Author Topic: Guru devotion  (Read 19320 times)

hope rainbow

Re: Guru devotion
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 05:06:28 PM »
While they take refuge to the guru, they will not give up forever until gain enlightenment.     

And this is key: realize that the 3rd Noble Truth is REAL! That enlightenment is possible and possible QUICKLY.
Then Dharma knowledge, experience analyzed with Dharma knowledge, a wish for a Guru and an extraordinary meritorious karma would bring along a Guru.
Then this opportunity is like a bullet train that only stops once on our platform, better take it quick before it leaves... for it might not come back and we'd have to walk the railroad by foot!

diamond girl

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 06:26:55 PM »
It appears to me, please correct me if I am wrong, that Guru Devotion is about what the Guru can do for "me". And if the Guru's qualities can benefit "me" he is the Guru.... Sound more like Student Devotion???

Check out the Guru? Who are we to have this right? Who am I to have the superiority to "check out the Guru"?

The Guru is Buddha in human form who comes to save us pathetic samsara addicts.

Guru Devotion is HOW we can serve the Guru, and if we are worthy gain the merits not to be reborn as a cockroach.

hope rainbow

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 01:21:25 PM »
It appears to me, please correct me if I am wrong, that Guru Devotion is about what the Guru can do for "me".
And if the Guru's qualities can benefit "me" he is the Guru....
Sound more like Student Devotion???

Guru devotion means the devotion a student has towards his/her Guru.
So a student would refer to his "Guru devotion" with the above meaning.

The Guru already has devotion, he has devotion to his Gurus, and he has devotion to benefiting all sentient beings and in particular his students. Why his students in particular? Not because they are more worthy than other sentient beings, but because they have the karma and merits to make faster progress with that Guru than other sentient beings. Thus the Guru focus on them in paticular and onto all sentient beings in general always and whatever.

Some sentient beings have so little merit that all the Guru can do for the meantime is to implant imprints in their minds to awaken something in future more conducive existences. It is very little merit, but it is merit already to be able just to receive imprint from a Buddha.

Check out the Guru? Who are we to have this right? Who am I to have the superiority to "check out the Guru"?

We must check our Guru, the lamrim states this. But we must do this before he/she becomes our Guru.
Once we have engaged in a Guru/disciple (Teacher/student) relationship, we do not keep on checking and checking. If we keep on doing that it means we were not certain when we engaged with our Guru in the first place and we should not have done so hastily.
Yet, after we have engaged in a Guru-disciple relationship, we can acknowlegde confirmative behavior and confirmative facts that our Guru is a valid object of refuge and we can use these facts to build-up the same mind set in seekers currenty in the process of "checking out" our Guru.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 06:48:41 PM »
Yet, what is the basis for our faith in our Guru?

What is the basis for it? What justifies it?

The basis of my faith in my Guru is the knowledge and acceptance that my Guru IS the manifestation of all Buddhas. On a practical level, we trust in the Buddha and his Teachings and yet we are nowhere close to fully understanding all that the Buddha taught and how to effectively apply it. Without a Guru it would take an extremely long time to be effective.

It is upon the Guru that we build all our good qualities. Without his teaching, advice, training, scolding, friendship and love we are building on quicksand.

What justifies my faith is the result I see in myself and the others who follow the Guru devotedly. In addition, the end results are also the high attainments that High Lamas and Lineage Gurus achieved as a result of practicing strong Guru Devotion.

RedLantern

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 04:17:18 PM »
    According to the Buddhist teachings,our spiritual journey,the teacher is essential for us to develop our inner qualities.We need to have a grand ,magnificient attitude.Devotion should be grand and if you have guru devotion,every thing can be taken as manifestation of your guru.
    This is a quote from Lama Zopa Rinpoche.
    "From guru devotion,we receive the blessings of the guru in our heart,and from those blessings,realisations of the path to enlightenment manifest from within our mind.Our devotion makes it possible for us to achieve enlightenment.This ,then enable us to do perfect work for the numberless other sentient beings.

bambi

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 03:50:28 AM »
The 1st time I read 50 Stanzas of Guru Devotion, I got scared. The part where they said die a horrible death, Avichi Hell, plagues and etc. It took time for me really understand the whole text as I was very new in Buddhism and trust me, it was totally different from what I thought I knew. 
It was well written, explained with examples and valid points about the causes for receiving tantric paths in the future if we can follow them and have complete faith. We are truly blessed for it is our Guru's love, devotion, kindness, compassion and care that will help our deluded mind and prepare us for much bigger and important matters.

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 03:58:39 AM »
If one self have selected a 'Guru' than we should not have any more doubt towards our Guru as he or she is our Buddha. This is very important, always check your Guru first. And if we claimed that He/She is our Guru than we should believed in Him/She with no doubt we should obey what they says. Be loyal, practice, listen, learn, follow, obey and respect as the Guru is guiding us to the path of enlightenment. Always remember our Guru is the Buddha so be loyal.

Everyone should always read the 50 Stanzas of Guru Devotion so that we able to remind ourselves frequently to have those quality to be able to serve our Guru. Trust and summit ourselves to the Guru completely as only them are be able to guide us away from the samsara.

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 03:11:51 PM »
From guru devotion comes correctly devoting to the virtuous friend with thought and action, and everything comes from that. The guru is White Tara for long life; the guru is Manjushri to achieve wisdom; the guru is the yidam, from which through prayers one achieves attainments; the guru is also the protector from whom you receive protection, who dispels interferers; the guru is also Dzambala, from whom with devotion, seeing him as the Buddha and correctly devoting oneself, then one gets all wealth, all prosperity, for one’s own conditions needed to help other sentient beings, to teach them; the guru is the controlling deity, like Hayagriva or Mahakala, eliminating obstacles, to control your mind, the delusions, and to achieve enlightenment, the subtle mind, and then to benefit other sentient beings.

The guru is everything. From guru devotion, you achieve everything—that’s the main cause, the main source. It’s like a big department store where you can get everything! So, the guru is everything.