Author Topic: The Way  (Read 8424 times)

bambi

The Way
« on: July 01, 2012, 06:07:19 PM »
A disciple was asking his master :

Disciple : "Where is the Way?"
Master : "Right before your eyes."
Disciple : "Why do I not see it?"
Master : "You do not see it because you have the notion of a self."
Disciple : "Because I have the notion of a self, I do not see it. Have the Master seen it?"
Master : "The notion of 'you,' in addition to the notion of a self, further keeps you from seeing."
"If there is neither the notion of 'you' nor the notion of a self, can it be seen?"
"If there is neither 'you' nor 'a self,' then who wants to see it?"

I know this might be 'deep' for some of us. But I really do not know what is the meaning of this teaching.
Can anyone help me understand in layman's term?

kurava

• Email
Re: The Way
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 02:06:17 AM »
This is deep.It is about the two truths in relation to the 4 profundities as presented in the Heart Sutra.
I will try. Whatever we are thinking is with our gross conceptual mind. We superimpose our concepts onto things hence masking them from its true nature . We therefore cannot see things objectively, that things do not have independent existence and are merely projections of our mind.This is ultimate truth.
On the other hand, although things have no true existence, they exist as functioning things. As long as we are happy with that, and do not subject them to further investigation we can  enjoy them for what they are, mere labels and imputation from mind.
To address the question,"If there is neither 'you' nor 'a self,' then who wants to see it?"
Mind is also a label and functioning thing. It cognizes and functions to be aware of objects. So its awareness combined with the visual sense faculties that sees. Conventionally, we can label the awareness as I and the object of awareness you ( the apprehended object ).

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 06:57:52 AM »
This is really deep but extremely compelling to see if my little knowledge of emptiness makes sense.

I have read that there are two truths, the conventional truth which is things and phenomena exists but not as we conceive them.  However the conventional truth is that we can see and experience the thing.  For example a table.  The table does exist and its usage is known.  However if we think deep, what is a table if we do not think of dependent arising.  A table is not a table if there are no trees, no equipment to convert the trees to wood and then the workmen to make it into a table. And for us to conceive its purpose.

Then the next is the ultimate truth which is emptiness which means there is nothing that truly exist if not for dependent arising.

This is as much as I can go on and please do not think that I am trying to expound emptiness because I do not have the qualifications nor knowledge nor experience to do so, but just a form of sharing so that some other comments and views may help me to understand better. Thank you.

eyesoftara

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 09:48:28 AM »
This is the notion of non self that can only mean non duality; that ultimately we are attached to the notion of a self that is only "good' for a single life. But since we have this notion, we will be stuck in samsara having the notion life after life only trying to achieve some form of temporary happiness that we mistakenly take for long term happiness. This is the cyclic of samsara and the root cause in the notion of a self and hence others. Every suffering derives from this "self".