Author Topic: A First in 53 years, Dalai Lama not to address the Tibetans on 'uprising day'  (Read 11950 times)

thor

Positive Change:
Yes Lobsang Sangay's address wasnt earth shattering as you say, but my earth trembled slightly when i read the articles. Why? It is so NORMAL. So typical of a political speech. With no hint of religious bias or flavor unlike the Dalai Lama's. In fact, I am very happy to read these speeches. If Lobsang Sangay continues to focus on real issues that the Tibetan people face, he will grow into the role of the proper Prime Minister. Not one who is a mixture of secular and spiritual. I strongly feel the secular and spiritual should be separated. Perhaps in the future, someone else will be elected to lead the Tibetan people for spiritual matters alone?

Namdrol

• Email
So it seems that the Dorje Shugden issue is taken out from the political context, and it now becomes a purely religious issue.

In the political context, it is easy to see that the suppression and ostracization of Dorje Shugden practitioners are wrong in the "worldly sense", and also it is good that we see the political oppression geting less and less.

The religious part is more difficult to fight, because as a spiritual leader, a person can say anything and decide what is to be practiced and not to be practiced and there are much lesser ways that one's decision can be challenged, except for quoting from previous/other spiritual leaders' texts, experience, reasonings. 

Nevertheless, as more and more people practice Dorje Shugden and receive positive results, it is a very strong case to support that Dorje Shugden is RIGHT, therefore we all should work hard to promote Dorje Shugden practice even further and wider, and it is a direct counter to false accusations.

Positive Change

Positive Change:
Yes Lobsang Sangay's address wasnt earth shattering as you say, but my earth trembled slightly when i read the articles. Why? It is so NORMAL. So typical of a political speech. With no hint of religious bias or flavor unlike the Dalai Lama's. In fact, I am very happy to read these speeches. If Lobsang Sangay continues to focus on real issues that the Tibetan people face, he will grow into the role of the proper Prime Minister. Not one who is a mixture of secular and spiritual. I strongly feel the secular and spiritual should be separated. Perhaps in the future, someone else will be elected to lead the Tibetan people for spiritual matters alone?

This is true Thor... It was absolutely normal and somewhat predictable political speech as you say. And you are right, in that very sense, without the religious bias, it can be seen as a step in the right direction. Keeping the focus on politics and not merging both politics and spirituality which can sometimes be confusing during the tenure of HHDL. Not necessarily intentional by HH but because of what HH stands for in his beliefs it is inevitable I suppose for one to always associate the two when the source comes from one!

Galen

• Email
The speech is such a let down. Nothing of significance on the religious front. All about politics with China. He has criticised China for being biased and not allowing similar peaceful protests being done by Tibetans as compared to the Chinese protest in Guangdong where in the end the local village was given a seat to voice out their concerns. how Tibet has been exploited for its minerals and resources for the Chinese economy/His speech is also concentrated in pushing for Tibet to get equal rights as other autonomous regions such as Hong Kong and Macau. Why the disparity?

This also may be taken as a sign that Dr. Lobsang Sangey is not mixing religion with politics in his role. This segregation is good because then the Prime Minister is representing all Tibetans, no matter what religion or race, to fight for them.