Author Topic: Preservation of Tibetan Culture and Literature  (Read 5195 times)

icy

Preservation of Tibetan Culture and Literature
« on: February 16, 2014, 09:47:19 AM »

After Winding Odyssey, Tibetan Texts Find Home in China

CHENGDU, China — Decades ago, the thousands of Tibetan-language books now ensconced in a lavishly decorated library in southwest China might have ended up in a raging bonfire. During the tumultuous decade of the Cultural Revolution, which ended in 1976, Red Guard zealots destroyed anything deemed “feudal.” But an American scholar, galvanized in part by those rampages, embarked on a mission to collect and preserve the remnants of Tibetan culture.

The resulting trove of 12,000 works, many gathered from Tibetan refugees, recently ended a decades-long odyssey that brought them to a new library on the campus of the Southwest University for Nationalities here in Chengdu.

Despite Beijing’s tight control of Tibetan scholarship, the collection’s donor, E. Gene Smith, insisted that the books be shipped here from their temporary home in New York, because as he told friends, “they came from Asia, and Asia is where they belong.” Just to be safe, he created a backup digital copy of every text.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/16/world/asia/after-winding-odyssey-tibetan-texts-find-home-in-china.html?&_r=0

Freyr Aesiragnorak

Re: Preservation of Tibetan Culture and Literature
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 02:35:07 PM »
Thanks Icy, I had read about some of E. Gene Smiths endeavors some years back and was impressed just how devoted he was to his work of preserving the Tibetan literary heritage. It's good to know that his work has come to fruition and so many volumes have been saved and collected together.

RedLantern

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 06:06:06 PM »
E.Gene Smith dedicated more than four decades of his life to the preservation and public availability of essential Tibetan texts. He took an early retirement from U.S Library of Congress and formed the Tibetan Buddhist Resources Center( TBRC ) and continues to develop digital technologies that preserve and distribute Tibetan Text around the world.
To date ,the Center has dignitized more than 7 million pages Tibetan text and has built a digital library .
Due to his great work he received a lifetime achievement award for his outstanding contributions.
Thanks for sharing,Icy.

cookie

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 09:26:09 AM »
Wow !! It makes me feel that I want to visit this library . It must be filled with so much history and sacred texts. But sadly, I cannot read tibetan . I really hope that politics will not destroy these valuable works. It must have been so difficult to document works of literature given the technology of those times.  Writers and scholars must have worked many times harder to document a piece of teaching or any literary work. On top of that during the cultural revolution scholars and monks sacrificed tremendously trying to preserve these works. Imagine them running for their lives and carrying a whole load of books and statues etc; crossing mountains and rivers etc by foot in trying weather conditions !
Dorje Shugden monks did exactly  that. They scrambled and risked their lives to save and protect the precious and valuable works of DS in order for the practice to continue to be of benefit to many ! They are the true heroes of the DS practice ! My most humble and sincere gratitude to all of them !

kris

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 09:03:55 PM »
it is important to preserve the old Tibetan text/scriptures. Not only they have the historical value, they are very important for preserving Buddhism. Tibetan Buddhism has the most preserved teachings thus far and it is important the texts are kept well, otherwise, it will be like India where most of the teachings are lost...

Also, it is important to keep the original texts because teachings are lost during translations.. I wish I have will have the chance to learn Tibetan language so that I can study Buddhism text from the very source...

Midakpa

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 08:25:50 AM »
When one is a refugee, fleeing from one's country, and cannot carry much due to the long and dangerous journey on foot or on horseback, what would you carry? The Tibetans chose to carry their scriptures. Scriptural texts represent the Buddha's speech. If we lose them, we lose the Dharma. Statues, stupas and other holy items can be made again, but not the books. Hence, it is crucial to preserve these holy texts for it is the same as preserving the Buddha's teachings for future generations. During the cultural revolution, many sacred texts have been destroyed but fortunately there were people like E. Gene Smith who took the trouble to collect them from refugees and protected them until the time was right to put them in a university, which, in my opinion, is the best place because many scholars and students will have the opportunity to study them. China has a different policy now to protect and preserve Tibetan culture and literature. The situation in China is better than before. Keeping the scriptures there is the right thing to do.

bambi

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 03:54:04 PM »
Around that time, as he began work on a doctorate at the university, he started studying Tibetan with a visiting lama, Deshung Rinpoche, and was entranced. Further study was hindered, however, by the lack of available texts.

“We had no Tibetan books,” Mr. Smith told The New York Times in 2002. “Deshung said: ‘Go and find them. Find the important books and get them published.’ ”

After advanced study in Sanskrit and Pali at Leiden University in the Netherlands, Mr. Smith went to India in 1965, spending several years studying with exiled Tibetan lamas.

Mr. Smith acquired as many Tibetan books as he could for the library, seeking out Tibetan refugees in India, Nepal and Bhutan and earning their trust. Most of the books he collected were either hand-lettered manuscripts or had been printed in the traditional manner, using carved wood blocks. (Tibet had no printing presses.) Often, a book he obtained was the only known copy in the world.

In India, Mr. Smith began printing new copies of thousands of Tibetan books. As Mr. Smith noted, nothing in the law expressly forbade using the money to republish great works of literature. And so, book by book, he brought much of the Tibetan canon to light. His publishing project, which lasted two and a half decades, furnished books to libraries and Tibetan speakers around the globe, greatly augmenting the store upon which scholars could draw.

“Without his vision, many of us in the field would not be doing what we’re doing,” Leonard van der Kuijp, a professor of Tibetan and Himalayan studies at Harvard, said last week.

Interviewers often asked Mr. Smith what propelled his quest. His answer was simple, and Buddhist to the core:

“Karma, I guess.”