Author Topic: Home funerals  (Read 9519 times)

Jessie Fong

Home funerals
« on: January 26, 2013, 01:11:08 PM »

How do we deal with death and the dead?  It is common practice that the dead are given a decent send-off on their last journey by cremation or burial.  In most parts of the world, such funerals are handled by professional undertakers who will arrange everything from A to Z.

But now, there is a shift .... I came across the following article:

A little over five years ago, Alison and Doug Kirk held their 9-year-old daughter's hand as she lay on a futon in their Nashville living room, told her they loved her, and watched her take her last breath.

The Kirks had known for a long time that their little girl, Caroline, would die. In her last weeks, she was under hospice care, lived off an oxygen machine, was fed through a tube, and spoke only in small murmurs. It was the normal course for a child born with Niemann-Pick, a terminal disease that gradually leads to the breakdown of the nervous system, brain and lungs.

What happened after Caroline's death was anything but typical.

Alison and Doug carried Caroline upstairs to the bathtub, where they washed her skin and hair, dried her limp, 45-pound body with a towel and placed her head on a pillow on the bed in her old room. Alison slipped a white communion dress on Caroline, turned up the air-conditioning and put ice packs by her daughter’s sides. She put pink lipstick on the child's paling lips, and covered up Caroline's toes and fingers, which were turning blue at the nails, with the family quilt.

Caroline stayed in her bedroom for 36 hours for her final goodbyes. There was no traditional funeral home service, and no coroner or medical examiner was on hand. Caroline's death was largely a home affair, with a short cemetery burial that followed.

"We had taken care of Caroline her whole life," recalls Alison, whose other daughter, Kate, has the same disease and will also have a home funeral. "Why would we give her to someone else once she died?"

Read more on .... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/25/home-funerals-death-mortician_n_2534934.html

buddhalovely

• Email
Re: Home funerals
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 04:20:01 PM »
It’s part of a small but growing movement in the United States to take back death. Led by aging baby boomers, often dealing with the deaths of their parents and facing their own mortality, Americans are slowly relearning what it means to care for their own dead.

A home funeral can encompass a memorial service, wake, viewing or a combination of the three. It's also an intimate experience: Friends or family members might help wash and dress the body, build or decorate a casket, plan a memorial service or accompany the deceased to the burial site or crematory.

kris

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 10:28:33 PM »
In a lot of the cultures, death is quite a taboo thing, and often people don't know how to deal with "dead bodies". It is actually quite ironic because, a few minutes before a person is dead, he/she is still a person, but after he/she has passed away, suddenly we don't know how to deal with him/her anymore..

I have heard of a group of Buddhist practitioners (one of Mahayana schools) also encourage the family to take care of the deceased after the death. They did the clean up everything at home. My wife has been to one of these occasions and and was very impressed with their service.

apprenticehealer

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 04:25:21 AM »
There is nothing morbid about home funerals. It is a beautiful , intimate and private way of saying goodbye to a person's loved one.

There is a belief that upon one's death, it is best to leave the deceased in a quiet space , to allow the mind of the deceased to transit over to clear light in peace. All the crying and wailing , the holding onto the body , the undertakers coming in to take the body away etc will only disrupt the peace of the transition and more importantly, caused the mind of the deceased to be still attached to the ones he had left behind and to his physical body. I do like this belief.

The best and final way to say goodbye is to lovingly, respectfully and quietly wash and dress the person that we loved , lay the person in a quiet room and then after, make all the necessary phone calls and arrangements. And of course, do our prayers and mantras all the time.

This is a wonderful way to bade our final farewell to someone whom we loved and cherished in his lifetime and the best goodbye 'gift' we can offer to the deceased is to pray for his good rebirth in his future lives.

dondrup

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 12:52:45 PM »
How do we deal with death and the dead?

Good question!  It is also a question many do not like to answer when they are faced with it.  It is important to prepare for this and not wait for the final moment! 

Home funeral seems to be the trend now.  There are advantages and disadvantages when opting for home funeral as presented in this article on Caroline’s death.   

The person(s) performing the funeral must know precisely what to do.  Allison and Doug seemed to know very well what they need and what’s best for their daughter.  Whatever option one chooses for the funeral, one must ensure the dead has a good and swift rebirth! 

diablo1974

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 10:22:47 AM »
A lot of times, when someone passes away, one of the most common things to do is call the funeral parlour and then we will be presented a set of menus to choose from and they will do the rest. From the selection of coffin to the grandeur of the funeral setup, price differs.

If i have an option, i would prefer myself to be ready for death when the time comes. I agree on the point that we need a qualified spiritual brother to perform the necessary rituals and prayers. But what is most important is a compassionate heart that exudes the positive energy of helping others, in this case is the living and the dead when in desperate need.

Positive Change

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 06:40:40 PM »
I am a firm believer in, if given the chance, it would be better to give the person some dignity at the time of their death. The care and love given by a loved one is a far cry from nurses doing their "job". Nothing against nurses and I am sure they do the best to their abilities but there is a difference!

However having said that, it may be difficult for the loved ones to actually go through the process of cleaning the body etc because they may still be traumatized by the death and cannot yet accept that the person laying lifeless was their loved one.

Perhaps that is the reason why a funeral home or a morgue seems the norm even though impersonal. Maybe it is also the fact that the body of the loved one is merely just that, so why cling on to one that has left their bodily form. Perhaps! 

Dorje Pakmo

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 06:19:47 PM »
I think the reason why many people engage professional undertakers and hold funerals at funeral parlour is mainly because they are inexperience and really are unsure of what to do with the deceased. From cleaning the body, dressing up, ordering casket, holding a funeral service and religious rituals. It is an overwhelming thing if one is not ready to accept the death of a loved one, and are grieving.

However, if people start to understand that death is actually a new beginning for the deceased and accepting the fact that the body of that person may have ceased to function, but the mind is still very much alive and is around them. Then I think perhaps, it is not that hard to hold a home funeral for loved ones who have passed away and spend some final moments with them before the body are taken care of (cremated/buried).

Instead of grieving, one should keep the deceased mind calm by celebrating his/her life and at the same time have a qualified person over to do the necessary rituals.

Following link is an article about home funeral:
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/20845739/ns/health-behavior/t/more-families-are-bringing-funerals-home/#.UQv0Qx1MRIM
DORJE PAKMO

RedLantern

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 07:48:23 AM »
A "home funeral" is a non commercial,family centered response to death that involves the family and it's social community in the care and preparation of the body for burial or  cremation,and/or in planning and carrying out related rituals or ceremonies,and/or in the burial or cremation  itself.
A"home funeral" may occur entirely within the family home  or not.It is differentiated from the "institutional funeral"by it's emphasis on minimal,no invasive care and preparation of the body,on it's reliance on the family's
own social network for assistance and support,and on the relative or total absence of commercial funeral providers in it's proceedings.
"Home funerals" are enjoying a revival because people find an advantage to them,There are laws to follow,forms to fill out,but more and more families are finding this is a viable alternative to modern funerals.

Big Uncle

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 12:02:07 PM »
Well, I do think home funerals are a nice touch provided the loved ones managing the decease don't keep weeping in the presence of the deceased. In Buddhism, we believe that the mind of the deceased would still be hovering nearby or in the corpse itself. If the deceased died suddenly, the deceased would be scared and would be unable to move on. So, weeping is not a good idea as it disturbs their mind and that's why they cannot let go.

For the actual handling of the body, it would be good to always have a lamrim or any holy text placed on the head and have mani pills and consecrated water placed in the mouth of the deceased. If possible, a holy altar to the 3 Jewels be constructed near the body and pujas and mantras be recited and blown on the body as much as possible. Some of the best mantras to recite are Om Mani Padme Hum and Medicine Buddha's mantra as well. Good pujas that we can do is the Lama Chopa and also Dorje Shugden's Kangsol and Serkyem. It would be good for the loved ones to recite 10 rounds of Om Mani Padme Hum or Dorje Shugden's mantra or both.

That's what has been adviced to me by a monk friend and I thought I share them here to the best of my memory. 

Rihanna

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 03:57:41 AM »
I think what Alison and Doug Kirk did for their daughter Caroline was very good. To give her the comfort of home, parental care instead of staying in a hospice and being cared for by strangers. That is the last best thing to do for your loved ones if they had not been given the dharma. At least Caroline's mind will be at peace when she leaves. And that is so important at one's time of death...

For me, to prepare to die is more meaningful than after death, which is, the wake. I, for one, does not believe in wake as it is a drain of resources; time, energy and finances. Just cremate the body, wrap up the remains in a bag and throw it into the bin. What it is is just used carcass.

DSFriend

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 09:33:37 AM »
Outwardly at a physical location, we deal with deaths in a hospital, by the roadside of a tragic accident, at a funeral home, right in our own home etc. Inwardly, we all deal with death with indescribable pain and loss. For some, though the pain of loss is felt,  yet a feeling of release is experienced especially having seen a loved one going through much suffering. But non are free from great sorrow.

However, there are some who experience great sorrow with despair and yet some with hope...hope from a grounded faith/spirituality. Is spirituality a man made mumbo-jumbo to give some fake hope for the unseen after death?

No, it is not mumbo-jumbo. Is is mumbo-jumbo to not believe in reincarnation and how we live our lives affecting our future lives. Don't stop at just observing the many being born and die. Learn and do something about it for yourselves and your loved ones.

pgdharma

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 03:47:01 PM »
One of the benefits of home funeral is psychological as there’s a tremendous increase in healing and acceptance of death for the family to touch and see and be with the departed. Home funerals aim is to protect what it calls individuals’ “right” to care for their own death and to dispel the fear and denial that accompany institutionalized approach to death. It is more humane and healing as compared to handing the body over to a mortician for embalming and display before cremation/burial.
Another benefit of a home funeral is price. A home funeral can cost only a fraction of mortuary funeral. Staying at home in the last days may be more meaningful and caring. An expensive doctor may ensure that a huge sum of money is spent and the patient NEVER COMES HOME ALIVE. After spending most or all of the family money the patient dies like all poor people without doctors and hospital. Below is an interesting article written by Dr. Ken Murray
How Doctors Die   
It's Not Like the Rest of Us, But It Should Be

by Dr Ken Murray

“Years ago, Charlie, a highly respected orthopaedist and a mentor of mine, found a lump in his stomach. He had a surgeon explore the area, and the diagnosis was pancreatic cancer. This surgeon was one of the best in the country. He had even invented a new procedure for this exact cancer that could triple a patient's five-year-survival odds--from 5 percent to 15 percent--albeit with a poor quality of life.

Charlie was uninterested. He went home the next day, closed his practice, and never set foot in a hospital again. He focused on spending time with family and feeling as good as possible. Several
months later, he died at home. He got no chemotherapy, radiation, or surgical treatment. Medicare didn't spend much on him.

It's not a frequent topic of discussion, but doctors die, too. And they don't die like the rest of us. What's unusual about them is not how much treatment they get compared to most Americans, but how little. For all the time they spend fending off the deaths of others, they tend to be fairly serene when faced with death themselves. They know exactly what is going to happen, they know the choices, and they generally have access to any sort of medical care they could want. But they go gently.

Of course, doctors don't want to die; they want to live. But they know enough about modern medicine to know its limits. And they know enough about death to know what all people fear most: dying in pain, and dying alone. They've talked about this with their families. They want to be sure, when the time comes, that no heroic measures will happen--that they will never experience, during their last moments on earth, someone breaking their ribs in an attempt to
resuscitate them with CPR (that's what happens if CPR is done right).

Almost all medical professionals have seen what we call "futile care" being performed on people. That's when doctors bring the cutting edge of technology to bear on a grievously ill person near the end of life. The patient will get cut open, perforated with tubes, hooked up to machines, and assaulted with drugs. All of this occurs in the Intensive Care Unit at a cost of tens of thousands of dollars a day. What it buys is misery we would not inflict on a terrorist. I cannot count the number of times fellow physicians have told me, in words that vary only slightly, "Promise me if you find me like this that you'll kill me." They mean it. Some medical personnel wear
medallions stamped "NO CODE" to tell physicians not to perform CPR on them. I have even seen it as a tattoo.

To administer medical care that makes people suffer is anguishing. Physicians are trained to gather information without revealing any of their own feelings, but in private, among fellow
doctors, they'll vent. "How can anyone do that to their family members?" they'll ask. I suspect its one reason physicians have higher rates of alcohol abuse and depression than professionals in
most other fields. I know its one reason I stopped participating in hospital care for the last 10 years of my practice.

How has it come to this--that doctors administer so much care that they wouldn't want for themselves? The simple, or not-so-simple, answer is this: patients, doctors, and the system.

To see how patients play a role, imagine a scenario in which someone has lost consciousness and been admitted to an emergency room. As is so often the case, no one has made a plan for this situation, and shocked and scared family members find themselves caught up in a maze of choices. They're overwhelmed. When doctors ask if they want "everything" done, they answer yes. Then the nightmare begins. Sometimes, a family really means "do everything," but often
they just mean "do everything that's reasonable." The problem is that they may not know what's reasonable, nor, in their confusion and sorrow, will they ask about it or hear what a physician may be telling them. For their part, doctors told to do "everything" will do it, whether it is reasonable or not.

The above scenario is a common one. Feeding into the problem are unrealistic expectations of what doctors can accomplish. Many people think of CPR as a reliable lifesaver when, in fact, the
results are usually poor. I've had hundreds of people brought to me in the emergency room after getting CPR. Exactly one, a healthy man who'd had no heart troubles (for those who want specifics, he had a "tension pneumothorax"), walked out of the hospital. If a patient suffers from severe illness, old age, or a terminal disease, the odds of a good outcome from CPR are infinitesimal, while the odds of suffering are overwhelming. Poor knowledge and misguided expectations lead to a lot of bad decisions.

But of course it's not just patients making these things happen. Doctors play an enabling role, too. The trouble is that even doctors who hate to administer futile care must find a way to address the wishes of patients and families. Imagine, once again, the emergency room with those grieving, possibly hysterical, family members. They do not know the doctor. Establishing trust and confidence under such circumstances is a very delicate thing. People are prepared to think the doctor is acting out of base motives, trying to save time, or money, or effort, especially if the doctor is advising against further treatment.

Some doctors are stronger communicators than others, and some doctors are more adamant, but the pressures they all face are similar. When I faced circumstances involving end-of-life choices, I adopted the approach of laying out only the options that I thought were reasonable (as I would in any situation) as early in the process as possible. When patients or families brought up unreasonable choices, I would discuss the issue in layman's terms that portrayed the downsides clearly. If patients or families still insisted on treatments I considered pointless or harmful, I would offer to transfer their care to another doctor or hospital.

Should I have been more forceful at times? I know that some of those transfers still haunt me. One of the patients of whom I was most fond was an attorney from a famous political family. She had severe diabetes and terrible circulation, and, at one point, she developed a painful sore on her foot. Knowing the hazards of hospitals, I did everything I could to keep her from resorting to surgery. Still, she sought out outside experts with whom I had no relationship. Not knowing as much about her as I did, they decided to perform bypass surgery on her chronically clogged blood vessels in both legs. This didn't restore her circulation, and the surgical wounds wouldn't heal. Her feet became gangrenous, and she endured bilateral leg amputations. Two weeks later, in the famous medical center in which all this had occurred, she died.

It's easy to find fault with both doctors and patients in such stories, but in many ways all the parties are simply victims of a larger system that encourages excessive treatment. In some unfortunate cases, doctors use the fee-for-service model to do everything they can, no matter how pointless, to make money. More commonly, though, doctors are fearful of litigation and do whatever they're asked, with little feedback, to avoid getting in trouble.

Even when the right preparations have been made, the system can still swallow people up. One of my patients was a man named Jack, a 78-year-old who had been ill for years and undergone about 15 major surgical procedures. He explained to me that he never, under any circumstances, wanted to be placed on life support machines again. One Saturday, however, Jack suffered a massive stroke and got admitted to the emergency room unconscious, without his wife. Doctors did everything possible to resuscitate him and put him on life support in the ICU. This was Jack's worst nightmare. When I arrived at the hospital and took over Jack's care, I spoke to his wife and to hospital staff, bringing in my office notes with his care preferences. Then I turned off the life support machines and sat with him. He died two hours later.

Even with all his wishes documented, Jack hadn't died as he'd hoped. The system had intervened. One of the nurses, I later found out, even reported my unplugging of Jack to the authorities as a
possible homicide. Nothing came of it, of course; Jack's wishes had been spelled out explicitly, and he'd left the paperwork to prove it. But the prospect of a police investigation is terrifying for any physician. I could far more easily have left Jack on life support against his stated wishes, prolonging his life, and his suffering, a few more weeks. I would even have made a little more money, and Medicare would have ended up with an additional $500,000 bill. It's no
wonder many doctors err on the side of overtreatment.

But doctors still don't over-treat themselves. They see the consequences of this constantly. Almost anyone can find a way to die in peace at home, and pain can be managed better than ever. Hospice care, which focuses on providing terminally ill patients with comfort
and dignity rather than on futile cures, provides most people with much better final days. Amazingly, studies have found that people placed in hospice care often live longer than people with the same diseases who are seeking active cures. I was struck to hear on the radio recently that the famous reporter Tom Wicker had "died peacefully at home, surrounded by his family." Such stories are, thankfully, increasingly common.

Several years ago, my older cousin Torch (born at home by the light of a flashlight--or torch) had a seizure that turned out to be the result of lung cancer that had gone to his brain. I arranged for him to see various specialists, and we learned that with aggressive treatment of his condition, including three to five hospital visits a week for chemotherapy, he would live perhaps four months. Ultimately, Torch decided against any treatment and simply took pills for brain swelling. He moved in with me.

We spent the next eight months doing a bunch of things that he enjoyed, having fun together like we hadn't had in decades. We went to Disneyland, his first time. We'd hang out at home. Torch was a sports nut, and he was very happy to watch sports and eat my cooking. He even gained a bit of weight, eating his favourite foods rather than hospital foods. He had no serious pain, and he remained high-spirited. One day, he didn't wake up. He spent the next three days in a coma-like sleep and then died. The cost of his medical care for those eight months, for the one drug he was taking, was about $20.

Torch was no doctor, but he knew he wanted a life of quality, not just quantity. Don't most of us? If there is a state of the art of end-of-life care, it is this: death with dignity. As for me, my
physician has my choices. They were easy to make, as they are for most physicians. There will be no heroics, and I will go gentle into that good night. Like my mentor Charlie. Like my cousin Torch. Like my fellow doctors.”

Ken Murray, MD, is Clinical Assistant Professor of Family
Medicine at USC

Jessie Fong

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 03:16:50 PM »
A home funeral can consist of the following:
 - memorial
 - wake
 - viewing

Friends and family members can help to wash and dress the body.  Or even build the casket. And plan the memorial service.

From : http://www.today.com/id/20845739/ns/health-behavior/#.URe27R32_oI

A home funeral can help mourners accept the reality of death, says Karen Russell, executive director of the nonprofit National Grief Support Services, based in West Hills, Calif. “The biggest myth of all time is that time heals all. Time does not heal, it’s the action that heals.”

DS Star

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 03:34:15 PM »
Actually it is much better this way, we do the final preparation for our loved ones, with much care, as compared to those commercialised funeral under takers.

Many a time, we allowed the under-takers to do (by themselves) due to our grief (which is actually arises from our own self-centered thought for our loss, instead of thinking of giving the best to the departed person).

In Tibetan Buddhists' belief, we should touch only the crown, forehead and face of the deceased and avoid touching other parts of the body immediately after the person passed away because it may distress the mind/ consciousness. The person would take rebirth in lower realms if the consciousness goes out from lower parts of the body.

So, when we do the washing and dressing of the deceased by ourselves, we will be very careful and are assured not to distress the deceased.