Author Topic: Buddhist Charitable Organization Returns To Central Regional Saturday For Storm  (Read 3959 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
A couple of days ago, my friend told me that he was not impressed with the generosity of Tzu Chi Buddhist organization to the storm victims in America. They were giving USD10 million to the Superstorm Sandy victims! I asked him why not. He said it was because they are a very wealthy organization so they can afford to give. I think differently about it – sure, Tzu Chi is a rich organization and yes they can afford to give, but they don’t have to.

Coincidentally I came across this article today and what I read startled me and I wanted to highlight these two points below:

1.   Steven Huang says “God Bless America”. Even though Buddhists of course do not believe in the Judeo-Abrahamic-Christian godhead, Steven here is respecting the main religion of the United States, which is Christianity. Would Christians say the same thing if the roles were reversed? Here Buddhists were doing the giving. As the sponsor, they would probably be excused if they said May Buddha bless you. But instead, here they are saying God bless America.
2.   Tzu Chi encourages people to give back – not to themselves but to any charity of their choice. This I find very inspiring. Again of course, people can say oh well, they can afford it. Perhaps they can but it is the spirit they are promoting. Of generosity to others. And that it is not an agenda of giving that they hope to receive in return.

Awesome.

Buddhist Charitable Organization Returns To Central Regional Saturday For Storm Victims
http://lacey.patch.com/articles/buddhist-charitable-organization-returns-to-central-regional-saturday-for-storm-victims

The kindness of members of the nonprofit Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation moved many Bayville storm victims to tears almost two weeks ago.

Each resident who passed a police checkpoint and provided proof they lived in storm-shattered sections of Berkeley Township received up to $600 in debit gift cards, a fleece blanket, toiletries, toothbrushes, smiles, hugs and words of encouragement.

The Tzu Chi Foundation will return to Bayville at the Central Regional Middle School from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday. This time the recipients of their generosity will be storm victims from Ocean Gate, Seaside Heights and Seaside Park, Central Regional Schools Superintendent Triantafillos Parlapanides said.

• Seaside Park residents must pick up a pass at the Seaside Park Police Department, 6th and Central avenues, between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. on Friday. Residents must be full-time Seaside Park residents and provide a photo I.D. Only one pass will be issued per household, according to the Seaside Park website.

• Seaside Heights residents must obtain a pass at the Seaside Heights municipal building, 901 Boulevard, between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. on Friday. To obtain your pass you must bring a photo ID showing that you are a Seaside Heights resident.

• Ocean Gate residents can obtain a pass at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday at the municipal building from Mayor Paul J. Kennedy. Residents who qualify will be given a sealed pass with borough seal. No photo copies are accepted.

"Residents must keep in mind that this is for displaced families because of flooding from the storm," Kennedy said. "Loss of power, trees down in yard, etc. does not count. Also, if they received any money from FEMA or insurance for living expenses, they are not entitled to this program.

Toms River residents not included in Saturday's event

While it was orginally reported that displaced Toms River residents could participate in Saturday's event, that is incorrect, said Bob DiBiase, Toms River resource officer for the Department of Emergency Management.

Tzu Chi came to the Pine Belt Arena last weekend and distributed gift cards in the amount of $360,000 and personal items to affected Toms River residents, DiBiase said.

The event was posted on the township's web site and first responders distributed fliers to residents in affected areas, he said.

"We had a very short window," DiBiase said.

Tzu Chi literally means "compassionate relief."

Steven Huang, Tzu Chi's chief of operations, flew in from Taiwan to help coordinate efforts across New Jersey at the event nearly two weeks ago.

"God bless America," he said. "God bless all of you."

Tzu Chi's United States headquarters is in San Dimas, California and oversees more than 80 offices around the country. Volunteers pay for their own gas and hotel rooms when they respond to disasters, said Kevin Hsing Tao-Dai.

"Most of the volunteers here are from New Jersey," he said. "We all have jobs. If we do travel for events like this, we pay our own way."

The volunteers spanned out across different areas of the Central Regional gym, directing residents to verification stations. They guided residents to where they had to go. Many bowed before the people they came to help.

The volunteers had only one request.

They asked residents to take the donation banks included in their distribution bags, and add a little change to them every day. When the banks are filled, the volunteers asked that they donate to the charity of their choice.

"When you are back on your feet again, donate a little every day," one volunteer told the residents. "Pass it on."

Residents of the three towns must provide proof of residency at Saturday's event, before they will be eligible to receive the donations.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Ensapa

• Email
Haha kate, i laughed a little when i read your conversation with your friend.

I dont see anything wrong with your friend being not impressed but sometimes, it does make a difference whether or not someone who is capable of giving but not giving, and someone who is capable of giving giving. Some people tend to take it for granted. A very famous example in the tech world is how Bill Gates gave so much of his own money away, while Steve Jobs barely gave to any charity, but Steve Jobs had more fame due to hype, but when people found out about this, they lost their respect for Steve Jobs.

It is the mere act that they can give that counts, and not whether or not they can, nor the amount.