Author Topic: Taking refuge in the Dharma, the best protection  (Read 16214 times)

WoselTenzin

Taking refuge in the Dharma, the best protection
« on: December 07, 2011, 04:00:49 PM »
Nothing lasts forever.  No matter how bad or desperate a situation we are in, it will pass. The mental suffering we feel is in the mind. If we do not eliminate the suffering in our mind, we will carry it with us wherever we go. It would be better to contemplate on why we are suffering at any point of time and apply the Dharma we have learnt as the antidote.  That is taking refuge in the Dharma, the best protection.

What does everyone think?

Klein

Re: Taking refuge in the Dharma, the best protection
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 07:09:59 PM »
Whether or not it is the best protection is a personal conclusion that we arrive at.

Learning and practising the dharma will slowly alleviate the mental sufferings we experience, may it be stress, anger, depression and so on. How much effort we put in to practising the teachings will determine how fast we progress. When we start to experience less sufferings, we become more convinced that dharma does help with our daily problems. Through time and consistency, we will realise that our self absorbed attitude is the root problem of our unhappiness.

Practising the dharma is about being selfless. So through logic we can already see how being selfless or opposite of self absorption or selfishness can lead to no mental sufferings, eventually.

Tenzin K

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 07:27:34 PM »
A lot of people believe that happiness is the fulfillment of their attachment.
In order to be more happy they contemplate on how to fulfill bigger attachment which they believe that it's eternity of happiness. This wrong view will bring more suffering and once this happiness been taken away one might not be able to take it or accept it.
Samsaric happiness is temporal.

What last forever is the merit we collected from our meritorious act.
How in order for us to do so is to learn from the Buddha's teaching.

The benefit from taking refuge in the Dharma is for lasting happiness where the focus of the practice is for beneficial for others. We are not the only being live in this world. The Dharma is the way for us to find ourselves and liberate us from all our delusion.   

KhedrubGyatso

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 03:19:57 AM »
In Buddhism, we talk about taking Refuge in the 3 jewels.
For most of us , to stabilise our refuge, we need all 3 and they are inseparable.
Nevertheless, subjectively speaking, Dharma is considered the best protection because it is the knowledge and realization in our mind that is both the cause and effect for transformation. When we encounter any situation, everything is happening within our mind.
The buddha and sangha jewels acts as supporting factors in training our mind. When one is attained like a Rinpoche, one becomes the embodiment of the 3 jewels.

In Vajrayana, refuge becomes more dynamic and  morphing into the Guru, Yidam and Protector relating to the Path and Fruit of one's practice.

hope rainbow

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 04:50:38 PM »
If we do not eliminate the suffering in our mind, we will carry it with us wherever we go.
It would be better to contemplate on why we are suffering at any point of time and apply the Dharma we have learnt as the antidote. 
That is taking refuge in the Dharma, the best protection.

What does everyone think?

This sums up RENUNCIATION.

Giving up the causes of suffering on the basis of 4 things:
1. we have understood suffering.
2. we have understood the causes for it.
3. we acknowledge that we can break free from suffering.
4. we validate and practice a method to gain this freedom.

Thus what is to be renounced?
The causes of suffering.

Why do we still find it hard to practice the method?
Because of this only: we still have not fully realized the very first step: understanding suffering.
And maybe we have an excellent conceptual understanding of it, but we think it only applies to others, "those who suffer", "those miserable people" we see on CNN while we are eating our diner on our comfi couch.
(I say "we" to hide, but I think "I")

diamond girl

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 01:15:25 PM »
Taking Refuge in the Dharma is truly the best protection. In the dharma one practices goodness and learns ways of mind transformation. The dharma is a blissful way of living. I say this because when we do virtuous acts and benefit others we collect merits, and we can also dedicate these merits to others. In giving one generates more compassion. and to live with compassion in our hearts is truly liberating.

pgdharma

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 03:34:39 PM »
Being a Buddhist we take refuge in the Three Jewels which includes the dharma. When we put into practice what we learn, we see our mind transform. All sufferings are self inflicted and it is within us to liberate that suffering by understanding the dharma and applying the antidote.

Reena Searl

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 06:00:10 PM »
Taking refuge in the dharma definitely the best protection, infuse our daily live with dharma make us happier, outwardly we still face obstacles and problems, but with mind transformation, I become a person with less anger and high tolerance. To me,  The protection of taking refuge in the Dharma is a long lasting secure investment for my present and future life.

KhedrubGyatso

• Email
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 04:09:47 AM »
Hi, seems like all of us are in agreement here that Dharma is the best protection. We all swear by the Dharma.  Since this is what we believe in, perhaps we should look deeper into what this Dharma we are talking about is in order to get the most benefit from it ?
Point for discussion:
1. Many here said Dharma is about mind transformation - a lot of people change their mind without knowing Buddhadharma. What is this mind we are refering to ? Do we know our mind? What is the relationship between mind and dharma?

2.Many of us transform from a mischievous, rude, stupid or  shy kid into a responsible well mannered intelligent  adult without studying dharma. Is whatever they have picked up while growing up Dharma?

Poonlarp

• Email
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 04:46:33 AM »
I agree taking refuge in Dharma is a protection.

Forgive me for not having huge knowledge about Dharma, for my understanding through random study, Dharma is not something religious, it's something that benefits others. So for people who know nothing about Buddhism, but they are doing works that benefiting others, they are doing Dharma, and if they believe by doing this and holding onto this, their life becoming better, all their problems not hurting them anymore because they see helping others more than anything else, they are taking refuge to the Dharma.

The refuge protects them from being defeated by big problems.

But if we speaking at the complete protection, a path that leading us to enlightenment, to a level of no more suffering, it must be taking refuge to the 3 Jewels, the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.

hope rainbow

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 02:02:15 PM »
Hi, seems like all of us are in agreement here that Dharma is the best protection.
We all swear by the Dharma. 
Since this is what we believe in, perhaps we should look deeper into what this Dharma we are talking about is in order to get the most benefit from it ?
Point for discussion:

Thank you KG, I'll give a try to this.

1. Many here said Dharma is about mind transformation - a lot of people change their mind without knowing Buddhadharma.
What is this mind we are refering to?
Do we know our mind?
What is the relationship between mind and dharma?

Dharma is the method and the teaching that can bring us to the realization and recognition of the true workings of our mind(s).
It is only Dharma though if these teachings are meant to bring us to the liberation from the vicious causes of the sufferings that our mind(s) suffer from, an ABSOLUTE liberation that is!

I say mind(s), and not mind, because what we think of as "our mind" is changing constantly, now relaxed, then irritated, then compassionate, then impatient...
That constantly changing state of emotions is what I conceptualize with the word "mind", right?

Thus, to the question; "do I know my mind?" I say yes, I know it for being unreliable, changing and easily angry.
Thus, the real answer is: NO, I don't know my mind for it is always clouded with afflictions and distractions and jumps from one thing to another at such a speed, that the self-observation of my "mind" by my "mind" just seems like MISSION IMPOSSIBLE...

That mind is also what I think of as "me", right?

2.Many of us transform from a mischievous, rude, stupid or shy kid into a responsible well mannered intelligent  adult without studying dharma.
Is whatever they have picked up while growing up Dharma?

Well, I say, are we talking about learning social good manners and skills to interact with a community?
Or are we talking about the ULTIMATE teaching that brings about ABSOLUTE liberation?

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 02:24:45 PM »
Mind transformation as in the eight verses focus on eliminating the self-cherishing mind by promoting our transformation of our self first others second or others never attitude into others being more important. It is an antidote to our self cherishing mind. It leads us into the compassionate mind, altruism and thru that to relative bodhhicitta and ultimate boddhicitta ie wisdom. It is when we realize that ultimately we are on interconnected in a non-duality. Hence it leads us to realize that karma is pervasive.
So the basic practice of dharma is to realize karma is always at work. That is the best medicine.

vajrastorm

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 06:34:44 AM »
KG says we should look deeply into what this Dharma, that offers us the best protection, is. What is this Dharma? In answer, I will say that the Dharma from a deeper  perspective is the Dharma of the Lamrim(here it is the Lamrim as is presented in Je Pabongka’s Liberation In The Palm Of Your Hand), which represents the entire teachings of Lord Buddha. The Lamrim is the Dharma in its entirety given in the form of The Graduated Stages Of The Path To Enlightenment.  In Liberation, Je Pabongka has presented the Stages of the Path in the form of training the mind in these Stages. This is the most effective way of enabling us to mix the Dharma with our minds as we study the Lamrim.
Thus the Lamrim begins with the Foundation of the Path, which is Relying On The Spiritual Guide and Guru Devotion, the pith of the Path.
Then it takes us through three scopes:
(1)The Small Scope – Training the Mind in the Stages of the Path Shared with the
                                           Small Scope;
(2)The Medium Scope – Training the Mind in the Stages of the Path Shared with
                                            the Medium Scope; and
(3) The Great Scope – Training the Mind in the Stages of the Path of the
                                           Great Scope.
Below is an outline and summary of the 3 scopes.
(1)   The Small Scope  is about training the mind to develop a yearning for a good rebirth. This scope includes recognizing the preciousness of the optimum human rebirth and taking its essence; meditating on and realizing impermanence and remembering the inevitability of Death, the uncertainty of when Death will occur and how only Dharma counts at Death; recognizing the importance of  having faith and of taking Refuge in the Three Jewels and of modifying one’s behavior in accordance with the Law of Cause and Effect, Karma(to protect one from rebirth in the Lower Realms); understanding Karma and taking Refuge in it by abandoning non-virtuous actions and  engaging only in virtuous actions(to create causes for happiness and avoid causes for suffering).
(2)   The Medium Scope is about developing thoughts of yearning for Liberation from Samsara and renunciation of Samsara. This is done through first  ascertaining the true and pervasive nature of suffering and realizing that Samsara is in the nature of suffering, and through ascertaining the true origins of suffering – Karma and delusions(mainly the three poisons of desirous attachment, ignorance and hatred /anger). Then one ascertains the true path that will liberate one from suffering and the nature of this path.
(3)  The Great Scope is the scope of entering the path of the Boddhisattva or Child of the Victors and treading it to attain Full Liberation and Buddhahood. Here we begin with training to develop great compassion and altruistic love for all mother beings, that is Bodhicitta. One has developed Bodhicitta when one has a spontaneous wish to bring all mother beings to total liberation from suffering and commits to treading the Path to Full Enlightenment in order to fulfill this wish. Together with developing Bodhicitta, one trains in the deeds and ways of a Bodhisattva to attain the higher stages of the Path to Full Enlightenment, that is, one trains in the Six Perfections of Generosity, Moral Discipline, Patience, Joyous Effort, Concentration and Wisdom. One also trains in the uncommon path, the Vajrayana.   

It is essential to  cultivate the three fundamental aspects of the Path -  Renunciation, Bodhicitta and the Correct View of Emptiness. – in order to attain all the stages of the Path to Full Liberation and Enlightenment.

Berry

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 05:28:16 PM »
Dharma is the best protection, Dharma cuts down my anger and attachment.

When I live with Dharma, I found myself a happier person now.

Lawrence L

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 07:48:51 PM »
Yes, the best protection is the Dharma.
From taking refuge in Dharma, we understand the reason why we encounter hardship or suffering is because karma. By understanding/accepting the law of karma solely, we could cut down our attachment and anger. Then by cutting down our anger, we could cultivate compassion qualities in ourselves. Then by cutting down our attachment, we could cultivate altruism mind!

With less anger and more compassion qualities and altruism mind, we have the protection from fear to lose face, lose the things/people we attached to, lose our personal leisure time and have more patient to people and the mind to benefits others, how beautiful it is! We no longer live in a impermanence world without a guide, without a direction.