Author Topic: Warning to Porsche-driving Nun  (Read 13670 times)

icy

Warning to Porsche-driving Nun
« on: June 28, 2014, 10:27:37 AM »
Can nuns drive Porsche?

The National Office of Buddhism has sent a warning to a nun, pictured driving a brand new Porsche, to adopt a more austere and frugal lifestyle. 

Nopparat Benjawatananun, director-general of the office, said on Thursday the nun was based at Wat Tham Khwan Muang in Sawi district of Chumphon province and the office had asked the abbot of the temple to tell the nun to adhere to the sufficiency way of life.

Mr Nopparat said a disciple had bought the Prsche and donated it to the nun.  He urged Buddhists to make more appropriate donations to monks, novices and niuns - they should not buy products like luxury cars.

He said Buddhist monks, novices and nuns must live in a sufficiency fashion and behave respectably.

The issue became the talk of the town after  a Facebook user, identified in Thai as Samart Thongmee, recently posted a picture of the white-clad nun in the driver's seat of the while Porsche, apparently a Caymen series priced at 6.3 million baht.

cookie

• Email
Re: Warning to Porsche-driving Nun
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 03:21:41 AM »
In Samsara, a situation as such would be scorned at. Everyone has the "expectation" that a monk or nun or anyone who is holding spiritual vows must only live humbly or in this case "adhere to sufficiency way of life". Many will hold on to the view that it is inappropriate for them to have the finer things of life because religion speaks of non-attachment, renunciation, letting go etc, as the way of life. But for those who have no vows and has the means, it is rightful to enjoy the finer things of life ! How ironic is that !
There is this story of 2 men and 2 pieces of fruit. One man picks the ripe fruit and left the unripened one to the other. Hence the other man got angry. This anger comes from the thought that he has been treated unfairly; also that he wanted the ripe fruit too and did not get it. If his thought was more pure, that a fruit is a fruit and as long as he does not grasp at the thought of that "HE" is more important , then the anger would not arise. This grasping of "I"(must always have the "best") is the cause of the anger.
So ..... if we don't hold to the fact that only certain people are "entitled" to drive a Porche, then such controversies will not arise. If we look at the Porche as just another car, it was gifted to the Nun with good intentions, the Nun did not obtain it  is using it with pure motives, then she is pretty much entitled to drive it too !
The general rule is that offerings must be given or received without DECEIT. Deceit with respect to the object being offered, and deceitful motives. Deceit with respect the the object being offered means that some faulty actions was committed whilst one obtained the things to be offered. Deceitful motives are wrong intentions .

Freyr Aesiragnorak

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 11:05:36 AM »
Cookie's answer is fantastic! Why have such expectations of what an ordained person can or cannot do. There are no rules on the Vinaya about not driving around in fancy vehicles (as far as my extremely limited understanding is). What is the point here? Is it that the ordained sangha should conform to ideals forced upon them. Who would know what living by keeping the vinaya rules would look like, an official, a lay person, or the ordained sangha member themselves who has studies the vinaya.

So the nun received a Porche from a student. Did anybody think about this student when debating this issue? In my opinion a real student of the Dharma would give the nun what she really needed and not some fancy car. Did you ever think that this student actually thought that this would be a good offering to the nun, and made it from the heart. I'm not sure of this, as it is not stated in the article, but it could be a motivating factor, why the gift was given.   

RedLantern

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 11:20:40 AM »
I have not seen any monk or nuns driving a Porsche before.Most of them don't own anything.
But what if it was borrowed or rent?

dondrup

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 03:27:36 PM »
Samart Thongmee could have been more skilful than to donate a Porshe to a novice nun! Similarly the nun or the abbot of her temple could have stopped this extravaganza before it caused a disrepute to Thai Buddhism. 

The image of Thai Buddhism had suffered tremendously of late due to various misdeeds of a few monks.  It is commendable that The National Office of Buddhism had warned the nun , her temple and the sangha generally to adopt a more frugal lifestyle appropriate to the sangha community.

angelica

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 04:13:19 PM »
As per the 50 verses of guru devotion, a student that want to achieve the Buddha's wisdom body, should be making material offering from the cheapest to the most expensive and the guru should accept it. This is a way for the guru to help the disciple to let go of attachment. Therefore I think the disciple is not wrong in offering a Porche to the nun. He is offering something that he like and is the best quality. I rejoice on the generosity of the disciple to be able to make such an offering to the nun.

DS Star

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 09:21:51 PM »
A Sangha member is not supposed to own any worldly possession. Spiritual practice is a practice of letting go and non-attachment. Sangha members are the ultimate examples of this virtue.

Attachment or clinging or desire to all these world conditioned things is one of the main causes for sufferings and the continuous rebirth in this vicious chain of samsara.

Although the Porsche was a gift from a disciple, the nun should have advise the disciple to donate the money to projects that can benefits many people. As we know Thailand is no different from any other countries in South East Asia where there are many poor and homeless people that don't even have enough to eat. Hence the act of this nun driving around such an expensive car is like a total opposite to the teaching a Sangha member supposed to spread.

Then again we are not supposed to judge or to criticize without knowing the real reason behind this issue, nevertheless, by driving around in this luxury car, the nun had caused uneasiness among the society and caused suspicious on proper conduct of Sangha community. So it is better for the temple to sell the car and use the money for the benefits of others.

fruven

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 10:53:44 PM »
This is not the first time of news of monks or nuns in expensive cars. Such gifts are becoming more common nowadays. If lay people can have wrong thoughts when they see monks or nuns in expensive car they can choose not to sit in the car.

eyesoftara

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 04:25:15 AM »
As per the 50 verses of guru devotion, a student that want to achieve the Buddha's wisdom body, should be making material offering from the cheapest to the most expensive and the guru should accept it. This is a way for the guru to help the disciple to let go of attachment. Therefore I think the disciple is not wrong in offering a Porche to the nun. He is offering something that he like and is the best quality. I rejoice on the generosity of the disciple to be able to make such an offering to the nun.

While I agree with angelica on making the best offerings to the Guru and I may add to the Sangha, I would like to point out that being a nun or a sangha, the image and the skillful method of practice is that of renunciation. The inner renunciation is that of leaving the cyclic existence but to practice that the sangha practices both inner and other renunciation, which is to live a simple life. So for me, this nun driving a Porsche,is not appropriate at least from an outer point of view.

MoMo

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 10:32:14 AM »
In the Thai’s “forest tradition” most monks or nuns the sole procession allowed are three robes and a begging bowl. By offering an expensive sport-car to a nun is truly unwise as it would cause a lot of misconception the public would have on the Sangha following the “Forest Tradition”. There’re many ways to support the Sangha why choose the one that will stir up outcry from the public? But if we were to discuss this topic here based on the Mahasiddha level, then everything would be justifiable. ::)

bambi

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 02:19:06 PM »

If I have the money, I would definitely gift my Guru the best that I can offer but we must also use a more skillful way to do so. There are so many people out there who have wrong views and if I didnt know better, I would also have the wrong view. If I were to offer a car to my Guru, I would get someone to drive and a few other people to accompany so that it wouldnt be so 'offensive' to some people and not let people have any negative things to ay.

Klein

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 10:49:37 AM »
We should never judge what others offer to the sangha. As long as the motivation from the lay person is good, it's good enough to generate the merits. Sangha is a merit field for lay people like us to generate merits. Sangha should accept the offering because of this.

On the side of the nun, if her motivation is good, she generate merits as well. Whatever it is, they will be answerable to their own karmas. So please do not judge.

Midakpa

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 02:09:16 PM »
The "nun" in question is a Mae Chees in the Thai Buddhist tradition. Mae Chees are not nuns in the strict sense of the word. There is no Bhikkhuni sangha in Thailand. These women have taken the eight precepts, live in monasteries or in dedicated communities of female renunciants. Although they are not lay people, they are not recognised as monastics by the Thai Government and do not receive the benefits that are given to monks, for example they do not get free public transport that is allowed for monks.

It is possible that people have a confused idea of how a Mae Chee should behave. They probably think Mae Chees should behave like monks since they live in monasteries. The rules of moral conduct regarding Mae Chees are not very clear. The Mae Chee in question could have thought that accepting a gift from a lay disciple was all right. After all did she break any vows?

The monastic communities and the Government in Thailand must discuss this and come up with guidelines for the Mae Chee community. I feel that the Thai Government must also help this group of female renunciants to have a better life by providing for their needs and giving to them the same benefits they give to monks, like free public transport.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 01:51:53 PM »
Can nuns drive Porsche?

To that, I say why not? Is there anything wrong in driving a Porsche or Lamborghini or Ferrari? Whilst it may appear to be wrong, why do we want to judge?  We may think that she should be frugal and not splurge on this, but the car could have been a gift from the students?

We should learn from this not to judge others when we do not know the actual situation.

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 08:03:50 AM »
Human being are born to be very judge mental and this can be good and if we expect certain things or behaviour did not turn out to be what we have expected, then it is bad. Well, if a monk or nun chose to drive in an expensive car, i am sure they have thought of all the potential news or feed back they will get from the public.

I am not sure about the actual situation but if i can afford such an expensive offering, i would offer it up to my Guru.
And if someone do offer an expensive offering to her, Hey she must be good in what she is doing.