Author Topic: Je Tsongkhapa & Dorje Shugden  (Read 3756 times)

honeydakini

Je Tsongkhapa & Dorje Shugden
« on: March 06, 2012, 07:03:27 PM »
I was wondering if, since Dorje Shugden arises as a protector of Tsongkhapa teachings, would it therefore be required for practitioners to do Dorje Shugden prayers simultaneously while we are engaging in Tsongkhapa prayers and retreats?

My teacher has advised that when we do retreats, it is good to follow each session with prayers to Dorje Shugden, but I have heard that this is not always the case. And I have heard other centers doing tsongkhapa prayers, but complementing it with other Protector practices such as Setrab or Kalarupa or Pelden Lhamo. What would be the reasons for that, when it has been made so clear already that Dorje Shugden arose specifically for Tsongkhapa's teachings? How would the other Dharma Protectors figure for practitioners? i ask because a person new to Dharma recently asked me this - the relevance of other Dharma protectors, when it is already so widely taught that Dorje Shugden arose primarily to protect Tsongkhapa's lineage and practitioners. So are the other Dharma Protectors still "useful" or as "effective"? And how so?

Ensapa

• Email
Re: Je Tsongkhapa & Dorje Shugden
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 07:48:37 PM »
Dorje Shugden has the most affinity with us during this time, but it does not mean that the other protectors are not relevant. They can still help but they do not come as quick or as effective as Dorje Shugden. With regards to your statement about other centers using kalarupa or palden lhamo, it is because some centers need to be politically correct to survive. We can't blame them…but also their centers will not grow as well for betraying their lineage.

You see, even though Dorje Shugden is the most relevant and powerful Dharma protector of our time, other people that are around still have affinities towards other Dharma protectors that they have been practicing for many lifetimes and perhaps they are more inclined towards them compared to Dorje Shugden and it is based on that affinity that those Dharma protectors are still effective for them.

Lets say a person has a very strong karmic connection with Mahakala, probably because Mahakala has been his primary protector in his past life and in this life from a young age, that practitioner seeks to be close to Mahakala again. But Mahakala still helps and guides this practitioner and brings this practitioner to the nearest Lama that is accessible to this practitioner. In that way the "old" Dharma protectors are still relevant and effective…but only for life-changing situations like finding a Lama or avoiding the premature death of their (ex)practitioners.

In my own experience, the "older" protectors are pretty strict with what they will help you with: Dharma and only immediate Dharma related obstacles are cleared. Anything else will not be taken care of. But again, this is my own experience as I am personally close to a few "older" protectors as well and they have helped me meet my lama…after er…many years? There were a few very close brushes with my Lama before i met him but they were not meant to be…when i think back those were really what happened. When I found Dorje Shugden, my requests to him came really swift in comparison. Therefore it is not to say that the "older" protectors can't help..just slower.

Gabby Potter

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 01:01:43 PM »
I agree with what Ensapa has stated here, it's not that the other Dharma protectors are not relevant but Lord Dorje Shugden's time has come, people tend to have more affinity with Him. Lord Dorje Shugden comes from the same lineage as Lama Tsongkhapa and He is here to protect Lama Tsongkhapa's teachings and lineage, I do not have a single idea why people would call Him a devil or spirit, it's so indecent and disrespectful.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 01:48:27 AM »
I disagree with Ensapa. Though there is a very special connection between Dorje Shugden and Lama Tsongkhapa's tradition at this time, and so he is relied on as the principal Protector, the other Protectors are not slow to act nor is their help limited in scope as Ensapa indicates. This is made clear by the various invitations, praises, and requests made to them in the combined sadhana of Kangso used by the NKT, as well as the individual sadhanas of these other Protectors.

People have different connections with the various Protectors, especially if they've received initiations in which they not only establish a special connection but the Protector also promises the Lama to take special care of the disciple. These Protectors have also made very special promises in connection with specific practices. For example, Yakya Chamsing is especially connected to the Hayagriva Sangdrup sadhana; Kinkara Father and Mother have a special connection to the sadhanas of Heruka and Vajrayogini; Outer, Inner, and Secret Kalarupa with Vajrabhairava sadhana and so forth.

Furthermore, in the subtle inner world if the practitioner, these various Protectors will appear at different times during their training to help them in special ways due to the karma they have with these individuals and the inner obstacles and realizations particular to that individual at the time. It is not that Dorje Shugden cannot help with these things, it is simply not so black and white and just depends on karma. Because Dorje Shugden is Yamantaka, he is the King of Protectors, so even when we have a special experience with other Protectors, it is likely they have done so through the influence of Dorje Shugden, particularly if the practitioner relies principally in Dorje Shugden.

We are surrounded by the wrathful assembly at all times, but it is our sincere practice and striving to keep our vows and commitments that enables them to help us to a greater or lesser extent.

lotus1

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 10:43:20 AM »
Thank you psylotripitaka for your sharing. Yes, different people have different affinity or karma with different protectors. Therefore, in my humble opinion, we just follow the instruction from our guru and do the protector practice given by our Guru during our Tsongkhapa retreat. After all, our Guru is closest to us and would know what is best for us. We should just follow our Guru's teaching and practice it 100%. If we do not have a guru to guide us, then we can do Dorje Shugden prayer. Protector practice is to support us to remove our obstacles and have a smoother spiritual journey. The yidam practice is still the main and most important practice for us that we should focus on.