Author Topic: Vegetarianism in Buddhism  (Read 18688 times)

lightning

Re: Vegetarianism in Buddhism
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2014, 11:30:22 AM »
Small | Large

lightning

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2014, 04:44:34 PM »
I urge everyone who know Chinese here, please kindly see this clip and stop spreading wrong views about vegetarianism in Buddhism. After seeing this clip it will break wrong views about vegetarianism.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2014, 04:17:31 AM »
Lightning,

How about you give us a list of essential points from the video since many people on this site don't speak Chinese.

Midakpa

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2014, 06:15:06 AM »
On meat eating and uncleanliness by Buddha Shakyamuni:

"Taking life, beating, cutting, binding, stealing, lying, fraud, deceit, pretence at knowledge, adultery; this is uncleanliness and not the eating of flesh.

When men are rough and harsh, back biting, treacherous, without compassion, haughty, ungenerous and do not give anything to anybody; this is uncleanliness and not the eating of flesh.

Anger, pride, obstinacy, antagonism, hypocrisy, envy, ostentation, pride of opinion, intercourse with the unrighteous; this is uncleanliness and not the eating of flesh.

When men are of bad morals, refuse to pay their debts, slanderers, deceitful in their dealings, pretenders, when the vilest of men commit foul deeds; this is uncleanliness and not the eating of flesh.

When men attack living beings either because of greed or hostility, and are always bent upon evil, they go to darkness after death and fall headlong into hell; this is uncleanliness and not the eating of flesh.

Jivaka, I have declared that one should not make use of meat if it has been seen, heard or suspected to have been killed on purpose for a monk. I allow the monks meat that is quite pure in three respects: if it is not seen, heard or suspected to have been killed on purpose for a monk."
                                                                                                                      (S. Amagandha Sutta)

Midakpa

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2014, 06:59:35 AM »
In Pali and Sanskrit, pindapata means "alms food". It is the food received in the alms bowl of an ordained person. By extension, pindapata has come to mean the "alms round" that monks make each morning to accept alms from lay people. There are rules found in all Buddhist traditions concerning the proper ways of receiving and consuming alms food. In the Pali vinaya, for example, this food must be received and consumed between dawn and noon and may consist of five types: cooked rice, baked or roasted flour, pulse and rice, fish and meat. The monk may not, on his own initiative, intimate to the donor that he desires food or a specific kind of food; indeed, the monk makes little if any acknowledgement of receiving the food, but simply accepts whatever is offered and continues along his route.

This tradition is similar to the practice during the Buddha's time and is still followed in some countries.

(Robert E. Buswell Jr & Donald S. Lopez Jr.," The Princeton Dictionary of Buddhism")

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2014, 12:52:24 AM »
I am sure that staunch vegetarians would criticise this as a justification to eat meat but i see it as the truth. It's better to be a good, kind and virtuous person than someone who is nasty but says i don't eat meat because of compassion. I'd rather you eat meat and BE a good person. Stop being a nasty, judgmental, greedy, lying, hypocritical, holier-than-thou a**h*** and then you'll be a good representative of vegetarianism and your faith!

On meat eating and uncleanliness by Buddha Shakyamuni:

"Taking life, beating, cutting, binding, stealing, lying, fraud, deceit, pretence at knowledge, adultery; this is uncleanliness and not the eating of flesh.

When men are rough and harsh, back biting, treacherous, without compassion, haughty, ungenerous and do not give anything to anybody; this is uncleanliness and not the eating of flesh.

Anger, pride, obstinacy, antagonism, hypocrisy, envy, ostentation, pride of opinion, intercourse with the unrighteous; this is uncleanliness and not the eating of flesh.

When men are of bad morals, refuse to pay their debts, slanderers, deceitful in their dealings, pretenders, when the vilest of men commit foul deeds; this is uncleanliness and not the eating of flesh.

When men attack living beings either because of greed or hostility, and are always bent upon evil, they go to darkness after death and fall headlong into hell; this is uncleanliness and not the eating of flesh.

Jivaka, I have declared that one should not make use of meat if it has been seen, heard or suspected to have been killed on purpose for a monk. I allow the monks meat that is quite pure in three respects: if it is not seen, heard or suspected to have been killed on purpose for a monk."
                                                                                                                      (S. Amagandha Sutta)
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being