Author Topic: Dalai Lama speaks out against caste based discrimination, but how about Shugden  (Read 10743 times)

Namdrol

• Email
taken from dorjeshugden.com front page: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/?p=40313

Recently the Dalai Lama visited Zanskar and speaks out against caste based discrimination:

“I found out that some castes were considered lower caste and others don’t eat and drink with them”…

“Monks also don’t go to their house to perform prayers”…

“But I went along with them and took a picture with them”…

“It is against Buddha’s teaching that in some part of Tibet monasteries don’t enroll people who belongs to a family of blacksmith or butcher”…

……

Dear Your Holiness the Dalai Lama, would you please also proclaim that Dorje Shugden practitioners and non-practitoners can eat and drink together? And monks can go to Dorje Shugden practitioners’ houses to perform prayers? Would you also take a pictures with other Dorje Shugden lamas please? Would great Gelug monasteries like Ganden, Drepung, Sera also enroll people who practises Dorje Shugden, and not expel them instead?

Dear Your Holiness, would you please do the same for the Dorje Shugden people what you advocated for the discriminated Zanskar people?

Admin
www.dorjeshugden.com

Dalai Lama speaks out against caste based discrimination in Zanskar

Phayul [Friday, June 27, 2014 23:46]

By Phuntsok Yangchen

DHARAMSHALA, June 27: The Tibetan spiritual leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama on Wednesday concluded teachings and Avalokiteshvara initiation in Padum, Zanskar, calling upon the local people to eliminate the practice of caste based discrimination.

“Earlier during my one visit to Ladakh, I found out that some castes were considered lower caste and others don’t eat and drink with them. Monks also don’t go to their house to perform prayers. This practice was called as Serlam Ched (barred from prayer rituals). But I went along with them and took a picture with them,” said the Dalai Lama.

“I have also heard of caste discrimination practices in Zanskar and had suggested it would be good if a lower caste person served me my tea and bread some years ago. But to my disappointment, right after my talk, a case of caste discrimination was reported from here. This is very sad. If you don’t listen and act as I say, I don’t need to come here and you can do whatever you like. If you have believe and faith in me, do as I say.”

He further said that it is against Buddha’s teaching that in some part of Tibet monasteries don’t enroll people who belongs to a family of blacksmith or butcher.

original article: http://www.phayul.com/news/article.aspx?id=35034&article=Dalai+Lama+speaks+out+against+caste+based+discrimination+in+Zanskar

Blueupali

• Email
That would be really helpful if the Dalai Lama would speak out against discrimination toward Shugden followers, that we could eat at the same table, that we are all one people.
  I wish there were someway we could ask him to do this, that he would actually hear or read...?

dondrup

Buddhism advocates compassion and love for all sentient beings.  His Holiness cannot promote non-discrimination while He practises discrimination against the Dorje Shugden followers. It is simply illogical! His Holiness could not be more hypocritical! Please do not tarnish the image of Tibetan Buddhism by your seemingly 'pure' actions.

Blueupali

• Email
Buddhism advocates compassion and love for all sentient beings.  His Holiness cannot promote non-discrimination while He practises discrimination against the Dorje Shugden followers. It is simply illogical! His Holiness could not be more hypocritical! Please do not tarnish the image of Tibetan Buddhism by your seemingly 'pure' actions.

So the issue here is that the Dalai Lama of course sounds good to everybody around the world who don't know much about Buddhism--- so he doesn't like caste, just like Buddha, just like Ghandi.  He tells people to listen to what he says; now the caste system, just like liking Christains, liking Hindus, etc., only makes his image look good; so it is fine for him politically; what the Dalai Lamas of Tibet have historically been, is a bunch of politicians masterminded by ministers and court corruption, just like the kings of Europe.... so the Dalai Lama, this 14th recognition, steps out into the global scene, and has to play politics in the modern world.  The west of course, likes his teddy bear monk image, of this peaceful guy that like, is so tolerant and open minded.  That tolerance and open-mindedness really seems a sham as he continues playing politics, just like the recognitions before him, to as many people as he can.  yes of course I am open minded and equal if it is something the west understands and can pay attention to.... no one knows what a Dharma Protector is generally speaking--- in the U.S., for instance, unless they happen to be Vajrayana Buddhist.... they really are not tuned in too much to Buddhism.... so if we say the Dalai Lama doesn't like a pratice and is discriminating, and then he and his cronies make up a bunch of nonsense about how he really, being a man of peace, couldn't do that.... then... the issue is that Americans, and maybe other westerners having no concept of what anyone is even talking about.... believe the fuzzy ewok mystical dude in burgandy.... without realizing that he's been doing this nonsense for centuries, and that he lies all the time... not just this recognition, but especially the 5th Dalai recognition was a very malevolent guy, killing Kagyus right and left, converting monasteries, having his rival Gelugpa murdered, the latter of whom arose as a manifestation of Manjushri, Dorje Shugden.
  On the upside to this though, this guy is manipulated by politics so maybe if we make him look politically bad then he will reverse course so the Shugden ban will stop....

christine V

• Email
Why is Dalai Lama so bias?

Speaking compassion for other religion, other people but no compassion for own Tibetan, own lineage, own refugees.

Again and again imposed injustice ban towards Dorje Shugden practitioner. No dialogue, no debate, nothing to clarify the nature of this ban.

Worst, recently denied there are ban.
Come on! Please act in equanimity Please.

Manisha Kudo

• Email
???I personally have problems with the Dalai Lama telling the world to listen to what he says and do as he requests because it is all about him. Then I wonder if he is genuinely concerned about the well being and liberty of a person.  :-\ It is certainly more about how he feels and looks to the world when he condemns the Zanskar. And it is the same with regards to Dorje Shugden.

rossoneri

• Email
H.H.T.D.L can't you do the same and treat all the Dorje Shugden practitioners the same way as the way you had preached in Zanskar. Why you can act so compassionately towards other matters and when it comes to Dorje Shugden you are not acting the same any more. Please Your Holiness, please lift the ban already and stop all the sufferings immediately.

Blueupali

• Email
???I personally have problems with the Dalai Lama telling the world to listen to what he says and do as he requests because it is all about him. Then I wonder if he is genuinely concerned about the well being and liberty of a person.  :-\ It is certainly more about how he feels and looks to the world when he condemns the Zanskar. And it is the same with regards to Dorje Shugden.

I have never heard a valid teacher of Buddhism talk this way; normally they (rightly) say it is up to us to decide whether to take their advice--- and they mean that--- they don't really try to force you to do what they want---
  Yes, Buddhists aren't supposed to follow caste--- Buddha didn't like caste.
  Buddhists are also supposed to teach the tantra properly and not be dogmatic--- but I guess the Dalai Lama picks and chooses based on what is convenient?

kris

There are indeed many contradictions between the teachings from HH Dalai Lama and what He practice. He talked about compassion yet allows Dorje Shugden practitioners to suffer; He talked about equality (like what he talked about different caste) but outcast the Dorje Shugden practitioners; and the list goes on.

In front of the western world and in Buddhism teachings, he talks about love and compassion; but in front of the Tibetans, HH Dalai Lama openly discriminate and reprimand Dorje Shugden practitioners.

What is the logic for this contradiction??

pgdharma

Dalai Lama always talk about compassion, equality, peace, harmony and tolerance. During his visit to Zanskar he even speaks out against caste discrimination. Has he ever thought of speaking out against Dorje Shugden discrimination? Has he ever thought of how the Dorje Shugden practitioners had to suffer because of this discrimination?

vajrastorm

HH Dalai Lama, giving teachings and Avalokiteshvara initiation, in Zanskar, lashes out at caste-based discrimination, saying that this is against Lord Buddha's teachings. As an emanation of Chenrezig and giving Avalokiteshvara initiation, it is very acceptable, that Dalai Lama should speak up for compassion, which is the cornerstone of Buddhism. Only, when it comes to the subject of Dorje Shugden practitioners, he throws compassion to the winds.

The Dalai Lama is outrageously contradictory in his policy of discrimination against Shugden practitioners. He must realize that he is losing credibility as a messenger of peace and love. How could this winner of the Nobel Peace award come down so hard on Shugden practitioners to the extent of outlawing them and allowing the violence and atrocities against them?

lotus1

“I found out that some castes were considered lower caste and others don’t eat and drink with them”…

“Monks also don’t go to their house to perform prayers”…

“But I went along with them and took a picture with them”…

“It is against Buddha’s teaching that in some part of Tibet monasteries don’t enroll people who belongs to a family of blacksmith or butcher”…

Yes, HH Dalai Lama is very contradicting with regards to Dorje Shugden matter. He is very contradicting on his public statements on Dorje Shugden matters. 
(http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/the-controversy/contradiction-in-the-dalai-lamas-public-statements/ )

HH Dalai Lama won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989. He symbolizes peace, compassion and loving kindness to most people. However, why would he keep quiet to the CTA publishing hit lists of Tibetan involved in protest? (http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/features/tibetan-leadership-publishes-hit-list/)

Why would he be ok on all the violence to Dorje Shugden practitioners including monks (http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/the-controversy/cta-creates-violence-again/)? and keep quiet on the letter from United Front of the Tibetan People to ask people to harm others (http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/features/shocking-letter/)

Why would he allowing the discrimination to the Dorje Shugden practitioners? (http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/the-controversy/ctas-subtle-discrimination/)

Why would he allowing the attacks at Domo Geshe Rinpoche Ladrang? (http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/news/2nd-attack-on-domo-geshe-rinpoches-monastery/)

Is he approving the attacks on ISC members? (http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/the-controversy/dalai-lama-approves-attacks-on-isc-members/)

??? ??? ???

maricisun

• Email
Does the Dalai Lama knows that he is so unfair and bias as he openly speaks out against caste based discrimination but not about anti Dorje Shugden practitioners?
HHDL is compassionate to even take photos with the lower caste people when no monks will want to go to their houses so why the discrimination against DS?
The DS practitioners have done nothing wrong in practicing DS but they are also caste down upon in their own country.
Shouldn't the ban be lifted?

jamyang_sonam

• Email
we would like to hear the same from H.H Dalai Lama, to stop discrimination towards the Dorje Shugden Practitioners. It is also against Buddha's teaching to cause confusion and cause violence towards another sentient being, especially to the Sangha who is practicing Dorje Shugden, yet was persecuted beaten by the Tibetan due to the Ban.

Dear H.H Dalai Lama, we seek your compassion to speak against the ban and discrimination against Dorje Shugden practice, and lift the ban and clear any confusion on the ban.

Big Uncle

All I can say about this is that the Dalai Lama really should just give up the ban/ restriction on Dorje Shugden. Someone has got to really ask very nicely to please remove the ban and allow religious freedom because the ban undermining everything that the Dalai Lama talks about and shares in the Dharma especially on the topic of compassion. It also undermines everything that the Dalai Lama stands for and as more and more people find out the truth of what's happening to Shugden practitioners, it will create grave misunderstandings about Buddhism that it is alright to do so not just to Shugden practitioners and to whomever is deemed our enemy.