Author Topic: Guru devotion  (Read 19327 times)

hope rainbow

Guru devotion
« on: August 11, 2011, 09:03:06 AM »
There is no safer place than my guru devotion.

My guru embodies the three jewels, and there is no higher refuge than the three jewels.

There is nothing more worthy I could do than practice the Dharma, revere the Sangha and become a Buddha.

I write this here so I can read it again when my mind obscured and confused falls into the trap of worldly thoughts and entertain doubts as an excuse to indulge in my attachments.
How annoying, tiring and frustrating it is not to be enlightened yet!
Samsara is such hard work for no other result than making me and others suffer.

Positive Change

Re: Guru devotion
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 12:34:54 PM »
There is no safer place than my guru devotion.

My guru embodies the three jewels, and there is no higher refuge than the three jewels.

There is nothing more worthy I could do than practice the Dharma, revere the Sangha and become a Buddha.

I write this here so I can read it again when my mind obscured and confused falls into the trap of worldly thoughts and entertain doubts as an excuse to indulge in my attachments.
How annoying, tiring and frustrating it is not to be enlightened yet!
Samsara is such hard work for no other result than making me and others suffer.

Hope Rainbow... I do like what you have written here very much...

It is not often that we reflect on the seemingly hopelessness in our samsaric existence and wanting to break the cycle strongly enough to actually make a dent in this lifetime. Most of the times we just barely scratch the surface. It is all important that we trust and have faith in our Guru as he/she only wants the best for you.

At times it may seem that the Guru is not apparent and doubt sets in... but I know that when this happens to me I try to think of a dark, steep and treacherous tunnel of existence I am in that is illuminated only by the compassionate guiding light of my Guru. At times I may even question why he is not in front of me guiding the way but I need only to look behind me, and see him right behind me, still shining the light over my shoulder so that I may see the way in front of me. In my Guru's infinite wisdom he knows it is best that I find my own way as opposed to following blindly a person in front and he knows if I should fall, he is there to catch me!

hope rainbow

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 02:40:17 AM »
Guru devotion is the total opposite of servitude, it means freedom.
The Guru makes one think for himself and take responsibility.
The Guru makes one grow up, it makes one think, it makes one free.
The Guru makes one compassionate and wise.
The Guru makes one enlightened.

Every place in samsara is deceptive.
In fact, every time we come across as samsaric experience that seems NOT to be deceptive, it is only because we have come across some beings acting out of Dharma, whether consciously or not. It is only because we have experience some level of compassion, love, wisdom or altruism that we find samsara somehow bearable, but then we are not clear in our mind, samsara is NOT bearable, it is Dharma that is the cause of happiness.
The Guru does not teach samsara with a bit of Dharma diluted in  it, The Guru teaches and practices Dharma totally.

kris

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 07:52:10 PM »
When I first get to know Guru Devotion, I am quite taken a back. I don't understand the reason for a guru.

After studying into Vajrayana more, I now know the reasons for a guru, and I'm glad to have a guru near me :)

KhedrubGyatso

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 04:32:06 AM »
I would like to add to  the first line of what hope rainbow beautifully wrote here.

Vajrayana is often described as the quick path to enlightenment . In the practice of Guru Devotion it also provides us the safest path. Safe in the sense that we get real practice which  yield  positive results. No matter how many books we read, or how many talks we attend,when it comes to practice,  there is no substitute for a Guru who knows us in and out and therefore can prescribe what we need and keep us on the path.

On our own, trying to apply teachings and advices which are centuries old and from different backgrounds entails a lot of trial and error. Without on the spot guidance, chances are  we will keep making and repeating mistakes until  making mistakes become a habit ! It is  only our big ego and wrong view which think that we ordinary people during this degenerate times can  figure out the profoundity of dharma and practice  by ourselves. Without a Guru guiding us, we are  like the blind without a walking stick  and bump into trouble all the time.

dorjedakini

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 09:22:32 AM »
Guru devotion is following our Lama and have faith and trust. Most important thing is being sincere. We always say we trust our Guru, but when given instruction and practice, we tend to be selective, accept advise which only convenient us, then we are not sincere at all.

It also means that if we are facing any problems and hardship while carrying out our Lama's instruction we should not give up. Having a Guru is to have full liberation and not to just rely on the Guru blindly. A Guru will create a situation for us to make us think deeper, sometimes can be peaceful, sometimes can be wrathful,  sometimes outwardly can be seen as unreasonable but it is a training for us and a test to our mind how strong we hold our ego.

Manjushri

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 10:02:15 PM »
In such a degenerate time like this, finding a guru is rare, being close to and being able to serve your guru is even rarer for we have accumulated so much negative karma that something good is always pushed away.

To me what is guru devotion is that you carry out all the orders and commands of your guru(s) flawlessly, you serve your guru wholeheartedly, without and doubt and support him in every way possible, tirelessly assisting him for he is here for only one reason - to spread the Dharma and benefit others. Therefore guru devotion, is assisting your guru in every way possible so that he is able to fully focus and continue to do what he is meant to do.

Your guru should have more respect from you than anyone else. You should 100% listen to your guru for he guides you in this life and all future lives until you attain liberation. He is a messenger of the Buddha, he presents Buddha's message and teachings to us, he guides us, so that we make the bests of yourselves and not waste the chance of us having gained the precious human life. Shouldnt he then receive the highest respect from you for he is your antidote to all your sufferings.

hope rainbow

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 07:35:20 AM »
Guru devotion is following our Lama and have faith and trust. Most important thing is being sincere. We always say we trust our Guru, but when given instruction and practice, we tend to be selective, accept advise which only convenient us, then we are not sincere at all.

There is indeed a difference between the understanding of why Guru devotion is essential to an efficient spiritual practice and the actual practice of Guru devotion itself.
One should watch how one's mind works so that the practice of Guru devotion remains firm, especially through what looks like "bad weather". An essential thing is never to loose the aim: the 3rd Noble Truth.

Tenzin K

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
What I understand from "Guru Devotion" is that it's how we treat our Guru.

Mindful is one of the key of how we treat or respect our Guru as a teacher.
We do not treat out Guru as an ordinary person so every single action towards our Guru has to be treated as a precious one.

Being loyal is important as if you believe or you experience the Guru's teaching that have benefited you then you should hold your faith strong with the Guru.

The Guru doesn't really need anything from the students but is us that we need to have him for our growth and eventually for others.

The kindness and compassion of a Guru is unmeasurable> you only can see & feel through their action.
What is a Guru want more from the student but just to transform our mind for benefiting others. 

pgdharma

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 08:35:40 AM »
"There is indeed a difference between the understanding of why Guru devotion is essential to an efficient spiritual practice and the actual practice of Guru devotion itself."

The actual practice of having the right attitude is an important criteria of Guru Devotion.  One must have the nine attitudes of devotion to the Guru:

1. That of a filial child. Like a filial child, one thoroughly carries out the instructions of the Guru without the slightest deviation.

2. That of a Vajra. Like a Vajra that cannot be split apart, even when facing division created by devils or bad associates, one will never split away from the Guru.

3. That of the Earth. Like the Earth carrying everything in the world, one shoulders all assignments ordered by the Guru.

4. That of the Iron Circle of mountains. Like everlasting mountains, while abiding under the patronage of the Guru one endures hardships and sufferings without ever swaying in one's determination.

5. That of a servant, even when one is obliged to carry out very difficult assignments one holds no grudges in one's heart.

6. That of a sweeper. Like a humble sweeper, one renounces self-pride and regards oneself as inferior to the Guru.

7. That of a rope. Like a continuous rope, one rejoices in carrying on the Dharma activities of the Guru, regardless of its degree of difficulty and heaviness of load.

8. That of a domestic dog. Like a loyal dog, even when the Guru ridicules, irritates or ignores one, one never responds with anger.

9. That of a boat. Like a ferry one goes back and forth on the Guru's assignments without any discontent.

May I take this practice of nine attitudes of devotion to my Guru to heart and may I always be under my Guru's guidance from life to life.

Dolce Vita

• Email
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 05:31:50 PM »
I was told if we want to achieve enlightenment, we have to have faith and complete trust in our guru. At mt level now, I think guru devotion is about the faith and complete trust.

Our guru's only objective is to guide us to enlightenment, free us from sufferings. He knows what is good for us and how to make us progress further in our spiritual practice. Sometimes he might want us to do something that does not make sense to us, that is because we are not at the level to understand yet, but by trusting our guru and following his instructions, when we have gained enough merits and knowledge, we will know why. By remembering our Guru will never harm us and want only the best for us, we will be able to generate strong guru devotion.

hope rainbow

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 01:21:47 PM »
Yet, what is the basis for our faith in our Guru?

What is the basis for it? What justifies it?

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 10:06:57 AM »

for me it's his kindness and compassion coupled by the skills and wisdom that he has to help me out of different situations. And most importantly he is stable and firm. That is the one thing i find lacking in samsara. Of course all of these can only be gotten through observation on how he treats his students and people that he meets, as well as his actions etc. We're supposed to check our Guru before taking him as our Guru. If he has the qualities as described in the texts, he is fit to be a spiritual guide that will never let go of us even when times go bad or when our minds become unstable for whatever reason but still endeavor to help us. That is a very important quality, i think.

triesa

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 10:48:12 AM »

[/quote

for me it's his kindness and compassion coupled by the skills and wisdom that he has to help me out of different situations. And most importantly he is stable and firm. That is the one thing i find lacking in samsara. Of course all of these can only be gotten through observation on how he treats his students and people that he meets, as well as his actions etc. We're supposed to check our Guru before taking him as our Guru. If he has the qualities as described in the texts, he is fit to be a spiritual guide that will never let go of us even when times go bad or when our minds become unstable for whatever reason but still endeavor to help us. That is a very important quality, i think.

Ensapa, what you said is very true. We are supposed to check our "Guru"out before we take refuge in him, obviousy the Guru we take refuge in pocess the qualitites we admire to achieve, on top of that, the Guru is stable and consistent in what he is doing.

Sometimes I can relate this Guru/Disciple"s relationship to a Mother/child"s relatonship. It is like a mother will never tell a child to do anything that is not beneficial to the child, so same applies to the Guru to the disciple. And many times, we may not like to listen to our mothers becasue we think we know better, so same applies here to the Guru/disciple's relationship, we disciples may not comply to what the Guru tells us to do for many reasons....like it is too difficult, or we have a better method, or we know what we are doing and we think we are in control of the situation...or we know better.....

The irony is that when the child comes across a problem and cant resolve it, the child will always go to his mother for help. So same applies here of the disciple to the Guru.

In view of this, we should at all times, develop full faith in the Guru we have taken refuge in, because, there is nothing the Guru wants from us , except for our eternal happiness and liberation, just like what the mother wants from her child.

happysun

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 04:28:44 PM »
To me guru devotion in this century can be very rare. If you practice guru devotion like the ancient monk, most of the people will think you are crazy and may be you brain wash by someone who got bad intention into you, another wrong view always people think is this person may disturb by spirit!!!! It is sad to know the fact how people seem guru devotion are, however this is a truth.

I knew guru devotion not much but got some basic knowledge because I always like to hang around with group of friend who is senior dharma practitioner.  They had gave me a lot idea how guru devotion work on into our spiritual growth. They always asked me go to read through 50 verses of guru devotion, yes this is a very good reference to understand the fundamental of guru devotion.  The Varjayana practitioner really work hard to practice guru devotion in their life. While they take refuge to the guru, they will not give up forever until gain enlightenment.