Author Topic: First Tibetan in exile gets Indian passport  (Read 112 times)

Big Uncle

First Tibetan in exile gets Indian passport
« on: March 17, 2017, 07:01:04 PM »
Once the Dalai Lama's not around anymore, the stabilizing factor for the Tibetan leadership will no longer be there. A lot more Tibetans will rush to get Indian passports and for the elite and rich, they will leave India for other countries. It's just a matter of time before that happens. Unfortunately, Tibetans would be scattered and perhaps even more Tibetans, especially of the older generation would rather opt to return to their homeland.

--------------------------------

First Tibetan in exile gets Indian passport
Mar 17, 2017, 07.36 AM IST

DHARAMSHALA: After fighting a court battle against Union ministry of external affairs and authorities concerned, a Tibetan in exile has succeeded in getting an Indian passport. Lobsang Wangyal (47), the man behind Miss Tibet pageant, after approaching various authorities had filed the case in May 2016.

Holding the passport in hand, Wangyal on Thursday told mediapersons that Sonia Gandhi being from Italy got Indian citizenship after her marriage, but he despite taking birth in India had to move from pillar to post to attain the same. Wangyal was born in Orissa in May, 1970.

"There are laws that if you marry an Indian you will get citizenship, but I couldn't prove it before the authorities concerned and was constrained to file the case. I have got it, and now my battle will go on for rest of the Tibetans in exile," he said.

This is a landmark judgment by Justice Sanjeev Sachdeva, who quashed the government's decision to ask for a citizenship certificate from Tibetans when they apply for a passport. "This has paved the way for other Tibetans to apply," he said, adding that it was in a short period of four months that the case had been decided.

"I had to file a contempt petition in February, which the court resolved later that month. Despite some police objection that I didn't have a house/property to prove that I am a permanent resident, I finally got my passport," he added.

"I have been told by an officer at the RPO Shimla that the MEA is looking into the issue and a decision may soon be taken to issue a passport to Tibetans," he said.

According to law, anybody born in India between 1950 and 1987 are citizens of India. The government of India usually issues stay permits called registration certificate (RC) and Tibetans have to get this document renewed every five years. But holder of an RC is not considered an Indian citizen.

For Tibetans to travel abroad, the Indian government issues an identity certificate (IC), popularly known as the 'yellow book' in place of a passport. "It takes at least one year to get an IC, and then each time you travel, you need to get a return visa and an exit permit, a complex and time-consuming process" he maintained.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chandigarh/first-tibetan-in-exile-gets-indian-passport/articleshow/57678734.cms

Erstvollzug

• Email
Re: First Tibetan in exile gets Indian passport
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 08:04:44 PM »
Tibetans getting Indian passports would mean they are Indian citizens and must uphold the Indian constitution.  Thereby automatically cutting out the CTA or Tibetan govt in exile. For years the CTA in Dharamsala discourages Tibetans to get an Indian passport and become Indian so that they can all return to a free Tibet. By having a Indian yellow book, they can be under the protection of India but not an Indian citizen making them loyal to CTA and still be Tibetan 'citizens'. It is a special program India created for Tibetan refugees. They get a yellow book which is their identity but are not Indian citizens. Now Tibetans can be legal Indian citizens which means they will not need a yellow book but fully fledged Indians. This will change the dynamics for their devotions and loyalties over time.

CTA is loosing control on many grounds now. As their own Tibetans are becoming Indian, going to Indian universities, becoming proficient in Indian language, holding businesses/jobs in India, owning property in India will make them less and less Tibetan by nationality and eventually mindset wise more Indian also. Many Tibetans in exile 'fighting' for Tibetan independence have never even seen Tibet. But out of the 150,000 Tibetans in India, easily 90% do not actively engage in any Free Tibet activism. They are too busy working to survive and make a daily livelihood.

CTA not obtaining Tibetan independence and autonomy for the last 50 years has greatly disheartened their own people in exile to the point they do not wish to be asserting their Tibetan nationality by holding a inconvenient yellow book anymore but opting to become Indians now. CTA has failed in their job and main responsibility which obtaining a Free or autonomous Tibet and their exiled citizens cannot wait any longer.

Too bad.

Rowntree

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 10:53:56 PM »
The CTA needed the older generations of Tibetans in exile to buy their false promise to eventually be back in Tibet in order to continue their poor me refugees card to milk more aids from the West. If more Tibetans decided to be Indian citizens, then the CTA will have no refugees to hold onto. Frankly speaking, I believe that the members of the CTA have applied different citizenships to secure their family and their own benefits. This is very obvious because they did not do anything in the past 58 years to make things better for anyone in exile. Tibetans in exile who cannot afford to go overseas will push their way through this law and get themselves an Indian citizenship for sure. The fact that this law was not reinforced says a lot about the efficiency of the Indian government as well as the CTA in procrastinating the benefits the Tibetans in exile are entitled for.

grandmapele

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 04:24:44 AM »
This is a very interesting pivotal point. Tibetans in exile now do not have to be subjected to the whims and fancy of the CTA who has created a lot of problems with their discrimination. This will give a new lease on for the Tibetans in exile. They are not stuck in limbo, stateless.

What a landmark achievement for the younger generation Tibetans who wish to move on in life.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 03:47:04 PM »
Things are really getting more interesting for the Tibetans..

The Tibetans will have much more freedom to do as they like, and travel and all that. No more being under the thumb of CTA. With more Tibetans having much more freedom, we can see their true 'self' and what they will really do.

It is always good to have more options than less options, so this is a good thing for the Tibetans.