Author Topic: Why are Tibetans in India rejecting Dalai Lama's example to remain a refugee?  (Read 44560 times)

Drolma

It's funny, the Dalai Lama wants to remain as a refugee to show his commitment to the Tibet cause but most of the CTA members have a passport of another country. So in fact, the CTA is going against the Dalai Lama, they themselves don't believe in the cause. The Dalai Lama actually doesn't get much support from the the CTA.

Tibetans have suffered much being a refugee, they don't have the basic right of a citizen, they don't have an identity. They are like living in the bardo, they cannot plan their future, they don't really see the hope. After 60 years of waiting, even if they respect and love the Dalai Lama, they just have to do something for themselves. They have to move on.

It is not fair to let the Tibetans wait forever while the members of the CTA have already had a great plan for themselves. Tibetans have finally realised that the Tibet Cause is a mission impossible. The Dalai Lama is getting very old and they have accepted the fact that Tibet will never be independent. Thus, we see many Tibetans choose to migrate to other countries, take Indian citizenship or they rather go back to Tibet.

CTA is the biggest hypocrite and liar in the world. On the surface, they show a  lot of respect to the Dalai Lama, but in reality, they are only using the Dalai Lama for their personal gain, they disregard the Dalai Lama most of the time. They have to show respect to the Dalai Lama because only the Dalai Lama can command the Tibetans and attract the sponsors.

It is not hard to see that CTA always uses the Dalai Lama's name when they want to give instructions to the Tibetans or get sponsorship from the Dalai Lama. The CTA doesn't have the commanding power to control the Tibetans and they are not able to garner support from the west if they are without the Dalai Lama.

Even though the Dalai Lama is so important to the CTA but the CTA doesn't support the Dalai Lama. The Dalai Lama shows his commitment to the Tibet Cause by remaining as a refugee but most of the members of CTA have already become a citizen of the country they have chosen. The Dalai Lama wants to pursue the Middle Way approach but the CTA is not cooperative, they are still talking about Free Tibet. Because of the inefficiency of the CTA, the Tibetans have to suffer, they have lost faith in the CTA and they are left with no choice but to move on. So it is actually CTA who does not support the Dalai Lama, not the Tibetans.

michaela

Many Tibetans escaped China went to exile to improve the quality of their livelihood. For this dream, they are willing to suffer and remain refugees temporarily. But not forever of course. 60 years is a long time and for some people, a lifetime. Who actually wants to be refugees for life if they have a choice. Of course they want to assimilate with the local culture and move on with their lives.

Tracy

How would you feel if all the members of your leadership have become a citizen of another country and you still remain as a refugee with no identity and you don't have the freedom to travel, to own property or business? After 60 years, there should be improvements in people's lives but this is not happening in the Tibetan in exile community. If I were a normal Tibetan, I will conclude that my government is hopeless and unreliable, I have to do something for myself. No one wants to be stateless. Maybe it is ok for the Dalai Lama to remain as a refugee because he is a monk so he can't buy a property, he shouldn't be enjoying the secular life, he doesn't need a career and he doesn't need to support a family. But for a normal person, having an identity is important.

Alex

• Email
Tibetans refused to stay as refugees because they know that the Tibetan cause is no longer a cause that is worthy to fight for. They have been refugees for 60 years and they have been fighting for Tibet's independence for 60 years. However, all their effort are proven to be useless because their government is useless. There is no way that they will be able to get Tibet back from China. All they can do now is to join China or become part of India. They want to have a better life and being a refugee will not help them in any way. It is better for them to leave their own government and fight for a better future elsewhere.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 06:44:59 AM by Vajraprotector »

pemachen

• Email
Tibetans refused to stay as a refugee because they know that the Tibetan cause is no longer worthy for them to fight for. They have been a refugee for 60 years and they have been fighting for Tibet's independence for 60 years. However, all their effort are proven to be useless because their government is useless. There is no way that they will be able to get Tibet back from China. All they can do now is to join China or become part of India. They want to have a better life and being a refugee will not help them in any way. It is better for them to leave their own government and fight for a better future elsewhere.

Honestly, would you stay in India as a Tibetan refugee? Ask yourself that question and you will have the answer. There's nothing wrong with India. In fact, I applaud the Indian government for being so kind to offer Indian citizenships to Tibetans who are eligible. That's why many TIbetans are now applying to become an Indian citizen.

pemachen

• Email
Honestly, would you stay in India as a Tibetan refugee? Ask yourself that question and you will have the answer. There's nothing wrong with India. In fact, I applaud the Indian government for being so kind to offer Indian citizenships to Tibetans who are eligible. That's why many TIbetans are now applying to become an Indian citizen.

I wouldn't. Let me share some of the comments Tibetans have made.

(Rinchen Nyima, from McLeod Ganj)

Dicki Chhoyang’s statement clearly shows that she doesn’t like Lobsang Sangay despite her four and half years of service under him. She sees that he doesn’t have the right qualities to be re-elected. She did what she believed and felt. I appreciate that.

Those who feel that she’s acting on provincial basis is their opinion. I am not getting any feeling that she’s doing that. I am sure many others in CTA as well as outside that felt how Sangay has been doing and executing. I felt that. He is full of himself most of the time. His ideas are also not that great either.

But she definitely helped make re-thinking for those who have no idea at all. Hope the voters will make an informed and right choice for us and for Tibet.

pemachen

• Email
Look at this comment by Sonam Tso, this is the type of leadership they have to put up with. So why should they remain as refugees?

The statement released by Kasur Dicki la gives us reason to think once again before we cast our vote for Sikyong. There is good reason for us to listen and find out what she has to say regarding incumbent Sikyong and his view on sensitive issues and style of functioning during his tenure. This election is very important and it will determine the course of our history. Any person who occupies this high position in Dharamshala, should have some noble qualities to lead people struggling for freedom.

I disagree with some views expressed here against Penpa la and those are not proven in the court of law and it is absolutely wrong and immoral to say such unsubstantiated allegations against any person. If any person has clear evidence against Penpa la, then he should face justice and appear before the court of law. Till then he is consider innocent by law of a land and nobody outside court has right to convict him, especially Lhamo la, living in Washington with little knowledge of judicial matters.

pemachen

• Email
This comment clearly shows you that they would rather not have a Sikyong. But what choice do they have? Also, the problem with the Central Tibetan Administration's bad leadership is not new. People are really sick and tired of Dharamsala's leadership.

Lhamo, from Washington

The choice is simple — choose no Sikyong.

She obviously wants to destroy Sangay, and the only other choice is Tsering who allegedly is a drunk, who murdered a Lama and stole his wife. He is no Statesman. How will any country, NGO, or the international media take the CTA seriously with him in charge?

Postpone the election.

pemachen

• Email
I believe the Tibetans love their Kundun, and they will never abandon His Holiness the Dalai Lama. But if you have to live under the leadership of Lobsang Sangay, you would run.

Look at Lobsang Sangay - I would be afraid to remain a refugee because  I don't know what this type of selfish, self-indulgent leader will do and what type of problems he will create for me and my family. This is not just a matter of status, but rather livelihood, my children's future and more.

Do you trust Lobsang Sangay? Do you trust another Sikyong who may be worse than Lobsang Sangay?

pemachen

• Email
Many Tibetans escaped China went to exile to improve the quality of their livelihood. For this dream, they are willing to suffer and remain refugees temporarily. But not forever of course. 60 years is a long time and for some people, a lifetime. Who actually wants to be refugees for life if they have a choice. Of course they want to assimilate with the local culture and move on with their lives.

Recently at the Tibetan Uprising protest in Washington, I heard they shouted, "60 years is too long" - instead of shouting that to appeal for help, they should shout that to their own Central Tibetan Adminstration, especially the Sikyong Lobsang Sangay to stop travelling and spending foreign aid money, and really to start doing something for the welfare and benefits of Tibetans. Otherwise, many Tibetans will continue to migrate overseas, or becoming Indian citizens for a more 'secure' future than to remain a refugee. It's very sad and then we will witness the prophecy of the 14th Dalai Lama, who's the most powerful among all Dalai Lama, and who will be the last Dalai Lama :-X :-X

Rowntree

Clearly, because the Tibetans in India are not the Dalai Lama, they do not have his charisma and intelligence to remain the world most famous and richest refugee. Only the Dalai Lama can continue to leave like this because he doesn't need any paperwork to travel around the world or go anywhere. No one can beat that.

Until and unless they can become like that, Tibetans who are smart enough would want to adopt real citizenship. There is no point for them to live like that and be forever uncertain of their future while hoping for the chance to rise someday.

It is more practical to get proper citizenship and move on.

Tracy

Clearly, because the Tibetans in India are not the Dalai Lama, they do not have his charisma and intelligence to remain the world most famous and richest refugee. Only the Dalai Lama can continue to leave like this because he doesn't need any paperwork to travel around the world or go anywhere. No one can beat that.

Until and unless they can become like that, Tibetans who are smart enough would want to adopt real citizenship. There is no point for them to live like that and be forever uncertain of their future while hoping for the chance to rise someday.

It is more practical to get proper citizenship and move on.

Refugees are people who are stateless, they live in another country without a travel document. For the Tibetan refugees, they can move around in India freely but they cannot travel to other countries. They also cannot buy properties or own any business. They have lost a lot of opportunities in life.

For Dalai Lama, it does not matter if he can travel to other countries or own property because he is a monk, these are not important to him and he is not supposed to have the attachment to these things anyway.  But to the normal Tibetans, these are important to them.

It is not fair to ask the Tibetans to remain as refugees forever and not giving them a clear direction of what will happen next. The CTA is not giving Tibetans hope, they have not choice but to move on and plan for themselves. Tibetans are still very respectful to the Dalai Lama but when it comes to their future, they can only rely on themselves.

Alex

• Email
Tibetans do not want to continue to be refugees because it is very obvious that they have nothing to do now in the Tibetan settlements in India. They have no chance to be successful and the Tibetan cause is not coming anytime soon. They are stuck there and all they can do is to wait for a miracle or do something to leave CTA behind.

His Holiness the Dalai Lama is different than the rest of the Tibetans. He does not need to worry about this because he can go anywhere and everybody will accept him but not normal Tibetans. That is why Tibetans are afraid for their future and they are trying to fight for their future.

Many Tibetans that went overseas are doing well and they are able to live a life that is better than life in India. Soon the number of Tibetans in exile will drop so much that there is no need for CTA to exist anymore.

SabS

Yes it is true that the Dalai Lama's status is different from that of his people. He is safeguarded in his palace and has limited restrictions in his travel (that is until recently where many countries disallow his visa to prevent irking China). He receives tons of donations from his followers and this is not counting the sponsorships from countries for his people, the "refugees". On the other hand, what money siphons down to them after CTA takes the cut, is hardly ever for them to progress. In fact, often times they dwell in deep poverty and depend on selling sweaters which hardly cover their basic living expenses. It is a requirement for them to be in poverty. Otherwise, how would Lobsang Sangay & CTA beg for money? Why change now? Well, their faith may not be with them much longer. The Dalai Lama is 83 years old and rumoured to have cancer. With his retirement, people are saying his condition has worsen and they are scared of what will happen if he leaves them. What will become of them? Will India still allow them stay the remaining of 99 years as promised? Will CTA hold them together or will they return to their respective countries since they are holders of the passports of these countries. In other words, there are citizens of those countries which means they are not Tibetan.  >:(

Remain refugee like the Dalai Lama? Well, if they have the same status and wealth, then maybe why not?

Alex

• Email
His Holiness is not a refugee by any means other than the fact that he fled Tibet to take asylum in India. There is no way His Holiness is living the life of a refugee with all those donations and assistance. That is why he is okay to continue to be a refugee.

However, it is a totally different case with the Tibetans who are living in poverty. They do not have many chances in life because of their status as a refugee. For 60 years, Tibetans lived in India as refugees and take a look at what they have achieved? Then, look at those Tibetans who left India to fight for their future in foreign countries.

The Tibetans in exile have a lot of choices now because even China is opening their door to those Tibetan who wanted to return to Tibet. Any choice is better than the choice of remaining in the Tibetan settlements because there is no future there.