Author Topic: Why Duldzin Drakpa Gyaltsen?  (Read 3511 times)

DharmaDefender

Why Duldzin Drakpa Gyaltsen?
« on: October 08, 2016, 04:12:00 PM »
Was talking to someone the other day who was speculating about this. His main question was why did Nechung specifically ask Duldzin Drakpa Gyaltsen to become a Dharma Protector? Why not any of the other students in the congregation at the time or why not one of Lama Tsongkhapas famous eight disciples?

So he thinks it was because Nechung knows Duldzin Drakpa Gyaltsen wouldve taken rebirth as Tulku Drakpa Gyaltsen at the time of the 5th Dalai Lama and in that period, thered be a lot of problems for the Gelugs. Nechung wanted to protect the Gelug lineage and how hed accomplish that is by ensuring a Gelug takes the throne as the secular king of Tibet, and a supreme Dharma protector manifests to protect the Gelug teachings at that time.

Since Tibets leadership is inarguably a combination of church and state, it would ensure the protection of the Gelug lineage. The 5th Dalai Lama therefore had to become king under the auspices of the Mongols and Tulku Drakpa Gyaltsen had to die to become the Dharma Protector.

Your thoughts people?

SabS

Re: Why Duldzin Drakpa Gyaltsen?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 06:50:01 PM »
Hmm, I believe that Duldzin Drakpa Gyeltsen was one of the eight famous disciples of Lama Tsongkapa. In fact he was a very close heart disciple and was the first to be offered the seat after Lama Tsongkapa's passing but chose to decline as he wished to meditate and practice. As to why Nechung chose him, my simple mind would say that Nechung didn't specifically chose Duldzin per se but Duldzin were the who spoke to Nechung, who came in form of a dove and flew around while Lama Tsongkapa was teaching. In his devotion to his Guru, he had spoken out to Nechung to stop disturbing his Guru's teachings and later when everyone left, he spoke privately to Nechung and we know of the "promise". I would say that due his pure Guru Devotion and compassion, he got himself chosen. But it would be interesting to read what others think for me to be able to learn more.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 02:05:25 PM »
I think Duldzin was the one who chose to investigate the Dove hovering around during Je tsongkhapa's teachings.

The other 8 great disciples of Lama Tsongkahpa are also no lightweights too, 2 of them were the 1/2 Gaden Tripa after Lama Tsongkhapa, and one also went on to become Pabongka DorjeChang.

Duldzin was also on the same level as Lama Tsongkhapa in terms of attainments, so Duldzin would be the prefect choice to be able to shoulder the work of 10,000 Protectors. 

grandmapele

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 05:03:04 PM »
I don't think Nechung chose Duldzin Drakpa Gyeltsen. If that was the case, then Nechung need not have flown around during Lama Tsongkhapa's teaching. It has to be more than that. Was karma, merits and motivation involved? After all, Nechung might have been flying around waiting for the one disciple of Lama Tsongkhapa who would have all the factors needed to be a Protector, to notice and confront him. I don't think at that point it was up to Nechung to choose. Duldzin Drakpa Gyeltsen in his love and concern for his Guru and Buddha dharma "volunteered".