Author Topic: Could You Give Up Everything?  (Read 7756 times)

buddhalovely

• Email
Re: Could You Give Up Everything?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 09:22:51 AM »
The most obvious answer is that most of us don't realize the state of enlightenment is either possible or desirable. You may believe it requires a level of heroism and sacrifice that is beyond you, that it's reserved for people, who, like the Buddha, renounce everything, who leave job, home, and family to spend years practicing fearsome austerities, meditating for long hours, cutting themselves off from ordinary life.

This all-or-nothing notion of enlightenment is deeply rooted, and insidious. I often get questions from students who experience an expansion of consciousness and then worry, "But if I keep doing this, will I have to give up my family? Will I lose my personality?" If we think pursuing high states of consciousness means giving up other aspects of life, it won't seem like an attractive option. On the flip side, we may be attracted to the idea of enlightenment yet imagine it to be a way of bypassing ordinary challenges and irritations, and then we may get discouraged if we don't experience an immediate transformation, or get frustrated when we aren't lifted miraculously beyond the everyday demands of work and family relationships.

Tenzin K

Re: Could You Give Up Everything?
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 05:15:25 PM »
I don’t see being ordained is a give up in your life. I see it more a ‘new life’ for one to give up suffering in the samsaric attachment. Able to let go what we thought that will bring us happiness in samsara is a great thing to do. Able to realize that chasing the temporal happiness is just a waste of time. Being ordained is putting our self into a journey of liberation which people thought that we may lose all the things in the world but actually they are wrong. In fact we will gain so much more that other people because we live our life benefiting others and more positive effect will come to us in order to help us to benefits more people. We gain more!

What I feel most beautiful being ordained is letting go all the illusion and delusion and at the same time focus on our spiritual journey day and night with a great motivation that we will never give up and move on live after live.