Author Topic: I'LL LIVE ANOTHER 20 YEARS  (Read 17891 times)

shugdenprotect

• Email
Re: I'LL LIVE ANOTHER 20 YEARS
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 04:21:22 PM »
Honeydakini’s sharing reinforces my hope and faith that Dharma will continue to grow with great momentum and strength with the blessings of H.H the 14th Dalai Lama. In His statement "Some people got the impression that the institution is very important for Tibetan Buddhism. It's not," I read that H.H is setting the stage to end the Dalai Lama’s institution, paving way for the birth of a new method to spread Buddhadharma under the wisdom, compassion and stable dedication of a new generation of great teachers.

This can be seen as a form of adaptation to today’s needs. Perhaps, historically, the Dalai Lama’s institution was required to benefit Buddhadharma and sentient beings. However, today is much different from the time when the institution was formed approximately 400 years ago. Aligned with the view of impermanence, adaptation and new ways need to be implemented to speak to the minds who seek logic and understanding before acceptance and faith develops.

In this way, Wisdombeing’ statement speaks quite accurately that Tibet may obtain its true liberation by gaining freedom from the institution that has bound them from Tibet to India for the past 4 centuries.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 06:48:24 PM »
Thank you everyone for taking the time to shed light into my post. I can totally relate to what Kate and Honeydakini wrote. I do feel its empowering because whatever that was 'bad' or 'mistakes' that stemmed from the old system or institution needs to be re-evaluated. And if it cannot be improved and there is something much better, then by all means, it ceases to be important or of value anymore.

As it is, when times change and people's needs evolve, a lot of things do become obselete and no longer relevant. Unfortunately, there are some "old dogs or old members" who just refuse to change with the times and they are the ones grapsing on their own delusions or projections. So, when an institution is so infiltrated with such old boys who refuse to allow changes to occur, or even new members to enter, let alone, rise - then all kinds of conflicts ensue.

Personally, I see that not only in the case of TGIE or the insitution of the DL, it is EVERYWHERE. Sad thing is, those who are actively "guilty" do not see themselves as such. Perhaps it is ego, may be it is the habituations which have compounded over the years and that their delusions have become their reality. We see that happen every day in our secular world.

As all is created by humans and not Gods or Buddhas, the flaws are inevitable. There is no such thing as perfection. That is why it is called Samsara.

That we may even mistake the Buddhas and Enlightened Beings as Evil Spirits or Fakes is also not surprising. Again, that is the nature of Samsara.

I would dread the day that my mind cease to be open and just dwell in ignorance and my own created delusions. Although most would not admit that it is their own preferred state, but then again, they only know if their own self interests and desires. They have too much of their own interests at stake and are afraid to lose.

I am sure that members of TGIE would have much to lose when the DL institution is dissolved. Them, more than anyone else, of course. So, they should be very very afraid by now and pissing in their pants. No wonder they are so defensive and extreme in their fear that DS would shorten DL's life. They must be the ones who are the most afraid now and have sleepless nights. This explains all their desperate acts - from the ban to bullying everyone else who practices DS.

In this respect, I do pity them. They are already in their own created HELL.

At the end of the day, Dharma has taught me a great deal - in times when people are mean and nasty, we need to remain even more Dharmic. We need to be good examples of what Dharma is all about. It is obvious when people have departed from Dharmic behaviour, they have forgotten all about the Dharma. And boy, do they need help most of all. They need gentle and kind reminders from the rest of us. Especially, also a very powerful and compassionate Protector to aid them in finding their way "home".

I have been very fortunate as I have found my Guru and with the aid of Proctector, I do not fall into the traps of Samsara's ills as easily as some people do. It is ugly enough as it is. We do not need to add to it.

I am very grateful to have found this website, although I am relatively new. Every night before I go to bed, I can log into this sacred space, and read up on so many things. So much valuable info placed here and I sincerely appreciate that. Or else, I cannot imagine where and how I have to search or hunt for all of them. IIn addition, the kind people in the Forum (most people anyways) have taken time and effort to share very pertinent anad meaningful info for all of us to read with ease and convenience. Again, I would not know where in the world to begin searching for them if I had to do it all on my own. This world wide web is way too vast and wide for me to even start looking.

So, truly and deeply, I thank you all for your kind and selfless desire to want to help all of us to learn, without any ill intent or expectations or personal agendas.

I for one would truly hope that more and more people find out about this website and forum.
This is indeed a source of comfort, education, friendship and solace. May many more newbies flood in as they deserve to know and learn. We all do.

Everyone should benefit, and will, as I have. Thank you and good night.
Helena

godi

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 08:22:53 PM »
In this German newspaper it is said that the Dalai Lama thinks that he will have a long live, because there is a 200 year old prophecy saying that "the Dalai Lama who has to flee from Tibet will be 113 years old"
http://www.fr-online.de/in_und_ausland/politik/aktuell/2821558_Festnahmen-bei-Feiern-zum-75.-Geburtstag.html

honeydakini

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 12:12:50 PM »
It is ironic that the violent ones attach themselves to the view of Chenrezig so very tightly. 

Ironic too that these people believe the statement that "evil spirits" like DS pose a threat to Chenrezig's life, for if he really was an emanation of Chenrezig, then why would he fear a spirit? That's saying a Buddha can be toppled by a spirit - which of course does not follow dharmic logic. The very basis that has been for the ban - that it will harm DL's life and the Tibetan cause - holds no water at all. If DS really was a threat, wouldn't he have just done away with DL by now? Why even wait this long?

WoselTenzin

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 01:28:20 PM »
The Dalai Lama is in no hurry to appoint a successor, he told NDTV presenter Barkha Dhutt on July 4 at his residence in Dharamsala, India. The hour-long interview was conducted before an audience of followers and tourists to celebrate his 75th birthday and was broadcast on NDTV on July 6.

"I'm quite healthy," he laughed, predicting that he'd live another 20 years, "no problem", he giggled.
In fact, the Buddhist leader expressed indifference toward the continuation of the institution of the Dalai Lama. "Some people got the impression that the institution is very important for Tibetan Buddhism. It's not," he said.

"I am not much concerned about these things," the Dalai Lama admitted. "As I have expressed, Chinese Communists seem to be more concerned about the Dalai Lama institution than me."

Pressed to discuss the hypothetical continuation of the institution, the Dalai Lama reiterated a statement he made last year that he may be succeeded by a woman, saying, "If circumstance is such that a female reincarnation would be more effective, and carry the true traditional spiritual way ... I've got no problem."

The Tibetan leader also talked about the application of Buddhist principles of non-violence to 21st-century dilemmas, the marriage of scientific and spiritual worldviews, what makes him lose his temper, and his weakness for watches.

from THOMAS DAVID CANADA

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/Guestbook/

Contradictions upon contradictions.  So DS is not an evil spirit now because Dalai Lama is going to live up to a ripe old of 95.  I wonder what other excuses is TGIE going to use to maintain the ban?  Is Dalai Lama trying to tell the TGIE indirectly that DS is not an evil spirit and it is time to uplift the ban?  Does Dalai Lama also believe that the time has come for DS to take over as the main protector and he is beginning to set stage for this to happen?  I am just wondering out loud.  What does everyone think?   

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 04:37:13 PM »
In this German newspaper it is said that the Dalai Lama thinks that he will have a long live, because there is a 200 year old prophecy saying that "the Dalai Lama who has to flee from Tibet will be 113 years old"
http://www.fr-online.de/in_und_ausland/politik/aktuell/2821558_Festnahmen-bei-Feiern-zum-75.-Geburtstag.html

For English speakers - here's a rough summary of points of interest.

In this article, it says that the Dalai Lama is committed to a solution of the Tibet issue. His goal is not Tibet's independence, which is under Chinese rule, but a limited autonomy. China accuses him of operating under the guise of religion to achieve the separation of Tibet.

The article also reported that Nepal is sympathetic to China and clamped down on the Dalai Lama's birthday celebrations recently.

In recent years, the Dalai Lama's ailing health would always raise the question of succession, which is so far unclear. Tibetans fear that after the death of the Dalai Lama, the cohesion of the Tibetan movement might disappear and the Tibet issue lose importance. China in turn has announced plans to have a say in the search for a successor.

"We must be prepared for the day, which means that we need a strong government in exile, and need a good education for the young generation," said the chairman of the Tibetan Youth Congress, Tsewang Rigzin. The Dalai Lama is believed to have a long life. "There is a 200 year old prophecy, which states that the Dalai Lama who leaves Tibet would live to be 113 years old," he said in an interview with "Bild"-Zeitung.

So this article again highlights that 1) the Dalai Lama's life is not under threat 2) the Dalai Lama is not looking for independence for Tibet, ... res ipsa loquitur.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

thor

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 08:46:14 PM »

"We must be prepared for the day, which means that we need a strong government in exile, and need a good education for the young generation," said the chairman of the Tibetan Youth Congress, Tsewang Rigzin. The Dalai Lama is believed to have a long life. "There is a 200 year old prophecy, which states that the Dalai Lama who leaves Tibet would live to be 113 years old," he said in an interview with "Bild"-Zeitung.

So this article again highlights that 1) the Dalai Lama's life is not under threat 2) the Dalai Lama is not looking for independence for Tibet, ... res ipsa loquitur.

Thanks again Kate for the translation.

Nothing much new in this article that hasnt been said before. I was rereading a biography of the Dalai Lama today and it struck me that democracy, voting, modern parliamentary procedure is pretty new to Tibetans. Being isolated up in a mountain kingdom, protected from change - and in the last 50 years having their world turned around in exile. And now when Dalai Lama passes on, here comes another huge upset in the Tibetan community that it has never experienced before. Losing their leader with no idea of how the succession will go.

Something that was once held sacred and under the jurisdiction of holy men is now in the spotlight for the rest of the world to see. And worse, for them to meddle into and corrupt with politics. Not wanting to be sentimental but it is painful to see such rich tradition destroyed in the name of modernity, independence and power.

DSFriend

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 05:17:09 AM »

thanks but too bad i can't read German.

Big Uncle

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 06:59:18 AM »
It seems the Dalai Lama does not want to leave an heir to the Dalai Lama's institution or he could already be grooming up someone to take over his position. Either way, I have a feeling that the Dalai Lama wants to return without the encumbrance of a political institution so he would be able to spread Dharma better.

I think a religious leader of Dalai Lama's stature is stil very much needed for the future of Buddhism. As we approach closer and closer to the time when the Dharma is destroyed, there is supposed to be a renaissance of Buddhism before it dies out completely. We need a very special leader.

There are a few already mentioned like the Karmapa, which would be unlikely considering his two emanations would only complicate matters. There is the Panchen Lama in China if he is nurtured well and I think he is a real incarnation considering the fact that Gangchen Rinpoche recognises him. Or even this incarnation of Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen would be a good candidate but only time will tell.

Maybe the Dalai Lama is extending his life because he feels the next generation of Lamas is not ready to take one the lead yet. He is buying some more time so they will be prepared to take on the challenge. Only the high Lamas knows what's happening right now. The Dalai Lama's mind and intention is too vast for us spiritual infants.

Big Uncle

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:26:38 AM by Big Uncle »

honeydakini

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 09:39:27 AM »
Either way, I have a feeling that the Dalai Lama wants to return with the encumbrance of a political institution so he would be able to spread Dharma better.

surely you mean WITHOUT the encumbrance?!

With respect to his holiness, I don't think the world needs him to continue spreading the Dharma right now. He played a big role in bringing Dharma out to the world, which I think many people acknowledge and are grateful for. However, in recent years, as his position seems to have become more political and overshadowed by the actions of the TGIE, it's a whole new generation of Lamas who have taken up the baton and are now lighting the way all around the world.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 04:05:44 PM »

I think a religious leader of Dalai Lama's stature is stil very much needed for the future of Buddhism. As we approach closer and closer to the time when the Dharma is destroyed, there is supposed to be a renaissance of Buddhism before it dies out completely. We need a very special leader.

There are a few already mentioned like the Karmapa, which would be unlikely considering his two emanations would only complicate matters. There is the Panchen Lama in China if he is nurtured well and I think he is a real incarnation considering the fact that Gangchen Rinpoche recognises him. Or even this incarnation of Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen would be a good candidate but only time will tell.
yes i agree with you. When the Dalai Lama leaves us, who is the next great Buddhist leader? The Panchen Lama is still young and there are also two emanations, similar to the Karmapa. With the backing of the Chinese government, the Panchen Lama (Gyancain Norbu) will always be under suspicion for not being the real Panchen Lama, despite HE Gangchen Lama's support. What you raise is interesting - could the new incarnation of Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen be the next leader?

Considering the skepticism from our forum members, I can only imagine what reaction there would be out there. However, Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen's lineage is truly spectacular so the possibilities are definitely very, very interesting!

Maybe the Dalai Lama is extending his life because he feels the next generation of Lamas is not ready to take one the lead yet. He is buying some more time so they will be prepared to take on the challenge. Only the high Lamas knows what's happening right now. The Dalai Lama's mind and intention is too vast for us spiritual infants.

Big Uncle

Thank you for this interesting hypothesis, Big Uncle.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Helena

• Email
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 07:30:39 PM »
I tend to agree with Honeydakini's point of views.

I also think that DL has already done his job and he delivered the goods -i.e. to make Buddhism a global name and brand.

Unfortunately, because of TGIE's very unsavoury ways of crafting and executing their policies, DL has been severely marred by these. Just look at what some of the Forum members have been saying over and over again in all the threads!

Some say DL is sick and some just say plain hateful, unpleasant things about DL. So, the time is ripening for another leader to take over. The only question is who?

If Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen's reincarnation fits the bill, then all the power to him!

Either way, I have a feeling that the Dalai Lama wants to return with the encumbrance of a political institution so he would be able to spread Dharma better.

surely you mean WITHOUT the encumbrance?!

With respect to his holiness, I don't think the world needs him to continue spreading the Dharma right now. He played a big role in bringing Dharma out to the world, which I think many people acknowledge and are grateful for. However, in recent years, as his position seems to have become more political and overshadowed by the actions of the TGIE, it's a whole new generation of Lamas who have taken up the baton and are now lighting the way all around the world.

Helena

DharmaDefender

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 07:23:38 AM »
Thank you everyone for taking the time to shed light into my post. I can totally relate to what Kate and Honeydakini wrote. I do feel its empowering because whatever that was 'bad' or 'mistakes' that stemmed from the old system or institution needs to be re-evaluated. And if it cannot be improved and there is something much better, then by all means, it ceases to be important or of value anymore.

As a religion / philosophy / way of life, that's how Buddhism has existed for centuries. The practice of debate and contemplation and challenging and not promoting blind faith is all towards improving old systems and institutions and ways of thinking. I think that's what's almost magical about the teachings - because they speak the truth, they apply to anyone and everyone for centuries, without having to be resistant to change (because how can you change the truth). It seems to me that when religions and their practitioners become resistant to change (and the truth of change), that's when conflict arises.

I would dread the day that my mind cease to be open and just dwell in ignorance and my own created delusions. Although most would not admit that it is their own preferred state, but then again, they only know if their own self interests and desires. They have too much of their own interests at stake and are afraid to lose.

Equally (and I'm not saying that you are!), we must also be aware of not falling into the trap and becoming so up ourselves by thinking we are open minded and accepting and tolerant, and many other people aren't.

I am sure that members of TGIE would have much to lose when the DL institution is dissolved. Them, more than anyone else, of course. So, they should be very very afraid by now and pissing in their pants. No wonder they are so defensive and extreme in their fear that DS would shorten DL's life. They must be the ones who are the most afraid now and have sleepless nights. This explains all their desperate acts - from the ban to bullying everyone else who practices DS.

You know what the ironic thing is? The Dalai Lama is already giving them the methods to detach from their dependence on him, and yet they do not grasp these methods. How many of us have already been provided methods to less suffering by our gurus, and still we don't take them?

So really, whilst we have compassion for the TGIE and their blind faith, we must also use their actions as an example to ourselves. Yes samayatree, you said that "they need gentle and kind reminders from the rest of us" but they can be our reminders too. Plainly, clearly we can see how much pain grasping and attachment can cause, not just for oneself but for so many people around us / them too.

DSFriend

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 11:05:31 AM »

Interesting! From what I gathered, people in this forum do agree that Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen is an extraordinary being. The contention seems to be if there will be an incarnation of Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen.

crazycloud

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 03:11:11 PM »

There is the Panchen Lama in China if he is nurtured well and I think he is a real incarnation considering the fact that Gangchen Rinpoche recognises him.

I think it is important to make a distinction here: DOes Gangchen Rinpoche recognize the Panchen in the sense of saying thsi being is the same mental continuum as Panchen Lama Losang Chokyi Gyaltsen, or is he being pragmatic and accepting that this lama is called the Panchen and is in a very good position to benefit others? Has he ever made statements to either effect?

The Dalai Lama's mind and intention is too vast for us spiritual infants.

Comparing yourself unfavorably to someone who has utterly broken their guru devotion is inauspicious, to say the least.