Author Topic: H.H. Ganden Tripa letter - April 2009  (Read 11760 times)

Heartspoon

H.H. Ganden Tripa letter - April 2009
« on: July 12, 2009, 07:52:07 AM »
April 23, 2009

I, the undersigned, Lungri Namgyel, the official head of the Gelug order of Tibetan Buddhism (Ganden Tripa) and successor to the said order’s founder, Je Tsongkhapa (1357-1419), whose headquarters are Ganden Monastery in Karnataka state, south India, hereby confirm that:

• His Eminence Trijang Chocktrul Rinpoche, having been educated in the teachings of the Gelug order of Tibetan Buddhism, and officially recognized by His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama as being the incarnation of the late Trijang Dorje Chang, Tutor to the 14th Dalai Lama and one of the greatest twentieth-century Buddhist masters of this order, is fully qualified to act in the capacity of director of Trijang Buddhist Institute in the state of Vermont, United States of America, where he is currently residing at 210 Morning Star Lane, Northfield, Vermont 05663 USA.

• I confer upon Trijang Buddhist Institute the authority to represent and transmit the teachings of the Gelug order of Tibetan Buddhism in the United States.

• Thus authorized, Trijang Buddhist Institute is dedicated to preserving, representing, and transmitting the Buddhist teachings of the Gelug tradition.

Signed,

Ganden Tripa Lungri Namgyel

crazycloud

Re: H.H. Ganden Tripa letter - April 2009
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 03:09:16 PM »
Hi Alexis-

I think we might find it hard to imagine the kind of pressure this man is under. He also has samaya with the Dalai Lama, this is not something to be taken lightly.

I think that it is a very brave and wonderful thing he is doing, think about it: he has baldly stated that Dorje Shugden practitioners are fully capable of representing and transmitting the Ganden lineage. Of course, we already know this, but this allows the whole world to see that this issue is not as the Dalai Lama says it is.

He is crossing the Dalai Lama in saying this, and this is no small thing. He also must take into account that there are tens of thusands of people whose lives depend upon what he says or does. I think he has been trying to prevent a full split inside the Tibetan community, and his actions have been heavy with consequences.

We also must consider that the Dalai Lama is a powerful and determined man. Perhaps he felt that a direct confrontation last year would not have served all in the best way. Perhaps he would have been removed immediately, and therefore lost all abitlity to influence events. These kinds of things rarely hang on one battle, but are generally long, pitched campaigns.

In short, please do not be angry, but support any who support us, especially when that person is the holder of Je Tsongkhapa's throne!

Alexis

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 03:38:58 PM »
Well, you put it so eloquently, crazycloud, that you put my turbulent winds at rest.

I understand perfectly well what you said about samaya. I hadn't thought of it that way, thanks! 

However, the Ganden Tripa is not "crossing the Dalai-Lama" as you say on this issue but is merely following in the dalai-lama's footsteps in giving his blessings to TBI, and that's great  :), but is not an act of courage like you said.

I am still wondering, though, why such a "blessing" or "authorization" would be required for any center since the Ganden lineage is alive and already transmitted fully and authentically in monasteries such as, Shar ganden, Serpom, DGTL, Rabten Choling and even TBI for that matter?

In the end my question is this: If the Ganden Tripa is so easily influenced or controlled by Tibetan politicians, what is the use for such a position in the future? What's going to happen if the next Ganden Tripa says TBI (or any other center of monastery) is not a valid transmitter of Je Rimpoche's tradition anymore? Are we going to listen?

Yours,
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:19:42 PM by Alexis »

Alexis

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 04:17:07 PM »
I removed my earlier post!  ;)

crazycloud

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 07:56:22 PM »
Alexis-

This is wonderful; this discussion gives us the opportunity to investigate many meaningful ideas.

You have made some very interesting points here, the only one I explicity disagree with is the first. The second is an invitation to what I take to be a liberating insight, and the third question you ask is the most important, and I take it, in some respects, to be rhetorical. You make such and important point when you invite us to consider how beneficial or important it will be to rely in the future upon leaders who are under the influence of politicians and their power.

Please do not take my response here as disagreeing with you, I very much appreciate your insight and relish the opportunity to discuss these crucial matters....

You say that the Ganden Tri is not being crossing the Dalai Lama, but is merely following in the Dalai Lama’s footsteps in giving his blessings to TBI.

I see it differently.

For example, it is not at all clear that the DL has given his blessing to TBI. In fact, in that marvelously Tibetan way, his inscription on the image (of himself) he offered them is markedly indirect. Imagine going to the place of your Lama’s reincarnation (remember that the Dalai Lama himself recognized this tulku), so in fact we can say, imagine going to see your Lama and giving him a picture of yourself with an inscription beginning “This object of veneration…”!!

From one point of view, it could be seen that the DL is saying “You need to acknowledge my authority.”

At no point does he acknowledge any good quality of Trijang Rinpoche or his Institute, he does not praise their intentions or actions in any way, and he does not indicate any recognition of their previous relationship in the slightest.

I have always found it somewhat distasteful that TBI has put it on their website at all, and have only attributed it to their good intentions and wish to help so many who feel torn in half by this rift to experience a little mental peace.

The Ganden Tripa, the actual head of the Gelug tradition, on the other hand, “authorizes” Trijang Buddhist institute to “represent and transmit the teachings of the Gelug order.” To me, this is huge, and if I were the Dalai Lama, I would experience this as a direct affront, however indirectly offered.

Consider: The Dalai Lama has been touring the world saying, “This is spirit worship, it degenerates the Dharma, these practitioners should stop, they are agents of the Chinese communist regime, they have lost their refuge…” He even said that we are, and I quote, “tying a noose for our own necks.”

Then the Ganden Tripa, authorizes Dorje Shugden practitioners to represent the Gelug order?!? The implications of such a statement are as various as they are remarkable, and one is very clearly “I decide what is a valid representation of the Gelug tradition, sir, not you.” Of course, he has no political power to back it up, but I take this to be a very courageous thing to do.

Given what we know of the situation in India, could any of us do the same knowing we had relatives, disciples, friends, interests there?

In short, I think he must know he IS crossing the Dalai Lama, and quite publicly, and that the two “dedications” are not at all the same, so it cannot be said that the Ganden Tripa is following the Dalai Lama in this.

You wonder why such a blessing or authorization would be required, and I submit that in fact it is not. As you adduce, the Ganden Tradition is alive and well all over the world. To me, this is further indication that what the Ganden Tri has done is to have a made a statement. A statement that can be taken to indicate what does, and does not, represent the Gelug tradition. In my view, it is a statement that we should both support wholeheartedly and also make much of.

Then, to your final question, “if the Ganden Tripa is so easily influenced or controlled by Tibetan politicians, what is the use for such a position in the future?”

This is a wonderful popint, and one that should be considered by all spiritual practitioners.

Firstly, as I argued in my last post, it is not at all clear that this man has been easily controlled. We can only imagine what he has gone through, himself a practitioner of this wisdom dharmapala, how many actions he has taken behind the scenes, encouraging, supporting, financing, making prayers. Of course, I don’t know, but we can only imagine  ;).

Finally, I agree with the implication you seem to be making. Having a leader who is under the control of politicians is not desirable. In this, I am all the way behind you. In applauding his statement, however, we are in no way saying that our faith depends on it, merely that we acknowledge and respect his standing up for what is correct. As I think we ourselves have demonstrated, the Ganden Tradition’s continuation as a living lineage of scripture and realization does not depend on any Dalai Lama selected leader, but upon the faith and respect and PRACTICE of we the Gadenpa, the thousand-times-blessed followers of Protector Manjushri Je Tsongkhapa.

If the next Ganden Tripa says we are rubbish, we will do as we have always done. But if he says we represent the Ganden tradition, I for one will agree and applaud his good sense, and refrain from any all too easy pointing out that he could have done so… sooner.

Thank you, Alexis for giving me a chance to state my views. If you disagree, please correct me, or just ignore me, it’s only my opinion.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:58:58 PM by crazycloud »

Alexis

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 08:15:27 PM »
Crazycloud,

Now, how could I disagree with what you wrote.........so masterfully presented!

You made me change my mind on a central issue, thanks!

Heartspoon

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 09:22:17 AM »
Actually, H.H. the Ganden Tripa reacted much earlier :

The "literal" statement by the Ganden Tri Rinpoche (Head of the Gelug School) read like that:

"If it [Shugden] were a real protector, it should protect the people. There may not be any protector such as this, which needs to be protected by the people. Is it proper to disturb the peace and harmony by causing conflicts, unleashing terror and shooting demeanous words in order to please the Dharmapala? Does this fulfill the wishes of our great masters? Try to analyze and contemplate on the teachings that had been taught in the Lamrim [stages of path], Lojong [training of mind] and other scriptural texts. Does devoting time in framing detrimental plots and committing degrading act, which seems no different from the act of attacking monasteries wielding swords and spears and draining the holy robes of the Buddha with blood, fulfill the wishes of our great masters?
The Mahayana teachings advocate an altruistic attitude of sacrificing few for the sake of many. Thus why is it not possible for one, who acclaims oneself to be a Mahayana, to stop worshipping these dubious gods and deities for the sake and benefit of the Tibetans in whole and for the well-being of His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

For some reason, after having read the above statement, I wrote the following:

Statement by an ignorant person,

"If He were a real King, He should protect the people. There may not be any King such as this, who needs to be protected by the people. Is it proper to disturb the peace and harmony by causing conflicts, unleashing terror and shooting demeanous words for the sake of politics ? Does this fulfill the wishes of our great masters? Try to analyze and contemplate on the teachings that had been taught in the Lamrim [stages of path], Lojong [training of mind] and other scriptural texts. Does devoting time in framing detrimental plots and committing degrading act, which seems no different from the act of attacking monasteries wielding swords and spears and draining the holy robes of the Buddha with blood, fulfill the wishes of our great masters?
The Mahayana teachings advocate an altruistic attitude of saving all. Thus why is it not possible for Him, who acclaims Himself to be a Mahayana, to stop worshipping these dubious politics which sustain only His own well-being and His own special pride ?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 09:36:56 AM by Heartspoon »

Alexis

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 11:37:05 AM »
I think this statement is from the last Ganden Tripa, not the current one.

Heartspoon

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 11:56:20 AM »
Yes, this statement was made by H.H. the Ganden Tripa in 1996 while the actual Ganden Tripa has been nominated in 2003
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 12:04:52 PM by Heartspoon »

Heartspoon

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 02:37:55 PM »
Here is an account of what H.H. the Ganden Tripa had to withstand :

"The so-called Gelug-council was repeatedly summoned in Dharamsala where the issue of the ban on Dorje Shugden was treated as the central theme. Abbots and representatives of the monasteries were expected to give their signatures on predetermined resolutions. Some of the leading figures, like the head of the Gelug, HH the present Ganden Tripa, are deeply concerned about the discrimination and schism in the tradition but could not prevent to sign due to the persistent admonishing of the Dalai Lama and lack of backing from other participants. Unhappily, left with no other choice but to sign, Tri Rinpoche emphasised that his signature was not given in his function as Ganden Tripa, but on the private bases of a simple monk only. In such proceedings resolution after resolution with new rules and regulations were imposed on the monasteries, which are all aimed to turn life impossible for all those, who do not comply with the deity-policy of the Tibetan government."

So, H.H. the former Ganden Tripa as well as H.H. the actual Ganden Tripa disagreed with The King
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 02:44:16 PM by Heartspoon »

Heartspoon

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 05:08:38 PM »
"Monarchs who do what is against the practices
And senseless are mostly praised
By their citizens, for it is hard to know
What will or will not be tolerated.
Hence it is hard to know
What is useful or not (to say).
If useful but unpleasant words
Are hard to speak to anyone else,
What could I, a monk, say to you,
A King
who is a lord of the great earth ?"

Nagarjuna

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 09:47:38 PM »

http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=241&cpage=1#comment-12

Below was extracted from above link.

This is very historical piece of recognition. It shows that HH Gaden Tripa cannot be swayed by the winds of politics. He has stood firm and officially announced that HH Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche is a qualified being to study with. His Center is a correct place to join.

We all know that HH Trijang Choktrul has not renounced Dorje Shugden. Not renouncing Dorje Shugden DOES NOT MAKE HIM UNQUALIFIED. In fact qualified or not is NOT DEFINED BY THE PRACTICE OR NOT PRACTICE OF DORJE SHUGDEN.

Having said that, there are many great Lamas who have not renounced Dorje Shugden, secretly, openly,and/or quietly practicing still and who will not renounce. This letter is also a indirect message that they are just as fine to study with and follow.

So hence, with the letter of recognition from Gaden Tripa, it also recognizes the hundreds of other great lamas past and present that has not renounced Dorje Shugden and that STILL MAKES THEM QUALIFIED due to their learning and practice. Their qualifications AGAIN are not defined by Dorje Shugden's practice or renouncing it.

So hence if you wish to practice Dorje Shugden or you don't is absolutely fine. The KEY is your learning and practice.

Thank you to your Holiness Gaden Tripa for speaking up and giving rest to many people's minds and clearing much confusion.

May your Holiness Gaden Tripa live long, continuously turn the wheel of Dharma and may your strength give hope to many spiritually desolate and desperate people.

Denpa

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 10:01:19 PM »

Regarding the Letter by Gaden Tripa re Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche

Now if anyone says the Gaden Tripa is wrong in writing this letter, then they are saying he is not a g00d Gaden Tripa or not qualified. That would turn everything upside down.

Then the selection process of Gaden Tripa is wrong. So that would make us doubt all the previous Gaden Tripas and all future Gaden Tripas. That would be a very dangerous direction to go to.

So if the Gaden Tripas are wrong, who can we trust? Just only the Dalai Lamas??

Some of the previous 13 Dalai Lamas had root teachers who were the Gaden Tripas. So if they were wrong, then 'naturally' the previous Dalai Lamas can be wrong.  Why? Wrong teachers breed wrong students.

Then everyone is wrong. We don't want to go down that road do we??

The current Dalai Lama can say his root tutor the previous Trijang Rinpoche Lobsang Yeshe was wrong to teach the practice of Dorje Shugden. A mistake. How about if we say the current Dalai Lama is wrong to say his guru is wrong. Or how about if we say, that the CURRENT Dalai Lama is wrong to say it is WRONG TO PRACTICE DORJE SHUGDEN. I mean, if Dalai Lama's guru can be wrong, can't the current Dalai Lama (Trijang Rinpoche's student) be wrong also??

I am not bombasting the Dalai Lama. It is just a debate I have in my head.

Anyone have any comments please?