Author Topic: Dalai Lama nepwhew killed  (Read 10508 times)

thaimonk

Dalai Lama nepwhew killed
« on: February 16, 2011, 01:14:35 AM »
Jigme Norbu, the Dalai Lama's nephew was killed by a car while Walking for Tibet on highway A1A in the Hammock.

Helena

• Email
Re: Dalai Lama nepwhew killed
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 01:24:16 AM »
Hi Thai Monk,

Thought I add to your sharing of the sad news.

Source: http://www.torontosun.com/news/world/2011/02/15/17281506.html

Dalai Lama's nephew killed on U.S. highway

By BARBARA LISTON, REUTERS

Last Updated: February 15, 2011 11:02am

ORLANDO, Fla. - The 45-year-old nephew of the Dalai Lama was struck and killed Monday night on Florida’s coastal highway on the first leg of what was to be a 300-mile walk to draw attention to the plight of Tibet, authorities said.

Jigme K. Norbu of Bloomington, Ind., was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

Norbu was walking after dark along the edge of highway A1A, which extends the length of Florida’s east coast, when he was hit by a passing vehicle.

According to the Ambassadors for World Peace website, Norbu had walked or biked more than 7,800 miles across the United States and abroad to raise awareness of what pro-Tibet groups describe as the suppression of Tibetans by Communist China.

Many Tibetans chafe under Chinese rule and the poor and remote region, torn by ethnic tensions, was the site of bloody protests in 2008.

Beijing has blamed exiled Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama for instigating violence, charges he strongly denies.

The Ambassador for World Peace website chronicled Norbu’s arrival Sunday in St. Augustine in northeast Florida and a celebratory dinner on the night before the planned walk to West Palm Beach.

Neither the driver of the vehicle that struck Norbu, Keith O’Dell, 31, of nearby Palm Coast, nor his 5-year-old son who was traveling with him, was injured.

The accident remains under investigation and no charges have been filed.
Helena

DSFriend

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 07:29:26 AM »
Thank you Thaimonk, Helena for the news.

How unfortunate. Life is so fragile...

How many have lost their lives to free Tibet?

May Jigme Norbu and all the freedom fighters who lost their lives have good rebirths.

triesa

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 03:59:02 PM »
Life is so unpredictable...................

Don't hold on.........just let go...........

My prayers go to Jigme Norbu.........

Mana

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 05:23:38 PM »
The Beijing Olympic 2008 was the opportunity to ride on for Free Tibet cause, there were sporadic protests here and there, but 3 years later, it is as if nothing had happened before. The Tibetans have lose their chance forever.

Nevertheless, there are a few people with great determination continue to fight for the cause, and plan to do so till the end, Jigme Norbu is one, his spirit and determination is commendable.

May he take a good rebirth and continue his spirit to benefit people, like he did in this life.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 09:36:29 AM »
What kind of karma is that for Jigme Norbu to have a fatal accident on the first leg of this trip.  It indicates the futility of the Tibet freedom campaign.

Interestingly enough, Jigme Norbu's late father, Thubten Jigme Norbu, was the eldest brother of HH Dalai Lama and who was recognised as the Taktser Rinpoche. In 1995, Thubten Jigme Norbu had co-founded the International Tibet Independence Movement (ITIM) and led three walks for Tibet's independence. In 1995, he led a week-long walk 80 miles from Bloomington, Indiana to Indianapolis, Indiana. In 1996, this was followed by a 300-mile, 45 day walk from the PRC embassy in Washington, D.C. to the United Nations Headquarters surrounded by New York City. The following year, he led a 600-mile walk from Toronto to New York City, beginning on March 10 (Tibetan Uprising Day) and ending June 14 (Flag Day). (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thubten_Jigme_Norbu)

So while Jigme Norbu was continuing his father's legacy of walks for Tibet, neither survived to see Tibet gain independence and as Mana says - the Tibetans have lost their chance forever.

Rather than chasing something so illusory, the Tibetans should perhaps focus on how to continue after the passing of the Dalai Lama, and look at creating harmony rather than schism between the Tibetans. One way would be to mend back the divisions with Shugden practitioners and focus on unity.

Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

beggar

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 09:58:54 AM »
It is a kind of sad irony that the Tibetans don't realise how much their country is actually being preserved and continues to grow by the dharma and the teachings of their great masters going all over the world. They have literally brought a legacy out to the world. This is so much more beneficial and meaningful than a country. How much greater it would be if they put their effort towards propogating what their country has come to stand for - a peaceful way of living, religion and Dharma.

They respect their leader, the Dalai Lama, so much and what he represents and continuously promotes is the Dharma. It would be so much better for them to promote this which benefits so many more and lasts so much further into the future.

Big Uncle

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 05:27:50 AM »
A great champion for Tibetans is gone! Perhaps, he will continue his cause for others in his next life.

I am not trying to be superstitious but I see this as a bad omen for Tibetan independence. The generation of those who would fight hard for Tibetan independence is slowly passing away. They fight hard because they remembered what it was like to live in a free Tibet. However, the next generation is growing up and they do not have any notion of what it was like to live in a free Tibet. Some fight hard and some don't. The Tibetan community is exile is really rather scattered and very few good leaders abound. Currently, only the Dalai Lama remains as a unifying force within the Tibetan community. Once, he passes on, which I pray is not soon but will nonetheless be inevitable. His passing will send shockwaves and will break the fragile unity that the Tibetans currently have. If the TGIE don't act quick now to modernise its runnings, it might not survive the shockwaves.   

WisdomBeing

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 04:09:26 PM »
The Tibetan situation is another great example of impermanence. Things have changed - the Tibetans have lost their country and with each passing day, it is increasingly obvious that they will not regain it. While I respect the Tibetan freedom fighters' perseverance and optimism, I think it would probably be best for them to recognise reality and see how to proceed - from being guests in other countries to settling down there and help to spread Tibetan Buddhism to the places they are living in now. Their karma led to them being dispersed throughout the world so now, instead of bemoaning their lot, they can turn that situation into a positive one - isn't that mind transformation by changing the way we look at things?

jessicajameson

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 10:44:22 PM »
The Tibetan situation is another great example of impermanence. Things have changed - the Tibetans have lost their country and with each passing day, it is increasingly obvious that they will not regain it. While I respect the Tibetan freedom fighters' perseverance and optimism, I think it would probably be best for them to recognise reality and see how to proceed - from being guests in other countries to settling down there and help to spread Tibetan Buddhism to the places they are living in now. Their karma led to them being dispersed throughout the world so now, instead of bemoaning their lot, they can turn that situation into a positive one - isn't that mind transformation by changing the way we look at things?

To be honest, every time I read about Tibetans losing another battle in getting their country back I feel really, really upset for them. I can't blame them for thinking that way - many people have "won" back their countries through fighting back for it, and through speaking up when others don't. At least they have that drive that motivates them to go all the way with something that they truly believe in. If it doesn't hurt anyone else along the way, even better.

Having said that, we don't really 'belong' to any country. It's only within our minds that we perceive that we are part of something. Nothing on ourselves brands us with where we come from. All cultures and traditions come and go.

Like what HHDL says, if we look at the world from space, we don't see boundaries. We see one planet. We are all 'stuck' on this one planet. So what is so terrible about 'losing' a country? Just move to another one! There's still land below your feet, a sky above your head and air to breathe.

So in answering WB's question - yes, I believe that it is a form of mind transformation. The shift in looking at things not from a small-minded point of view, but that everything is as it is. Accept it, and move on.

How terrible though, that while someone's doing something good - something bad happens. How terrible to walk for the independence of a country, and be killed by a father-of-two driving safely in a car....!

I have this odd perception that if I am doing something good, nothing bad can happen. E.g. if I was driving on the way to the temple - there are times that I drive like an absolute lunatic! In my mind I'm thinking 'No way can I get into an accident... I'm going to go pray!' haha

I shall limit myself to 30mph now :) Just gotta leave the house earlier..eh!

pgdharma

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 02:06:13 PM »
Jigme Norbu was trying to follow the footsteps of his father by walking to draw attention to the plight of Tibet. How sad to know that he nor his father survived to see Tibet gain independence.

Life is so fragile, everything in life is impermanent even cultures and traditions.  Many lives have been lost to save Tibet and all in vain. I feel that the Tibetans have lost their chance forever. It is best for them to recognize the truth and move on......

My prayers to Jigme Norbu. May Jigme Norbu have a good rebirth.

DSFriend

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 04:16:36 PM »

Having said that, we don't really 'belong' to any country. It's only within our minds that we perceive that we are part of something. Nothing on ourselves brands us with where we come from. All cultures and traditions come and go.

That is true but I suppose it is hard as many families were split up when the family members escaped into India. I suppose many have never seen their families and friends again...

Well, I do hope somehow, harmony will be instilled in the hearts of the Tibetan people who has been scattered throughout..

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 03:14:34 PM »
Latest update below. The sons and brother of Jigme Norbu will continue his footsteps. Although I do think the ultimate 'cause' of what they are striving for will be in vain, I do respect such passion and commitment. I strongly suggest that we Shugden practitioners see this as an inspiration, to continue our faith in the holy protector in this challenging time where the world is seemingly against us.

Family of Dalai Lama's nephew vows to carry on his mission

For the first time since a tragic accident claimed the life of their loved one, Jigme Norbu's family is speaking. The Dalai Lama's nephew died after being hit by a car on a Florida highway.

By Vanessa McClure

Fox59
3:53 PM EST, February 22, 2011
Bloomington, Ind.

For the first time since a tragic accident claimed the life of their loved one, Jigme Norbu's family is speaking. The Dalai Lama's nephew died after being hit by a car on a Florida highway.

Norbu is a Bloomington native and was very involved in the movement to free Tibet.

Family, friends and the public gathered at Bloomington City Hall to hear the Norbu family speak for the first time since loosing Jigme. They say it is now their mission to pick up where Jigme left off.

The Norbu family bowed, honoring their late fallen hero.

"[He was] a freedom fighter, a patriot."

Jigme's life passion was walking to raise awareness about Tibet's struggle for Independence. His life was taken from him on a Florida highway doing just that. It was the first day of a 300 mile walk when an SUV struck and killed him. Jigme's brother Kunga calls him remarkable. He walked nearly 8,000 miles for his cause.

"Such a tragic loss but then out of the loss there's so much good. So much, because now I hope other Tibetans will step up and won't let this dream die. We won't let this dream die, but now others will step up and say we need to do something," said Kunga.

And they are starting now. Jigme's two oldest sons will go with Kunga to physically follow in Jigme's footsteps. They are heading to Florida Wednesday to walk for three days. The first walk is for Jigme's sons, where Jigme took his first steps for Tibetan freedom with his father years ago.

"These two right here, along with me, we're going to go many places," said Kunga.

A long family history of pushing for a free Tibet, starting with the Dalai Lama and not ending in Jigme's death.

"His spirit's out there and when we're down there it will be accompanying us, for sure."

A public memorial is scheduled for March 1st at City hall from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 01:54:36 PM »
I read that there were about 200 people who attended the Dalai Lama's nephew's funeral in Bloomington, USA (About 200 attend service for Dalai Lama's nephew http://www.phayul.com/news/article.aspx?id=29190&article=About+200+attend+service+for+Dalai+Lama's+nephew&t=1&c=1).

Personally, I'm quite surprised at the turnout because I would have thought more people would have come to attend and show solidarity for Jigme Norbu's cause, i.e. Tibetan independence from China, and why he was on the walk in the first place where he met with his tragic accident.

The sudden death of a young man like this could have ignited a movement but it looks like there was hardly a spark, which indicates that the popularity of this cause is waning.

triesa

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 02:57:57 PM »
Losing Tibet may outwardly seem very bad for Tibetans. And as Tibetans would find any opportunities to move elsewhere, this could be the best possibility to spread the Tibetan culture, spirituality and Dharma to places Tibetans have never imagined.

Look at all the high lamas and Rinpoches now, and not to mention the lamas practicing Dorje Shugden, they are forced one way or another to live in other parts of the world, spreading buddhadharma and opening up centers.

Yes, I do agree that all Tibetans should forego the differences in their practice, whether they are DS practitioners or not, whether they belong to this sect or that sect, this center or that center, under this lama or that lama, it all does not matter. What matters most in the spiritual world is that if outside people sees unity, peace and harmony among all the Tibetans, that is sometimes as good as having the country back.