Author Topic: Lama Zopa and Lama Osel  (Read 7103 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Lama Zopa and Lama Osel
« on: October 27, 2012, 06:21:26 PM »
I just wanted to share this lovely photo of Lama Zopa Rinpoche, Lama Osel and the FPMT Board Members at Kachoe Dechen Ling, Oct 2012. I rejoice that Lama Osel is close to Lama Zopa. It is as it should be. I hope that Lama Osel will soon manifest as a full-fledged Dharma teacher as the incarnation of Lama Yeshe and that he is continuing his strong Dorje Shugden practice from his previous incarnation.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

icy

Re: Lama Zopa and Lama Osel
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 06:46:32 PM »
This is a picture of Lama Osel attending the Vajrasattva initiation conducted by Lama Zopa Rinpoche. I take this as a good sign that Lama Osel will be returning to FP&T and taking an active role when the time calls for him.  I am extremely happy to see both these recent pictures and I truly rejoice that things are shaping up for the better in FP&T.   Let us pray that surely there will be a happy ending after all so that there be more Lamas turning the wheel of Dharma benefitting more people around the world.  Long Life Lama Zopa Rinpoche and Long Life Lama Oser.  May you live long to be the light to the world!

paolorossi

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 08:45:11 AM »
OSEL MEANS CLEAR LIGHT,MAY LAMA OSEL GIVE LIGHT TO THE FPMT,THAT HE CREATED IN PREVIOUS LIFE.

Big Uncle

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 04:20:44 PM »
What a warm and beautiful picture of devotion and possible happy endings. It is good that Lama Osel gets closer and closer to Lama Zopa and FPMT as it is time for him to start his Dharma path already. I wonder what Lama Osel would do when he does make it as the spiritual head of FPMT.

I wonder what his views are on Dorje Shugden and I wonder if he knew that Dorje Shugden was the Dharma Protector of his predecessor. Actually, come to think about it, I am pretty sure he already knows as Tulkus have particularly strong affinity with yidams and practices of their previous lives. Therefore, I am pretty sure Lama Osel is practicing Dorje Shugden now and that may be why he went on his own way. So, for him coming back may be a good indicator that he may re-establish the practice in FPMT.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 04:33:16 PM »
What I find interesting is that although Lama Osel has ostensibly given up his monastic life and responsibility to his previous life, he has kept a close contact with Lama Zopa. As he is not related to any monastery, Lama Osel is not answerable to the Dalai Lama and could quite easily make his Dorje Shugden practice public like HH Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche. However, while there is no hint that Lama Osel is a Dorje Shugden practitioner, it would be contrary to Lama Osel’s previous life if he was NOT a practitioner. I guess he must have good reasons and time will tell. I just hope the time will be soon.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

thor

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 01:01:19 PM »
Wisdom Being - you have a good point about Lama Osel not being in the monasteries. In theory, of course, Lama Osel is not answerable to the Dalai Lama, firstly because he is not a monastic and secondly because he isnt even Tibetan. Having said that, however, the Dalai Lama's policies have a funny way of being felt regardless. I mean, right now he has given up his politics, yet his orders are still being carried out, within and without the government! Look at Geshe Kelsang Gyatso - being kicked out of Sera Mey didnt stop the death threats and protests against him.

I absolutely love the photo that you first shared though. Lama Osel is so affectionate with Lama Zopa, holding his hands with both of his own. When Lama Osel renounced the life of a high lama, i was concerned that it meant he has renounced Buddhism. But now, that is obviously not the case. Lama Osel stays true to his Buddhist roots, paying proper reverence to his initiating teacher, and hurrah - receiving Vajrasattva initiation. The first of many to come, I hope.

dsiluvu

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 02:55:39 PM »
I see Osel Hita manifesting a more new age, unconventional, holistic modern approach with the Dharma and perhaps this is his skillful methods in bringing thhe Dharma to the modern people of the world today. He still maintains his closeness with Lama Zopa while he has created a Freedom for himself to be as creative as he wanna be to benefit others without the political hypocrisy of the CTA. I find this manifestation intriguing and definitely curious if he still continues his past practices such as Dorje Shugden ;) Yes indeed it will be interesting to watch out for.

From the picture he has been posting on FB, you could see, he has no qualms in showing you who he was in his previous life and how closely knit he and Lama Zopa is from past to present... Lama Yeshe... the zainy unconventional Lama... so why would this life's manifestation be different... it would be anything but normal...and the goal is to benefit others... such are the Bodhisattvas creativity. 

wang

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 11:03:31 AM »
Look at Geshe Kelsang Gyatso - being kicked out of Sera Mey didnt stop the death threats and protests against him.

It was Sera Jey, not Sera Mey.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 11:39:55 AM »
It is very inspiring that no matter what, Lama Osel is still going back to the monastery despite painting a different picture of himself in mainstream media, such as giving interviews saying that he would like to quit Buddhism and that his return to the monastery was forced. He is the undisputed and REAL Lama Yeshe who has returned to guide FPMT once more, but they would need to apologize and repent for their actions against Dorje Shugden in the first place. Lama Osel will find ways to benefit and support FPMT, but just not directly anymore because he cant and they did not create the causes for him to be able to manifest his Dharma deeds to them directly as a result of their negative karma.

I really wonder what will happen if the same reporter who claimed that Lama Osel was forced to return to the monastery against his will sees these pictures! I am sure it would be a surprise of sorts.

icy

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 05:38:59 AM »
From Osel to the FPMT Family

November 2012

Dear Family,
First of all I would like to say hello to everybody working so hard every day for the benefit of sentient beings through the organization of FPMT. I understand that many of you have extra jobs in order to maintain your family and basic needs in life. Also many of you work as volunteers part time, apart from all the other work you have to cope with. It is very hard, and inspiring. I truly admire every one and each of you for all the effort, dedication and consistency that keeps the organization going.

Around a month ago, I attended an FPMT board meeting in California. This is the fourth Board meeting I have attended in the last three or four years. Each time of participation, I gain a deeper insight and understanding of the incredible scope of activity that FPMT is undertaking around the world every day.
In the last few days I have had the privilege to attend the highly professional and inspiring FDCW (Foundation for the Development of Compassion and Wisdom) meeting in Kuala Lumpur. FDCW’s mission is to help children, youth and adults of all cultures and traditions to develop their innate capacity to be kind and wise, and contribute to peace in the world.

As I learn more about FPMT from these perspectives, my respect, and profound appreciation for Lama Zopa Rinpoche and the whole community grows exponentially.
What has taken place since Lama Yeshe's passing in 1984 in my view is completely miraculous and inspiring.

I have nothing but the greatest admiration and gratitude for everyone that has taken part in this wonderful and positive development.

It will take me some time to really grasp everything that Rinpoche accomplishes with the tireless support of Venerable Roger who works to handle all the tasks 24/7/365 days a year every year supported by Venerable Holly, and the amazing International Office staff.

Most people cannot possibly realize the myriad activities IOF undertakes in support of Lama Zopa Rinpoche. IOF develops multi language education programs, practices, and prayers, translates sutras, trains translators, finds Geshes and western teachers, and develops policies and guidelines based on 40 years of experience. IOF helps Rinpoche guide international projects, like the Amdo Eye Hospital in Tibet, the building of statues and stupas. IOF manages Sera Je Food Fund, supports young tulkus, and the expenses of 650 monks for the annual Gelug Exams. IOF manages the Lama Tsongkhapa Teacher Fund assisting 110 main teachers, and providing allowances for Abbots and ex Abbots. IOF publishes Mandala magazine and newsletter updates on FPMT global activities.

The list goes on and on and the above is just a small taste of the way IOF closely follows Rinpoche and supports Rinpoche’s every wish as much as possible.
My admiration for, and thanks to them have no bounds.

Similarly I thank most deeply and sincerely all the directors, the board and committee members, the volunteers, and everyone who helps past, present, and future, in all the centers and projects - activities as diverse as teaching and organizing teachings, leading retreats, providing hospice care, preparing educational materials, archiving, providing monastic education, secular universal education, publishing, translation, media and communications, and the solid governance, finance, and administration that such a global scale demands.

I have already been able to visit many centers and recently was able to participate in the European Regional FPMT meeting. My intention is to keep on doing so. I hope to spend as much time as possible with Lama Zopa Rinpoche and Venerable Roger, as well as deepening my traditional philosophical studies, and learning more about media communications and finance.

Whilst the positive aspect of what has been achieved in 30 years is overwhelming, there are some areas that I find concerning. I have mentioned before the importance of recognizing, appreciating, and showing respect and concern for everyone who has made today’s success possible. Again I would like to stress that in my view every center and project should clearly display the names of everyone who has carried the load in some way whether it be as a director, manager, cook, gardener, or some other position, a donor, or volunteer. These people are the real Foundation and truly the “F” in FPMT.

While our goal is to benefit as many living beings as possible, and while the scope of that is so vast, we must not allow that to blind us to our immediate responsibility of showing appreciation, kindness, and concern for each other and each other’s welfare within our own community. Unfortunately sometimes our rapid growth has caused a number of situations where we haven't measured up in this respect.
It is my intention to make sure that in the next phase of FPMTs growth we focus on looking after each other. Some of our teachers and students who pioneered the early days of our development are now in their 60s and 70s. While one of our priorities is education for the youth of our world today, as our organization matures, we also have to take care of those who have contributed so much and who are now reaching the stage where they require care and consideration.

For a long time I have also been concerned that so far the organization has relied almost exclusively on donations. The generosity that has been responsible for where we are today is mind blowing and beyond words. Without it FPMT would not be what it is today. However I feel strongly that for the long-term ever expanding development that must take place, we have to think strategically about also generating additional sources of income through business and other commercial activity. This can also provide jobs and employment opportunities so people can earn a living and still have time for practice and study.
I believe it is possible to develop a business model on a positive and moral basis that ensures that business to benefit all parties - owners, management, staff, customers, and the wider community.
I have been spending a lot of time thinking about how to do this and I am trying in my way to explore a number of possibilities along these lines. Like creating Eco lodges where there is available very healthy vegetarian food, Eco friendly and organic grown vegetables, yoga and non-religious courses and meditation, for people outside our community, as a window of introduction to Buddhism. It is essential to have a healthy body in order to fully practice dharma. So we would make that opportunity available, and in exchange have a solid income to support the centers. It is now becoming very fashionable today, to eat healthy organic foods, spend time in nature, and exploring inside oneself through yoga and meditation.
When we are involved day-to-day work with all the difficulties and challenges we face, it is hard to step back and see the big picture and take pride in what we have achieved together. Attending Board meetings and the European Regional meeting has given me the luxury of beginning to see what an incredible job Lama Zopa Rinpoche has done. This in turn is based on the perfect inspiration His Holiness the Dalai Lama provides everybody, which helps us to learn about the true nature in each and every one of us.
The lineage from which we draw our understanding and inspiration is unsurpassable. The real scope of Mahayana in the widest sense is so vast and really can bring such benefit that the potential is almost incomprehensible. That gives us an equally huge responsibility to execute this task to the absolute best of our ability.

Within our FPMT community there is a vast pool of talent and skills that is equal to this task. We have to find better ways to draw more on the expertise that is available, to focus it where it can do the greatest good.

We have to approach this task practically continuously, untiringly and yet from time to time  we must pause to measure the way in which we act to ensure that we don't leave anyone behind.
I really look forward to meeting everyone as my travels allow, and I am really looking forward to the next Board meeting and another chance to learn and hopefully in a small way input into the plans for the next 30 years of our development.

Sorry if this became long - my main point is to thank everybody so much from the bottom of my heart.
Thank you so very much everyone!!
Take care, and keep up the good work!!
Big love
Osel

Osel with Lama Zopa Rinpoche. Photo by Ven. Roger Kunsang at Kachoe Dechen Ling, CA, September 2012.

icy

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 05:40:53 AM »
Osel with Lama Zopa Rinpoche. Photo by Ven. Roger Kunsang at Kachoe Dechen Ling, CA, September 2012.

Manjushri

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 04:11:16 PM »
Although Lama Osel has "given up" his monastic lives, you can still see many virtuous qualities in him. From the photos that I have seen, he has shown great respect to Lama Zopa Rinpoche, always fondly holding Lama Zopa's hand with both hands, or clasping his hand together with respect. Reading the letter that icy has just posted, I wonder what Lama Osel has up his sleeves. He seems to very much appreciate all that Lama Zopa and FPMT has done to propel them to the heights that they are at now. From his letter I feel much kindness and compassion arising from Lama Osel's sincere words. It seems that he will get more and more involved with FPMT's matters. But I wonder if there's any chance he would proliferate Dorje Shugden throughout FPMT in future..

Benny

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 04:50:18 PM »
Very inspiring photos indeed , I think we are all actually quite relieved to see that he is still very close to Lama Zopa . All said and done , whether or not he will rise up to lead FPMT or not remains to be seen and the million dollar question for all of us Dorje Shugden practitioners is whether or not he would be loyal enough to continue as he did previously to proliferate our Dharma Protector without fear or favour. If indeed he is the unmistakable reincarnation of Lama Yeshe , it is not a question of will he , BUT when ........

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 09:27:47 AM »
Lama Osel is still Lama Yeshe, just that he chose not to manifest in the form of an old monk but in the form of a young man who has little to no interest in being a monk. If I am not wrong, many FPMT members were very disappointed over this a couple of years back and some of them are really upset that Lama Osel has chose to leave monastic life. As he chose to 'leave', he has also brought a lot of people into the Dharma and have also been silently supporting FPMT and Lama Zopa so that is absolute proof that  he is Lama Yeshe even though sometimes he claims otherwise.

Would be really nice to see him snap a picture with the current Trijang Rinpoche though.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 06:06:56 PM »
Lama Yeshe founded FPMT and on His entering clear light, his student Lama Zopa is head of FPMT.  Lama Yeshe was a Shugden practitioner but for now FMPT under the guidance of Lama Zopa do not practise Dorje Shugden.

The incarnation of Lama Yeshe is Lama Osel who is not in the monastic order.  Why? Is it because not being a Tibetan Buddhism Monk, he can practise Dorje Shugden and not be governed by the will of the Dalai Lama.

This interesting article is written on the above situation.  Reading it will give some facts for contemplation on what some Lamas may do preserve Dorje Shugden for this age and time.