Author Topic: Dalai Lama calls for friendship between Han and Tibetans  (Read 11294 times)

DharmaSpace

Dalai Lama calls for friendship between Han and Tibetans
« on: September 19, 2015, 01:51:05 PM »
DHARAMSHALA, September 17: The Tibetan spiritual leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama has reiterated his call for friendship between Han Chinese and Tibetan people.

Addressing a gathering of around 50 Chinese students at the St Anne’s College in Oxford on Tuesday, the 80 year old Tibetan leader said, “China is traditionally a Buddhist country, I saw many Buddhist temples and sacred places there when I visited in 1954-55. Today, there are said to be 400 million Chinese Buddhists, many of whom share an interest in the preservation of Tibetan Buddhism. I often say that historically the Han and Tibetan peoples can and should be friends.”?

During his discourse, he spoke of his three commitments – the promotion human values and happiness for all-beings, the promotion of religious harmony and preservation of Tibet's Buddhist culture of peace and non-violence.

He also stressed on the profound understanding of mind and the emotions contained in the Nalanda tradition. “Buddha’s teaching has flourished for two and a half thousand years without any reincarnation of the Buddha. Similarly, Nagarjuna’s teachings still have a widespread following despite his having no reincarnation either,” the Tibetan leader responded to a question by a Chinese student about how Tibetan Buddhism will survive without the reincarnation of the Dalai Lama. He added that Buddhism reached Tibet in the 7th century and had taken firm root without the presence of a Dalai Lama. ??

Admiring the determination and hard work of the Han people to preserve their language and culture, he said that since Tibetan is presently the language that is most fitting for explaining Buddhist ideas, it reflects narrow mindedness on the part of the Beijing government to regard its preservation as “splittist”.

He encouraged his audience to become 21st century Buddhists. He said, “Take the Buddha’s advice to heart. Don’t accept his teaching simply because he taught it. Investigate and examine it. Test it in a scientific spirit.”?

His Holiness arrived in UK on September 13 on a nine-day visit and the main event of His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s UK tour will be a public talk on ‘Compassion: the Foundation of Well-Being,’ Trust at the O2 Arena in London on Saturday.

Everyone should have friends, no man is an island of course. But why is there no call for friendship between the Dalai Lama and Dorje Shugden people? Dorje Shugden practitioners and people did not laid waste to the Tibetan homeland, caused untold suffering on its people and destroyed buddhist monasteries and treasures as well, so why is it that it is alright to be friends with China and not Dorje Shudgen people who have done next to nothing, but do their practices and do not do harm to others?

http://www.phayul.com/news/article.aspx?id=36505&article=Dalai+Lama+calls+for+friendship+between+Han+and+Tibetans

kris

Re: Dalai Lama calls for friendship between Han and Tibetans
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 02:34:47 PM »
What HH Dalai Lama said, make total sense, and many would agree without a doubt. HOWEVER, the action of CTA, the administration led by HH Dalai Lama, is not doing what HH Dalai Lama preached. Not only CTA is not friendly towards China, CTA purposely plant the seed of hatred towards Chinese people.

On the social media, it is not difficult to find many hatred & hostility towards Chinese, China government from Tibetans. I would put the blame on CTA because CTA keep planting the seed of hatred in the Tibetans, so much so that many Tibetans hate ALL Chinese regardless.

I do hope HH Dalai Lama can guide CTA onto the right path, to stop hate game, because it does not work.

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 08:49:56 AM »
What HH Dalai Lama said, make total sense, and many would agree without a doubt. HOWEVER, the action of CTA, the administration led by HH Dalai Lama, is not doing what HH Dalai Lama preached. Not only CTA is not friendly towards China, CTA purposely plant the seed of hatred towards Chinese people.

On the social media, it is not difficult to find many hatred & hostility towards Chinese, China government from Tibetans. I would put the blame on CTA because CTA keep planting the seed of hatred in the Tibetans, so much so that many Tibetans hate ALL Chinese regardless.

I do hope HH Dalai Lama can guide CTA onto the right path, to stop hate game, because it does not work.

If only the CTA would listen to His Holiness and not be a pawn in the political game of the West. Even China themselves has changed from a Communist economic to a Capitalistic economy essentially, while retaining a central communist ideology government.
The CTA on the other hand has not progress and even went on to blame Shugden for its failure and at the same time create more disharmony and sufferings for its own people.
The world will judge the CTA and unfortunately the Dalai Lama on these failure in the future.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 05:20:50 PM »
In most of His public talks, the Dalai Lama had expressed the beauty of Buddhism which is Bodhichitta and Sunyata. What is very perplexing is that in actions, the CTA has dispensed disharmony, discrimination and segregation among the people.

Dorje Shugden devotees are punished for their belief and CTA has done that.  Is CTA that distant from the Dalai Lama and Buddhism?  Then what does CTA stand for?

fruven

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 12:13:47 AM »
DHARAMSHALA, September 17: The Tibetan spiritual leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama has reiterated his call for friendship between Han Chinese and Tibetan people.

Addressing a gathering of around 50 Chinese students at the St Anne’s College in Oxford on Tuesday, the 80 year old Tibetan leader said, “China is traditionally a Buddhist country, I saw many Buddhist temples and sacred places there when I visited in 1954-55. Today, there are said to be 400 million Chinese Buddhists, many of whom share an interest in the preservation of Tibetan Buddhism. I often say that historically the Han and Tibetan peoples can and should be friends.”?

What about the Tibetans? They should walk the talk instead of hating the Chinese. How much CTA has done to improve their relationship with the Chinese government?

If one is always close-minded, and acting barbaric who wants to be your friend? Think!

grandmapele

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 08:30:45 AM »
The Buddha taught gratitude, equanimity and compassion. The Dalai Lama said that is the way. But, what confuses me is why are there different standards for different people and region?

If he is calling for friendship between Han and Tibetans, why do the followers of Dalai Lama call Dorje Shugden practitioners Chinese dogs? What does that mean? Can they at least be consistent?

angelica

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 04:26:07 PM »
HHDL's 3 commitments!!!!!! Is the Dorje Shugden issue included in his commitments? Dorje Shugden practitioners need freedom to do their practice, be happy and have good relationship with other Buddhists too. One hand cannot clap alone, in order for friendship, it need the efforts from 2 parties.

HHDL, out of compassion, please lift the ban to end the suffering of the Dorje Shugden practitioners, and end the accumulation of negative karma of those harming the Dorje Shugden practitioners. 

prodorjeshugden

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 06:39:00 AM »
I almost laughed when i saw this post. I'm starting to think everything that the Dalai Lama said is false or contrary.
The Dalai Lama keeps talking about separating Shugden worshipers and non Dorje Shugden practitioners, but here he is talking about unity, so should we believe in Unity or Segregation ?

The anti Shugden people and the Shugden people ask this question every once in a while, To believe in the Dalai Lama which mean segregation, disharmony and ostracism or to believe in the world or other leaders which mean freedom, Unity and peace.
Han and Chinese, it really doesn't sound any different from Dorje Shugden and anti Dorje Shugden does it? We are all humans and humans no matter where should be entitled to freedom, harmony and unity.

vajrastorm

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 12:01:36 PM »
In addressing a group of Chinese students in Oxford University, UK, the Dalai Lama reiterated  his call for friendship between Han Chinese and Tibetan people. He went on to say that "historically the Han and Tibetan peoples can and should be friends.” Historically for 400 years all Shugden and non-Shugden people, high Lamas and laypeople, had been friends. Then, the Dalai Lama said he had made a mistake about his 40 years of practice of Shugden; and His Holiness imposed the ban on Shugden practice in 1996. Overnight, friends became enemies.Historically, there is little, indeed no, reason for Shugden and non-Shugden people not to be friends. May the Dalai Lama lift the ban so that Shugden and non-Shugden people can unite and become friends once again.

The Dalai Lama spoke of his three commitments – the promotion of human values and happiness for all-beings, the promotion of religious harmony and preservation of Tibet's Buddhist culture of peace and non-violence. May the Dalai Lama manifest these commitments in lifting the ban on Shugden practice so that suffering of Shugden practitioners will end, harmony within the Tibetan Buddhist community will prevail,  conflict and violence against Shugden people will stop, and peace will reign over all once more.

Matibhadra

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 11:26:17 PM »
The Dalai Lama spoke of his three commitments – the promotion of human values and happiness for all-beings, the promotion of religious harmony and preservation of Tibet's Buddhist culture of peace and non-violence.

There must be some translation mistake. The three commitments of the evil dalie are well known to be 1) the promotion of the colonialist interests of his Western puppet-masters at the expense of the Tibetan people's interests; 2) the promotion of his own wish-wash pseudo-Buddhist personality cult, thus persecuting uncomplying pure Buddhist traditions; and 3) the promotion of another absolute, ruthless, Western serving theocracy, not unlike Saudi Arabia, the Islamic State Caliphate, and other terrorist organizations.

Shugdener

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 03:14:33 PM »
It is wonderful that H.H the Dalai Lama is encouraging the Han and Tibetans and I respect and applaud him for doing that. It is good to see him encouraging these two groups of citizens to make peace with each other and to put the past behind them.

However, what about the ban on Dorje Shugden? Why is it that he is encouraging the Hans and Tibetans to make peace when he Himself and the CTA have been and are still creating "unrest" between both Dorje Shuden and non Dorje Shugden practitioners?

Thousands of people especially those in the monasteries have been separated all because some choose to practice Dorje Shugden and some gave in to pressure to stop worshiping Dorje Shugden.

Wouldn't it be fairly simple to unite all these people and bring peace and harmony once again by lifting this ban?

Pema8

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 07:46:18 AM »
Again it is so obvious how differently Dorje Shugden practitioners are treated versus all other religions. H.H. Brings it out to the highest - everyone is accepted - everyone - except Dorje Shugden practitioners.

How can anyone uphold such a position in front of the whole world. H.H. is such highly recognised that it doesn't appeal to many people who are not familiar with the Dorje Shugden issue to give credit to him instead of verifying by themselves.

This is really scary. As long as you are popular and have good Public relations you can even commit crimes against your own people and noone will even bother.

May there be soon a solution and the ban removed.

kris

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 10:39:03 AM »
There have been so much hatred between Tibetans and Chinese. I understand it is Chinese has done something terrible in 1959, but more than 50 years has passed and if CTA is still encouraging the hatred between these 2 "nations", it is not going to end. HH Dalai Lama have said many times that DIALOGUE is the only way to resolve any issues, and I think it is time His government CTA would apply what has been taught.

It is time to let go of the hatred.

grandmapele

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2016, 10:56:13 AM »
As the years go by, I can't keep comparing whats happening here with what happened to the Christians during the Roman era. The Christians were persecuted and tortured by that only affirmed their believes and faith. Sad, but guess Dorje Shugden practitioners have to tough it out. Maybe the glimmer of hope here is that maybe, just maybe the world at large will pay a bit of attention to their plight.

SabS

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 05:51:02 PM »
Oh dear, I guess the Dalai Lama did promote his 3 commitments publicly but certainly his actions does not. Failed on all 3 counts. Urmmm and friendship with the Han? Well, I would say that friendship with the Hans would be a stretch when his administrative government, CTA and his followers hurl abusive words at China and her people at every possible chance that they have.

One thing he said was right though, we should “Take the Buddha’s advice to heart. Don’t accept his teaching simply because he taught it. Investigate and examine it. Test it in a scientific spirit.” Why did the Dalai Lama not emphasize this with his followers when they leap into believing his lie of Dorje Shugden being a "spirit"? How I wish the Dalai Lama will swiftly manifest his true nature of Avalokitesvara and stop all the contradictory teachings and actions.