Author Topic: Should computer games be allowed in monastery?  (Read 25061 times)

Jessie Fong

Re: Should computer games be allowed in monastery?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2012, 10:00:07 AM »
Times have changed - the monastery should allow computer games as a form of recreation for the monks.  On their laundry days, they can use the computer to give them a feel of the world outside of monastery life.  Allowing computer games also allows the monks to be able to plan their time so that they are aware that they should not be "hooked" on the games.  It is a better alternative to let them play computer games in the monastery itself (in the computer room) than for them to seek this play-time outside of the monastery.  They would also learn to realise how addictive it could be and from their experience be able to share with other people.

ratanasutra

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2012, 06:08:15 PM »
Kids, toy and game are always together as kids are attract to toys and games. Of course thirty years ago there is no computer game so kids will play other game with more on to use skilful, exercise and play as a group..

Now a day, technology have influence many things in our life, we chat and email instead of sending letter like last time as it quick, fast and free.

Computer become one of necessary things in house apart from TV like last time. What we want to know ie news, temperature, weather, exchange rate etc we can search and find an answer from online network via computer and of course there are games in computer as well.

I think we should allow young monk to play computer games in the monastery as it still under control and as the same time they also learn up other thing from playing the games.

biggyboy

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2012, 06:00:59 AM »
With this current age of time and situations, I think computer games should be allowed in monastery for young and old monks.  They should not be secluded and disconnected from the 'outside' world.  This is only once a week.  Why not?  Let them to do what they need, want to do and entertain. 

On computer, they can be on social medias and to learn too.  Having this kind of facility will encourage them to understand more, to learn and help others.  In fact, computer has become a necessity nowadays.  What else with smart phones now!  We can't even leave it at home too!  We need to be connected...likewise for the monks too.

ilikeshugden

• Email
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2012, 11:43:46 PM »
I think that computer games in monasteries should be encouraged. However, violent video games should be discouraged too. Playing computers will be a good way for the young monks to be "released" from their monk duties temporarily. A recent study from the Education Development Center and the U.S. Congress-supported Ready To Learn Initiative found that a curriculum that involved digital media such as video games could improve early literacy skills when coupled with strong parental and teacher involvement. This information was processed through various websites that I found regarding the benefits of video games on an intellectual level. Personally, video games have had an impact on my life as I would learn things like team work from playing video games that have a team system, video games also give the player a sense of responsibility through collections of items or through quests to be completed.

Aurore

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2012, 06:46:39 AM »
I once watched a video with Kalu Rinpoche on it dancing and singing to some rap music. Some might disagree with a lama acting in their way, but he said something that stuck to me.

"Why can't we have fun? As long as we have fun and we are not hurting ourselves, or anyone, then what is wrong with it?

I agree with what Kalu Rinpoche says. What he is teaching the world is that it's ok to have fun and be ourselves as long as we are not harming others.

I think this is a good lesson to learn for anyone and especially parents. Kids whether in the monastery or outside the monastery will be exposed to video games, all sorts of tv channels, movies, friends who will be one of the main influence in their lives. It will be difficult to control one's children this way. What is important is to teach children the good values and morality. They can fun all they like if they are brought up well. Then even when mixing with friends who are bad influence, their minds will still remain stable.

Likewise for children in monastery, the dharma that they received daily will not affect them even if they were to play violent video games.

Tammy

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2012, 03:02:57 AM »
Kris,

Good topic! I should have found this earlier haha..

I think the availability of computers and internet is vital in any educational institutions, monasteries included. Why? Because in this days and age, people are connected via the cyberspace by using applications such as emails, sms, whatsapp, LINES, Viber and Facebook! Without these, we would not be in touch with the world.

Spreading Buddha's precious teaching via the internet is the most effective and efficient way.

Coming back to the issue of allowing understudies in monasteries to play computer games - well I think if it is well controlled to prevent them going into gambling games and over indulgence, it is a good way to learn how to use the computer and a form of relaxation. Just like in other schools.
Down with the BAN!!!