Author Topic: Anti - Tibetan Buddhism  (Read 4670 times)

sonamdhargey

Anti - Tibetan Buddhism
« on: October 12, 2012, 03:18:09 PM »
I came across an article about some foundation in Taiwan is Anti - Tibetan Buddhism. The foundation claims that The fundamental doctrine of Tibetan Tantric Buddhism requires followers to practice the Couple-Practice Tantra, having sex with as many partners as possible, including unlawful sexual relationship. As a result, active promotion of the Couple-Practice Tantra will distort the moral value of sexual relationship, corrupt ethical standards, and inevitably bring serious disasters. They also claimed that Tibetan Buddhism is an evil cult.

What are your opinions? Please share your thoughts here.

Read More here: [urlhttp://foundation.enlighten.org.tw/trueheart_en/14][/url]

sonamdhargey

Re: Anti - Tibetan Buddhism
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 03:30:22 PM »
Sorry please click on this link to read more. http://foundation.enlighten.org.tw/trueheart_en/14

Klein

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 07:37:43 PM »
This is the result of people abusing the practices of tantra. My Lama always reminded us, it is very important to represent Buddhism well by our actions. Otherwise, others will lose faith in Buddhism.

I don't blame the person writing the article as there may not be anyone in Taiwan to refer to with regards to tantra. The Chinese are used to the traditional Buddhism that is conservative. So Lamas who teach Buddhism using unconventional ways coupled with people who abuse tantric practice will naturally create lots of doubt in the community. It's for the public's safety because no one there can tell who is for real and who is not.

That's why it's important to educate the masses. Using social media is one of the fastest and most effective ways of disseminating info.

Barzin

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 08:08:41 PM »
With today's technology, every single piece of information can be easily found.  But in this age of "overloaded information", it is even harder to distinguish what is authentic and what is not.  It is really depend on one's mind to determine what information to absorb.  Every situation and piece of information is given to us, make us think, judge and make a decision.  So I don't think as an individual adult, an educated person would "blindly" follow one's faith or practice if they have not check the information thoroughly.

So i don't think it is fair to just take one piece of information out but blame the entire religion.  Religious freedom allows people to check what they are getting themselves into BUT higher tantra practice existed way before our current lifetime.  So if there is no result, wouldn't tantra die of already?  In actual fact, so many of us know very little about tantra practice so I don't think it is appropriate for us to decide whether it is good or bad.  Most important is to have full faith and trust in your lama and that includes a thorough check of your guru so you know it is authentic.  We are responsible for our practice, the path we choose, the choice we make.  So does our spiritual practice.

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 05:10:42 AM »
I came across an article about some foundation in Taiwan is Anti - Tibetan Buddhism. The foundation claims that The fundamental doctrine of Tibetan Tantric Buddhism requires followers to practice the Couple-Practice Tantra, having sex with as many partners as possible, including unlawful sexual relationship. As a result, active promotion of the Couple-Practice Tantra will distort the moral value of sexual relationship, corrupt ethical standards, and inevitably bring serious disasters. They also claimed that Tibetan Buddhism is an evil cult.

What are your opinions? Please share your thoughts here.

Read More here: [urlhttp://foundation.enlighten.org.tw/trueheart_en/14][/url]

From my understanding of Tibetan Buddhism, the need for couple-practice in Tantra is not compulsory as it can be visualized if at all needed to. If also depends on the practice itself. Having said that there may also be some tradition of Tantra that actually requires it.

Whatever the case, to be anti of the entire Tibetan Buddhism in its entirety is a gross mistake. It is a sweeping assumption and needs more investigation. Being Buddhist, we are suppose to be compassionate and this certainly is unbuddhist. This is a case of social norm/culture raring its ugly head and making unjustified assumptions and taking the wrong action and in the worst case may constitute wrong views which breaks one of the most important precepts of Buddhism of any tradition.

Please be careful. Karma is powerful.