Author Topic: Are we practising Dharma when we are selective?  (Read 26233 times)

Manjushri

Re: Are we practising Dharma when we are selective?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 09:58:59 PM »
First of, I would like to say that this forum is very interesting - it covers so many different topics.

Personally I do not think that we are practising Dharma when we are selective be it in terms of the work, attitude to others, transformation etc.

Selectivity is only a perception and a limit/barrier in our minds that we have created for ourselves. If we are selective in doing Dharma, does that mean that we help this person but not help another person? No - because it reflects attachment to a certain type or certain person hence biasness which would go against what Dharma teaches which is to be all-encompassing. If we are selective the motivation to begin with would be wrong and it could even create negative karma on our part, as we shun away from responsibilities, liabilities and compassion - so how would we achieve Bodhicitta?

Tenzin K

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 03:47:22 PM »
Selectiveness to me is lazy and selfish.
We choose what we want to do, who we want to talk or even choose just want to look good and don't bother to help. This is selective and definitely not Dharma practice.

Dharma practice is to benefit others, if we choose our own comfort as priority it's impossible for us to help others because our first act is for our own selfishness & laziness.

We should be open to our practice in the sense of accept what ever instruction from or Guru. If in the wordly world we always find excuses and push away responsibility due to our laziness and just want to take rather than give , in Dharma practice the task frm the Guru is for us to be a better person and ultimately free from all unhappiness. No point being selective in our dharma practice because the lesser we do the lesser we benefited and the slower we reach happiness.

Dharma practice is not about convenient but about mind transformation from consistent learning and practice. The more effort we put in the more we gain.     

sahara

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 10:44:12 AM »
Most people now still being selective when there doing dharma work.....Personally... i know Dharma practice is to benefit others, if we choose our own comfort as priority it's impossible for us to help others because our first act is for our own selfishness & laziness.
Dharma practice is not about convenient but about mind transformation from consistent learning and practice. The more effort we put in the more we gain. Therefore , if we being selective in dharma...  so how would we achieve Bodhicitta :'(

hope rainbow

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 01:35:55 PM »
In short - be selective with the right motiviation and depends on situation.

This may apply to being selective to tasks or objects.
But when it comes to beings, I think this applies:

If we have compassion for ALL sentient beings EXCEPT ONE! We do not have real compassion.

So who is (are) your "ONE'S"?
They should be the main object of our compassion.

bambi

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 04:51:28 PM »
A lot of us are not aware of it but we do it occasionally.  Like me, I try every day to be better, to change the bad habits that have stuck with me for years but only on CERTAIN issues, which is so WRONG....  I ADMIT!  ;D  Nobody is perfect, well of course the Buddhas and the Holy Sanghas are... I am still selective and at times I admit I am unaware of it until I take a step back when I feel that something is not right and think of ways to remind myself again and again.  It is good to approach the person whom we feel are selective and try to advise them that its not right and hope they can appreciate it like how I would like someone to approach me and remind me.  One day at a time and we can all be better at cutting these selectiveness....

puccachip

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 05:52:01 PM »
Having a tendency to want to do only what is comfortable and avoiding to do what we don't like. It’s not about what benefits others but what we are comfortable doing.

Being nice to some people but are indifferent or even offensive to others because of personal differences.

Discriminating people based on our perceived opinion of them

Being nice to people who have authority and can provide security, wealth, position or protection but indifferent towards those who can't.

Is being selective in ways above in line with practising Dharma?   
How do i know ,i  practice Dorje Shugden in a collect way?  ???

valeriecheung

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 12:09:55 PM »
Yes i think we should not selective but i'm still honest to say. But never give up to improve one by one cause no one is perfect unless you are enlighten. For people can transform immediately is the best but no matter how still need a "GURU" to guide and remind us. Without a guru i think is impossible.

Compassion with immeasurable is a big word for me. Maybe now we should at least do dharma work to benefit others then later will less selective. That why i'm practising....

;D ;D