Author Topic: Should computer games be allowed in monastery?  (Read 25158 times)

Mana

Re: Should computer games be allowed in monastery?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 10:03:44 PM »
If monks are allowed to play soccer, which is very common, likewise they should be allowed to play computer games. What's the harm of computer games played moderately? Which computer genius in the world did not play computer games before? All did, everyone did.

And we are not talking about indulging in computer game, it is with control, so there will be more beneficial then harm. Some of the young monks playing computer games may later develop great websites/computer systems/programs which will help in spreading the Dharma, so definitely it should be encouraged.

bambi

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 12:45:30 PM »
To me they are still kids therefore it is okay for them to spend some time 'off'.  After all, its only once a week.  We can have off days so why cant they?
It's good for the to learn how to play and use the computer although it is for pleasure. Of course, their games have to be monitored as a lot of them are quite violent and not suitable for kids.

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 04:55:18 PM »
There is more good than harm if they play with supervision. It can develop into useful skills that can benefit the young monks, the monasteries, the Dharma and many others. The important thing is that the monks are still young and needs to relax. Remember Buddhism is the middle way . Have balance. I am sure even older monks chill out sometimes when not in retreats. So this is the same for the young monks.

sahara

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 05:26:08 PM »
Qoute from negra orquida :
"I think its fine to let monks play with computer games, as it is a good idea for them to have some connection with the secular world, know what is going on so they can relate to laypeople's lives to better communicate with them.  Also a good practice of non-attachment/non-addiction to computer games!"

For my point of view is fine if once a week. Especially for kids is fine because games will train their mind reaction become intelligent.But is only depends on what kind of computer games there play.... the young monks can learn from the  computer systems/programs and  knowledge of the internet than can help to spreading Dharma, definitely it should be encouraged. ;)

Lawrence L

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 03:21:27 AM »
Is ok for the little monks to have their own 'fun time'.
But the only thing that i concerned is, what are the games they played in monastery?
As most of the monks were lay people just like us, they might still have their own habituation and root of bad qualities. Games that promote violence is scared to trigger the 'bad-side' of them, as they are still kids.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 04:14:38 AM »
In training of young monks, I am certain that "no attachment" is one of the major subjects. With that being taught, I feel that young monks should be given the opportunity to try whatever is prevalent in the "outside" world but with strict rules and conditions that will not distract them.

Yet if the young monks cannot learn "no attachment" from early stages of their training, can they then perform well in teaching the Dharma.

Sounds like I have double standards for ordinary and monastic young people, but that is not true for I believe strongly in the institutions of monastic training and also the karma of the young monks who have chosen the path or given the chance to be on the path to excel.

I believe in the monasteries to teach their young monks well, otherwise we "outside" people are doomed.
After so many words, I believe young monks should be allowed to play computer games under supervision.

Manjushri

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 05:02:22 PM »
I don't see why computer games should not be allowed in the monastery. I guess with times, even monks have to "come out" and "see what the world is doing", so that in future when they come out to teach the lay people, they can relate and adapt to the constantly changing world.

It can also teach discipline to the monks, that when it comes to Dharma it is Dharma, and when they have their time off, they can do whatever they want. It is good for monks, young or old, to keep improving with skills and exposure, as they might not know when they would need to use it.

shugdentruth

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 05:50:22 PM »
I really like playing games. But I only play games related to sports. This way, I get addicted but I do not need to look forward to the ending of a story line. I just play game by game trying to beat the next opponent. In other words, playing 10 hours or 20 mins wouldn't make a difference because there is no continuity in the game. It would just mean I faced 1 opponent in 20 mins and 30 opponents in 10 hours. Sports related games are also fun when playing with others.
I normally play football games. I do not replace the game until the newer version is released. This only happens once a year. A year is also just nice for you to try out all the teams you like. So its also cost efficient.
If there are going to be games in the monastery, I would highly recommend sport related games. I think they are not harmful and cost efficient.

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 03:18:53 AM »
I don't see it is an issue here by allowing computer game in the monastery. We must all learn to adapt into this modern society be it thru the classic way of reading or the modern way of technology, such as computer games. There is various type of games available in the market and would suggest a non-violent and educational related games to be purchased.

I would also suggest that young monks should also learn up on how to operate the computer. It is very important to expose them to the world of technology and how to make use of it to benefit others. Computer classes should also explain the history of the internet and on how it is one of the greatest invention of the world.

sonamdhargey

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 04:26:19 AM »
Nagaseeker, I think I would agree with a few of the replies, that it depends on what kind of games they are playing.

So, how about the following games:
1. Star craft (strategy game which involves killing of enemy troops)
2. Need for speed (racing game, which involves winning other opponents)
3. World of Warcraft
4. IGI Project (action game to kill some other soldiers)
5. FarmVille

Nowadays, it is quite difficult to find an interesting game that does not promote violent :p

kris,

all the games you mentioned were related to 'killing' or how to win over opponents which will definitely affect youngster mind and become violent if play continuously except Farmville....but farmville is a game that waste your time and i don't see how it can train one's mind to become more alert,awareness , and also i don't you can get any knowledge from this game.

i do find star craft is a game that can train us on how to organize things in daily life because it really need you to plan strategy all the times but at the end the purpose of the games is to kill all your opponent......

what about sudoku ? simple yet can train you mind very well. what do you think ,kris ?

Nagaseeker,

I was a gamer too. I think how pc games effect an individual is very subjective. It really depends on an individual and most of the time when I encounter violent gamers they tend to have a broken family background and use the pc game to went out their frustration. Some pc gamers when challenge and defeated by an opponent will resort to physical violence to square off with each other, this is due their inability to accept defeat and be sporting. Pc games are like any other sports.

Yes I agree that most games now have the killing contents however it does makes us a killer nor violent but i believe that it can be a trigger point for violence for people who already have violent tendencies in them. Some pc games contents are pretty complex that require strategy which I believe can develop our mind to be more quick.

I don't see any wrong for young monks to play pc games but moderation is key as pc games can be addictive and disruptive to their practice of they spend all their time just playing pc games.

kurava

• Email
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 12:52:04 PM »
I think it is fine for young monks to play computer games provided it is done under proper supervision and within control.

Recognizing that computer game addiction has become a social problem, some Christian organizations have set up computer game clinic to get children that are addicted to computer games off their uncontrolable  habit.
Children are sent to these clinics where they are allowed to play computer for a fixed number of hours within each week under the watchful eyes of adults. Parents must cooperate by setting password on their home PCs.

Every thing must not be done in extremes - this is perfectly in accordance with Buddhist philosophy of The Middle view.

jeremyg

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 12:55:51 PM »
I once watched a video with Kalu Rinpoche on it dancing and singing to some rap music. Some might disagree with a lama acting in their way, but he said something that stuck to me.

"Why can't we have fun? As long as we have fun and we are not hurting ourselves, or anyone, then what is wrong with it?

Those were not his exact words, but it is a shortened form of what he said. And i really agree, what is wrong with letting monks play games in the monastery? There is nothing wrong with computer games, as long as they do no get addicted. It is a nice break from what they would normally do. Even when i went to the monastery the little monks were playing with a rolled piece of cloth as a football and having the times of their lives!

Aurore

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 02:57:31 PM »
I don't play computer games much as a kid. I only played frogger, pacman and digdug if I ever did. I don't think it's damaging to me as a kid. It's more of an entertainment like my other toys. If children and monk children can have toys, I don't see why they can't play computer games can't be considered a toy but with limited time and restricted types of games.

Recently a friend of mine commented on this ever so popular game such as DRAW SOMETHING. He said that he allows his kids to play this game because it actually teaches them more words, increases their knowledge and learning ability. Games like this can definitely help these young monks to improve their English language!

Tenzin K

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2012, 03:03:21 PM »
I think its ok for monks to play game in the monasteries. At this computer age a lot of time we need or is a must to use computer to carry out our work better. The most important think is the motivation and of course we can control and subject to the type of game allow.

Playing games is one the way to stimulate our mind and train it think faster. The monks need to be aware of the current advancement of the information technology not for merely for entertainment but is to use the technologies to improve their spiritual growth in a monastery.   

vajraD

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2012, 04:31:37 PM »
I agree to that monks should be allowed to have computer games as well as other entertainment if they choose to have one. Computers is one of the methood to socialize with the society. In these modern world to spread the dharma we cant just expect people to walk in to the temple to receive the dharma anymore like the pass. With computers monks can also learn up languages too. I have know of kids that is really weak in english and there were improvement of his english with games. Some computer games need us to convers in proper english and I think the parents must have taken time out to check the games before allowing the kid to play with it.

Everyone needs a break so does the monks.