Author Topic: I'LL LIVE ANOTHER 20 YEARS  (Read 17893 times)

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
I'LL LIVE ANOTHER 20 YEARS
« on: July 12, 2010, 09:52:53 AM »
The Dalai Lama is in no hurry to appoint a successor, he told NDTV presenter Barkha Dhutt on July 4 at his residence in Dharamsala, India. The hour-long interview was conducted before an audience of followers and tourists to celebrate his 75th birthday and was broadcast on NDTV on July 6.

"I'm quite healthy," he laughed, predicting that he'd live another 20 years, "no problem", he giggled.
In fact, the Buddhist leader expressed indifference toward the continuation of the institution of the Dalai Lama. "Some people got the impression that the institution is very important for Tibetan Buddhism. It's not," he said.

"I am not much concerned about these things," the Dalai Lama admitted. "As I have expressed, Chinese Communists seem to be more concerned about the Dalai Lama institution than me."

Pressed to discuss the hypothetical continuation of the institution, the Dalai Lama reiterated a statement he made last year that he may be succeeded by a woman, saying, "If circumstance is such that a female reincarnation would be more effective, and carry the true traditional spiritual way ... I've got no problem."

The Tibetan leader also talked about the application of Buddhist principles of non-violence to 21st-century dilemmas, the marriage of scientific and spiritual worldviews, what makes him lose his temper, and his weakness for watches.

from THOMAS DAVID CANADA

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/Guestbook/

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Re: I'LL LIVE ANOTHER 20 YEARS
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 11:51:49 AM »
I'm glad to see that contrary to what Dorje Shugden has been accused of - shortening HH's life - there is no evidence of this! And regarding the other accusation that Dorje Shugden is stopping the independence of Tibet, since HH has abandoned that pursuit decades ago, that accusation does not hold water either.

So what's wrong with Dorje Shugden? I'm perplexed.

Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Helena

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 02:41:28 PM »
That is the whole point isn't it. From the whole statement, that sentence sticks out most of all.

"I'm quite healthy," he laughed, predicting that he'd live another 20 years, "no problem", he giggled.

In this case, the practice of DS cannot and have not shorten the HH's life at all, simply because DS is NOT a spirit or evil. DS is an ENLIGHTENED BEING - period.

The word, "no problem" should indicate beyond any reasonable doubt that HH is also an emanation of Chenrezig. Hence, nothing can harm him either.

So, what is TGIE so antsy about and getting all their knickers twisted for? Much ado about nothing and causing other innocent people so much grief and suffering in the process. Even those who wish to follow a certain Guru cannot because they are so confused and afraid about this ban. Hence, the conflict is also within their hearts and minds. I am sure that's painful to bear.

I guess we are much luckier because we are not Tibetans and we are spared from what they are subjected to. Hence, it is difficult to tell them just "follow your heart" and not obey. That much I do sympathize. In any case, it does take a strong and firm believer to stand in our own conviction.

Personally, I like this statement most of all - "  "Some people got the impression that the institution is very important for Tibetan Buddhism. It's not," he said.

Hmm..wonder if we should read more into that.
Helena

crazycloud

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 05:51:18 PM »

The word, "no problem" should indicate beyond any reasonable doubt that HH is also an emanation of Chenrezig. Hence, nothing can harm him either.

not good.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 08:41:41 PM »

Personally, I like this statement most of all - "  "Some people got the impression that the institution is very important for Tibetan Buddhism. It's not," he said.

i read that the Dalai Lama's role will change - he has also said before that this may be his last incarnation. i don't think that it's because he is not going to incarnate back but that he will not incarnate back as the Dalai Lama, hence that institution may disappear. If he appoints a successor, that will also take the mystique out of his God-King role and the Dalai Lama's institution would therefore change and in that sense, everything will be different.

honeydakini

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 08:49:56 PM »

i read that the Dalai Lama's role will change - he has also said before that this may be his last incarnation. i don't think that it's because he is not going to incarnate back but that he will not incarnate back as the Dalai Lama, hence that institution may disappear. If he appoints a successor, that will also take the mystique out of his God-King role and the Dalai Lama's institution would therefore change and in that sense, everything will be different.

I find this statement very positive, actually - a kind of "weening off" from dependence on the Dalai Lama and helping them get their own sense of independence, to stand on their own two feet. I like that it is empowering, and will somehow push people in a direction of seeking other teachers through a process of real learning and logic, and less from just a traditional, cultural superstition ("take the mystique out of his God-King role" as Kate has so carefully summed up!).

So. A whole new generation of teachers waits to arise and take over. As DL weens his followers off him, they will need to find new teachers to nurture them and there they'll be - the courageous new generation

crazycloud

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 08:51:43 PM »

i read that the Dalai Lama's role will change - he has also said before that this may be his last incarnation. i don't think that it's because he is not going to incarnate back but that he will not incarnate back as the Dalai Lama, hence that institution may disappear.

Wouldn't that be so nice?

If he appoints a successor, that will also take the mystique out of his God-King role and the Dalai Lama's institution would therefore change and in that sense, everything will be different.

That would be a delightful act of sanity, and would give the Tibetans a fighting chance....

crazycloud

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 08:57:08 PM »
I like that it is empowering, and will somehow push people in a direction of seeking other teachers through a process of real learning and logic, and less from just a traditional, cultural superstition ("take the mystique out of his God-King role" as Kate has so carefully summed up!).

I totally agree and find this well put.

I think this is the essence of why I find people's elation about a possible Drakpa Gyaltsen Tulku so disturbing, it's the precise opposite of this lovely, sane sentiment. Not that there's anything wrong with finding this Tulku, but why get s worked up about it? It could easily end up in a god-king-like situation.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 08:57:52 PM »

I find this statement very positive, actually - a kind of "weening off" from dependence on the Dalai Lama and helping them get their own sense of independence, to stand on their own two feet. I like that it is empowering, and will somehow push people in a direction of seeking other teachers through a process of real learning and logic, and less from just a traditional, cultural superstition ("take the mystique out of his God-King role" as Kate has so carefully summed up!).

So. A whole new generation of teachers waits to arise and take over. As DL weens his followers off him, they will need to find new teachers to nurture them and there they'll be - the courageous new generation

Perhaps this is truly Tibetan independence. I just feel that this time is full of change - as the Dalai Lama gets older and much as I hope he doesn't, he will pass on soon. Saying that, living another20 years is possible though... that'll make him 95 years old! I'm just curious how things will play out  - when will the ban fade? when will Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen reveal himself? We certainly live in interesting times.

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 05:20:52 AM »

Perhaps this is truly Tibetan independence. I just feel that this time is full of change - as the Dalai Lama gets older and much as I hope he doesn't, he will pass on soon. Saying that, living another20 years is possible though... that'll make him 95 years old! I'm just curious how things will play out  - when will the ban fade? when will Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen reveal himself? We certainly live in interesting times.

I share your view, Kate. I for one would not like to see the Dalai Lama (himself, not the institution) passed away, because of his tremendous contribution to make Tibetan Buddhism big and connecting many people to the Dharma, I think we all agree that nobody (so far) has made it this big.

Unfortunately, the TGIE still continue to execute the ban, although what HHDL said is a total opposite of the 'reasons' behind the ban.

Also, I think playing down the institution of the Dalai Lama is also a good way, then the Chinese will not be able to use the next incarnation of the Dalai Lama for political reason, as the Dalai Lama will play a more spiritual role if his incarnation comes back and is recognised among the Tibetans.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 05:55:33 AM by Vajraprotector »

DharmaDefender

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 05:58:13 AM »

"Perhaps this is truly Tibetan independence" - I like that Kate. Borrowing from the Zen tradition, the ninth-century Buddhist master Lin Chi is supposed to have said, "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him" (if only we'd had the great merits to meet the Buddha on the road, just like that!) We should avoid turning Buddha into some sort of cultural or religious fetish, and make him the object of our worship.

In what he does regarding Dorje Shugden, he also gives the rest of us other lessons. I mean, talk about duality - a big group of people see him as a manipulative person, and an even larger group of people see him as the manifestation of Chenrezig in human form. And this is just ONE person we're talking about...each group has the same stimulus and have access to the same words, but each group reacts differently. If we behave like this with the Dalai Lama (whom many of us have never even met), how do we behave with other people we actually meet? When we get annoyed or irritated by them, how many other people actually like that same person you dislike?

Besides, if some of us are so quick to react to his words in saying they're nothing but lies, as quickly as the Tibetans are to cling on to his every word as the truth, then perhaps we're in no position to judge each other.

DSFriend

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 06:49:58 AM »

Interesting how it will be different. Without the Dalai Lama institution, will the TGIE still be in operation? If not, then who will enforce the ban? Dalai Lama has been the "face" of Tibetan Buddhism throughout the world. I'm curious who if any will manifest to take on the torch...

Zhalmed Pawo

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 07:15:15 AM »
In what [HHDL] does regarding Dorje Shugden, he also gives the rest of us other lessons. I mean, talk about duality - a big group of people see him as a manipulative person, and an even larger group of people see him as the manifestation of Chenrezig in human form. And this is just ONE person we're talking about...each group has the same stimulus and have access to the same words, but each group reacts differently.

It is by no way certain, that he does these things to teach.

Let us take an example: You walk along the street, and suddenly someone rushes at you and punches your nose. Now as a Practitioner, you can opt to take this as a lesson about karma, about samsara, about patience, or whatever. If you do this, you can then rightly call the beating as a Teaching, and the bastard as your precious Guru. But this is merely your internal view, as a Practitioner. From the side of the assailant, and from the side of general public and society, he might be, and in all likelihood is, just a violent mad-man, and not your Teacher, nor was the purpose of the attack to teach you Dharma, but to pummel someone. Being beaten on the street can function as Dharma, but yet, beating people is not Dharma.

Similarly, as the HHDL has started a ban that is physically, socially, culturally and spiritually violent, it is up to you whether you take it as an unethical behviour, or as a Teaching. But you cannot say that it is a Teaching from the point of view of the action. It can function as such, but it is still not Dharma, or even decent.

To say that it is a Teaching, in public, is to confuse the internal possibilities given to a Practitioner with external truth. For many, especially those who do not know any Dharma, or are beginners, if they hear statements saying that starting a violent ban is a Teaching, it becomes very confusing as to what Dharma or Buddhism is all about. And to furthermore say that the originator of this ban is a Great Bodhisattva, is very confusing as to what Bodhisattvas are or do. Starting and maintaining a violent ban is never Dharma, or decent. It can only be taken internally as such, by great Practitioners. Internal possibilities are not public truths, and they should not be confused.

Zhalmed Pawo

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 07:19:10 AM »
In what [HHDL] does regarding Dorje Shugden, he also gives the rest of us other lessons. I mean, talk about duality - a big group of people see him as a manipulative person, and an even larger group of people see him as the manifestation of Chenrezig in human form. And this is just ONE person we're talking about...each group has the same stimulus and have access to the same words, but each group reacts differently.

As for the idea that "we all have the same stimuli", this is also not the case. There are those who have received stones, and those who have hurled the stones. It is not the same whether you stone someone or are being stoned. Somehow the stone throwers seem to hold the view that the person issuing the ban is Chenrezig, while it might understandably be a difficult view to maintain for those who are being stoned. How the stone throwers explain the contradiction to themselves, is not understandable. (There are of course also the bystanders and onlookers, who neither throw or receive any stones. Some of them do nothing to stop the throwing and still manage to call the issuer of the ban Chenrezig, while there are those who try to stop the throwing and find it hard to see how Chenrezig could ever initiate anything like this.) It is ironic that the violent ones attach themselves to the view of Chenrezig so very tightly. Perhaps they really need Chenrezig - it would just be so nice, if He existed for them in their hearts, and not just as an external God-King or Führer.

crazycloud

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 02:19:39 PM »
Over stressing the resultant view slightly goes against cause and effect, especially those who don't understand it.  The common view should be stressed more nowadays, otherwise everyone is going to be fooled.

One might say that the entire reason Je Tsongkhapa appeared was to establish this view for our times. Many people here, having become very excited by the Dharma, are now working to undo this, . Ironically, they are doing so in the name of Dorje Shugden, who only exists to protect the uncommon qualities of Je Rinpoche's doctrine!

sad times upon us.