Author Topic: Muslims hold alms giving for Buddhist monks  (Read 11240 times)

Ensapa

• Email
Muslims hold alms giving for Buddhist monks
« on: March 10, 2013, 02:00:18 PM »
Here's a very touching display of interfaith humility.

Attempt to improve inter-religious relations
By Correspondent
Published Sunday, March 10, 2013

Muslims in Colombo organised alms giving for Buddhist monks recently.

With a view to improve inter-religious relations, the Muslim community in Colombo organised a formal alms giving for Buddhist monks recently.

The ‘Gossip Lanka News’ reported that the alms giving was organised by the Maligawatte Islamic Institution in their premises and among the number of monks were leading prelates like Ven. Bellanwila Wimalaratana Thero, Ven. Prof. Kumburugamuwe Vajira Thero and Ven. Uduwe Dhammaloka Thero.

In addition to the alms-giving, an ‘ata pirikara’ (a traditional Buddhist religious gift) was offered.

Ministers Rauf Hakeem, Western Province Governor Alavi Mowlana and MP A. H. M. Azwer were among the Muslim politicians and VIPs present along with many Buddhist laymen.

Tenzin K

Re: Muslims hold alms giving for Buddhist monks
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 02:50:20 PM »
I love to see such news on inter-religious news. It really gives me a harmonious feeling between religious.
Regardless of what religious you are if compassion is part of your practice it can never go wrong and always bring harmonious.

I love this article so much. This is true spiritual practitioners. We always look at the similarity of our believe and practice then we will be able to achieve harmony and work together to achieve higher and bigger goals for benefiting others.

If we just look at the different we will always criticize and just to prove whose right and wrong. No way can we get along. If even our own physical body would have differences and we can accept it make good use of it, why not to the people who practices compassion for benefiting others.
Harmonious is the key for bigger achievement.

RedLantern

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 02:53:33 PM »
Realizing that we are all on this earth and our lives have an outstanding purpose which cannot and should not be swallowed by frivolous and contemptible differences.From there we envisage this simple truth- we are called to love without any regard to differences.
It is only natural that a self-realized person of any religion treats even animals and plants with great respect,
what to speak of fellow human beings.Humility towards other people (and all living beings) stems from continuity humbling ourselves and it is the foundation for all love and a good reminder.

Klein

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 04:05:12 PM »
Isn't this how we should live? Religion is to make us better people. How can religion make us more close minded and less compassionate? How can religion make us create more sufferings onto others, animals included?

If we think deeper, when we practise any religion, we should become better people. Better in a sense of more open minded, more giving, more caring, more loving, more patient, more accepting, more kind and more selfless.

Thank you Ensapa for sharing the pics to remind others the results of true spiritual practice.

Benny

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 04:58:19 PM »
This is totally heart warming ! Thank you Ensapa , for sharing this inspiring post , it is really like a beacon of hope for all of humanity. I really hope this act of religious harmony and unity spreads in all the ten directions for all religions to emulate. In this degenerate times we are in dire need to see the similarity between all humanity , rather than looking to find our differences. I rejoice ! Let us all start with our friends , i am sure kindness will only be reciprocated with kindness.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 01:49:24 AM »
It is not everyday than one would read of people of other religions giving alms to Buddhists as most of the time its only Buddhists that are doing this and yes I was very happily surprised that this is happening as in Sri Lanka there are tensions in the government where the muslims are pressing for their own halal standards to be established by the government and the insecure buddhist ministers seeing that as a threat to their religion and thus there are tensions, but for the muslims to give alms, it is a wonderful initiative for them indeed.

Rihanna

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 03:51:03 AM »
What a refreshing news. I admire Sri Lakan Muslims gesture of goodwill towards the Buddhist monks. In Islam, Zakat, or the giving of alms, is the third of the five pillars of Islam. The  literal meaning of the word Zakat is "to purify", "to develop" and "cause to grow".  Isn't this the main objective of spiritual path? It is so heart warming to see that in a country where there is still civil war between the Hindu and Muslim separatists, true practitioners of these religions coexist and show respect to each other. As Mahatma Gandhi said: An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 04:20:54 PM »
Thank you for the post, Ensapa.

How often do we see or hear of such gatherings between different faiths?  We always hear of "It's easier said than done", but here we see Muslims giving alms to Buddhists.  I hope and pray for more of such gatherings to develop understanding of other faiths.

samayakeeper

• Email
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 03:53:01 AM »
While it is beautiful to see such inter religious understanding, tolerance and harmony, when will the anti Shugden people be offering alms to Shugden sangha?

Here's a very touching display of interfaith humility.

Attempt to improve inter-religious relations
By Correspondent
Published Sunday, March 10, 2013

Muslims in Colombo organised alms giving for Buddhist monks recently.

With a view to improve inter-religious relations, the Muslim community in Colombo organised a formal alms giving for Buddhist monks recently.

The ‘Gossip Lanka News’ reported that the alms giving was organised by the Maligawatte Islamic Institution in their premises and among the number of monks were leading prelates like Ven. Bellanwila Wimalaratana Thero, Ven. Prof. Kumburugamuwe Vajira Thero and Ven. Uduwe Dhammaloka Thero.

In addition to the alms-giving, an ‘ata pirikara’ (a traditional Buddhist religious gift) was offered.

Ministers Rauf Hakeem, Western Province Governor Alavi Mowlana and MP A. H. M. Azwer were among the Muslim politicians and VIPs present along with many Buddhist laymen.

Big Uncle

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 08:24:22 AM »
Wow! I am very impressed with this. I have never seen such a beautiful sight of inter-religious harmony before. I have heard about Muslims respecting Hindus in India but I have never actually seen pictures of it. Now, I see Sinhalese Muslim clerics making offerings to the Sangha of Colombo. I am truly blessed and this is how things should be. This is how Buddhist and Muslims should act and I am not talking about making offerings. I am talking of real and genuine mutual respect between practitioners of both religions.

This will reduce friction and encourage understanding amongst people of different faiths. As a whole, humanity should evolve beyond religious differences, intolerance, clashes and wars. We have not overcome this yet as there is a lot of extremist activity in the middle east and other areas. There's much need for promotion of this sort of tolerance, acceptance and openness towards other faiths. India (and Sri Lanka) is amazing because the dynamics of the has bred a culture of openness, acceptance and tolerance of other faiths. Its amazing because I have not seen it anywhere else and I think that is something the world should learn from.

diablo1974

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 09:38:46 AM »
Are we able to see this in other SEA countries such as singapore n Malaysia?

bambi

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 04:20:15 AM »
I totally respect the practice! It is always heartwarming to see people of different faiths respecting each other. What more can be more beautiful than that?

While it is beautiful to see such inter religious understanding, tolerance and harmony, when will the anti Shugden people be offering alms to Shugden sangha?

Samayakeeper, isn't it sad to see that people of different faiths respecting each other and people who call themselves Buddhists are not? Blinded by the lies that is causing pain and ostracizing. And they are also of the same race. Instead this post should be a wake up call to those who have caused so much confusion in many among the Tibetan people.

brian

• Email
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 06:45:29 AM »
It is always good to know that efforts are being made around the world to promote inter religious harmony such as this one. Thank you for sharing Ensapa. This is very encouraging and it makes people feel very happy and inspired to do the same. This should be the way instead of fighting and war. The world is much more peaceful and better place to live in if everybody would just treat others well and pmote harmony as well as peace. This goes the same for human race too, if only all people in the world would not mistreat others. If only CTA would see this!

kris

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 09:55:07 AM »
Wow! These are really nice photos! Human race come in different color, shapes, etc, and of course different religions. We should always look for the similarity between different people instead of the differences. More so with human of different religious practices. We need to focus on the similarities such as being compassion, patient towards others, etc; instead of differences such as rituals, etc.

I hope this photo can inspire more practitioners of different religions to come together and promote peace and harmony, because I believe that is the basis of all religious.

Keep up the good work!! :)

Q

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 06:12:26 PM »
Wow! This is indeed a very precious moment and fortunately captured on camera.

Funny, seeing this pictures reminded me of Gangchen Rinpoche with the Pope lol!

It is wonderful to see two religions understanding each other in such a way. It shows us that the particular religion is very wise and the person behind it, perhaps the guide or their messiah is a very wise and compassionate person. I appreciate reading news like this, thank you for sharing it with all of us.

May interfaith harmony exist among us for a long time.