Author Topic: Why We Should Not Over-Criticize the Dalai Lama  (Read 26695 times)

DSFriend

Re: Why We Should Not Over-Criticize the Dalai Lama
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 10:13:25 AM »
One thing that has helped me with this is thinking of how the great Lamas have handled this issue.
If we believe that every aspect of their life is a teaching, then how they handle this issue is a teaching as well.
I have not heard of one Lama say nasty things about any other Lama. My own teachers have not spoken harshly, and for me that is a teaching on how I should act.

Beautiful! So much time spent on criticizing can be such a waste. I agree 100% with TK to present facts but do what we can to promote our Protector!

kurava

• Email
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 10:52:02 PM »
TK is not only wise but speaks in accord with dharma.

Buddhas advice had always been for us to not dwell on things which bring no benefit and to go for things which bring benefit.

The exhortation here is not to OVER-CRITICIZE .

It is not to stop you from expressing opinions. After we have done our analysis and given an opinion, we should move on to doing  things that benefit us most. If DS practice had given us benefit, and our faith is strong, a ban like this may shake us momentarily but should not throw us away. Not especially when we have a very good angle to consider based on the larger picture principle. Moreover, enough is enough and we should not let these issue become a preoccupation and distract us from our path.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 03:26:06 AM »
Well said, Kurava!

If we cannot even endure hardships and trying times, then we will never commit to the Dharma and go all the way. Because every time something happens, it is enough to tear us away from the Dharma and make us totally unstable. Why? Because we are so dependent on everything external to us to move us forward or into any direction, for that matter.

Sometimes, we can even go through very trying times with our Guru - especially when we have done something wrong REPEATEDLy and the Guru has no choice but to use wrathful methods to wake us up and stop us in our path of destruction. So, because the Guru is wrathful we then run away and stop practice? We abandon everything???

IF we do, then we cannot really be that committed to Dharma in the first place.

The only thing we are committed to is "external factors" because we would only practice and like to practice when all "external factors" are in our favour.

All things external are just reflection of who we are inside.

I remember going through a very tough time with my Guru once and boy, did I feel completely dejected for all the things that I have done wrong. Ordinarily, I would have succumbed into my self-piteous ways and feel very sorry for myself. I would even console myself that I was so innocent and I should not need to go through this. But that inner dialogue lasted for about 5 minutes. After which I did realise that everything that I wanted or preferred was just solely designed to fulfill my own selfish needs. Especially, how I preferred people should act towards me, and even my Guru. I was very attached to the way I view things and people. But my Guru was so skillful in breaking down all those perceptions and delusions within me - despite me not liking one second of it.

After I realised that every single thing which my Guru was doing is really a teaching in itself, I began to focus on learning the lessons and not focus so much on what I was feeling or thinking. I wanted to rise above this and move forward.

I actually began to have more faith in my Guru after that whole experience although during I thought he was not very nice at all. After that whole experience, I began to see things and myself very differently. I just refuse to let anything or anyone stop me from going into Dharma wholeheartedly.

And really, the only person who has that kind of overwhelming power to stop us from our practice is ultimately, ourselves.

To me, Dharma is to make us better people and not to stay as we are or to continue as we are.

So, we can choose to rise or fall or even become embroiled with the whole samsaric drama - the choice is always with you. No one can stop - not really. No one ever could and ever will.

Helena

honeydakini

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 08:11:05 PM »
Well said, Kurava!

If we cannot even endure hardships and trying times, then we will never commit to the Dharma and go all the way. Because every time something happens, it is enough to tear us away from the Dharma and make us totally unstable. Why? Because we are so dependent on everything external to us to move us forward or into any direction, for that matter.

The thing is that we CAN endure hardships and trying times - we do it for everything else in our lives like relationships, a job, family etc etc But when it comes to the most important thing in our lives - our enlightenment and spiritual journey - we suddenly find it difficult to push ourselves or go beyond our boundaries.

What you have said is very right. We are more attached to the external factors of our spiritual practice should be. Then when things don't go the way we expect spiritual practice to, we freak out. We think, "this isn't how it's supposed to make me feel" and we go away from it. But why don't we think like that when we do business or when we're in a job? we don't think "oh... this business is hard work, it's not at all like what i thought it would be. let's just give up. it's too difficult.".... no, in fact, if our business isn't working, we push ourselves even harder, we work longer hours, we endure more and more of the things we don't like.

Ironic, isn't it? that we can apply more effort, bear with more difficulty in things that actually bring us down (i.e. everything in samsaray) but for the things that are good for us (dharma, attainments), we don't want to go that extra mile?

Helena

• Email
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 05:18:09 PM »
Well said, HD!

I agree 100%!

In this day and age, everything around us is designed and created to make it more convenient and easy for us to remain attached to everything in samsara. In fact, they are engineered to make us stay trapped in samsara and not liberate us from samsara.

It is by making everything so convenient and easy and beautiful, we remain attached. It becomes too easy for us to become attached to one thing or another. Hence, we will never leave samsara.

Yet in the only hope we have in true liberation, we view it as a chore, a prison and a real pain in our every day lives.

It is beyond ironic.

It is the sad reality of the human tragedy.

Such is "divine comedy" of our lives.
Helena

jessicajameson

• Email
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 05:45:31 PM »
Does anyone know what the "consequences" are, according to the lamrim, when we face our karma upon death if in this lifetime we, not only over-criticize, but merely criticize the Dalai Lama?

Does it matter if he's our guru or not when it comes to criticizing HHDL?

In my honest opinion, I make a conscious effort to never think anything negative about HHDL, because I feel that that itself creates negative karma seeing as he is the living emanation of Avalokiteshvara..

If I can think anything negative about him, it means that I can think negatively about a Buddha .. the basis of my practice should therefore be non-existent. Why else would I be on the path to enlightenment if I think negatively of the very end of my goal.

beggar

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 06:36:51 PM »
Does anyone know what the "consequences" are, according to the lamrim, when we face our karma upon death if in this lifetime we, not only over-criticize, but merely criticize the Dalai Lama?

Does it matter if he's our guru or not when it comes to criticizing HHDL?

In my honest opinion, I make a conscious effort to never think anything negative about HHDL, because I feel that that itself creates negative karma seeing as he is the living emanation of Avalokiteshvara..

If I can think anything negative about him, it means that I can think negatively about a Buddha .. the basis of my practice should therefore be non-existent. Why else would I be on the path to enlightenment if I think negatively of the very end of my goal.

Over-criticise or criticise stem from one thing: the motivation for that criticism. Whatever it is, it usually cannot be a good thing. People criticise for their own agendas – usually it is to put the lama down or start questioning the validity of his practices and teachings. Why would we want to do that?!

Yes, this action/speech is very damaging for several reasons:

1)   Once you start criticising one lama, you set a precedent to be able to criticise another lama, and another lama and another lama… then what teachings are sacred anymore?

2)   imagine all those students you might affect from this criticism. The very lama that you dislike and are criticising is someone else’s root teacher who they have relied upon very strongly for many, many years. Imagine the potential doubt and negative thoughts you plant in THEIR minds which could turn them away from the teacher and the dharma. Somehow, it will link back to you and you face that karma of splitting someone from their dharma teacher or centre.

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 01:01:15 PM »
I personally would never criticise ANY lama for the fact that they know BETTER than me what they are doing.

I have been thinking a lot re NKT and FPMT lately and why the seeming "opposite" direction - NKT full force supporting Shugden and FPMT supporting the Dalai Lama. Perhaps there's a reason although I might not know it.

Anyway, in supporting Dalai Lama, Lama Zopa has quoted these below, which I think is good for us to reflect that we should not criticise a Bodhisattva. It has been mentioned by the Buddha that Chenrezig will manifest and work as an ordinary being.

Let us not be fooled by our delusion, for many who met Lord Shakyamuni during his time also had wrong views that Buddha was "ordinary". Let's not be the Devadattas and create schism & obstacles for the growth of Buddhadharma and holy protector's practice.

"There are many contemporary and ancient stories about His Holiness Dalai Lama that, together with valid quotations from the scriptures, prove that His Holiness the Dalai Lama is Chenrezig; the Buddha of Compassion. [See Lama Zopa's talks In Praise of His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama (http://www.lamayeshe.com/index.php?sect=article&id=371) and Great Compassion and His Holiness the Dalai Lama] The qualities of his holy body, speech and mind, his great compassion and his holy actions are as limitless as the sky and benefit not only the East but also the West; in fact, every country in the world.

His Holiness has even managed to spread the Dharma to far-flung countries where normally you’d never hear any Buddhadharma at all. Like the rising sun, he has shed the light of Dharma upon the sentient beings who live in those countries, leading them along the pure path to peace and happiness, to liberation and enlightenment. Because of such incredible, extensive work throughout the world, His Holiness’s kindness is beyond measure.

What proves that the founder of the Buddhadharma, Shakyamuni Buddha, is a pure founder, a valid founder? This is proven by his teaching being pure and valid. Similarly, the fact that even ordinary beings like us can see the extensive qualities of His Holiness’s holy body, speech and mind proves that he is the Buddha of Compassion.

Further proof that His Holiness is the Buddha of Compassion comes from Guru Shakyamuni Buddha in India, when he predicted to the bodhisattva Eliminating Defilements (Dribpa Namsäl), “The sentient beings in the Snowland of Tibet will be subdued by the Buddha of Compassion.”

Guru Shakyamuni Buddha also predicted to the bodhisattva Thayä Rigchog, “The Chenrezig who is going to work for the transmigratory beings of the Snowland of Tibet is you.”

Furthermore, the teachings say, “The guide of all the sentient beings in the Snowland of Tibet will hold the position of a king. The savior of Tibet, Phurgyäl Yül, is my heart disciple. His holy mind is completely clear, without obscuration, but he will work for sentient beings in a hidden manner by acting as an ordinary being.”

When we meet this Chenrezig that the Buddha predicted, hear his holy speech and are guided by him with compassion, if His Holiness Dalai Lama is not that Chenrezig, who else can Chenrezig be? If His Holiness is not Chenrezig, then nobody can be Chenrezig; even those great yogis who are said to be incarnations of this buddha or that are suspect. You can’t trust any other incarnation.

Source: http://www.lamayeshe.com/index.php?sect=article&id=335&chid=1398

pgdharma

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 03:49:43 PM »
TK is not only wise but speaks in accord with dharma.

Buddhas advice had always been for us to not dwell on things which bring no benefit and to go for things which bring benefit.

The exhortation here is not to OVER-CRITICIZE .

It is not to stop you from expressing opinions. After we have done our analysis and given an opinion, we should move on to doing  things that benefit us most. If DS practice had given us benefit, and our faith is strong, a ban like this may shake us momentarily but should not throw us away. Not especially when we have a very good angle to consider based on the larger picture principle. Moreover, enough is enough and we should not let these issue become a preoccupation and distract us from our path.

Well said. Everyone has a right to express opinions. However, after that it is better to move on and spend time on positive actions, like doing the actual practice.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 07:39:22 AM »
This is the way it should be. We do not give up or practice of dorje shugden. We create awareness among the general public regarding his practice the best we can eg by giving brochures is one way. We help those students who wish to help the monks of dorje shugden monasteries eg tenzin sungrab. We donate to Tenzin Sungrab. We can become pen pals of monks at Serpom/Shar Gaden. Sponsor them. Get information about them and post it here and everywhere to create awareness. Send monetary donations to them.  Post information here that are relevant/educational/and informational that will educate the thousands of readers who visit here and have a right to know what is happening. Negative rhetoric on the Dalai Lama convinces no one and impresses no one. These are some positive and constructive ways to expend our energy and resources for Dorje Shugen's cause.
Dear TK, I love what you have wrote here, and the direction that you have recommended for us Dorje Shugden practitioners. It makes a lot of sense in more ways than one as I believe that my protector is an enlightened being and a Buddha, and he would never approve of me going against the Dalai Lama or any lama for that matter. It makes sense so much.

We may not agree with some of Dalai Lama's policies. We make our stance clear, we write letters and and we refrain from harsh descriptives such as liar, dictator and hypocrite. We must present the information without sounding fanatical or motivated by anger. When we present the information such as on this forum, WE LET THE READERS DECIDE IF DALAI LAMA IS DOING WHAT HE IS DOING.
I think being against the Dalai Lama only proves to people that Dorje Shugden is bad as everyone knows that the Dalai Lama is good. He might have some repressive policies like what TK here has said, but it does not give us the green light to act in a non dharmic manner. Therefore, I do support TK's stance and I find this explanation very apt and logical.

It is important NEVER TO HAVE HATE SITES THAT explicitly and obviously slander the Dalai Lama. Because we are Buddhists. Dorje Shugden would never approve of that.  And it would be much better to present the information to the public and newcomers in a even and fair manner. In the end, we want Dalai Lama to retract his ban and words against Shugden, but we do not want Dalai Lama harmed in anyway. It does us no good.
If we harm the Dalai Lama's reputation, what do we get? Who would actually buy that? Everyone knows, including those of other faiths, that the Dalai Lama is the face of Tibetan Buddhism. If he says Dorje Shugden is bad and we prove that to him with harsh words and anger directed to him, are we not proving him right? we should prove him wrong. We should let people learn about Dorje Shugden and let them decide.  Because in Buddhism there is always a choice. If we dont give people a choice, we are contradicting the Buddha's words and creed.

So this is important to understand here. I may not be screaming down with the Dalai Lama but that does not mean I agree with his policy on Shugden. But I choose Buddhist methods that does not infringe on my Bodhisattva/tantric vows to get the point across. After all, after I die, I face my karma. The intent is good, but the method must accord.

tk
In this case, I do see and agree that the means do not justify the end....promoting Dorje Shugden's name in a way that will create more misunderstandings will not help. Tk's advice is extremely sound, i find, as it is also in accord with the Dharma. Why should we use methods that go against the Dharma to promote Dorje Shugden and prove the rumors right?

I find that this entire post represents this website here and what this website is doing and I am very proud to be a member here. We are not asking people to dump the Dalai Lama, but to actually look at the facts, and decide if they want to go with Dorje Shugden. Dalai Lama and Dorje Shugden is not mutually exclusive and in fact, in the sadhana that my Guru has given me, I do the prayer to Dorje Shugden that was written by the 14th Dalai Lama. So it is not mutually exclusive.

Tammy

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 02:08:46 PM »
Thank you tk for putting the whole issue of HHDL vs DS in proper perspective! And I can't agree with you more!!

Whilst we do not agree with HHDL's decision of 'banning' the practise of Dorje Shugden, we will have to repect him as the spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhism. And despite all the negative actions took on by CTA following the ban, we can't deny that he had played a significant part in the spreading of Buddhism beyond the border of China and Tibet.

Down with the BAN!!!

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 05:50:39 AM »
Well said, Kurava!

Sometimes, we can even go through very trying times with our Guru - especially when we have done something wrong REPEATEDLy and the Guru has no choice but to use wrathful methods to wake us up and stop us in our path of destruction. So, because the Guru is wrathful we then run away and stop practice? We abandon everything???

IF we do, then we cannot really be that committed to Dharma in the first place.

The only thing we are committed to is "external factors" because we would only practice and like to practice when all "external factors" are in our favour.

All things external are just reflection of who we are inside.

I remember going through a very tough time with my Guru once and boy, did I feel completely dejected for all the things that I have done wrong. Ordinarily, I would have succumbed into my self-piteous ways and feel very sorry for myself. I would even console myself that I was so innocent and I should not need to go through this. But that inner dialogue lasted for about 5 minutes. After which I did realise that everything that I wanted or preferred was just solely designed to fulfill my own selfish needs. Especially, how I preferred people should act towards me, and even my Guru. I was very attached to the way I view things and people. But my Guru was so skillful in breaking down all those perceptions and delusions within me - despite me not liking one second of it.

After I realised that every single thing which my Guru was doing is really a teaching in itself, I began to focus on learning the lessons and not focus so much on what I was feeling or thinking. I wanted to rise above this and move forward.

I actually began to have more faith in my Guru after that whole experience although during I thought he was not very nice at all. After that whole experience, I began to see things and myself very differently. I just refuse to let anything or anyone stop me from going into Dharma wholeheartedly.

And really, the only person who has that kind of overwhelming power to stop us from our practice is ultimately, ourselves.

To me, Dharma is to make us better people and not to stay as we are or to continue as we are.

So, we can choose to rise or fall or even become embroiled with the whole samsaric drama - the choice is always with you. No one can stop - not really. No one ever could and ever will.

I do agree with this statement a lot. If we are unable to bear hardships, then what is the use of our Dharma practice? Being able to endure hardships, especially for the sake of the Dharma is something that is rare for practitioners of these days, where everything is just so convenient and nobody really has to work hard for anything. This is one of the features of the kaliyuga, where nobody does anything merely because everything is just so convenient and a little bit of hardships these days is more than enough to send ex practitioners bitching about their ex dharma center on the internet and to everyone they encounter. If those people that they have met dont know anything, they actually believe these people and agree with them that their ex Dharma center is bad and thus, the Dharma degenerates in that region. As much as we like to believe that people are not that weak, they are and they would give up Dharma if they encounter difficulties or they would not hesitate drop the Dharma and go for a psychiatrist that will not do much but heal the ego.

But really, is the Dharma really that not worth it to the point that it is okay to give it up whenever something bad happens? Is it really that useless for so many people to the point where they give up being Buddhist and throw away all their statues and books when something bad happens in their lives? Perhaps, everyone thinks that meditation and statues and prayers are a shortcut to getting the quick happiness that they want, without putting effort into it. Everyone wants it quick and easy these days, and without the effort but something like that does not really exist in reality. I would not give up Dharma even if the whole world turned against me, and I would not give up Dorje Shugden even if the Dalai Lama pleads me to stop. The only person in the world that can tell me to stop is my root Guru.

Big Uncle

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2012, 07:40:50 AM »
I just think that we should just stick to Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche's advice. He wrote it for the future audience as he already foresaw the conflict that would arise because of the Dalai Lama's ban on Dorje Shugden. He already knew what would happened with the ban of the Dalai Lama and he already gave a great advice of how to regard the Dalai Lama in this moment of crisis. Some people interpret this as a general Mahayana advice although Trijang Rinpoche was quite specific about how to regard the Dalai Lama, Panchen Lama and the Dalai Lama.

But some who are narrow minded, not understanding this point, consider this Dharmapala to be like an ordinary worldly being and, with supposed faith in the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama, disparage him; or else they indeed admire this great Dharmapala but criticize the Dalai Lama or Panchen Lama. Using either one as a reason not to admire the other and speaking badly about either in any way is the conduct of an ordinary being who, under the influence of attachment and hatred, just tries to help friends and hurt enemies; it obscures the increase of these great holy Aryas' deeds and creates the karmic cause to experience unbearable suffering in the future.
pg 125 of Music Delighting An Ocean of Conquerors by Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2012, 12:10:50 PM »
I just think that we should just stick to Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche's advice. He wrote it for the future audience as he already foresaw the conflict that would arise because of the Dalai Lama's ban on Dorje Shugden. He already knew what would happened with the ban of the Dalai Lama and he already gave a great advice of how to regard the Dalai Lama in this moment of crisis. Some people interpret this as a general Mahayana advice although Trijang Rinpoche was quite specific about how to regard the Dalai Lama, Panchen Lama and the Dalai Lama.

But some who are narrow minded, not understanding this point, consider this Dharmapala to be like an ordinary worldly being and, with supposed faith in the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama, disparage him; or else they indeed admire this great Dharmapala but criticize the Dalai Lama or Panchen Lama. Using either one as a reason not to admire the other and speaking badly about either in any way is the conduct of an ordinary being who, under the influence of attachment and hatred, just tries to help friends and hurt enemies; it obscures the increase of these great holy Aryas' deeds and creates the karmic cause to experience unbearable suffering in the future.
pg 125 of Music Delighting An Ocean of Conquerors by Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche

To me, that is a very clear prediction of the emergence of the ban. Trijang Rinpoche is a very highly attained master, so it is for sure that he has warned everyone about it. For all we know, it could be him who asked the Dalai Lama to do so after his passing to clear certain obstacles for the growth of the Dharma. We never know how enlightened beings work, and the appearance of this passage shows us that Trijang Rinpoche has already know that the ban would have taken place, and has provided us all with sound advice on what needs to be done at this time. This forum is in line with that advise, which is why it makes it very worthwhile and meritorious just by posting here alone as we are following Trijang Rinpoche's advice/instructions. It is very easy actually to go the polar directions of the whole issue, but to maintain middle ground in this way is not easy for anyone to do but those who can without a doubt will be able to gain results since it is after all, Trijang Rinpoche's instructions.

It does not sound at all like mahayana advice, but a direct instruction on how Dorje Shugden practitioners should handle this issue altogether. It is very clear and indicative from the way that he has put it. So what are we still waiting for?

lotus1

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2012, 03:53:06 PM »
One thing that has helped me with this is thinking of how the great Lamas have handled this issue.
If we believe that every aspect of their life is a teaching, then how they handle this issue is a teaching as well.
I have not heard of one Lama say nasty things about any other Lama. My own teachers have not spoken harshly, and for me that is a teaching on how I should act.

Fully agreed with Losang_tenpa. I do not agreed with the ban but that does not mean I should personal attack HHDL or hope that any harm will happen to HHDL. Hatred and anger is not the way to go. Furthermore, Dorje Shugden had saved HHDL’s life earlier. I am sure Dorje Shugden would not want any harm to HHDL too.

We should follow what tk, this forum and DS.com ways to counter the ban! We promote Dorje Shudgen!! We show people the fact and information and let them understand more about Dorje Shudgen. The more people know about Dorje Shugden and learn the truth, more people will follow us as they know Dorje Shugden’s practice is not just fast and effective, he has an authentic lineage too!