Author Topic: From Fashion To Buddhism.  (Read 6960 times)

Klein

From Fashion To Buddhism.
« on: October 11, 2014, 09:55:51 AM »
This article is shows how a person in an industry that focuses on external beauty and creativity can still give it all up for the pursuit of Enlightenment. As the heading states, "From Fashion to Buddhism, Could you give up everything that defines you for the sake of enlightenment?" When we think deeper, we don't give up anything, we actually liberate ourselves from the false illusion of the "self".

The following excerpt of the article is good to share with atheists.

"When I was working on my most recent range an American friend said he finds it bizarre how I can be a Buddhist and function in the fashion industry. I said to him that you can work in any industry, no matter how bitchy or catty and still be Buddhist. If you don't associate, rise to or put yourself in those negative situations, 9 times out of 10 you don't find yourself in them. Some of my friends are Atheist and say that they don't believe in Buddhism. My response to them is, even if it is all hocus pocus, and karma, reincarnation, and merit do not exist? At least I am learning a psychology of how to simplify my life and how to do every action out of kindness... Surely something good will come from that?"

Click here for the rest of the article.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/daniel-warner/from-fashion-to-buddhism-_b_3004524.html 

eyesoftara

Re: From Fashion To Buddhism.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 06:38:27 AM »
This article is very inspiring to aspiring buddhist and practicing buddhist alike. Buddhism is suitable for all strata of society regardless of which profession the buddhist has. Mark Thomas Taylor is correct in saying that even if karma, reincarnation and merits don't exist, at least the buddhist can earn a psychology of how to simplify life and how to do every action out of kindness. This is the fundamental of Buddhism.

I am inclined to say since I am a practicing Vajrayana Buddhist, that Vajrayana or Tibetan Buddhism is the most suitable for people in any sort of profession due to its emphasis of practical  applications of the principle of buddhism instead of strictly sticking to renunciation of worldly pleasures because renunciation is about the aspiration to leave the cycle of rebirth and knowing phenomena as impermanent and hence the non grasping to these worldly pleasures. In other words, we can still enjoy this life and yet gain enlightenment.
This to me is the key to spread Buddhism to all strata of society and market Buddhism as the no.1 religion for the world.

Midakpa

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 11:46:00 PM »
Except for the five kinds of wrong livelihoods that are discouraged for lay people because of the dishonest means of making a living, the other occupations are acceptable in Buddhism. Thus, people in the field of fashion can certainly become Buddhists. Many are good people and are morally upright. The world of fashion is a tough world and people in this profession suffer from a lot of stress and aggravation. In fact, through their practice, Buddhists in this profession will be of benefit to others in the same field.

angelica

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 03:10:55 PM »
Buddhism is about our daily life, is a transformation for us to be someone better for our self, for other beings and our environment. Buddha gave 84000 teachings for people to achievement enlightenment. The different teaching is for people with different needs. Therefore, whichever industry we are in, Buddhism can definitely fit in. Rejoice to Mark Thomas Taylor that he is able to apply Buddhism in his life and his fashion industry. May he be able to bring dharma to others in the same industry and those that love his fashion.

MoMo

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 01:17:17 PM »
For most, when eastern religion such as Buddhism was mentioned. Many will automatically drawn to the stereotype conclusions that one must be a monk or a yogi seated cross legged or one simply living in simplicity of no urge or desire for luxuries. The doctrines of Buddhism based loving-kindness and altruism as whole could applied to all whether one believe in reincarnation or repercussion of Karma in future.
There’re many teachings of Buddhism that could practice for the immediate benefit of this live and experiences it results, such as ethic and morality, loving-kindness shown to others, gentle and truthful speech…etc. which are universally accepted by all. As long as one have full intact faculty to be able discern between what is righteous from wrong regardless of one outward appearance, social status, wealth.
The five wrong livelihoods as mentioned by Midakpa are 1. Trading of weapons. 2. Trading of human such as slavery 3. Trading of intoxicant such as alcohol or narcotic. 4. Trading in poison. 5. Trading of flesh such as butcher or Killing of animal which are prohibited because of it nature of causing harm to others which is against Buddhism principle of non-harming.

kris

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
thanks for sharing this inspiring story :) i agree that no matter what industry a person is in, he/she cannot use that as an excuse not to practice Dharma. I have heard many lamas said before that the best time to practice Dharma is when we are not doing our prayers, in another words, we should incorporate Dhrama into our daily life. However, when we are just starting our spiritual journey and our mind is not so strong yet, it is better to be doing a job which is easier to practice. I must say that fashion industry do have a lot of distractions :)

RedLantern

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 12:19:09 PM »

Buddhism,however,assumes there is no fixed,stable "self". In line with impermanence,our cells,memories,thoughts,and personal narratives-all of the "matter" that ultimately comprises our identities- change over time.
The idea of constant self is yet another story our culture has told us.It is a story we can change,and thereby accept the idea that we ourselves can change- anytime,in any place. As Thich Nhat Hanh says, "Thanks to impermanence,anything is possible"
Once we let go of our attachment to the idea of constant "self" we can rest comfortably in the constant change present in all of life.
Rejoice to Mark Thomas Taylor for incorporating Dharma into his daily life, the best time to practice Dharma.

Shugdener

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 03:47:13 PM »
This story is another clear example to those who procrastinate when it comes to Dharma and then blame it on their work that's keeping them too busy.

It's not really a problem to work on one end and at the same time practice the Dharma as long as, whenever the time that we do our prayers, meditations and etc we focus solely on our prayers and what we are praying for and we do it with a clear and focused mind.

I am very happy to read of and know more and more Westerners turning to Buddhism and finding it very helpful in their busy and stressful lives.

Pema8

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 07:30:12 AM »
Choosing to change from samsara to dharma is appealling  to more and more. Being fed up with the consumer world, for who living life to the fullest is to have material things - expensive house, expensive car,  expensive holidays - and this is especially true in the fashion world.

This young person has realised that these things doesn't make us happy. It is how we live our life and how many we can benefit. The goal is mindtransformation.

I wish for Mark Thomas Taylor to achieve the ultimate goal as a Buddhist monk.