Author Topic: A little balance  (Read 18735 times)

honeydakini

A little balance
« on: July 23, 2010, 02:06:44 PM »
In light of recent discussions... it seems that things really are hotting up in here!

I feel really sad that instead of achieving more harmony, some people are becoming even tougher on their stance against the Dalai Lama. As I've said many times before, there are things that the dalai lama has said and done which I certainly do not agree with, but I also do not think that merely sitting on a forum bitching about him is a very healthy approach to the situation.

Can’t we strive for a little balance and also look at all the things the Dalai Lama has done right? Instead of just bitching about all that has been done wrong, perhaps we can look at how to encourage more of what has been done right? Wouldn’t that be more positive and also more effective? Because obviously just sitting on a forum bitching about the dalai lama hasn’t exactly brought heaps of results is it???

Wouldn’t our time and efforts be better spent looking at tangible ways of sharing information or looking for sources/research/material to contribute to websites like this – this way, more people can be introduced to and learn about the Dharmapala and be “saved” that way. Or look at what the Dalai Lama has done right and encourage more of that. Remember there are still thousands of people in the world who take the Dalai Lama as their teacher - we don't want to damage their practice more than what it might already be right? I think it would be more helpful and beneficial to perhaps try to steer them away from all the existing politics and restore some faith and strength in their mind, by encouraging them to explore the many, many other countless beneficial teachings which the Dalai Lama has given  - the 8 verses, the compassion teachings, 4 noble truth teachings etc.

If we could encourage this, then even the DL's students would gain more faith in the Dharma and perhaps begin to practice more strongly and live by them. Then in turn, there could be less animosity and attacks towards the DS practitioners. Both sides benefit and this is achieved by much more peaceful methods.

That is what we all hope for after all – to  the lineage and protect practitioners who the TGIE are so mercilessly attacking and shunning. So why don’t we actually strive for that instead of just getting on a soap box on and on and on and on repeating the same old things about the dalai lama like a broken record!

Helena

• Email
Re: A little balance
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 09:57:03 PM »
Honeydakini - I can relate to what you have written and expressed.

This is just my own sharing and has no bearing on anyone else, or anything else.

Frankly, if it was not the Dalai Lama making Tibetan Buddhism so well known all over the world since his escape into India, then for sure, I will not be able to learn about the Dharma nor have the opportunity to meet my own Guru today.

I dare say, if you are not a Tibetan and not living in Tibet, you have somehow benefited from the Dalai Lama's exile in one way or another. Without HHDL promoting Tibet and Tibetan Buddhism, none of us would even be here.

Of course, HHDL had a lot of help in making Tibetan Buddhism into a globally recognised religion. However, HHDL is still the MAIN and BIGGEST and most CREDIBLE and POPULAR AMBASSADOR.

Since the day HHDL won that Nobel Peace Prize, it just has taken Buddhism into a different level altogether.

So, for that I must thank the man. I can't say that I understand the man or his actions at times - but I am grateful to the man from bringing the Dharma to me - even if it is indirectly.

I am one of those who only learnt of DS after reading about all this controversy and ban. Yes, I am one of those.

Hence, that was why I said that I did benefit from HHDL's "publicity campaign" on DS. I don't think I am the only one who got to know about DS in this way.

In this respect, I also applaud Geshe Kalsang Gyatso and his army of students who are so courageous to stand up and protest so openly. I can't say that I completely understand them or their actions, but if it was not for their protests, I also would not have learnt more about DS or be interested to find out more. In this respect, I see that they have aided HHDL in this "publicity campaign" of DS, or HHDL has aided them. Either way, DS is in the NEWS and even front pages of many news papers and magazines.

Without either of them, playing to this whole publicity campaign and upholding it from their own sides, the media would not have taken noticed of this DS issue for sure. Not in such magnitude and with such keen interest and for such a long time.

Yes, a lot of people have suffered as a result of the ban.

On the other hand, many have also started to come into DS and the interest is definitely growing. I can tell you while I am in HK, being just next door to China, I have also noticed that the interest in DS is also picking up. Here, we can openly discuss about DS. Many are curious. At the rate the economy is recovering, many religious and superstitious Chinese individuals would be so hungry for a wish-fulfilling Deity. They would gladly start propitiating a Deity or Buddha that helps them and grants them wishes. 

Now, whether it has been a good thing or a bad thing, I still can't say because it is still too early to tell. Also, I am not that enlightened to be able to judge and see beyond my own emotional reactions.

Protector Champion always said something like HHDL is sick and they are doing a healing on him. Then in that case, I think we all must be sick too and are in dire need of healing. This is why we are all still stuck here in samsara and need Dharma so desperately.

So, who is really healing who remains to be seen. In the meantime, I rather start healing myself with DS's help and get better asap so that I can also help others get healed. Then we can all get out of this bloody place called samsara asap too!
Helena

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 10:54:49 PM »

United We Stand! Divided We Fall!

Good to remember.

TK

kurava

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 01:51:14 AM »
We are often stuck with ideas of right and wrong, black and white etc. Differentiation is not bad, it is the wisdom to be able to discern things. The problem is  once we have taken a position, we look at the other position as absolutely wrong. We become fixed in our views and this results in a closed mind which have no space for others.

Since the credentials of the opposing factions are both undoubted authorities , the conclusion  that both know what they are doing to bring a greater good to all is very appealing to me compared to the on-going ones which create negative attitudes and unhappiness no matter which side you are on.

History was biased towards the First Emperor of China, Shih Huang Ti,saying that he was ruthless in conquering the 6 states – a view that takes the position of the vanquished. The Emperor said that he did that in order to end the wars between the states which was causing so much suffering . So he waged the mother of all wars to end the smaller wars. Chinese history is now being re written  to acknowledge this fact which had not been given due consideration before.

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 09:33:42 AM »
We are often stuck with ideas of right and wrong, black and white etc. Differentiation is not bad, it is the wisdom to be able to discern things. The problem is  once we have taken a position, we look at the other position as absolutely wrong. We become fixed in our views and this results in a closed mind which have no space for others.

Since the credentials of the opposing factions are both undoubted authorities , the conclusion  that both know what they are doing to bring a greater good to all is very appealing to me compared to the on-going ones which create negative attitudes and unhappiness no matter which side you are on.

History was biased towards the First Emperor of China, Shih Huang Ti,saying that he was ruthless in conquering the 6 states – a view that takes the position of the vanquished. The Emperor said that he did that in order to end the wars between the states which was causing so much suffering . So he waged the mother of all wars to end the smaller wars. Chinese history is now being re written  to acknowledge this fact which had not been given due consideration before.

Very good point.

Whatever people want to say, the ban hurts us practitioners now temporarily. But it brings Dorje Shugden much bigger onto the world platform. If it wasn't for the ban, he would not be the most well known Tibetan deity in the world today.

Why does Dalai Lama still meet up with the current Trijang Rinpoche although Trijang Rinpoche continues to practice Dorje Shugden? If Dorje Shugden is a demon, there would be no excepts to the rule. The whole world cannot practice Dorje Shugden, but Trijang Rinpoche can. It's like the the pope saying, the whole world cannot pray to Satan, but Archbishop Tutu can. If mother teresa or anyone else opens churches to satan and encourages others to do so, I will not meet them. But If Tutu does the same, it's ok with me. Do come and meet me.

That gives you a clear and concise indication of what Dalai Lama is doing. That is a 'crack' in the Dalai Lama's true intent. He is spreading Dorje Shugden out into the whole world. He is working together with Dorje Shugden to make things bigger. Dorje Shugden has become bigger and we will make him grow together with the famous and much needed great tulkus that have incarnated again to continue their good works from previous incarnations.

tk

thaimonk

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 10:24:15 AM »

Very good point.

Whatever people want to say, the ban hurts us practitioners now temporarily. But it brings Dorje Shugden much bigger onto the world platform. If it wasn't for the ban, he would not be the most well known Tibetan deity in the world today.

Why does Dalai Lama still meet up with the current Trijang Rinpoche although Trijang Rinpoche continues to practice Dorje Shugden? If Dorje Shugden is a demon, there would be no excepts to the rule. The whole world cannot practice Dorje Shugden, but Trijang Rinpoche can. It's like the the pope saying, the whole world cannot pray to Satan, but Archbishop Tutu can. If mother teresa or anyone else opens churches to satan and encourages others to do so, I will not meet them. But If Tutu does the same, it's ok with me. Do come and meet me.

That gives you a clear and concise indication of what Dalai Lama is doing. That is a 'crack' in the Dalai Lama's true intent. He is spreading Dorje Shugden out into the whole world. He is working together with Dorje Shugden to make things bigger. Dorje Shugden has become bigger and we will make him grow together with the famous and much needed great tulkus that have incarnated again to continue their good works from previous incarnations.

tk

Sounds good and gonna think more on it. Not rejecting or accepting. But thinking. Nice thoughts though.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 10:47:53 AM »

Very good point.

tk

Sounds good and gonna think more on it. Not rejecting or accepting. But thinking. Nice thoughts though.

Hey Thaimonk,

By the way, TK always posts stuff that makes me think.. one of my favourite of his/her posts is this:
http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=1425 it's a MUST read... :P and every one of the 13 points TK raises is definitely food for thought...

Not rejecting or accepting is a evidence of a true open mind.. i love it :)
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 11:26:07 AM »

Thanks Kurava. I like the points you raised re differentiation and wisdom. For us to differentiate, we need wisdom, and as attained beings have more wisdom than us, I think that is one of the reasons why we don't judge what lamas and mahasiddhas do....  i'm sure if many of us saw the dakinis in Birwapa's room, we would also have judged him harshly, and wrongly so.

i like the history reference you made too. Everything we see and think is usually from our perspective simply because that's where we are restricted by our physical body. When you said "a view that takes the position of the vanquished" - it reminded me that in a war, there is always two sides to a story, and the funny thing is that usually neither is right nor wrong - just simply different perspectives. It also reminded me that our views are so limited yet we always think we are right.

Life is so illusory!

Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

hope rainbow

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 04:52:27 PM »
QUOTE:
I feel really sad that instead of achieving more harmony, some people are becoming even tougher on their stance against the Dalai Lama. As I've said many times before, there are things that the dalai lama has said and done which I certainly do not agree with, but I also do not think that merely sitting on a forum bitching about him is a very healthy approach to the situation.

Can’t we strive for a little balance and also look at all the things the Dalai Lama has done right? Instead of just bitching about all that has been done wrong, perhaps we can look at how to encourage more of what has been done right? Wouldn’t that be more positive and also more effective? Because obviously just sitting on a forum bitching about the dalai lama hasn’t exactly brought heaps of results is it???

Quoted from Honey Dakini

My reply:

I did not grow up in a Buddhist culture and came to buddhisme slowly.
I was very fortunate to go through the lamrim before being exposed to the “controversy” DS/HHTDL.
Would I have been exposed to such earlier in my life, I can’t say for sure that I would have developed a wish to know more of the Buddhist path.

I have always been greatly inspired by His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, greatly inspired.
Later I came to read a few books written by GKG (without knowing much of the NKT), and I developed a great admiration for GKG.

So, when I eventually got exposed to the controversy, I never doubted neither HHTDL or GKG.
(nor Trijang Rinpoche, nor Pabongkha Rinpoche, etc…)
We are very fortunate to have high lamas, highly attained beings that are working very hard to show us the way to enlightenment, and the “controversy” should not lead us to doubt, but should lead us to a stronger faith. They are working for the sake of all sentient beings and are using skillful means tailored to the beings at hand right now (that is us), and if we don’t like it, we should really only blaming ourselves for it. (and I don’t like the controversy, I say! But I take responsibility for it!).

By debating about this “controversy” like real spiritual practitioners, that is for the sake of understanding Dharma to a deeper level and helping the other parties of the debate to also deepen their understanding, we may inspire new-comers to know more about the teachings of the Buddha that can make people debate in such respectful, informative and yet vivacious ways.

By debating with resentment, anger, pride, rudeness or arrogance, we simply put our teachers and their lineage down because we are “putting off” new-comers to the spiritual path, and therefore we are not helping our teachers in their mission.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 06:24:34 PM »
I like what both Kurava and TK wrote.

I always feel that History is written by those who won at that particular time, and yet it can be re-written when other info comes to light. Above all, when new understanding arises from further research and other findings. Nothing is so concrete and rigid. There is, in fact, a whole lot of grey and it is not just punctuated by BLACK & WHITE.

I have come across an article in the website titled "Universal Protector for Future Buddhism" - http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=143

Please do have a read. I have extracted some parts from that article which I find very relevant to what we are discussing. Please note that these are extracts and the whole article expounds on much more.

CHANGING OF THE GUARDIANS

“The southern gate is held closed in accordance with an old tradition that the chokyong Dorje Shugden is waiting at this entrance for the day to come on which he will be allowed to enter the monastery, to succeed Pehar as the chief dharmapala of Tibet…”

Source: René de Nebesky-Wojkowitz, “Oracles and Demons of Tibet”, page 445, in his description of Nechung Gompa.[/i]

(There is a diagram of the said Nechung Gompa. Even the physical lay out of the ground floor plan is very interesting. )

The perfect metaphor of Dorje Shugden succeeding Pehar is the story of HH the Dalai Lama’s escape from Tibet, when Pehar advised for the ‘holder of the lotus to stay in the land’ – imagine where His Holiness and Tibetan Buddhism would be today – while Dorje Shugden urged not only for His Holiness to leave immediately, but also had the escape plan ready! Blessed be the Junior Tutor, Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang, to ask Dorje Shugden’s advice at that time, thus giving Chenrezig Tenzin Gyatso to the world.

All we have heard publicly from Pehar since are defamations of Dorje Shugden and the tragically wrong prediction that Tibet will be free in the year 2000…

CHIEF DHARMAPALA OF TIBET ?

Since the Tibet of old has ceased to exist – and many say it will never come back – what will the Great King be Chief Dharmapala of? Tibet , as a nation, is just a conglomerate of causes and conditions which are subject to impermanence. What Tibet stands for is the entire transmission of Buddhadharma – Hinayana, Mahayana, Vajrayana. Its self-imposed isolation has preserved the Buddhadharma; its forceful opening is causing it to spread into the entire world.

UNIVERSAL PROTECTOR OF FUTURE BUDDHISM

HH Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang has opened the door for His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s lotus feet to tread the path from beleaguered Tibet into the hearts of the world, by invoking Dorje Shugden’s holy advice.

HH Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang has predicted that Dorje Shugden will become a universal protector of future Buddhism, which was recently confirmed by one of the great living Mahasiddhas who told us, “People say that Gyalchen Dorje Shugden is only protecting the Geluk tradition, but Dorje Shugden is now a universal Dharma protector.”

HH Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang has advised long ago not to lose faith in neither His Holiness nor in Dorje Shugden.

And this is what is happening.

HH the Dalai Lama has become a household name globally. In a recent survey, 46% of the interviewed Germans declared to have more faith in the Dalai Lama, a Tibetan refugee, than in the Pope, a German national. Thanks especially to His Holiness, everyone interested in spirituality has heard of the Buddhadharma. Nearly everyone interested in Vajrayana has heard of Dorje Shugden, also thanks especially to His Holiness. And the platform on which all of this is happening has been created largely by great Masters with Dorje Shugden as their special protector, and their organizations who have grown great with Dorje Shugden as their special protector, because Dorje Shugden likes to see the Dharma increase, universally, without and within.

So – outwardly, in the spirit of vinaya, we comply with His Holiness’ public wishes.

Inwardly, in the spirit of Mahayana, we strive never to judge, to take the blame and give the victory, and whatever happens – we won’t lose faith and play His Holiness against Dorje Shugden. If we lose faith in Manjushri, we have automatically lost faith in Chenrezig too. If we practice what His Holiness really teaches, we practice exactly what Dorje Shugden supports, nurtures and protects with all his heart – renunciation of samsaric hopes and fears, unconditional compassion, and the profound view realizing emptiness.

Secretly, we strive to realize all phenomena, be they labeled ‘good’ or ‘bad’, as non-separate from ultimate reality, appearing solely to serve in the subjugation of sentient beings’ delusional self-cherishing minds which are the cause of all suffering.

There ends my extraction from the article. Again, please do read the whole article. It is very insightful and it makes us think much deeper than what's infront of us.

As I have written in my earlier posts, Enlightened Beings appear as many things and in many forms, each would appeal to different groups - because no matter how different we are, we all deserve the chance to be saved.

Even those who have apparently wronged us and hurt us - they also need saving. In fact, may be even more. No one should be left behind, nor deserve to be left behind.

So, whether you belong to camp DS or camp HHDL - you will be guided by the same lineage. And that is, Je Tsongkhapa.

I am  inclined to agree with TK that however bad the suffering may be, it is all temporary. I do believe that the time has come for DS to take centrestage. And if you read the article, you will notice when the paradigm shift has started, signs are revealing themselves.

So, if you ask me - "Helena, will you take on intense suffering because you need in order to purify your own karma and usher in the Protector of Our Time?" I'd gladly say, "YES!"

And if you ask me - "Helena, will you really endure painful suffering so that the Dharma and Protector can grow?"

I'd gladly say, "Yes, please bring it on. Because how very fortunate am I to be able to endure anything at all, or undertake anything at all for the sake of Dharma, in the name of Dharma. YES! It will be well worth it!"

Hence, any suffering will not be named or perceived as suffering or pain - but my highest offerings to the Three Jewels. It becomes a joyous effort, one of the Six Paramitas.

To give up one's life for the Dharma, is that not the highest way to have lived a life well?

Well, for me, it is the only way to live well.

Very good point.

tk

Helena

pgdharma

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 01:52:09 PM »
I feel sad too that many people are against the Dalai Lama and condemning him.  Because of him, Tibet and Tibetan Buddhism are well known all over the world. He has done so much and I am grateful to him that indirectly he got me connected to my Guru and Tibetan Buddhism.
I feel that we should not put all the blame on HHDD, it could be a publicity campaign that he is playing, and yes even though many people have suffered as a result of the  ban, but there  are  many people too including myself, that has benefitted from the ban.  It is from the publicity and the controversy that I learned about Dorje Shugden as I was curious and I found out recently that one of my friends is also checking out the website and wanting to know more. 
So what HHDD is doing now may not look right, but who are we to judge?

thaimonk

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 02:03:55 PM »
By debating about this “controversy” like real spiritual practitioners, that is for the sake of understanding Dharma to a deeper level and helping the other parties of the debate to also deepen their understanding, we may inspire new-comers to know more about the teachings of the Buddha that can make people debate in such respectful, informative and yet vivacious ways.

By debating with resentment, anger, pride, rudeness or arrogance, we simply put our teachers and their lineage down because we are “putting off” new-comers to the spiritual path, and therefore we are not helping our teachers in their mission.

This is such a good point. It's exactly what I absolutely agree with. Debate to learn not to win and never exclude other ideas. Many great ideas in history were rejected when they were first revealed.

honeydakini

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 07:41:47 PM »

So, whether you belong to camp DS or camp HHDL - you will be guided by the same lineage. And that is, Je Tsongkhapa.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. This could be precisely the balance I’ve been looking for: the fact that in spite of everything, both are still continuing to spread the teachings of Lama Tsongkhapa, and these teachings are entering the mindstreams of thousands of people, hopefully leading on to practice too! The results – from both sides – prove that the Dharma is still spreading, if not stronger than ever before.

Yes, I understand the argument that what the Dalai Lama is no longer pure because of the broken lineages… but in this day and age, just to hear the teachings of Dharma and try to apply them in our lives is phenomenal enough. I like to take hope in the fact that by the Dalai Lama’s teachings, thousands of being are being inspired to find their own teachers with unbroken, pure lineages and are beginning practice. The Dalai Lama may just be a trigger point for many, many people around the world to find out more about this path and find their own spiritual guides. Is this so bad?

After all, it is not that every single person in his audiences takes him as their Guru. Some may just see an interview of him on tv, or read a book, or read an article in a magazine – as one of the world’s most public religious figures, he has this exposure to millions of people. If only a fraction of those millions are intrigued to find out more, buy a Dharma book, begin to read and apply the teachings to experience some transformation, find their own teachers, join a meditation centre – isn’t that worth it? The vehicle differs but Buddha’s teachings are still entering the lives of many.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 08:17:06 PM »
HD - so well written! I could not have said it better myself! Thank you!

Helena

Dharmapal

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
Has this forum become another Dalai Lama fan site?!  :-\