Author Topic: Long Life Puja for Ven. Geshe Thupten Thinley (Khandro Ten Shug)  (Read 12263 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
I just saw these amazing photos of the Dakini dance at the recent Long Life Puja for Ven. Geshe Thupten Thinley (Khandro Ten Shug) so I thought I'd share them here. May Ven. Geshe Thupten Thinley live long and turn the wheel of Dharma...
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
Re: Long Life Puja for Ven. Geshe Thupten Thinley (Khandro Ten Shug)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 03:05:01 PM »
These photos are from the long life puja held for Geshe Thubten Trinley early last year.
The monastery will be conducting another long life puja for Geshe-la Thubten Trinley in 2 days (Janurary 18th). I will try to get pictures if I can.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 03:10:03 PM »
These photos are from the long life puja held for Geshe Thubten Trinley early last year.
The monastery will be conducting another long life puja for Geshe-la Thubten Trinley in 2 days (Janurary 18th). I will try to get pictures if I can.

Hi Tenzin,

Thanks for the clarification! Does Geshe-la go to Shar Gaden annually?

Please do try to get a video of the Khandro Ten Shug and put it on youtube - it would be so excellent to see.

Many thanks for sharing whatever videos and photos you can from Shar Gaden!

triesa

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »
Thank you WB for these wonderful photos of "Khandro Tenshug" long life puja which is in the form a dakini dance.

I learnt that to extend the life of a lama, their students can request to perform this Dakini dance and it is very powerful if the lama accept it. I also learnt that there are two types of long life puja dance, if a "khandro Tenshug" is said to be done for a high lama, it indicates that this lama can have controlled death, and thus logically the lama will have controlled rebirth.  Whereas if a "Tenshug" is said to be done, it indicates that the lama whose life is to be extended, has uncontrolled death, and thus I conclude that the lama will not have controlled rebirth.

I love to see the video of the actual dance, TS, please try to take the video on the 18th of January for the Khandro Tenshug for Geshe Thupten if possible and let everyone see. That would be fantastic!!!!

Thank you.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 03:47:06 PM »
I will see what I can do to get some video. I don't have a camera, but I will ask around and see if anyone here has one that I can use.

We are all looking forward to the event. It will be the culmination of an incredible series of very magical weeks here at the monastery.

DSFriend

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 07:40:52 AM »
Thanks Triesa and wisdom being for the information. How kind of enlightened beings to show us methods to create the causes for holy teachers to live long.

I look forward to watching the video of this amazing long life puja in the form of a dance!

WisdomBeing

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 12:40:32 PM »
I will see what I can do to get some video. I don't have a camera, but I will ask around and see if anyone here has one that I can use.

We are all looking forward to the event. It will be the culmination of an incredible series of very magical weeks here at the monastery.

Dear Tenzin

Most digital cameras have a video function or good phones too... so i pray that you'll find one so you can record down this auspicious event! Oh i so hope you can :)

much love x

triesa

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 02:16:55 PM »
Dear TS,

I can't wait to see the actual puja dance and it is tomorrow that this "Khandro Tenshug" will be performed for Ven Geshe Thupten Thinley.

Please do your very best to have this video taped.

Much thanks!!!!

beggar

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 05:28:54 PM »
These long life pujas are very, very good ways for students to make offerings and requests to their Lama to stay. It is said that dakinis from other realms / places come to request the Lama to go to their place to teach. Sometimes, the Lama will begin to indicate and show signs that he will leave - he may express repeatedly that he wishes to go to another place, he may manifest sickness, start giving things away or advising pujas to be done. Students must be alert to their Lama showing  any of these signs.

The dakini dance includes 5 monks who dress fully in very beautiful clothes made specially for the puja - they represent dakinis who come down during the puja and act to request the lama to come away. The puja master then approaches them and tells them firmly, "No, please leave, do not come here to request our lama to leave." There is a ritual of cutting scarves of the dakinis and sending them away. They leave the main prayer hall, one by one, as if they are expelled from the place.

At the same time, extensive offerings of new robes, 8 auspicious symbols, 7 royal emblems, new staff, Buddha statues (and other long life relics) are offered to the lama. It is a very good sign if he accepts them - an acknowledgment that he will stay longer.  If the lama consents, you instantly see improvement in his health.

Anyway, whether a lama has controlled rebirth or not, if he starts to show illness, it is an excellent practice and offering on the part of students to offer him medicines, good food, serve him in any way that will help to alleviate his physical sickness. This is good for the student to collect merit, whether the lama has control over his death or not.

Big Uncle

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 07:38:25 PM »
These long life pujas are very, very good ways for students to make offerings and requests to their Lama to stay. It is said that dakinis from other realms / places come to request the Lama to go to their place to teach. Sometimes, the Lama will begin to indicate and show signs that he will leave - he may express repeatedly that he wishes to go to another place, he may manifest sickness, start giving things away or advising pujas to be done. Students must be alert to their Lama showing  any of these signs.

The dakini dance includes 5 monks who dress fully in very beautiful clothes made specially for the puja - they represent dakinis who come down during the puja and act to request the lama to come away. The puja master then approaches them and tells them firmly, "No, please leave, do not come here to request our lama to leave." There is a ritual of cutting scarves of the dakinis and sending them away. They leave the main prayer hall, one by one, as if they are expelled from the place.

At the same time, extensive offerings of new robes, 8 auspicious symbols, 7 royal emblems, new staff, Buddha statues (and other long life relics) are offered to the lama. It is a very good sign if he accepts them - an acknowledgment that he will stay longer.  If the lama consents, you instantly see improvement in his health.

Anyway, whether a lama has controlled rebirth or not, if he starts to show illness, it is an excellent practice and offering on the part of students to offer him medicines, good food, serve him in any way that will help to alleviate his physical sickness. This is good for the student to collect merit, whether the lama has control over his death or not.

It is amazing how these masters have developed and honed their mastery over death and rebirth. To me, these masters are living examples of the efficacy of Buddha's teachings. They are living treasures and this puja is just a manifestation of their skillfulness for the students to develop the merit for not just the Lama but for the teachings to remain long with us. We are so fortunate to be living in a time where there are still living examples of Buddha's teachings. Hence, Dorje Shugden practice is crucial in developing such merit as to meet a qualified spiritual guide (if you don't have one) and to help us along our spiritual path with a spiritual guide by clearing obstacles, create favourable conditions and such.

pgdharma

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 03:00:17 PM »
Thank you wisdom being for these amazing photos. I do hope that Tenzin Sungrab will be able to get good photos or videos for us of the auspicious event on 18th January.

Much thanks to Tenzin Sungrab for the effort :)

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 02:19:22 PM »
Today was the puja held for Geshe Thubten Trinley. The puja was Lama Chopa with Tsog, followed by some kind words of advice from Geshe-la to all of the monks here at Shar Gaden, as well as over a hundred monks visiting from Serpom.

I was not able to get any photos or video myself, but I am sure the Shar Gaden Education Department will be posting some soon on their website.

What a beautiful way to wrap up an incredible cycle of Teachings.

triesa

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 12:20:53 PM »
Thank you Big Uncle for your beautiful description of the Dakini dance, of how the puja master firmly cut the Dakini scarves to tell them to leave and stop reuesting their lama to go.

On this subject of high lamas mastering their death and rebirth, I was told that H.H. Zong rinpoche's health was getting worse and showing signs of leaving. Upon the request of the students of Trijang rinpoche who asked Zong Rinpoche to stay long so that Zong Rinpoche could help them to recognise the newly incarnated young Trijang rinpoche. Zong rinpoche accepted and his health improved. After Zong rinpoche found the incarnation of Trijang rinpoche, he wrote on his diary the date of him entering clear light, his students later found this on his diary, the exact same date that Zong rinpoche entered clear light.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 03:33:10 PM »
I had the good fortune of speaking with Geshe Thubten Trinley for a short while today and learned that he was classmates with my Holy Tsa-wai Lama, Geshe Tsultrim Gyaltsen. He spoke very fondly of my late Teacher. It brought tears of delight to my eyes.

Geshe Thubten Trinley will be here for almost another week before returning to Switzerland.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 10:16:55 AM »
Latest video featuring His Eminence Geshe Thupten Thinley Rinpoche in Shar Gaden giving teachings .

The Teaching & Long Life Offering-Geshe Thupten Thinley@Shar Gaden-2012
The Teaching & Long Life Offering-Geshe Thupten Thinley@Shar Gaden-2012 Small | Large

Hi Eminence Geshe Thupten Thinley confers the commentary of the Essence of Eloquence on the Interpretive and Definitive Meanings compoased by Je Tsongkhapa Chenpo, to the devoted monks and lay people community in Shar Gaden. 

Geshe Thupten Thinley  Rinpoche is being invited to the teaching courtyard. Many monks and tulkus attending the teachings.

The Long Life Offering To His Eminence Geshe Thupten Thinley by the devoted sponsors ad the sangha community.

Very beautiful video on Shar Gaden Monks.