Author Topic: Buddhist monks say words against the Letpadaungtaung final report  (Read 4665 times)

Ensapa

• Email
Meanwhile in Myanmar, things arent looking good for the monks...

Buddhist monks say words against the Letpadaungtaung final report
ElevenMyanmar.com, 14 March 2013

Yangon, Myanmar -- Buddhist monks injured in the violent crackdown at the Letpadaungtaung copper mine protest expressed their disagreement over an official report that suggested that the project to continue.

<< A Buddhist monk under medical treatment for his buring injury at Yangon General Hospital

They also demanded that authorities look into those responsible people for the violent attack.

"We absolutely don't agree with the relocation of Buddhist buildings there. We Buddhist monks and novices risked our lives to protest against the project. I want to request all the people including monks in Myanmar to protect the historical legacy of Ledi Sayadawgyi," said Ashin Thitzana, an injured monk who just came back from Thailand for medical treatments.

The final report suggested that authorities should continue the Letpadaungtaung project. It also suggested that the Buddhist buildings located in the project site should be moved to a new suitable site without any damage to them should the project go on.   

"Will the Buddhist people in Myanmar accept a mining if it removes Buddhist pagodas located in the mountains? I am very sorry to see the suggestions in the report to move the buildings. I also felt neglected the report didn't say anything about taking actions against those who are responsible for injuring many Buddhist monks," said Ashin Sandawbartha who is still under the treatment for burning at Thidagu Ayudana Hospital in Sagaing Region.
"We [Buddhist monks] are protesting against some of the information written in the report. But we also agree with some of them.” said Ashin Wimala, the leader monk for Guardian Team for the injured monks.
“It's important that local people should decide whether the project should go or not. We will stand on the side of local people. We will protest against any case which can eliminate the Buddhist buildings. We want to see those responsible for hurting the monks taken action according to the law," he said.

bambi

Re: Buddhist monks say words against the Letpadaungtaung final report
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 05:24:59 AM »
After all these years, all Aung? San Suu Kyi ever did is for her country and her people. Never about personal gains, yet when something happens and not according to the people's liking, problems arise.
I am very sorry to say with no disrespect whatsoever, as monks, arent they supposed to be detached from such worldly issues or relocation?It is not that the temples or village will be destroyed nor close, just relocated. And of coz it has to be done with much respect. The contract was signed and sealed, for the benefit of everyone, just relocate. Yes, it is historical but everything is impermanent.
I am sorry that the monks got hurt in this incident, the police should have used better methods to counter this protest. Water spray perhaps? Or smoke?
I do hope that all will be resolved peacefully....

Jessie Fong

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »

I guess the monks' concern are more towards how the temples may disappear from this earth due to the mines.  They are asking for the preservation of religious sites.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In November, police used smoke bombs containing phosphorus in a pre-dawn crackdown on protesters camped at Monwe, severely burning and injuring 108 people, 99 of whom were Buddhist monks. The assault brought the international media spotlight to Burma, as it was the biggest crackdown on peaceful protest since 2007, and prompted the government to launch an investigation.

The findings of the investigation team’s report released on March 12, disappointed many, and provoked an angry reaction from Letpadaung villagers. The team, which included ministers and a member of the Wenbao corporation, shed some light on what happened, but fell far short of calling for a halt to operations. It recommended the contract be re-written to address the issues raised in the report.

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, who chaired the commission, promised the villagers their concerns would be addressed in a visit to Letpadaung the day after the report was released. She was met with anger and frustration because she argued the US $1 billion contract should not be scrapped because it would scare away foreign investors and strain relations with the slumbering dragon to the north—China.

The Letpadaung operation, one of two large mines in the area, is expected to produce 100,000 tons of copper a year, making the companies involved a tidy $4 billion over the lifespan of the mine.

The first mine was developed in 1996. Since then, complaints against the companies involved have only grown. Livelihoods have been ruined, land taken with little warning or compensation. Respiratory ailments and skin diseases caused by the pollution of water and air have increased dramatically.

The whole landscape around Monywa has changed. Sabetaung, a local township, has disappeared. Hills have been dug into like termite mounds and filled with waste products—out of sight, out of the mind of the companies and the government.

But local communities want none of this. We must ask ourselves this: what do local communities gain from the companies’ presence in the area?

Letpadaung Mountain will be gone in the coming years, eroded and gutted by Wenbao, and sites of historical and religious significance will be gone, too.

Already 3,200 hectares of land—mostly farmed by subsistence farmers and including 218 homes and three Buddhist monasteries—was expropriated. Compensation was made up to about $1,000 to cover the cost of rebuilding a house in the relocation zone, and about $1,200 for a hectare of land, $12 for a palm tree and $19 for a mango tree.

http://www.irrawaddy.org/archives/30215

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 03:47:22 AM »
I think that's no right or wrong in this situation, the people and the monks have every right to defend their interest of their home and temple, the government have to measure and look at it as a big picture in order to generate income in order to boost up the economy of Myanmar. I guess people is to react differently when we ourselves are to be put in different situation.

sonamdhargey

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 10:25:37 AM »
It is wrong that people are hurt in the protest. Nobody has the rights to hurt anybody. I'm surprised that so many livelihood has been affected from relocation of homes and temples to skin diseases in the name of development and economy. These are clear signs of degeneration. Aren't there a proper relocation scheme that provides proper homes and job opportunities to compensate lost of income? As monks, monks should not be affected by these relocation and instead should negotiate a proper living and relocation schemes that will benefit all. The protest resulted in more harm to themselves and didn't bring any peace for all parties.