Author Topic: 10 Controversial Works Of Art That Were Removed or Destroyed  (Read 7898 times)

Namdrol

• Email
10 Controversial Works Of Art That Were Removed or Destroyed
« on: April 22, 2014, 07:10:37 PM »
Not sure if someone has posted this before, but it is interesting that Dorje Shugden even made it to this kid of sensational website: http://www.oddee.com/item_98936.aspx

Quote: Art is subjective. Sometimes a work of art is so different it can cause an extreme reaction.

Statues can be erected in tribute to an important person while simultaneously serving as a piece of art to the community, but oh how the mighty sometimes fall! Who can forget the statue of former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein in Firdos Square in Baghdad being symbolically toppled over, marking the end of the oppressive dictator's reign?

Here are ten examples of artwork that were moved and/or destroyed due to controversy:

[8]

Tashi Tsering, a Buddhist and follower of the Dalai Lama, was inspired to destroy a statue of the deity Shugden after His Holiness publicly criticized Shugden worship as “divisive and sectarian.”

Tsering joined together with at least eight monks in destroying the statue. The monks were detained and released a few years later, but the 28-year old Tibetan stabbed himself to death to avoid arrest by Chinese authorities.

The Dalai Lama fled into exile in India and became a symbol for the Tibetan struggle for freedom. He travels the world lecturing and has occasionally been met by Shugden supporters protesting outside of buildings where he speaks.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Re: 10 Controversial Works Of Art That Were Removed or Destroyed
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 03:28:19 AM »
i had not seen this before and it is interesting that Dorje Shugden would make it to this very sensationalist listing! I do think that the toppling of statues/ destruction of art works which are associated with controversial subject matter is rather OTT. Once we start to destroy images which we think represent a faith we do not believe in, where does it stop? After all, to the Christians (and other abrahamic religions), all Buddhist statues are seen as idols and demonic. Should, for example, the Christians begin to destroy Buddhist statues, there would be an uproar. However, here are Buddhists destroying Buddhist statues - and perhaps that is what makes it more palatable to the general public. The DS ban and controversy is seen as something internal to Buddhists and not another religion criticising or condemning another religion, ergo the world turns away and pretends it does not see.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Q

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 03:49:16 AM »
Wow! Its really great that the news about DS ended up in the top 10 list of controversies, this will bring a lot of attention to our plight for religious freedom as more people are aware about it.

Unfortunately, the writer does not have sufficient information or knowledge about the situation, if he did he would have probably wrote more about how the DS statues and thangkas were destroyed, removed from the prayer hall, and people returning their ds statues to the monastery etc.

dsiluvu

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 06:49:30 AM »
Hahaha... EXCELLENT! I am kinda glad to see this, sensationalised or not but sure get Dorje Shugden out there even more!

YES I agree with you Q, if only the kid/writer knows more about Dorje Shugden and would probably publish more. Perhaps we could write in to them to tell them the whole full story!

But I am quite pleasantly surprised by just seeing Dorje Shugden appearing goes to show that Dorje Shugden is getting more and more well known in the media. It is being looked in to, watched, and probably investigated further by many. I do hope more will be uncovered and well, we will get to really see how people would then react when they hear the truth.

The problem in every religion... is that you have fanatical extremist who would hurt, harm and even kill others just because you oppose their leader, not if the leader is saying is true or not, they just follow and will do whatever it takes to ensure their leader is not being opposed. Now that is what's scary and a very terrorist type of mind set which pro-Dalai Lama people have.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 10:00:39 PM »
Interesting that Tashi Tsering was INSPIRED to destroy the statue. What an odd thing to be INSPIRED about. You would assume that inspiration was constructive instead of destructive.

Whilst I have no problems with people destroying stuff - impermanence and all that - but the fact that he collects so much negative karma (when clearly, hes ignorant already) is disturbing.

So today, I guess the lesson is, even if your ignorant, you can still be inspired. I learn something new everyday!

[major sarcasm was intended by the way]

Freyr Aesiragnorak

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 10:12:01 AM »
I agree with Q, some more information would have been nice to actually know more about the situation. DharmaDefenders' comment about the choice of wording is very apt. Inspiration is not something destructive, but perhaps the author was recounting how Tashi Tsering must have felt about the situation?

I'm glad that Dorje Shugden has the attention in the media, but the situation is very sad. First the destruction of the statue, the negative karma caused would have been unimaginable and yet he took his own life as well. Very unfortunate. Even though what he did sickens me, I will pray for him, as we should always keep our Buddhist principles alive and well, despite the actions and behavior of others.

vajrastorm

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 09:36:29 AM »
What Tashi Tsering did is very sad. It did not help alleviate whatever suffering or delusions that he had. Instead, he stabbed himself to death to avoid arrest. Tashi Tsering is not the only one who destroyed a statue or image of Shugden, although he 'earned a place' as having 'destroyed one of the 10 Controversial Works of Art in the World'!

Tashi Tsering is not the only one - he joins the ranks of many, including nuns, who have destroyed statues or images of Shugden, following HH Dalai Lama's ban on Shugden worship.

However, here's a lovely video to show us that Shugden cannot be vanquished, take a look at this lovely video of the beautiful thangkas of Shugden that still remain.

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/videos/dorje-shugden-statues-3/

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 05:18:31 AM »
Interesting that Tashi Tsering was INSPIRED to destroy the statue. What an odd thing to be INSPIRED about. You would assume that inspiration was constructive instead of destructive.

Whilst I have no problems with people destroying stuff - impermanence and all that - but the fact that he collects so much negative karma (when clearly, hes ignorant already) is disturbing.

So today, I guess the lesson is, even if your ignorant, you can still be inspired. I learn something new everyday!

[major sarcasm was intended by the way]

Most worldly inspiration are negative by the way. It is an advance version of grasping and serve to benefit the self ego in the name of others. One can be inspired to build a rocket to explore the cosmos or to drop a bomb; one can be inspired to draw a picture (which is mostly neutral karmically; but you'll never know); one can be inspired to practice the Dharma to truly benefit others. At least the last inspiration is to benefit others and the first 2 is of a negative and neutral example.
My point? Inspiration is just a figure of speech. It is the motivation that counts. If Tashi Tsering is a Mahasiddha and by destroying the Shugden statue is to benefit others by the practice spreading then inspiration is virtuous. Otherwise, it is non virtuous and he will experience the karma. With HHDL and the ban, we will never know, which act is or who is virtuous or non-virtuous. We just work to remove the ban and do the practice well and spread it far and wide.

Manisha Kudo

• Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 11:28:05 PM »
To deface a holy statue is sacrilegious and in this case controversial. Like many on this forum, I am glad that Dorje Shugden made it in the list and there is mention about the protest. It shows that the Dalai Lama is not immune to scrutiny of the public eye and the press. With time and the mounting pressure, I am sure HHDL would succumb to a dialogue or at least some sort of a solution will be proffered. It is really a question of responsibility and accountability.

Nevertheless, the solution I hope to receive is the lifting of the ban.  ;) 

dondrup

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 06:15:21 AM »
Tashi Tsering has broken his Refuge Vows by killing himself, for forsaking Buddha Dorje Shugden  by destroying a statue of Dorje Shugden and allowing himself to be influenced by His Holiness Dalai Lama who had rejected the teaching on Buddha Dorje Shugden.

It baffles me how Tashi Tsering could be inspired to destroy a Buddha statue? Could Tashi Tsering be so ignorant? 

Aurore

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 04:07:46 PM »
Controversy, conspiracy, tragic, crime and the latest gossip are what makes it to the news headline. Imagine we only experience peace and happiness daily, the news network will have no news.  ::)

This controversy has even found its way onto the pages of Times and Newsweek, while numerous websites are dedicated to it such as this site.

Without this ban, the Dorje Shugden practice would not have grown even stronger than it was before. It is as strong today as ever, if not stronger. With the Dalai Lama discouraging it in India, the Chinese are fully promoting it in Tibet because I believe it makes they are more than happy to go against HHDL.

This is the effects of the ban and it's not surprising Dorje Shugden will continue to grace many headlines.