Author Topic: Dorje Shugden statue at Kopan Monastery  (Read 12993 times)

Tenzin K

Re: Dorje Shugden statue at Kopan Monastery
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 02:34:41 AM »
Wow, thanks for the update on Lama Osel.

Sad for FPMT!
The great reincarnated Tulku is back but they just don’t have merit to receive and worst still have no faith with the lineage.

However Lama Osel did mentioned that he is trying to find a different way for this future generation through music, movies and audio-visual techniques.  I think Lama Osel will find an unconventional way yet receptive by the people. This is how a mahasiddha work at this new era I guess.
Looking back at the Lord Shugden statue at Kopan Monastery shows the devotion of Lama Yeshe. The unbroken lineage of the protector practice from the great masters.

We have read or even know quite a lot of the great master that been continue practicing Lord Shugden even during ban and it just show what devotion and faith all about. The success of our spiritual path isn’t that to follow the teaching of our Guru faithfully as he is the one that bringing us to the path of enlightenment?

Just hope that Lama Osel will have more great news of his

VS

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 08:01:14 PM »
Thanks for the updates on Lama Osel.

Though Lama Osel is in lay clothes, i have a strong feeling that He is spreading dharma and benefiting sentient beings in the 'modern way',

Too bad that FPMT jumped on the anti shugden bandwagon and created causes for Lama Osel to 'stay away' from them. They could have benefited much more with the return of their Teacher. Sad that their members are not able to have the blessing of their Teacher and receive dharma teaching from Him. It's so rare that we can meet with a highly attained Teacher in this degenerate time.

Hope they'll wake up soon and do the 'right' thing.

biggyboy

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 09:12:40 AM »
I am sorry to say this that as long as the students of FPMT not bucking up and do what was advised to work harmoniously, to focus on good qualities and not finding faults on others and to do their projects well wholeheartedly, Lama Osel will still be disrobed and not be back to take the helm of FPMT to greater heights.  Why create all these in the first place and not trusting their Guru's advice and Dorje Shugden?  Again, wouldn't it be better that many students and people would have benefited much more and exponentially should they have not created such causes?

In addition, this has also created the causes for Lama Zopa's health worsen and has recently seeked for DS help!  Why go to DS when they themselves is against it let alone giving away Lama Yeshe's holy DS statue?

Well in anyways, Lama Osel may have his own reasons and skillful means to reach out to the people.  I do hope that FPMT student fully understand the results of their actions and repair their samaya and that the ban be lifted fast!

ratanasutra

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
It is so sad to know that the reincarnation of high lama, Lama Yeshe come back but he could not manifest as he suppose to be because of his students.

Don't FPMT people think and feel anything about this? Why have the institution if not for the lama to reincarnation back to continue the teaching again? or it just a name and fame? The high lama is back now and it is how the students should treat the teacher? I wonder, is it been said in the 50th stanzas of Guru devotion?

Even H.H.Dalai Lama said that only my guru, Gyabje Trijang Rinpoche can practice Dorje Shugden but other not allow. I hope FPMT realize what they had done wrong and do something about it before it way too too late.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 10:18:17 AM »
Thanks for the updates on Lama Osel.

Though Lama Osel is in lay clothes, i have a strong feeling that He is spreading dharma and benefiting sentient beings in the 'modern way',

Too bad that FPMT jumped on the anti shugden bandwagon and created causes for Lama Osel to 'stay away' from them. They could have benefited much more with the return of their Teacher. Sad that their members are not able to have the blessing of their Teacher and receive dharma teaching from Him. It's so rare that we can meet with a highly attained Teacher in this degenerate time.

Hope they'll wake up soon and do the 'right' thing.

As long as the FPMT people behave and act in a way where they only want to be the 'proper' Dharma center that is on the Dalai Lama's side, Lama Osel will not manifest as a Lama. He might do other things or act in other ways to spread the Dharma, but definitely not as a Lama until the FPMT people change their behavior. But I guess it's allright because the FPMT people themselves also couldnt care less whether or not Lama Osel manifests as a traditional lama..

dsiluvu

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 06:07:02 PM »
Ensapa I don't know if Osel Hita will be better as a Lama or as who he is now... a film maker reaching out to a lot more people who would otherwise not cross path with spirituality/Buddhist dharma. But as you have said yourself in another thread and as we can see, Lamas who incarnates back will always benefit others in one way or another.... I think how creative they are is their ways of manifesting what is probably required at this point of time. Perhaps Osel Hota choose this direction for a reason, it could be or it could not be because of the Dorje Shugden ban issue but what ever the case is... it looks like he will be getting himself involve more and more with fpmt. I am sure He will also teach even though in lay clother :)

From Osel to the FPMT Family
(Taken from http://www.fpmt.org/projects/fpmt/osel/osf-news/1092-from-osel-to-the-fpmt-family.html)

Osel with Lama Zopa Rinpoche. Photo by Ven. Roger Kunsang at Kachoe Dechen Ling, CA, September 2012.

November 2012

Dear Family,

First of all I would like to say hello to everybody working so hard every day for the benefit of sentient beings through the organization of FPMT. I understand that many of you have extra jobs in order to maintain your family and basic needs in life. Also many of you work as volunteers part time, apart from all the other work you have to cope with. It is very hard, and inspiring. I truly admire every one and each of you for all the effort, dedication and consistency that keeps the organization going.

Around a month ago, I attended an FPMT board meeting in California. This is the fourth Board meeting I have attended in the last three or four years. Each time of participation, I gain a deeper insight and understanding of the incredible scope of activity that FPMT is undertaking around the world every day.

In the last few days I have had the privilege to attend the highly professional and inspiring FDCW (Foundation for the Development of Compassion and Wisdom) meeting in Kuala Lumpur. FDCW’s mission is to help children, youth and adults of all cultures and traditions to develop their innate capacity to be kind and wise, and contribute to peace in the world.

As I learn more about FPMT from these perspectives, my respect, and profound appreciation for Lama Zopa Rinpoche and the whole community grows exponentially.

What has taken place since Lama Yeshe's passing in 1984 in my view is completely miraculous and inspiring.

I have nothing but the greatest admiration and gratitude for everyone that has taken part in this wonderful and positive development.

It will take me some time to really grasp everything that Rinpoche accomplishes with the tireless support of Venerable Roger who works to handle all the tasks 24/7/365 days a year every year supported by Venerable Holly, and the amazing International Office staff.

Most people cannot possibly realize the myriad activities IOF undertakes in support of Lama Zopa Rinpoche. IOF develops multi language education programs, practices, and prayers, translates sutras, trains translators, finds Geshes and western teachers, and develops policies and guidelines based on 40 years of experience. IOF helps Rinpoche guide international projects, like the Amdo Eye Hospital in Tibet, the building of statues and stupas. IOF manages Sera Je Food Fund, supports young tulkus, and the expenses of 650 monks for the annual Gelug Exams. IOF manages the Lama Tsongkhapa Teacher Fund assisting 110 main teachers, and providing allowances for Abbots and ex Abbots. IOF publishes Mandala magazine and newsletter updates on FPMT global activities.

The list goes on and on and the above is just a small taste of the way IOF closely follows Rinpoche and supports Rinpoche’s every wish as much as possible.

My admiration for, and thanks to them have no bounds.

Similarly I thank most deeply and sincerely all the directors, the board and committee members, the volunteers, and everyone who helps past, present, and future, in all the centers and projects - activities as diverse as teaching and organizing teachings, leading retreats, providing hospice care, preparing educational materials, archiving, providing
monastic education, secular universal education, publishing, translation, media and communications, and the solid governance, finance, and administration that such a global scale demands.

I have already been able to visit many centers and recently was able to participate in the European Regional FPMT meeting. My intention is to keep on doing so. I hope to spend as much time as possible with Lama Zopa Rinpoche and Venerable Roger, as well as deepening my traditional philosophical studies, and learning more about media communications and finance.

Whilst the positive aspect of what has been achieved in 30 years is overwhelming, there are some areas that I find concerning. I have mentioned before the importance of recognizing, appreciating, and showing respect and concern for everyone who has made today’s success possible. Again I would like to stress that in my view every center and project should clearly display the names of everyone who has carried the load in some way whether it be as a director, manager, cook, gardener, or some other position, a donor, or volunteer. These people are the real Foundation and truly the “F” in FPMT.

While our goal is to benefit as many living beings as possible, and while the scope of that is so vast, we must not allow that to blind us to our immediate responsibility of showing appreciation, kindness, and concern for each other and each other’s welfare within our own community. Unfortunately sometimes our rapid growth has caused a number of situations where we haven't measured up in this respect.

It is my intention to make sure that in the next phase of FPMTs growth we focus on looking after each other. Some of our teachers and students who pioneered the early days of our development are now in their 60s and 70s. While one of our priorities is education for the youth of our world today, as our organization matures, we also have to take care of those who have contributed so much and who are now reaching the stage where they require care and consideration.

For a long time I have also been concerned that so far the organization has relied almost exclusively on donations. The generosity that has been responsible for where we are today is mind blowing and beyond words. Without it FPMT would not be what it is today. However I feel strongly that for the long-term ever expanding development that must take place, we have to think strategically about also generating additional sources of income through business and other commercial activity. This can also provide jobs and employment opportunities so people can earn a living and still have time for practice and study.

I believe it is possible to develop a business model on a positive and moral basis that ensures that business to benefit all parties - owners, management, staff, customers, and the wider community.

I have been spending a lot of time thinking about how to do this and I am trying in my way to explore a number of possibilities along these lines. Like creating Eco lodges where there is available very healthy vegetarian food, Eco friendly and organic grown vegetables, yoga and non-religious courses and meditation, for people outside our community, as a window of introduction to Buddhism. It is essential to have a healthy body in order to fully practice dharma. So we would make that opportunity available, and in exchange have a solid income to support the centers. It is now becoming very fashionable today, to eat healthy organic foods, spend time in nature, and exploring inside oneself through yoga and meditation.

When we are involved day-to-day work with all the difficulties and challenges we face, it is hard to step back and see the big picture and take pride in what we have achieved together. Attending Board meetings and the European Regional meeting has given me the luxury of beginning to see what an incredible job Lama Zopa Rinpoche has done. This in turn is based on the perfect inspiration His Holiness the Dalai Lama provides everybody, which helps us to learn about the true nature in each and every one of us.

The lineage from which we draw our understanding and inspiration is unsurpassable. The real scope of Mahayana in the widest sense is so vast and really can bring such benefit that the potential is almost incomprehensible. That gives us an equally huge responsibility to execute this task to the absolute best of our ability.

Within our FPMT community there is a vast pool of talent and skills that is equal to this task. We have to find better ways to draw more on the expertise that is available, to focus it where it can do the greatest good.

We have to approach this task practically continuously, untiringly and yet from time to time we must pause to measure the way in which we act to ensure that we don't leave anyone behind.

I really look forward to meeting everyone as my travels allow, and I am really looking forward to the next Board meeting and another chance to learn and hopefully in a small way input into the plans for the next 30 years of our development.

Sorry if this became long - my main point is to thank everybody so much from the bottom of my heart.

Thank you so very much everyone!!

Take care, and keep up the good work!!

Big love

Osel

Big Uncle

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 03:51:27 PM »
Ensapa I don't know if Osel Hita will be better as a Lama or as who he is now... a film maker reaching out to a lot more people who would otherwise not cross path with spirituality/Buddhist dharma. But as you have said yourself in another thread and as we can see, Lamas who incarnates back will always benefit others in one way or another.... I think how creative they are is their ways of manifesting what is probably required at this point of time. Perhaps Osel Hota choose this direction for a reason, it could be or it could not be because of the Dorje Shugden ban issue but what ever the case is... it looks like he will be getting himself involve more and more with fpmt. I am sure He will also teach even though in lay clother :)

Of course being a Lama is infinitely more meritorious than a film maker! The Lama teaches the Dharma and that can potentially change our lives and future lives which a movie cannot do. However, through the medium of films, one can reach a much wider audience but the Dharma that can be conveyed by a Lama is vastly different. However, one can still be a Lama and be a filmmaker on the side.

I think the most famous lama- filmmaker is someone like Dzongar Khyente Rinpoche. So, I don't think Lama Osel needs to be defined by just being a film-maker or a Lama per se. I think he should return to his role as a Lama and use films as means to deliver the Dharma to others. In the past, the Great Lamas and masters use art and poetry to deliver the Dharma to others but today, a Lama could use the medium of films to deliver the Dharma. The Lama also does not need to restrict himself to the methods in which one can convey the Dharma.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 09:52:37 PM »
I can't help but compare the current Trijang Dorje Chang, who despite all difficulties and adversities chose to upkeep his relationship with Dorje Shugden, yes he has given back his monk vows and taken on a consort but his dharma activity is growing by the day.

Then we have the current incarnation of Lama Yeshe, who is supposed to helm the current FPMT and also increase the dharma activities and the organisation but due to incorrect advise perhaps. So Is Lama Osel doing what he was doing in his previous life which is become a great master and teacher of the dharma that is not very obvious in my observation.

There is a similarity between the current reincarnations of Trijang Rinpoche and Lama Yeshe who were both very devout towards Dorje Shugden in their previous lives. Both have taken the unorthodox approach of disrobing and leaving their respective monasteries citing different reasons. But when we look at what events that transpired during their absence, it is clear that they made the correct decision to remove themselves from the scene when they did.

Lama Osel absence from FPMT spared him from having to be part of the decision making process to denounce Dorje Shugden. And so when Lama Osel does return to teach the Dharma or even lead FPMT as recent developments indicate that he might (http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=2815.msg37590#msg37590 )he won't have the awkward task of having to recant his position. Lama Osel has never taken a stance on the Dorje Shugden issue and it would not surprise me if he has been keeping up with his practice.

Imagine if Osel had been an active part of FPMT when the Dalai Lama’s politics infiltrated FPMT, which then made the decision to stop the practice of its founding lama. Lama Osel would have had to choose between going against the Dalai Lama and Lama Zopa or turn against his own Protector which, when he takes it up again after the ban, would make him look like a lama with no deep convictions towards his beliefs.

FPMT tried several times to lure Lama Osel back to FPMT including suggesting the creation of a film making unit within FPMT to be headed by Lama Osel but perhaps he was guided by Dorje Shugden to stay away until now.

Lama Osel’s re-emergence onto to the scene also coincides with Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche’s return to the public eye. Is that merely a coincidence or perhaps something more?

As to what Osel will do, I am encouraged by the fact that he is undoubtedly the continuation of the mind stream of the erudite Lama Yeshe (Lama Yeshe was also highly unconventional and was given the nickname the “Hippie Lama” by his students) whose root guru was Trijang Rinpoche and enlightened minds such as these do not just disappear into oblivion, but remain to use their lives to serve sentient beings. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 09:57:27 PM by vajratruth »

dsiluvu

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 06:20:19 AM »
There is a similarity between the current reincarnations of Trijang Rinpoche and Lama Yeshe who were both very devout towards Dorje Shugden in their previous lives. Both have taken the unorthodox approach of disrobing and leaving their respective monasteries citing different reasons. But when we look at what events that transpired during their absence, it is clear that they made the correct decision to remove themselves from the scene when they did.

Lama Osel absence from FPMT spared him from having to be part of the decision making process to denounce Dorje Shugden. And so when Lama Osel does return to teach the Dharma or even lead FPMT as recent developments indicate that he might (http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=2815.msg37590#msg37590 )he won't have the awkward task of having to recant his position. Lama Osel has never taken a stance on the Dorje Shugden issue and it would not surprise me if he has been keeping up with his practice.

Imagine if Osel had been an active part of FPMT when the Dalai Lama’s politics infiltrated FPMT, which then made the decision to stop the practice of its founding lama. Lama Osel would have had to choose between going against the Dalai Lama and Lama Zopa or turn against his own Protector which, when he takes it up again after the ban, would make him look like a lama with no deep convictions towards his beliefs.

FPMT tried several times to lure Lama Osel back to FPMT including suggesting the creation of a film making unit within FPMT to be headed by Lama Osel but perhaps he was guided by Dorje Shugden to stay away until now.

Lama Osel’s re-emergence onto to the scene also coincides with Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche’s return to the public eye. Is that merely a coincidence or perhaps something more?

As to what Osel will do, I am encouraged by the fact that he is undoubtedly the continuation of the mind stream of the erudite Lama Yeshe (Lama Yeshe was also highly unconventional and was given the nickname the “Hippie Lama” by his students) whose root guru was Trijang Rinpoche and enlightened minds such as these do not just disappear into oblivion, but remain to use their lives to serve sentient beings.

Good observation. Definitely not a coincident that both great Lamas opt to disrobe just around or before the time when the campaign of Dorje Shugden Ban went in to full force. Their decision actually allowed them their FREEDOM to practice with no strings attached and no monastic rules to answer too. They are after all highly attained masters and would have seen it coming and it would not be surprised to me that they did what was deem necessary and beneficial for them and others in the long run.

And as we now see and feel the Ban weakening, we also see more activity happening with these two Lamas. I am sure whatever decisions they make and do, would be of the highest interest in what's best in benefiting others and continuing their roles in turning the wheel of Dharma in the most unimaginably creative way.

dsiluvu

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 06:32:38 AM »
Of course being a Lama is infinitely more meritorious than a film maker! The Lama teaches the Dharma and that can potentially change our lives and future lives which a movie cannot do. However, through the medium of films, one can reach a much wider audience but the Dharma that can be conveyed by a Lama is vastly different. However, one can still be a Lama and be a filmmaker on the side.

I think the most famous lama- filmmaker is someone like Dzongar Khyente Rinpoche. So, I don't think Lama Osel needs to be defined by just being a film-maker or a Lama per se. I think he should return to his role as a Lama and use films as means to deliver the Dharma to others. In the past, the Great Lamas and masters use art and poetry to deliver the Dharma to others but today, a Lama could use the medium of films to deliver the Dharma. The Lama also does not need to restrict himself to the methods in which one can convey the Dharma.

No doubt it would be an event of the century if Osel Hita and Trijang Rinpoche both decides it is time for them to take on the robes again and were able to return to be enthroned as who they are in their rightful glory, but let that not be for the satisfaction of what were preconceive concept of what's right or better for them.

Theoretically it would correct for them to be in robes. But then again we've also read hundreds of stories of Mahasiddhas including Birwapa's manifesting Dharma in the most craziest ways that actually breaks all concepts. Hence either way I am sure they would continue to still teach and turn the wheel of Dharma to benefit and reach out to as many as they could innovatively. Their potential is not limited by them being ordained or not is what I believe ;) 

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 04:21:04 AM »

No doubt it would be an event of the century if Osel Hita and Trijang Rinpoche both decides it is time for them to take on the robes again and were able to return to be enthroned as who they are in their rightful glory, but let that not be for the satisfaction of what were preconceive concept of what's right or better for them.

Theoretically it would correct for them to be in robes. But then again we've also read hundreds of stories of Mahasiddhas including Birwapa's manifesting Dharma in the most craziest ways that actually breaks all concepts. Hence either way I am sure they would continue to still teach and turn the wheel of Dharma to benefit and reach out to as many as they could innovatively. Their potential is not limited by them being ordained or not is what I believe ;)

To me,  both Trijang Rinpoche and Osel Hita may not be monks, but it does not affect their capacity to teach and to practice the Dharma even one bit. I dont find it relevant in some way whether or not they choose to teach Dharma in robes or without robes. Perhaps they would be able to reach out to more people if they taught without robes or that it would avoid certain things if it was done without robes. I would not want to make them fit into a certain mold or dictate how must they manifest because it seems that no matter what, they are still spreading the Dharma and they are still just as attained as their previous lives.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 12:16:54 PM »
As a matter of fact, Lama Osel and Trijang Rinpoche are already teaching and they are both incarnations of great Shugden Lamas.

Yes interestingly they have both disrobed around the same time.  It is part of the ''freedom'' they can garner to worship Dorje Shugden.  Imagine true monks giving up their robes for the sake of preserving Shugden practice.  How very compassionate.

Let all Shugdenpas not be faint hearted but to hold fast to their faith and win for the benefit of many many sentients to have freedom to worship the great Dorje Shugden.