Author Topic: An Interview with a DS Artist: His view on DS ban  (Read 14729 times)

sandra

• Email
Re: An Interview with a DS Artist: His view on DS ban
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 11:13:03 PM »
This is special and unique paintings and murals. I believe with this kind of paintings and murals can create curiosity to public come to know more about Dorje Shudgen. Not many people know about the ban against Dorje Shudgen has been created a lot of sufferings to the practitioners. The ban bring no benefits to anybody but harms and against the concept of harmonious, humanity, peace, equanimity. I hope more people get to know about Dorje Shudgen and could voice it out the harms of the ban towards the practitioners.

dsiluvu

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 05:06:14 PM »
What a bold piece of art. I love it. It is true that the ban does not affect the Westerners much although they have heard about it. However once the matter involves politics, many people would shy away because it is an uneasy issue to handle and to be honest, most feel that politics are the games played by unscrupulous parties, no one is really "clean". Therefore, re-focusing Dorje Shugden to the field of arts and creative expressions may attract more people to ease into this beneficial practice and actually support the lifting of the ban.  ;)

Very well said Manisha... it is true that the Dorje Shugden ban is political, and no one really likes getting involve in politics especially if it is not directly happening to them or to their neighbourhood. And sometimes knowing too much politics can also have a negative side effect, it can also bring those who are lazy to investigate further to think forget about "Buddhism" altogether.

This is a very clever and smart way of spreading of Lord Protector Dorje Shugden practice to those who are not keen on politics but is rather interested with the benefits! Indeed it is a creative approach in making Dorje Shugden global, and it is far more peaceful and less intimidating for most people.

On the other hand it also tells me that many of the westerners are quite basic in their Buddhist practice and probably are not exposed enough about the ban. If they love their Guru, has that much Guru devotion like nerver2501, they would definitely FIGHT and VOICE out if they knew their GURU's life is literally at stake because of the ban and well it can in fact bring down their centre, their hard work, their people's effort in spreading the Dharma too which is what's been happening to so many centres all around the world that's being affected by this ridiculous ban and one centre is the New Kadampa Tradition (NKT). They are also affected with many hate websites and blogs written about them. Not to mentioned their Guru as well as Gangchen Rinpoche is on the top list of wanted and posted like enemies of HHDL which we all know is NOT TRUE. Their lives are in danger, including the current Trijang Rinpoches life and they are forced to have armed body guards around them all the time because they've received so many death treats.

When we start educating the west in this way and to point out the fact that they are also in fact very much involved because the ban threatens their very own spiritual practice and growth, then I am sure they can see why in does involves them, as it will shape their future as well. Hence we must skilfully always explain with logic because with logic, CTA's twisted campaigns and actions can be clearly and easily sniffed out!

We must work smart in bringing this injustice news to the western people's attention and social media like twitter and facebook seems to be a good tool to use.

dondrup

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 06:57:11 AM »
Never2501 said he doesn't practise much. This is not true! It may not be apparent to him, but his trust and reliance on his guru Lama Gangchen is already a complete and profound practice! His depiction of holy Buddha images in the form of Dorje Shugden murals skilfully plants seeds of enlightenment in the mindstream of any sentient being that sees these murals. That's the best form of giving Never2501 had given to others, the gift of Dharma.

His lack of awareness of the controversy and ban on Dorje Shugden can be overcome easily. Bear in mind he is a devoted student of Lama Ganchen, one of the greatest Tibetan lamas of this age. Furthermore, he was inspired by Dorje Shugden to draw these murals!

Thank You Never2501 for manifesting such awesome and breathtaking Dorje Shugden images!

Galen

• Email
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 09:48:41 AM »
I think on a religion perspective many westerners like myself doesn't really care much about the ban. For example, in Australia I have my religious freedom and hence I'm not bothered with the ban. To me it's about what I feel comfortable practicing.

It is not so much the actual ban I think that will catch the westerners attention as oppose to the humanity aspect caused by the ban. The violence and animosity against the DS practitioners, now that can create a lot of support and awareness of this issue in the international community. I think the international community in general supports religious freedom globally.

Yes it is true that we Aussies have the liberty to practice our religion freely. We are not affected by the ban but the Tibetan community is affected and have been suppressed for years. The Lamas who are practicing Dorje Shugden are also being sidelined. Imagine if there are no ban being imposed, the Dorje Shugden practice would have spread even faster and wider and benefit more people.  People have suffered from this ban and it opposed the Buddhism teaching of being compassionate and being kind, as promoted by the Dalai Lama throughout the world.

I must say that Never2501 has done a lot of justice to the world by painting this mural as it represents the freedom of religion and this mural will and have benefitted a lot of people by just viewing this DS image. Dharma seeds are being planted everyday!!! Thank you for your contribution and a step further in the liberation of the ban.

maricisun

• Email
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
It is great to know that the Italian artist has such strong guru devotion for his guru ~ Lama Gangchen. Even though he does not know much about DS but with his guru's blessings he painted Dorje Shugden which he likes so much.
Maybe more people can follow his modern muralism art all around the world to promote DS in a modern way to the newer generation.

kris

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 04:32:53 PM »
Thank you for sharing these wonderful street drawings! I totally love it, and more so, I love the short and simple interview! What he said is straight to the point: trust the Guru and follow the Guru, because He is the one who transmit the knowledge.

I hope the artist can do more of these special kind of arts to increase the awareness of the sufferings of Dorje Shugden practitioners (especially practitioners in Tibetan community), and I also hope more artists will do street arts like these!

Big Uncle

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 08:49:58 AM »
Wow! It's really neat to have Dorje Shugden depicted in this manner. It would be great if many more artists would come to depict Dorje Shugden in their own respective styles as long as it is respective of the subject matter. This would plant the seeds of Manjushri to so many people who would otherwise would have little to no contact with Manjushri. It would also spread the name of Dorje Shugden far and wide too. I love the fact that the audience of such art scene is basically worlds apart from those who practice Dorje Shugden and Buddhism. That means people would come in contact with the practice and controversy. Perhaps, someone would do something about the plight of the Dorje Shugden ban.

hope rainbow

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 02:19:12 PM »
"muralism", a new term for me I must admit, I understand it as an art that is between the graffiti culture and a more established sense of art ( I am assuming this from the "-ism" used here).
Thus, between a culture of non-conformism and anti-system and the culture of the establishment, of art galleries, and museums.
Now, I think this is interesting, because Dorje Shugden is an established Buddha, proven so, and yet he is made to venture in the realms of "non-conformism" and "anti-system" because of the ban enforced by the "system", while, eventually he will be recognized by all and will achieve the place he deserves, just as graffiti has made it into the world of recognized art forms, or "-ism's".

Rihanna

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 01:53:20 AM »
I love this painting of Dorje Shugden. It is modern and unconventional. To me it is not just a beautifully done piece of art but an expression of the freedom of religion. This artist has managed to depict an enlightened being in a style that is unique and totally out of the box which to me is synonymous to freedom of expression. He is bold and daring. And this is the right of every being: freedom to choose their religion and spiritual path.

pgdharma

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 05:11:05 AM »
Wow this painting is unique! This unique mural can create curiosity amongst the public to want to know more about Dorje Shugden and everyone who see this will be planted with the seed of Enlightenment. How powerful! Even though the artist does not have much knowledge in Buddhism yet he has such strong guru devotion with his Guru, Lama Gangchen and with his Guru's blessings he is able

Gabby Potter

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 08:35:22 PM »
I'm very glad and proud to know that there are actually Dorje Shugden practitioners out there who care about the ban and who are willing to do something about it. Most of us just sweet talk and there's no action, but this awesome guy here has proved his devotion and samaya through his actions. I rejoice! :)

grandmapele

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 03:35:02 AM »
Sounds like Tibetan Buddhism may one day change name if this trend continues and Tibetans themselves can no longer practice the pure form of Tibetan Buddhism from Guru Rinpoche and Je Tsongkhapa days. The pure form will be practiced outside Tibetan communities.

Is H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama clairvoyant or what? He has foreseen the degeneration of Tibetans, as can be seen on FB where the use of language was most foul, the loyalty was most blind and the mind most dull. To keep the purity of the religion it must be sent outside of Tibetans' reach and the Tibetans can degenerate quietly in exile, fighting amongst themselves with no land to call their own. Their political leaders have failed them, they must exit from the face of this earth, quietly. Adieu!