Author Topic: Pro-shugden protesters have right to protest, Dalai Lama says  (Read 3938 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Pro-shugden protesters have right to protest, Dalai Lama says
« on: October 31, 2014, 10:37:43 AM »
what do you think?

Pro - shugden protesters have right to protest, Dalai Lama says
http://www.phayul.com/news/article.aspx?id=35427&article=Pro+-+shugden+protesters+have+right+to+protest,+Dalai+Lama+says

Phayul[Tuesday, October 28, 2014 22:00]
By Phuntsok Yangchen

DHARAMSHALA, October 28: The Tibetan spiritual leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama, currently on visit to the US, said the pro-shugden protesters demonstrating outside the venues of his talks have the right to freedom of speech. However, the Tibetan leader also thanked those who had come to express their support for him. "Thank you," said the Tibetan leader.

A small number of pro-shugden protesters stood outside the venue with signs and banners accusing the Tibetan leader of infringing upon their religious rights. One banner even referred to the Tibetan leader as "false Dalai Lama", angering several Tibetans and Buddhists.

The Tibetan leader says he was himself a follower of Dorje Shugden but that he later quit in 1975 for reasons he describes as "strong sectarian overtones" and "a history of contributing to a climate of sectarian disharmony" among the four traditions of Tibetan Buddhism. The Tibetan leader denounces the worship of Dorje Shugden as "spirit worship" and fears that the propitiation of it might degenerate the "rich tradition of Tibetan Buddhism" into "mere propitiation of spirits."

The Tibetan leader was speaking on Monday to some four hundred Tibetans who had travelled from Atlanta, New York and New Jersey and Minnesota to Birmingham, Alabama. The Tibetan leader regularly meets with the local Tibetan communities in the cities he visits around the world.

The Tibetan leader said young Tibetans both in exile and Tibet must acquire good education for a self reliant community.

The Tibetan leader encouraged the Tibetans to pursue the goal of earning money in the US but reminded that they must use their hard-earned money purposefully for the common good.

The 1989 Nobel Laureate also expressed his hope for possible change in China with younger generation of communist leaders gradually coming at the helm. He said, "while the present leadership is made up of people who remember the hardships of the Cultural Revolution, there is a new generation who have experienced freedom and democracy when studying abroad and that when these people come to power there will be a change."

The Dalai Lama, who is known for his commitment to religious harmony, later took part in an interfaith dialogue "Beyond Belief" at the Alabama Theater in Birmingham, Alabama.

He said it is universal that everybody wants to achieve happiness and dispel sorrow but that the approach to achieve happiness must be realistic. “We need to look at the situation from all angles to assess our goal. After thorough examination of whether it can be achieved, we need to judge whether it can be done in a short or long time. That which can be done easily, we should do. That which will take more time, we should be patient about. We have to be truthful and honest, which will attract moral support as people come to trust us. Patience as we wait to take action is a kind of compassionate mind. Impatience on the other hand can be a source of failure,” he added.

The 79 year old Tibetan leader further noted that the existing education systems around the world must inculcate inner values in schools. “No matter how wonderful a religious tradition may be it will not appeal to everyone, so we need a more universal way to teach warm-heartedness and compassion.”

On October 30, His Holiness will give a day-long Buddhist teaching based on Geshe Langri Thangpa's Eight Verses of Training the Mind (lojong tsikgyema) and confer the Generation of Bodhicitta (semkye) organized by the Vietnamese Buddhist community at the Wang Centre for Performing Arts in Boston, Massachusetts.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Re: Pro-shugden protesters have right to protest, Dalai Lama says
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 02:11:09 PM »
I think this article will give fodder to those who believe in the "HH Dalai Lama and Dorje Shugden working together" hypothesis in that the Dalai Lama appears to be tacitly giving approval or endorsement for Dorje Shugden practitioners to protest against him.

For a Phayul article, it is remarkably nonchalant about the Shugden issue. Perhaps another possible relaxation on the vitriol against Dorje Shugden by the Dalai Lama? I can dream :)
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Gabby Potter

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 10:41:55 PM »
I agree with what Wisdom Being has written here, it definitely gives courage to practitioners who believe that His Holiness the Dalai Lama is actually working with Dorje Shugden secretly to spread the Buddha Dharma, I'm one of the believers :) May the ban be lifted very swiftly and smoothly.

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 09:38:32 AM »
I agree with what Wisdom Being has written here, it definitely gives courage to practitioners who believe that His Holiness the Dalai Lama is actually working with Dorje Shugden secretly to spread the Buddha Dharma, I'm one of the believers :) May the ban be lifted very swiftly and smoothly.

Perhaps this is a sign that the Dalai Lama is relenting? Hopefully. But before we need to keep letting the world know about the ban. Perhaps that is what is need and what the Dalai Lama prescribes. I rejoice is that is the case and it sure looks like the case.

The Dalai Lama is a master public relation guru, we can call him PR Guru (no insult intended, only praise). Because the result is that the practice of the Protector is more popular ever outside of Tibet and Tibetan communities. It is reminiscence of Lord  Atisha leaving India on the brink of Buddhism's destruction in India and depositing the entire teachings in Tibet. Only now we have Buddhism deposited pervasively and on the Internet.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 09:43:10 AM »
I wonder if agreeing that Pro-shugden devotees have the right to protest is a form of the Dalai Lama relenting or is it a case that the protests do not effect Him nor evoke compassion?

With the appropriate permits, the Shugden devotees can protest peacefully without the Dalai Lama's consent. Please bear in mind that these protests are conducted in major world cities and definitely legal.

It is this nonchalant conduct of the Dalai Lama, that makes me think that it is perhaps His wish to have the Ban on and discrediting Dorje Shugden lineage.  It is good to note that these days, there is good valid information on the internet to allow interested parties to know more and more about the truth of this great Dharmapala, Dorje Shugden.

May the ban be lifted.