standards, but they are simply doing high yoga practice with the intention of liberating all beings from suffering.  I wouldn't see this as shamanistic, but simply as becoming a Buddha for the benefit of all. Sorry, I don't have sources, because it's high yoga in another tradition and I don't have their empowerments, but I doubt I could direct you to read them, unless you would have their empowerments:).

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 04:29:56 AM »
Hello to previous commentators,
  Just some info--- the only practices I ever heard of anyone of the Ngagpa community doing, and these were Nyingmas of Penor Rinpoche's lineage, were simply high yoga tantra practices.  I suppose as a Buddhist, and I consider Dorje Shugden a Buddha, I wouldn't consider Nyingmas (at least Penor Rinpoche's ones) to be shamanistic; they rely completely on a mandala of Buddhas, not spirits, just like all the other traditions.  They are considered mystical, by western standards, but they are simply doing high yoga practice with the intention of liberating all beings from suffering.  I wouldn't see this as shamanistic, but simply as becoming a Buddha for the benefit of all. Sorry, I don't have sources, because it's high yoga in another tradition and I don't have their empowerments, but I doubt I could direct you to read them, unless you would have their empowerments:).

I wouldnt consider them as shamanistic in any way either. Because simply, they are not and they are just another way of practicing the Dharma, although not in monks' robes and without the monks' vows as they have to adapt to the time where Buddhism was outlawed in Tibet during Langdharma's regime, but the practice and lineage survived until today. It does not make them shamanistic in any way, just another method, another path of practicing the Dharma. If you understand Tibetan history, you'll find nothing wrong, but if you see people claiming to be Ngakpas or Ngakmos but lack a lineage Guru, or lists a fictional lineage Guru that cannot be confirmed elsewhere, be careful.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 11:22:06 AM »
This is the first time I have ever heard of White Sangha and Red Sangha.  And whether the White Sanghas are shamanistic.

Very good information had been put forward by each contributor and the information is mind boggling. 

After reading all the posts, I totally agree on the definition of a true Buddhist is that whatever is done is out of compassion for others.  As mentioned a Buddhist monk will never exorcise ''wandering spirits'' in a wrathful manner like Christian Priests but rather calm them so that they will not harm others.  Actually I have seen my Guru calm some spirits in an empty premises and even offered the spirits food and plenty of prayers.  Especially Dorje Shugden mantras.

Whatever religious practices one does must always benefit others.  That is true spiritual religion.