Author Topic: Nepali reaction to self immolations there  (Read 10199 times)

Barzin

Re: Nepali reaction to self immolations there
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 02:35:01 PM »
I just don't understand the concept here.  I understand there are different levels of mind out there but if a monk does that, it is quite unacceptable because of the image one portray that he should have the understanding of dharma regardless of what degree based on "the precious human life" is the very subject Buddhist study at the very beginning.

However on the contrary, perhaps some being thinking to sacrifice to god or their own country is very noble.  Whatever the reason is, this has a lot to do with one's integrity and faith to the religion and country.  But what i found interesting is that why Nepal is being so difficult to hand over the body? 

dondrup

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 03:36:49 PM »
It is downright unnecessary and unfortunate that another self-immolation had occurred!  What had the previous self-immolations accomplished?  By now the Tibetans should realise that it is impossible to free Tibet.  There is simply no hope of regaining the independence or autonomy from China!  Why continue to sacrifice precious human lives for this “free Tibet cause”?  Buddha had never taught His disciples to commit suicide! The current and the past self-immolation by the monks had set very bad examples and caused disrepute to Buddhism.  Self-immolation will not be a threat to China!

Instead of free Tibet, Tibetans should free themselves from the attachment to their home land.  If the Tibetans cannot free themselves internally by creating the correct causes for future happiness, they will not find the true freedom – inner peace.  Tibetans continue to create the causes of sufferings! 

Karma is true.  Tibetans had collectively created the cause in their past lives to lose their country in this life!  Tibetans must accept this reality and move on.  In the future, Chinese will experience similar result for occupying Tibet! 

Every human lives temporary on this planet Earth for a very short duration.  Every human will soon die.  The Tibetans cannot bring along their country Tibet with them when they die.  Why struggle and sacrifice for the physical land?  Wouldn’t it be better to struggle for the betterment of their minds and to accomplish liberation from samsara and full enlightenment?

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 03:37:19 AM »
I think by now it is pretty clear that the CTA are not run by Buddhists at all but by selfish individuals who are using Buddhism and the Dalai Lama for self gain and their own agendas rather than actually working for the people and working towards preserving their culture and Buddhism in Dharamsala. They must have thirsted the power of the ministers in Tibet pre-1959, and that it is probably that their powers and their wealth has been greatly reduced while being in Dharamsala. It could also have something to do with the 99 year lease that the Indian government have so kindly lent to the Tibetans (which the Tibetans have done nothing to repay). In any case, we can say that there arent much altruistic reasons for CTA wanting so desperately for Tibet to be free.

Big Uncle

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 04:00:12 AM »
It is really sad but there doesn't seem to be anybody who is really doing anything about the self-immolation cases. So many have died but very little is done and I don't understand why the Tibetans keep killing themselves in this most gruesome manner. Their death doesn't move anybody, not even a neutral party like the Nepalese Government. Instead of moving anybody, it has enraged the Nepalese because it on the grounds of the holy Boudhanath Stupa.

I personally think that Nepalese Government is really fed up with the reactionary Tibetans, that are forever trying to protest and get some unnecessary attention. I think if the Tibetans in Nepal are not careful, they will come down harder on the Tibetans. I hope they are smart enough to see this but I doubt it. There are over 80 people that died from self-immolation and they are no where near coming close to their goal and still more people are self-immolating themselves. On top of that, like what some people have mentioned, the Tibetan authorities have said little or nothing to stop this. This is basically a most tragic of circumstances.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 04:05:39 AM »
It is really sad but there doesn't seem to be anybody who is really doing anything about the self-immolation cases. So many have died but very little is done and I don't understand why the Tibetans keep killing themselves in this most gruesome manner. Their death doesn't move anybody, not even a neutral party like the Nepalese Government. Instead of moving anybody, it has enraged the Nepalese because it on the grounds of the holy Boudhanath Stupa.

I personally think that Nepalese Government is really fed up with the reactionary Tibetans, that are forever trying to protest and get some unnecessary attention. I think if the Tibetans in Nepal are not careful, they will come down harder on the Tibetans. I hope they are smart enough to see this but I doubt it. There are over 80 people that died from self-immolation and they are no where near coming close to their goal and still more people are self-immolating themselves. On top of that, like what some people have mentioned, the Tibetan authorities have said little or nothing to stop this. This is basically a most tragic of circumstances.

The last time the Tibetans courted trouble with the Nepali government was when they set up a tibetan reception center in Nepal without permits or approval from the government. That was really a no brainer and what they have done has greatly angered the Nepali government and they actually shut down that center. Then, the Tibetans, instead of apologizing and going through the proper procedures, posted a sob story on phayul saying how cruel the Nepali government was and how they are discriminated in other countries. It was horrible...especially the way they reacted to the whole thing and i am not surprised if the Nepali government would tighten the harness on the Tibetans there if they do not follow the rules of the Nepali government.

hope rainbow

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 11:49:07 AM »
A GRIM MILESTONE

NEPAL
On Feb. 13, a young Tibetan monk living in exile in Kathmandu doused his body in gasoline and set himself alight.

His fiery protest added to the toll of Tibetan self immolations, which this month eclipsed 100 since 2009.
The bulk have taken place within the borders of China, where ethnic Tibetans chafe against Beijing's authoritarian rule and complain of discrimination.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 06:06:00 AM »
A GRIM MILESTONE

NEPAL
On Feb. 13, a young Tibetan monk living in exile in Kathmandu doused his body in gasoline and set himself alight.

His fiery protest added to the toll of Tibetan self immolations, which this month eclipsed 100 since 2009.
The bulk have taken place within the borders of China, where ethnic Tibetans chafe against Beijing's authoritarian rule and complain of discrimination.

that's as far as the news about self immolations of the Tibetans will go: the small print in the middle of the magazine column, along with the rest of the unimportant news that does not make an impact to anyone at all. And even despite this, the CTA does not understand that what they are doing will not bring the attention that they crave from the world which they will never get because 1) too many self immolations have happened and it has "cheapened" the self immolations and 2) too many passive hints that the CTA is the master behind the self immolations and I dont think people would really take the CTA too seriously the more self immolations they have, the more the world will be numb to them.

Gabby Potter

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 06:29:31 AM »
In my opinion, I do not agree with the fact that people have to " kill " themselves in order to make something happen because things do not always work like that. I've never trusted the fact that we have to hurt ourselves to get something unless if it was to save others' lives.