Author Topic: What is the meaning of Kyabje and how to get that title?  (Read 9873 times)

kris

What is the meaning of Kyabje and how to get that title?
« on: January 11, 2012, 06:47:50 PM »
I have heard about the title Kyabje often but don't know what it means, so I did a search on internet. I can't find much info. I found this here: http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Kyabj%C3%A9

Kyabjé (wyl. skyabs rje) is a mark of respect reserved for the seniormost lamas of the tradition, whose realization and powers are extraordinary. For example among today's Nyingmapa lamas it is used for the likes of Trulshik Rinpoche, Penor Rinpoche, Chatral Rinpoche, Taklung Tsetrul Rinpoche and Minling Trichen. The term means lord (jé) of refuge (kyab), signifying someone who, on account of his or her extraordinary realization, has the capacity to protect us from the suffering of samsara and its causes, the disturbing emotions. It is sometimes rendered into English as 'His Holiness' or 'His Eminence'.

Is this correct? Also, how a Lama is qualified for this title? Who is qualified to give this title?

Mana

Re: What is the meaning of Kyabje and how to get that title?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »
I have not heard of any official ceremony that confers the title "Kyabje", which means "the exalted one". I don't know about other traditions, but in Gelugpa, only very few lamas were given the title Kyabje, for example Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche, Kyabje Zong Rinpoche, Kyabje Yongyal Rinpoche...

How to get that title? In Gelugpa that would require very high spiritual attainments, very learned, and great contribution to the Dharma and Sangha.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 02:43:17 PM »
This is an interesting topic. Who would recognise the qualities for anyone to achieve that title? Would it be other high Lamas? Is there any particular process? Is it voted in or declared by the abbot of a monastery for example? Or must it be declared by another lama with the kyabje title?

I've always wondered about when someone gets the title His Holiness also. I see Lama Gangchen Rinpoche sometimes referred to as Kyabje, but I see his title is His Eminence, rather than His Holiness.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 11:54:44 AM »
The rigpa article has it right; kyab means 'refuge', as in kyab dro (going for refuge).

Je means 'lord, as in Dor-je (lord of stones)

Thus, Lord of Refuge.

thor

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 09:38:06 PM »
I have asked this same question of my Lama some months back. It seems that the title Kyabje is not a formal title but given to the Lama by peers and students. As Mana says, the person on whom this title is bestowed would have gained great recognition and respect for his erudition, his studies, his practice, his attainments and his great deeds to spread and preserve the Buddhadharma. 

Interestingly, my question to my lama came about when he received a letter from his monastery with the title Kyabje preceding his name. As I had not experienced my lama being addressed as "Kyabje" I took this opportunity to ask. Its a pity not many lay students of Buddhism know this fact about such honorifics. The Lamas have too much humility to explain, and not being familiar with the Tibetan tradition, great lamas such as my perfect teacher do not have the title of Kyabje although they are very deserving of it.

Would anyone know whether one can apply with the monastery to get such a title for one's lama?

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 02:40:04 PM »
Would anyone know whether one can apply with the monastery to get such a title for one's lama?
???

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 03:31:58 AM »
As a non Tibetan and practising Vajrayana Buddhism, it is sometimes confusing for us to comprehend fully the titles bestowed on high and esteemed lamas.

Some of the titles are bestowed due to being "recognised" and enthroned.  Official recognition can be either by the Root Guru, the Dalai Lama and confirmed and certified by Oracles. 

However for such titles like Kyabje it is by the peers and monastic order who recognises the work of great lamas and who had been benefitted by their teachings.  Such honour is of great value that it is from personal experience of the virtues of the person given the title.

sandra

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 04:46:55 AM »
Thank you for the sharing. There are many titles we may not know. However is good to know more especially regards to title giving to high lamas.