Author Topic: Bostwana Visit of His Holiness the Dalai Lama Cancelled Owing to Exhaustion  (Read 85 times)

michaela

People will be wondering as to what is the reason of this cancellation? Is it because of the Dalai Lama's health and exhaustion or because China has been stepping up warning to Bostwana over the Dalai Lama's visit. Because if the Dalai Lama visit Bostwana, it would be big news since this will be the Dalai Lama's maiden visit to Africa.

----

Dharamsala: The Office of His Holiness the Dalai Lama confirmed the cancellation of His Holiness’ visit to Bostwana originally scheduled for August 15-20 this year.

“Earlier today, His Holiness the Dalai Lama wrote to both His Excellency Ian Khama, President of the Republic of Botswana and Dr. Susan Bauer-Wu, President of Mind & Life Institute today, expressing profound regret at having to cancel his impending visit to Botswana due to exhaustion,” read the statement on www.dalailama.com

It further mentioned “During the past few weeks, His Holiness has found that carrying out his activities has left him unusually tired. Although he had been eagerly looking forward to visiting Gaborone from August 15 to 20 and participating in the Mind & Life Conference and other engagements, His Holiness has reluctantly had to concede that his 82-year old body was telling him to rest.”

It further mentioned “Since his physicians have also advised him to avoid undertaking long journeys for the next few weeks, His Holiness will return to Dharamsala to recuperate.”

In his letter to President Khama His Holiness expressed deep admiration, respect and gratitude to him and the Government of Botswana for their unwavering principled stand to welcome him to their country, despite overwhelming pressure not to do so. His Holiness repeated his disappointment at being unable to come to Botswana at this time.

In his letter to Dr. Susan Bauer-Wu His Holiness wrote, “I was very much looking forward to visiting Botswana and participating in the Mind & Life Conference centered on discussions of Ubuntu, which is very similar to my fundamental belief that we are all interdependent and therefore need to conduct ourselves with a sense of universal responsibility. Despite my absence, I urge all of you to continue with the conference, to hold valuable discussions and publish the results. Many of you are familiar with how I think and can share those ideas with others during the proceedings.”

His Holiness requested Dr. Susan to offer apologies on his behalf to her fellow organisers, as well as all the panelists. His Holiness expressed his happiness and joy to know that the conference will remain as scheduled.

dsnowlion

Whatever it michaela --- time is running short for the CTA in general. Dalai Lama is not getting any younger that is for sure and I would not be surprised that he needs to start looking into his succession. I do not wish anything ill towards the Dalai Lama, but I know this also means the ban on Dorje Shugden will soon come to an end also.

Why? Because for one thing, when the Dalai Lama is not around until his next incarnation, many many things can happen.... such as... the CLOSURE OF CTA. How so? Why would they need to exist? India will and does not have any obligations in maintaining them and I am sure this is the time the ties with China will strengthen even more.

Pema8

Well lets face it... China has big connections with Africa. South Africa has denied visa to the Dalai Lama three times as states in the article!

Yet, in the end, who does benefit Africa more, the CTA or China? This answer is for sure easy!

http://ewn.co.za/2017/07/26/china-steps-up-warning-to-botswana-over-dalai-lama-visit
CHINA STEPS UP WARNING TO BOTSWANA OVER DALAI LAMA VISIT
China has already "clearly" expressed its point of view about the Dalai Lama's visit, Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang told a daily news briefing.

BEIJING - China stepped up its warning to Botswana on Wednesday over a planned visit by exiled Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama next month, demanding the African nation respect China's core interests.

The Dalai Lama, reviled by Beijing as a dangerous separatist, is expected to address a human rights conference in the capital, Gaborone, on 17-19 August and will also meet Botswana's president. China is a major investor in Botswana's economy.

China has already "clearly" expressed its point of view about the Dalai Lama's visit, Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang told a daily news briefing.

"Issues relating to Tibet concern China's sovereignty and territory integrity. We demand the relevant country earnestly respect China's core interests and make the correct political decision on this matter," Lu said, using stronger language than before on the issue.

"China will not interfere in other countries' internal affairs, but will certainly not tolerate another country doing anything that harms China's core interests," he added, without elaborating.

The Dalai Lama, who fled from Tibet into exile in India in 1959 following a failed uprising against Chinese rule, has long been at loggerheads with China, which sent its troops into Tibet in 1950.

The Dalai Lama, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989, denies he is seeking independence for his Himalayan homeland. He says he is merely seeking greater rights, including religious freedom and genuine autonomy.
Visits by the Dalai Lama to foreign countries infuriate China.

It often retaliates by stopping high-level meetings or taking economic steps, like last year when it imposed new border fees following a visit by the Dalai Lama to Mongolia.

Botswana's neighbour, South Africa, has denied a visa to the Buddhist monk three times since 2009 in what opposition parties there, and Archbishop Desmond Tutu, say shows the extent of Beijing's influence over Pretoria.

China's fast-growing demand for raw materials has made it one of the biggest investors in Africa and its largest trade partner. Chinese state-owned companies have been awarded contracts to build roads, dams, power stations and airports in Botswana.

michaela

It is strange though. If the Dalai Lama is truly exhausted, why he is still traveling around India? He has just completed a visit to New Delhi to attend World Peace & Harmony Conclave. I think the exhaustion is just an excuse to avoid diplomatic embarrassment.

dsnowlion

It is strange though. If the Dalai Lama is truly exhausted, why he is still traveling around India? He has just completed a visit to New Delhi to attend World Peace & Harmony Conclave. I think the exhaustion is just an excuse to avoid diplomatic embarrassment.

This could probably be true as well. Whatever the case... I think their days are numbered and it is better for His Holiness to lay low for now before the world starts asking them to show their books. Especially now when more and more Tibetans are speaking up against the corrupted Central Tibetan Government. Due to all the bad they have done to their own people and causing schism and disharmony, the karma will return to them in many folds, and if do not believe in karma, then why are should they believe and follow what HH the Dalai Lama says and do? Poor CTA, soon they will become "irrelevant" just liek their office in Taiwan being closed down!