Author Topic: Protector mirror function?  (Read 7309 times)

Alexis

Protector mirror function?
« on: January 06, 2008, 05:40:59 AM »
Can someone tell me what is the symbolism and function of the round mirror found in protector attire such as the one portrayed on the Pelgyeling DS statue in the gallery section of this website?

What does the mantra syllable stands for? It looks like a HUM!

Thanks.....

beggar

Re: Protector mirror function?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 01:08:08 PM »
Dear Alexis,
sorry this is not much; i hope to find out more and add it later. Outwardly this is the breastplate of Dharmapala's suit of armour as worn by his oracles, and if i remember right, yes it is adorned with the seed syllable HUM as we visualize in our yidam's heart, or in the hearts of Dorje Shugden's four activity aspects during mantra recitation.
It appearing like a mirror could refer to one of the main 'jobs' of Dharmapalas - transforming anger into mirror-like wisdom; i'm not sure about this one but at least it makes sense!
yours, beggar

Mooch

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 03:06:22 PM »

I hope this is the same thing. In Robert Beers book"The Encyclopedia of Tibetan Symbols and Motifs"
 It says that "the mirror is considered to be one of the eight auspicious substances,and that the mirrors function is to enable one to see oneself clearly,and as a cosmetic accessory or household object its auspicous importance is obvious. In Buddhism the mirror is the perfect symbol of emptiness or pure conciousness-it is clear,bright and shining,it reflects all objects impartially,and yet remains completely unaffected by the images which arise in it."
 I hope that this is the same mirror your referring to.

Alexis

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 03:17:46 PM »
Thank you Mooch,

I think it is partially related to the Dharmapala's mirror breastplate. Especially the conciousness part of the explanation.

Thanks!

kelsang

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 11:12:28 AM »
The "mirror" is there to protect the heart of the kuten Lama...

Alexis

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 01:43:10 PM »
Oh,

Very intriguing!

I've seen many trances without the mirror, could you elaborate on this? Protection from what?

Thanks,

kelsang

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 12:58:45 PM »
Hi Alexis
...sorry i dont know really my lama only told me that it was there to protect the heart of the kuten lama because that is where he "hides" his mind ...i have seen it without as well, maybe its just one of the not important ritual items at least if u invite enlightened deities ....its used for other oracles as well ..

the letter by the way looks like a dhi to me...

kelsang

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 12:39:20 PM »
its a hri ...haha finally we got it

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 07:22:35 PM »
Hmmm.... This topic about the breast plate is really interesting. I really hope that someone have more information about it and can post it up here for all of us to read and see what is it about.

What I have heard is that in trance, the oracle in trance will hit the breast plate to show agreement.

SabS

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 10:46:46 AM »
This is an interesting question about the function of the mirror breastplate that the Oracle wears. I do know that the Protector during trance session will hit on the breastplate as an acknowledgement or agreement or promise. As to it being the protection place of the Oracle's mind, I have not heard. It would be nice if someone with knowledge on this could share here or as an article in main section for all to learn.