Author Topic: Disturbing & Encouraging News  (Read 23453 times)

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
Disturbing & Encouraging News
« on: March 05, 2011, 04:30:01 AM »
Denma Locho Rinpoche of Loseling

Gaden Jangtze Monastery Serkong Khamtsen Gaser Tulku Rinpoche requested H.E. Denma Locho Rinpoche (DLR) for a series of teachings to be given in Drepung Loseling's Prayer hall. DLR accepted as he is already 85 years old but in stunning health. DLR is one of the most senior and knowledgeable Gelug Lamas alive today. DLR is a very close disciple of the previous Kyabje Ling Rinpoche. DLR has mentioned he does not practice Dorje Shugden but has tremendous faith in him. He feels and expressed secretly if Dorje Shugden is not propitiated, it would be a great damage to the Gelug lineage as he is the primary protector now.

One day before the set teachings were to be given in Loseling, Drepung Gomang monks posted letters all over the Monastery stating people should not attend DLR's teachings as he is 'not clean'.

Many monks from Gaden Shartse, Gaden Jangtze and Drepung Loseling were attending the precious teachings by this living treasure DLR. But the letters posted created doubts and problems. After three days of teachings, Gaden Jangtze Administration ordered should any monks from their Monastery dare attend DLR's teachings, they will be expelled. Just after three days, the teachings stopped completely. It was  Gaser Tulku of Gaden Jangtze who requested for the teachings, but Gaden Jangtze Monastery disallowed Gaser Tulku and all Jangtze monks to attend! The irony is beyond description.

These days even giving and receiving dharma teachings becomes political and dangerous. It is a very sad state. The only place the Gelug teachings can be transmitted openly and without intereferences to large crowds would be at Shar Gaden Monastery and Serpom Monastery. We must support them if we wish future Gelug masters to arise within the Dorje Shugden pure lineage.

As you may know, DLR travelled to Taiwan a few years back at the request of Serkong Tritul Rinpoche and his disciple Jamseng Rinpoche to give a series of empowerments/commentaries. It was photographed and Tibetan Govt / Dalai Lama got wind of it. From then the troubles started as Serkong Tritul and Jamseng Rinpoche are strong practitioners of Dorje Shugden.

DLR was very close to the Dalai Lama until he travelled to Taiwan. It is reported that whenever Dalai Lama visits Drepung or Gaden, DLR is now sidelined and basically ignored. DLR does not deserve in any way to be treated in such a manner. DLR is a supreme Tulku incarnation, highly learned, a pure monk and very senior among the sangha and he should be treasured. You may also know that over a decade or more back, DLR was selected to be the Abbot of Namgyal Monastery. Namgyal Monastery is the personal Monastery of Dalai Lama and Dalai Lama was the one that selected DLR to be abbot. Upon successful completion of his term as Namgyal Monastery's abbot in Dharamsala. He was awared the title "Namdra Kensur" or Abbot Emeritus of Namgyal Monastery. With this title he has a throne set for him in Drepung Loseling's prayer hall equal to the other abbot emeritus' of their monastery, Gyume and Gyuto tantric colleges.

It should be noted DLR was browbeaten by the Dalai Lama to visit his region in Tibet (Denma) to ask the Monastery/locals to stop practicing Dorje Shugden. He visited on several occasions to Denma and many other parts of Tibet, but never mentioned one word against Dorje Shugden to the dismay of Dalai Lama. DLR in fact showed great respect toward the Shugden practice always just as he shows great respect towards the Dalai Lama. Nevertheless, Dalai Lama was very displeased with this old and sagely Lama for not following instructions by speaking of the ills of Shugden in Tibet.

It is very sad what is continuing to happen to DLR. Such a supreme being and so learned. Such a waste. I feel personally DLR should join Shar Gaden Monastery. That would be a powerful message to the Tibetan Govt in exile.
He could transmit so much teachings to the eager monks there.

Gyume Kensur Rinpoche of Jangtze

Recently Gyume Kensur Rinpoche (Gongpo Khamtsen Geshe Chatee) was expelled from Gaden Jangtze Monastery. Dalai Lama in a meeting with abbots in Gaden mentioned Gyume Kensur Rinpoche (GKR) doesn't come to see him anymore nor attend his teachings. With that pronouncement, the current Abbot of Jangtze Monastery wrote a letter to GKR in France expelling him. The current abbot (Hamdong Khamtsen Geshe Chopel) is a disciple of GKR also! The current abbot is said to be gentle and kind and would practice Dorje Shugden strongly. He is forced to take this action to expel his own guru. How politics forces us to commit actions against everything correct.

The current Gaden Jangtze abbot is so terrified of the Dalai Lama. He doesn't want his political clout as a abbot to be threatened it seems.  He will give up his guru samaya to expel his own teacher from the Monastery. It would have been better he resigned from his post as abbot than to expel his own teacher for political reasons. The abbot of all people should exemplify the dharma to his sangha of the his monastery. In the future his horrendous action will catch up with him. People will think deeper, that his motives are political and not dharmic in nature at all. Very sad news.

On a inspirational note, GKR would not take this lying down as the saying goes. He wrote and sent letters to Gaden, Sera and Drepung stating that he has already sworn 'against' Dorje Shugden's practice while he was in Gyume Monastery (as he was forced to), so he will not return to Gaden Jangtze to swear 'again'. He cannot honestly swear against this practice as Dorje Shugden is the practice of many elite masters both present and past. So swearing against Dorje Shugden is tantamount to swearing against them. He could not do that as swearing in front of the sangha should not be taken lightly he mentioned in his letter. He listed in his letter the names of many great masters who practiced Dorje Shugden. GKR seems to be in correct alliance with his teachers, has loyalty, understands the dharma profoundly and has the courage to practice under such political pressures. My heart goes out to GKR and may he live long and healthy in France.

Again I hope GKR will join Shar Gaden Monastery also. After all the previous Gaden Tripa Jetsun Lungrik Namgyal (now addressed as Trisur Rinpoche) has joined Gaden Jangtze Monastery).

Ven Choden Rinpoche of Sera Je

A senior Tulku  Ven Choden Rinpoche (Hlopa khamtsen) Sera Je Monastery has recently sent his brother ( a monk) to their home district (Chamdo) in Tibet to speak for Dorje Shugden and to promote the practice. Choden Rinpoche is 78 years old and has many discples in Sera Je. He is considered like the Denma Locho Rinpoche calibre in Loseling within Sera Je. Dalai Lama has scolded him recently for his promotion of Dorje Shugden in Chamdo. Many Sera Je monks has become the disciple of this Tulku and enjoyed countless dharmas from him. Now due to political pressures, this might change. When I get more information I will share here regarding this.

Ven Choden Rinpoche is a disciple of Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche and Trijang Rinpoche according to his biography.

( http://chantamantra.com/index.php/articles/57-the-inspiring-story-of-choden-rinpochehttp://www.anandadharma.org/rinpoche/rinpoche.php )

More and more senior Teachers are opposing quietly and some directly to the Dorje Shugden ban. Let's hope this trend continues.

TK

Below pictures:

1.H.E. Denma Locho Rinpoche offering long life to Dalai Lama years back during better times.
2. H. E. Denma Locho Rinpoche (Scholar's hat of Panchen Sonam Drakpa)
3. H.E. Denma Locho Rinpoche with Jamseng Rinpoche in Taiwan.
4. Sera Je Choden Rinpoche
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 06:15:16 AM by Admin »

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Re: Disturbing & Encouraging News
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 04:16:02 PM »
Thank you for the information on these three great lamas. Denma Locho Rinpoche's story is tragic - that he is such a great being yet he was sidelined just because of the link with Dorje Shugden. It shows that no one is spared with regard to the ban on this practice. Similarly Gyume Kensur Rinpoche. So sad that politics has dampened the potential of these great masters. On the other hand, I'm happy to hear that Choden Rinpoche supports the practice Dorje Shugden - implicitly if not explicitly. It wasn't clear in the other article about Chonden Rinpoche.

I fully agree with you that if these lamas were to move to Shar Gaden or Serpom Monasteries, it would be a great gesture. After all, the most highly esteemed Gaden Trisur has set an excellent example by his move to Shar Gaden. And he is in excellent company as HH Trijang Chocktrul Rinpoche is there too!
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

DSFriend

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 04:29:12 PM »
It's starting to sound like politics is above spirituality... indeed disturbing.

Well, it is amazing that Denma Locho Rinpoche at age 85 is turning the wheel of dharma. How many lay people are able to even take care of ourselves at that age. It never fails to amaze me how the minds of monks are so stable even though advanced in age.

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 07:30:10 PM »
It is very sad to hear that the politics continues to disturb the "peace" in the monastery, and this time, Dharma teaching/ learning has to be stopped for politics!

I agree that if Denma Locho Rinpoche joins Shar Gaden, it will send another powerful message to the TGIE, just like how it did with Gaden Trisur Rinpoche.

Currently there are only 4 throneholders (listed on the website) in Shar Gaden: Kyabje Trijang Chocktrul Rinpoche, Trisur Rinpoche Jetsun Lungrik Namgyal, Kyabje Domo Geshe Rinpoche, and Venerable Abbot Geshe Lharampa Lobsang Phende. This is definitely not enough and I hope more and more senior or high lamas would join in to let others know that Shugden practice is not wrong!

Roberto

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 09:21:24 PM »
Is it a matter of money or space that the many Lama's caught up in this propogated ban don't just join Shar Gaden.

Just how much Dharma would be lost if these great masters don't teach. Its like throwing gold away, literally. These Masters learnt from the best minds this century. How easy all that knowledge and teachings could be lost if we do nothing at all, or create causes for them to teach in this lifetime openly.

I praise this site for at least what is being done is keeping Dorje Shugden practice alive in times of adversity. Just what will these little monks learn growing up during these times? Learning the texts on guru devotion when those we're supposed to be devoted to, show how guru devotion has become selective.

May these Great Masters find a home soon, may the practitioners practice openly once again.

Big Uncle

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 03:52:18 PM »
Thank you tk!

The stories of these great Lamas are very moving and inspiring! I couldn't help but shed a few tears for these great Lamas. They suffered so much for their devotion to the Dalai Lama and Dorje Shugden and yet they do it with so much dignity and grace. Lamas like these deserved the highest honor instead of the nasty way they are treated now. I hope their students will plead with them to consider enrolling into Shar Gaden or Serpom Monasteries.

Their luminary presence would be great appreciated there and without all the persecution and politics. Just reading about their struggles makes my own personal struggles so insignificant. They inspire me thus to practice harder and hopefully be able to carry the burden of the Dharma and for Dorje Shugden's practice to endure long.... Just like what they are doing now. I too pray that they will live long and be well taken cared of so the Dharma will grow and the next generation of Lamas, scholars, yogis and practitioners - both lay and monastic will grow and increase!   

beggar

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 03:59:05 PM »
Is it a matter of money or space that the many Lama's caught up in this propogated ban don't just join Shar Gaden.

Just how much Dharma would be lost if these great masters don't teach. Its like throwing gold away, literally. These Masters learnt from the best minds this century. How easy all that knowledge and teachings could be lost if we do nothing at all, or create causes for them to teach in this lifetime openly.

I praise this site for at least what is being done is keeping Dorje Shugden practice alive in times of adversity. Just what will these little monks learn growing up during these times? Learning the texts on guru devotion when those we're supposed to be devoted to, show how guru devotion has become selective.

May these Great Masters find a home soon, may the practitioners practice openly once again.

Roberto, thanks for sharing.
It is sad isn't it - all these so-called Dharma practitioners, in defense of the Dalai Lama's ban, are out to destroy dorje Shugden's practice and practitioners, but they fail to realise that by doing so, they are also destroying a whole tradition and a whole corpus of teachings. If you suppress a practitioner, or an institution (such as their attacks on Dokhang Khangtsen before), you don't just suppress one of their practices, you end up suppressing all their work, their teachings, their practices since they are all connected. . How sad that they are killing the Dharma when they think they are mistakenly thinking that they are doing Dharma "a favour" by suppressing Dorje Shugden.

I too rejoice in the efforts of this website to uphold this sacred practice of Dorje Shugden, as well as to provide plenty of resources to many other aspects of Dharma - all of which are connected, of course.

triesa

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 04:31:24 PM »

Gyume Kensur Rinpoche of Jangtze

Recently Gyume Kensur Rinpoche (Gongpo Khamtsen Geshe Chatee) was expelled from Gaden Jangtze Monastery. Dalai Lama in a meeting with abbots in Gaden mentioned Gyume Kensur Rinpoche (GKR) doesn't come to see him anymore nor attend his teachings. With that pronouncement, the current Abbot of Jangtze Monastery wrote a letter to GKR in France expelling him. The current abbot (Hamdong Khamtsen Geshe Chopel) is a disciple of GKR also! The current abbot is said to be gentle and kind and would practice Dorje Shugden strongly. He is forced to take this action to expel his own guru. How politics forces us to commit actions against everything correct.

The current Gaden Jangtze abbot is so terrified of the Dalai Lama. He doesn't want his political clout as a abbot to be threatened it seems.  He will give up his guru samaya to expel his own teacher from the Monastery. It would have been better he resigned from his post as abbot than to expel his own teacher for political reasons. The abbot of all people should exemplify the dharma to his sangha of the his monastery. In the future his horrendous action will catch up with him. People will think deeper, that his motives are political and not dharmic in nature at all. Very sad news.

On a inspirational note, GKR would not take this lying down as the saying goes. He wrote and sent letters to Gaden, Sera and Drepung stating that he has already sworn 'against' Dorje Shugden's practice while he was in Gyume Monastery (as he was forced to), so he will not return to Gaden Jangtze to swear 'again'. He cannot honestly swear against this practice as Dorje Shugden is the practice of many elite masters both present and past. So swearing against Dorje Shugden is tantamount to swearing against them. He could not do that as swearing in front of the sangha should not be taken lightly he mentioned in his letter. He listed in his letter the names of many great masters who practiced Dorje Shugden. GKR seems to be in correct alliance with his teachers, has loyalty, understands the dharma profoundly and has the courage to practice under such political pressures. My heart goes out to GKR and may he live long and healthy in France.

Again I hope GKR will join Shar Gaden Monastery also. After all the previous Gaden Tripa Jetsun Lungrik Namgyal (now addressed as Trisur Rinpoche) has joined Gaden Jangtze Monastery).

I cannot believe my eyes when I read this. The current abbot of Jangtze Monastery (Hamdong Khamtsen Geshe Chopel) expelled his own guru, Gyume Kensur Rinpoche??

It is just another excellent example that Religion should never be mixed with politic.

Politic....... A big pullutant to one's spiritual journey.

DSFriend

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 05:03:26 PM »
One thing we know for sure is the consistency in persecuting Dorje Shugden practitioners...irregardless of spiritual attainments, elite masters are being put down. So much focus and energy is channelled towards this cause. Shouldn't an exiled government be busy instead to reestablish itself and gain back their country.

Instead, so much energy is put towards picking on Dorje Shugden practitioners.

Well, Dorje Shugden MUST be powerful and important to warrant this!! :)

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 06:10:34 PM »
One thing we know for sure is the consistency in persecuting Dorje Shugden practitioners...irregardless of spiritual attainments, elite masters are being put down. So much focus and energy is channelled towards this cause. Shouldn't an exiled government be busy instead to reestablish itself and gain back their country.

Instead, so much energy is put towards picking on Dorje Shugden practitioners.

Well, Dorje Shugden MUST be powerful and important to warrant this!! :)

Excellent point. I agree with everything said here. A refugee government should have many other duties to attend to instead of religious persecution. Non-democratic bias against certain religious practices are not the hallmark of a successful government whatsoever. Real govts tolerate and accept all religions. No wonder Tibetans lost their country and will never gain it back. Look at how their govt operates sorry to say. Very sad indeed. The Tibetan govt never learns it's lessons. You already lost your country which is a huge embarrassing shame. And cannot get it back, double shame. Now you create religious discord within your own communities. Even the Chinese are allowing Tibetans to practice whatever sect they choose in Tibet. It's ironic. For religious freedom, looks like the Tibetans should return to Tibet. At least under the Chinese govt you can practice whatever form of Buddhism you wish.

TK

WoselTenzin

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 07:09:13 PM »
It is sad that even the highest level of monastic hierarchy is not free of politics and eight worldly concerns.  The news of the abbot of Ganden Jangtze Monastery,  Hamdong Khamtsen Geshe Chopel expelling his own guru, Gyume Kensur Rinpoche (GKR) from the monastery in order to toe the line with the DL to protect his position as the Abbot is indeed appalling. 

This shows how when stakes are threaten,  what people can resort to doing just to maintain the status quo. No disrespect meant to the sangha but the action of the Abbot certainly do not show a good example of Guru Devotion to the sangha community. 

I hope GKR would join Shar Gaden where he can disseminate his knowledge and passed down the precious gelugpa lineage teaching with freedom in an environment where he will be accorded proper respect and treatment worthy of a high lama.  May GKR live long and continue to turn the wheel of Dharma.

thaimonk

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 02:35:09 AM »
If I was the abbot, I would have resigned from my position than to expel my own teacher.
It would send a powerful message to the Sangha, to my guru, to Dalai Lama and Tibetan Govt to resign.

The Tibetan govt/Dalai Lama has a policy, anyone that does not toe the line, they will be expelled or removed. This policy is unspoken/subtle and is from old Tibet. It has carried through to current times. Tibetan Govt is a 19th century style govt existing in the 21st century.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 03:29:27 PM »
If I was the abbot, I would have resigned from my position than to expel my own teacher.
It would send a powerful message to the Sangha, to my guru, to Dalai Lama and Tibetan Govt to resign.

The Tibetan govt/Dalai Lama has a policy, anyone that does not toe the line, they will be expelled or removed. This policy is unspoken/subtle and is from old Tibet. It has carried through to current times. Tibetan Govt is a 19th century style govt existing in the 21st century.

I agree with what you wrote, Thai Monk.

I would resign as well to re-affirm the foundation of the lineage and the essence of the Ensa Whispered tradition.

How can one disciple act against her/his Teacher, let alone, expel the Teacher?

It is un-heard of and very heart-breaking!

Seriously, people just need to open their eyes and see for themselves - Shugden practitioners and Lamas are NOT the ones creating schism and breaking up the community or even doing actual harm to their Tibetan culture/tradition.

It is those in government themselves.

They are really killing the Gelugpa lineage and the Tibetan tradition all on their own.

Shugdenpas did not even need to utter a single word or raise a finger.

Like DS Friend wrote - so much effort and time spent on oppressing and prosecuting Shugden monks and Lamas, not the same amount of time and effort spent on re-building their community or consolidating their people and culture.

I rejoice for Shar Gaden and Serpom Monasteries and all the Shugden monasteries around the world, wherever they are - those that are in existence and those that are being built.

They have been the ones busy, upholding the Dharma and the Gelugpa Lineage.

May they truly have everything that they need and more.

Helena

DSFriend

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 06:04:52 PM »
The Tibetan govt never learns it's lessons. You already lost your country which is a huge embarrassing shame. And cannot get it back, double shame. Now you create religious discord within your own communities. Even the Chinese are allowing Tibetans to practice whatever sect they choose in Tibet. It's ironic. For religious freedom, looks like the Tibetans should return to Tibet. At least under the Chinese govt you can practice whatever form of Buddhism you wish.

TK

I have NOT come across any articles or watched any videos of Tibetan refugees in India expressing how happy they are nor have what they expected to, which was to be close to the Dalai Lama and to be able to freely practice.

What's the point of risking their lives and taking the arduous and dangerous journey over the great mountains? Where is the religious freedom? It is sad, a lost cost. They are separated from their families...all for what? I'm sorry, but it seems like a mirage in the desert.

TK, IF i was a Tibetan refugee in India, more than likely i would have returned to Tibet!

The comforting thought is that China, the fast growing giant has taken in Dorje Shugden!

jessicajameson

• Email
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 10:04:28 PM »
I find it really weird that a student can expel his own guru. It doesn't send a very good message across to his own students. I wonder what is whispered in the monastery's hall, or how the monks of Gaden Jangtze feel about the expulsion of Gyume Kensur Rinpoche.

Yes, perhaps it shows that the abbot of Gaden Jangtze is more influenced in politics rather than religion - but could it not be part of the 'game play' for the bigger picture?

I agree with what Thai Monk says though, I would've resigned as well. What a big impact that would've been: Subtly pressured by HHDL to expel your own guru, but you instead step down. It would've showed so much loyalty and gratitude towards his teacher. Shame he did otherwise.

They are really killing the Gelugpa lineage and the Tibetan tradition all on their own.

Shugdenpas did not even need to utter a single word or raise a finger.

Like DS Friend wrote - so much effort and time spent on oppressing and prosecuting Shugden monks and Lamas, not the same amount of time and effort spent on re-building their community or consolidating their people and culture.

I rejoice for Shar Gaden and Serpom Monasteries and all the Shugden monasteries around the world, wherever they are - those that are in existence and those that are being built.

They have been the ones busy, upholding the Dharma and the Gelugpa Lineage.

May they truly have everything that they need and more.

It's true, isn't it? They say that Shugdenpas worship a spirit, and by doing so we will stop them from getting Tibet back. I think that they're doing a pretty good job not getting their country back on their own. Shugdenpas can sit, watch and wait. It's really an illusory play!