Author Topic: Loch Ness monster is “spiritual”  (Read 7232 times)

icy

Loch Ness monster is “spiritual”
« on: April 27, 2014, 02:05:26 AM »
Loch Ness monster is believed to be a 'naga'.  When 'naga' is appeased, it will bring prosperity and harmony to the region.  What do you think?

The Loch Ness Monster could be confirmed as a “spiritual entity” when a new Buddhist centre opens in the Highlands, it was revealed today.

Britain’s first Buddhist Lama, who is heading up the new project, said Nessie is a “naga” - a water deity which brings prosperity in the religion.

Spiritual director of the project, Lama Gelongmo Zangmo, aims to create a new spiritual centre overlooking the Loch in the Drumnadrochit area this autumn.

Formerly a nun, Lama Zangmo was the first woman in Britain to be chosen as a Lama in Britain in 2001.

Lama Zangmo said yesterday: “Nessie is a naga. We build the relationship with the naga, try to please them and don’t abuse the environment.

“If Nessie is treated well, she will bring prosperity.”

Tributes have already been made at the Samye Ling monastery in Dumfries-shire, a cone-shaped shelter has been made at the nearby River Esk where sacrifices have been left to the spirit.

Dr William Tuladhar-Douglas, Buddhism lecturer from the university of Aberdeen, said: “There’s about 2,500 years’ worth of history behind a gesture like that.”

Lama Zangmo added that Loch Ness has a “special magic”, likening it to the Buddhist retreat on the Holy Isle off Arran on the west coast.

She said: “This is such a beautiful part of the country and it has a very special feel to it.

“The natural setting is wonderful, how pure the air is and the sense of spirit in the Highlands is most magnificent and inspiring.

“The scenery is striking, the light is beautiful and being close to Loch Ness has a special magic about it.”

She has recently returned from several months in India at Bodhgaya, the most revered holy site in the religion, and was given her Highland post last week.

As well as offering yoga and meditation classes, a 10-foot peace pole, blessed by the Dalai Lama, will be displayed there.

She added: “I think there will be huge benefits from the centre, and not just for Buddhists.

“What Inverness lends itself well to is a place of retreat.

“It is a wonderful place for someone to come and do retreat and immerse themselves in learning, mindfulness and how to become less stressed.”

Sunday 27th April 2014/The Scotsman

Lama Gelongmo Zangmo

cookie

• Email
Re: Loch Ness monster is “spiritual”
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 03:53:37 PM »
Loch Ness is a large, deep, freshwater loch(lake) in the Scottish Highlands extending for approximately 23 miles (37 km) southwest of Inverness.  Loch Ness is best known for alleged sightings of the cryptozoological Loch Ness Monster, also known affectionately as "Nessie". The Loch Ness Monster is a cryptid, a creature whose existence has been suggested but is not discovered or documented by the scientific community. It is reputedly a large unknown animal. The most common speculation among believers is that the creature represents a line of long-surviving plesiosaurs( large prehistoric marine repltile). Most of the sightings have been described as a "monster fish", "sea serpent", or "dragon".

"Nagas" are a class of beings (often snake-like in form) that dwell in a variety of locations ranging from waterways and underground locations and also in unseen realms. These beings have their own perceptions and vary in their enlightened level as do humans and other beings.
Nagas are susceptible to suffering created by mankind’s carelessness and basic ignorance of proper conduct in nature and disrespectful actions in relation to our environment. Therefore Nagas often retaliate towards humans when they behave in such ignorant manner.
Additionally, Nagas can bestow various types of wealth, assure fertility of crops and the environment as well as decline these blessings.

So does "Nessie" sound like a Naga ? Well this new Buddhist centre which is being built on the Lochness seems to think so. With much blessings the land and all sentient beings around the Naga will flourish.

Kim Hyun Jae

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 03:21:17 AM »
Here are some pictures of Loch Ness.

Here is an interesting article and posts on the Loch Ness monster or naga.

http://www.forosperu.net/showthread.php?t=461902

Jessie Fong

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 07:11:16 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2617602/Has-sonar-finally-Loch-Ness-Monster-Images-reveal-unusual-object-lurking-deep-beneath-Scottish-lake.html

A sonar image seems to have captured the elusive Nessie. It was recorded on board the flagship vessel of Jacobite  Cruises, based in Inverness, skippered by John Askew.

Nessie has been the subject of hoaxes and myths over the past 80+ years.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 07:54:48 AM »
In Buddhism, Nagas are serpents or snake-like creatures that reside in the wild forest, rivers, lakes and other water bodies. They are believed to affect the weather, diseases and illness. Buddhist believe that the Nagas need to prevent the negative effects from overpowering the good, therefore Naga pujas are performed to appease the Nagas.
I believe the setting up of a Buddhist centre in the Highlands near Nessie's lake will not anger her. It is said that nagas are offended when the natural environment surrounding them are destroyed and abused. Surely a Buddhist centre's activities would calm and pacify all creatures around.

Big Uncle

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 09:55:39 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised that Loch Ness is actually a naga manifestation in the lake. It's interesting because nagas are normally not very people-friendly as the one in Loch Ness. I say the one in Loch Ness to be people friendly because it has often appeared before people.

There are many stories of old telling how nagas a repelled by the smell of humans and when they came to received teachings from the Buddha, they had to anoint themselves with Sandalwood to make it bearable for them to appear amongst humans and appear in human form. Nagarjuna was said to have mastered the elements and was able to communicate with the nagas and he actually travelled to their world and brought back the Prajnaparamita Sutra that was kept in their world along with other precious items.

Freyr Aesiragnorak

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 01:06:34 PM »
Living in England, i've actually visited Loch Ness during a short holiday, while traveling through Scotland. I must say the area is one of outstanding beauty, during the spring time. In winter it's a little too cold. There is also a museum of sorts near the Loch that narrates the various sightings of the the Loch Ness monster of "Nessie" as affectionately known. I'm sure that Nessie is a Naga for sure.

It will be very beneficial for the area to have a Buddhist Centre, and especially one that will perform Naga pujas. I've been told that Nessie isn't the only Naga in the area either, so it will be good for all of those in the area. Actually due to the tourism there due to Nessie herself, when i visited a couple of years ago, the area was relatively well taken care of. I sincerely hope that this centre will become a focal point in the area, thereby bringing more people the hope and path out of suffering that Buddhism provides.

Klein

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 08:25:33 PM »
Whether Nessie is a naga or even exists I think is not that important. It is great news that a Buddhist centre is being built next to the lake. Having a centre in that area benefits the people residing there and also visitors to the famous Loch Ness. Animals and, if Nessie does exist, will receive blessings upon sight of the Buddha statue and also from listening to the pujas.

When retreats are done in the centre, the area and environment are also blessed by the retreatants. It is extremely meritorious to have Buddhist centres or temples. I rejoice in their project.

For more info on this centre, log on to http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2218550/Buddhist-monk-close-Dalai-Lama-hopes-Loch-Ness-Monster.html] [url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2218550/Buddhist-monk-close-Dalai-Lama-hopes-Loch-Ness-Monster.html[/url]

fruven

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 02:08:25 PM »
I think this is a good news article which acknowledges that living in harmony with nature and other sentient beings is better for everyone. Not much is known about naga species because they are not visible to us. Naga is said to have power over elements such as weather control. One can imagine if they become hostile due to our excessive exploitation of the their natural habitat. Therefore making peace and treating them as a neighbour is the way to establish a good relationship. No one want inconsiderate neighbours.

eyesoftara

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 04:39:06 AM »
The Loch Ness monster has been a myth that had prevailed for centuries I believe and new sightings have happened even to these days even though are no concrete proof. This adds to the mystery and romance of the Loch Ness lake and the area. In Buddhism, the Naga is a powerful being of the animal realm. It is powerful and can bring devastating consequences or prosperity to the area.

The Japanese Tsunami was said to be caused by Nagas displeased by the fishing industry of Japan and in Hong Kong, it is said that the Chinese Special Administrative Region is protected  by nine Nagas. Kowloon, actually means "Nine Dragons" in Cantonese. Even building between the hills of Hong Kong and the sea have "holes" in the middle to allow the Nagas to fly through.