Author Topic: How to have a guru and receive initiations without traveling???  (Read 5410 times)

Maxwell89

• Email
How to have a guru and receive initiations without traveling???
« on: January 28, 2015, 08:04:37 PM »
Hello, my name is Max, and I have been practicing Buddhism for the last 7 or 8 years without a formal "guru", mainly because I have no way to travel... What should I do? I live in Tulsa Oklahoma right in the center of the Bible Belt where there's not a lot of support.

Thank you
Max

psylotripitaka

Re: How to have a guru and receive initiations without traveling???
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 01:12:41 AM »
Max,

You can contact the Kadampa Meditation Center in Texas:

http://kadampa.org/centers/kmc-texas

And request teachings in your area. It is quite possible there already is.

As far as travel is concerned, there are many ways to travel, and some of these include financial aid. If you really want teachings, you can ask the Protector for help, and take what practical steps you can to make it happen, whether that is to a local Center or to other areas where there are events or a teacher you feel affinity with.

cookie

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 03:31:12 AM »
Dear Max,
There are also many other Buddhists websites or portals which you can learn Buddhists teachings from. There are endless good youtube teachings too. Some of these portals provide "question and answer" sections. There are also online stores where you can purchase the prayer items or implements or books etc to help you practice. Some of these websites also have highly attained Gurus that you may take refuge in. There is no need to be geographically be in the same location as your Guru. Some students learn just as well or even better being far away. Some students are very close proximity to the Guru but find it hard to change. The Guru will skillfully keep them close to prevent them from committing more negative karma.
At the end of the day it is your own effort, sincerity and motivation to want to acquire good virtues and values in your life.
May you successfully get on with your Dharma studies always be blessed by the 3 Jewels !

p.s this website ds.com too is a great place to learn lots of authentic Buddhists teachings.

kris

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 05:51:53 PM »
I agree with @cookie that there are websites and youtube channel with great Buddhist teachings, I hope you can find what you need there.

But I do get that you want to get initiations, and from what I understand, you will need a guru, and there are quite a lot of protocol / preparations before the initiation. I wonder in modern world, if we can receive initiation through Skype..

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 11:18:28 AM »
Dear Maxwell89,

Since your posting on this topic, I hope that you have made progress in your Dharma practice.  Hope that you are well and happy.

eyesoftara

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 03:05:26 AM »
One can research and view articles, book and videos of Gurus all through the internet and choose the root Guru depending on who impact you the most. One much take the time to "select" as in the 50 Stanzas of Guru Devotion. Once decided we can make offerings and prayer; assuming one cannot meet the Guru physically, then in front of the Guru's photo and generate the request that one has taken that Guru and the root Guru. Then, everyday do the Guru Yoga prayers or whatever Guru prayers that the Guru's lineage and hence your lineage everyday and practice the Dharma according to the lineage.
Hence, it is important that one much research well and the decision must be made based also on the availability of the Guru's lineage practice. Also, one can try to contact the Guru for this and on taking refuge with him.

On initiations, I do not think it is possible without taking it directly with a Tantric who can be the Guru or any others that the Guru prescribes.

But taking refuge is possible and a must for any other practices to be given and effective practiced.