Author Topic: Consort  (Read 14892 times)

hope rainbow

Re: Consort
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 10:41:07 AM »
This question can atually be extended to adults as I find that it is actualy often more difficult to explain the images of Buddhas in consorts union to adults than it is to children.
Children are actually much more open minded as they do not project "moral values" or "good/bad concepts" onto what they see.
Children also have an experience of sexuality that is very different from the desire-driven (or even guilt-driven) sexuality of most adults.

kurava

• Email
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 11:53:41 AM »
My grand kids hang around my place often. Surprisingly they never asked such questions.

I think when we don't hide or view statues of embracing deities as taboo, the young innocent minds just accept them naturally like they accept the sun and the moon.

Often, it is the adults' reaction or over reaction that give rise to confusion and negative connotation to buddha statues with consorts.

However, if my grand kids ask me, I would explain that the buddhas are expressing love to each other just like how they like to hug their mom and dad  ;D

Positive Change

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 12:53:16 PM »
This question can atually be extended to adults as I find that it is actualy often more difficult to explain the images of Buddhas in consorts union to adults than it is to children.
Children are actually much more open minded as they do not project "moral values" or "good/bad concepts" onto what they see.
Children also have an experience of sexuality that is very different from the desire-driven (or even guilt-driven) sexuality of most adults.

This is so true.... When tend to project our own perceptions, delusions and the way we think when explaining to kids. Sometimes it is best to just bite the bullet and tell it as it is. I find when talking or explaining to my God children, it is best to talk to them as I would an adult and not try to circumnavigate or talk down to them. Reason being, if the topic is too complicated or risqué then they would naturally lose interest or it would just go "past their heads" anyway... hence no "embarrassing" issues to explain further really. The embarrassment often comes from us and not them. And if they understand all the better... :)

With regards to the topic at hand, I would really try to explain it like I would another adult. Explaining to them the significance or rather the iconography of perhaps the Buddha image at hand and what it signifies etc. Rather than go into the "sexual" connotations, which if you think about it, when it comes to Tantra it isnt about that anyway! The very misconception of Tantra as something sexual is prevalent in these times that the very thought of explaining it to children actually makes us "embarrassed". My question is why should it? :P

Big Uncle

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 07:22:34 PM »
Sexuality and desire is the Hallmark of Vajrayana teachings and its resultant imagery. In the past, such imagery and practices were hidden and only revealed to the initiated. However, children are very educated and exposed these days and one way or another, they would find out the answer or they would be exposed to it anyway. It would be good if they were educated in a simple, yet easy to understand manner so they are not taught or exposed with something wayward or wrong.

KhedrubGyatso

• Email
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 04:14:03 AM »
I would like to add to the very good comments by BU.

We should not take kids for granted nowadays due to the amount of info that is freely accessible to them. I don't think explanations like birds and bees which was std advice decades back will work in present day. Kids get lots of info and education not only from us but from their peers , media and other influences.If we do not explain correctly, or take time to address their questions well, chances are they will slowly not trust us and start being influenced by other sources of info. An example is when Buddhists cannot provide a good  response to people who accuse us of praying to idols and statues. Without a convincing explanation, they will find answers elsewhere which may reinforce their doubts.
Keeping the statues or imagery covered as in public places of worship , temples etc , is appropriate. In our homes, there is no risk of disturbing the sensitivities of others as we can have lots of time to explain and educate our family members or even friends who visit.

Tammy

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 03:48:25 AM »
Sexuality and desire is the Hallmark of Vajrayana teachings and its resultant imagery. In the past, such imagery and practices were hidden and only revealed to the initiated. However, children are very educated and exposed these days and one way or another, they would find out the answer or they would be exposed to it anyway. It would be good if they were educated in a simple, yet easy to understand manner so they are not taught or exposed with something wayward or wrong.

Thank you Big Uncle for the suggestion, we should bring our kids to dharma from young, that's the only way to make sure they are taught the right way spiritually. Children's minds are like sponge, they absorb
whatever is given to them.. hence early education is vital in their upbringing.

No more - 'you are too young to know!'
No more - 'don't look!'
Our younger generation deserves the knowledge and blessings of DS!
Down with the BAN!!!

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 09:30:25 AM »
"This question can atually be extended to adults as I find that it is actualy often more difficult to explain the images of Buddhas in consorts union to adults than it is to children."

Thank you, Hope Rainbow for the above observation when asked how to answer children should they see buddha statutes in union.

I read through all the contributions in this article and cannot find the real answer whereby we can answer to a child or an adult.  Can some one enlighten me so that I can truly understand and explain.

It was very fortunate that I was taught the iconography of Vajrayogini and I can explain it should be asked.

Shall appreciate your explanation in a Dharmic way.  Thank you.