Author Topic: Rebuilding Nepal After Earthquake  (Read 10464 times)

icy

Rebuilding Nepal After Earthquake
« on: May 10, 2015, 03:04:59 AM »
Let's hope more powerful and wealthy people will join Jack Ma and Binod Chaudhary in the efforts of rebuilding Nepal after the devastating earthquake that hit Nepal.   What Nepal needs is construction of building that can be modelled after Japan's.  Although in Japan's hard hit earthquake's magnitude of more than 8.1 Ms, her buildings remain intact and undamaged and hence her people are not hurt or harmed.  Nepal should learn from Japan in its rebuilding to avoid vast destruction.

Alibaba's Jack Ma Joins Nepali Billionaire Binod Chaudhary's Rebuilding Efforts In Quake-Hit Nepal

Two weeks after a devastating earthquake killed thousands of people and left widespread destruction in its wake, Binod Chaudhary, Nepal’s only billionaire, says his focus is now on helping to rebuild his quake-ravaged country. Through his charitable arm, the Chaudhary Foundation, the billionaire is contributing $2.5 million in efforts to reconstruct 100 schools and 10,000 houses. The Foundation will pay the cost of 1,000 homes and raise money from other wealthy donors for the remaining 9,000 units.

Fellow billionaires from around the region have already started lending a helping hand. Jack Ma’s Alibaba Foundation has agreed to fund 1,000 homes and will be sending a team of 10 executives to Nepal, reports Chaudhary. The Indorama Foundation, the charitable arm of Indian-born Indonesian plastics tycoon Sri Prakash Lohia, has pledged funds for 1,000 homes.

These commitments reflect the “tremendous goodwill and sympathy for Nepal, ” says Chaudhary, who’s currently in Sri Lanka on a business trip.  For example, Alibaba’s Ma, whom Chaudhary met a year ago, was quick to respond to his request for help. So too his friend Lohia.

The houses to be constructed are expected to cost $750 each and are being designed by Seeds India, an Indian non-profit, which has done similar work in northern India and Habitat for Humanity, which already operates in Nepal. PwC Foundation is the overall coordinator of the program.

Chaudhary’s son Nirvan who’s helping his father in the group’s relief operations, says that work is underway on a war footing as the monsoons are imminent. “ The rains will pose a logistical nightmare, especially in remote areas,” he notes.

Another problem the group faces is finding construction workers for this rebuilding effort as the earthquake has led to an exodus of people. For now, says Nirvan, they want to ensure that the design of the house is appropriate and practical. He expects this to be ready as early as next week.

While Chaudhary says that business is slowly coming back to some semblance of normalcy, some people have still not reported back to work. “ There’s a feeling of insecurity hovering over us. Life has been full of challenges.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/naazneenkarmali/2015/05/08/alibabas-jack-ma-joins-nepali-billionaire-binod-chaudharys-rebuilding-efforts-in-quake-hit-nepal/

Dondrup Shugden

Re: Rebuilding Nepal After Earthquake
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 05:05:20 PM »
I rejoice in reading the good news of the help the world's billionaires are helping to rebuild homes in Nepal.

What is also heart warming is that Mr. Jack Ma of China is also sending executives to get the work done.

It is nice that the world has such compassionate people and may the homes build be of the highest standard to withstand any future mishaps.

Kim Hyun Jae

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 02:42:02 PM »
What is required right now just after the earthquake is for a safe roof over those who lost their homes. Nepal houses are built without strong foundation and most from bricks, sand and mud or straws hence they collapsed easily. With a safe roof over their heads, the homeless will have a place to rest, cook and return to after hard work at end of day. Most Nepali women are homemakers and cares for their young and the men works mostly. With a home rebuild and settled, the minds of Nepali will be more stable to think of rebuilding Nepal as it used to be.

I rejoice in that these billionaires have pooled in their resource to help Nepal to rebuild their lost homes and hope towards a better future.

kelly

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 08:56:28 AM »
very heart warming to see the rich willing to help Nepalis in building their home because at this moment of time I think the Nepalis need the most is a home then only they can go back to their life this is the most devastating moment for all these victims.I hope there be more rich can help them let prays for the earth quake victims so that they be able to go back to their life again.

Midakpa

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 01:00:05 PM »
It is heartening to learn that the rich are helping to build homes for the quake victims in Nepal. I'm sure that after this tragedy, the government will ensure that the new houses and buildings in the country will be able to withstand strong earthquakes. The homeless also need good temporary shelters during the coming monsoon season. I pray that the Nepali people will receive all the aid that they need and be able to lead a normal life again soon.

MoMo

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 01:32:14 PM »
Yes, the world should join hands in rebuilding Nepal, their beautiful cultures and historical sites to their former glory but most importantly is the Nepali Government should brushed up their act in helping their nation who are most in needs now! All of us that have visited this beautiful country also noticed that the government have not done much in improving the nation living standard as compared to other neighbouring countries . I pray that with the foreign funds that pulled in  by Jack Ma and Binod Chaudhary will be used mainly for the benefit of the Nepali people in large  and not divert into the wrong hand. For the duo efforts in spear heading the fund raising in this great meritorious act, I rejoice ! :)

lotus1

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 04:18:20 PM »
It is heartwarming to know that Jack Ma and Binod Chaudhary are helping in rebuilding Nepal after the earthquake.
There are various international organizations, charity and NGOs are also helping to raise fund, sending rescues, relief supplies and medical supports to Nepal.
As the initial earthquake on 25/4/2015 as well as the second earthquake on 12/5/2015, the damage was very bad. Reconstruction efforts will take a long time and it needs a lot of people to join force to support Nepal.
May more people will support and rebuild Nepal.   

tingtong

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 12:22:37 AM »
That is a great news where many people begin to see Nepal natural disaster and been taking actions.
I during the first disaster in fact not much of people are concern over the condition of the victim of the country and until the 2nd earthquake.. but I felt it is still not too late where not only billionaire gives a hand.. layman like us could help them in our context too...

cookie

• Email
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 11:52:04 AM »
It's great to see so much generosity from different people, different governements from different parts of the world. Nepal has always been a very poor nation. But its people are mostly hardworking, spiritual and contented. Many of them have to leave their country and their loved ones to find work overseas to send money home to feed and educate their children. I hope many many more will help in every way they can to lend a hand to all these people. May the Buddhas bless all sentient beings in Nepal and provide them the perfect conditions to continue their practices and lives.

fruven

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 12:06:50 AM »
It is heart warming that there are individuals willing to share their wealth to help the Nepalese. The earthquake has caused so much economic damage beside the mental suffering for the victims, I think it is just hard for them to survive. The aftermath is the critical period and I hope the media will continue covering the situations as these will raise the awareness that this is not just a earthquake rescue mission and be done with it.

kris

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 09:16:48 AM »
I have been to Nepal, and from my observation, many of the buildings are not earthquake proof. I know this is a very expensive lesson, but Nepal government should start having standards for buildings ready for earthquakes. Nepal is a very special country, with strong spirituality, and many people including me wish Nepal can be rebuilt very soon for the many pilgrims.

let's all help Nepal to rebuild their country, and not just depend on the rich people.

pinecone

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 01:47:47 PM »
According to Buddhism teachings, virtuous actions, or good karma are the main cause not only to take rebirth in the higher realms of human and gods but also of happiness and good fortune in general.  What is more wonderful to see than witnessing the deeds of these two beings, Mr Jack Ma and Mr Binod Chaudhary who have voluntarily and out of compassion helped the Nepalese  to restart and move on to their lives after the disastrous earth quake by  rebuilding their homes . My respect and  salute to them!