Author Topic: Buddha Boy in deep mediation sweat a secret  (Read 27778 times)

sonamdhargey

Buddha Boy in deep mediation sweat a secret
« on: July 08, 2012, 09:37:10 AM »
Ram Bahadur Bomjon (Sanskrit: ??? ?????? ??????) (born c. 10 April 1990, sometimes spelt Bomjan, Banjan, or Bamjan), also known as Palden Dorje (his monastic name) and now Dharma Sangha, is from Ratanapuri village, Bara district, Nepal. Some of his supporters have claimed that he is a reincarnation of the Buddha, but Ram himself has denied this, and many practitioners of Buddhism agree that the Buddha has entered nirvana and cannot be reborn.
He drew thousands of visitors and media attention by spending months in meditation. Nicknamed the Buddha Boy, he began his meditation on 16 May 2005. He reportedly disappeared from the hollow tree where he had been meditating for months on 16 March 2006, but was found by some followers a week later. He told them he had left his meditation place, where large crowds had been watching him, "because there is no peace". He then went his own way and reappeared elsewhere in Nepal on 26 December 2006, but left again on 8 March 2007. On 26 March 2007, inspectors from the Area Police Post Nijgadh in Ratanapuri found Bomjon meditating inside a bunker-like ditch seven feet square.
On 10 November 2008, Bomjon reappeared in Ratanapuri and spoke to a group of devotees in the remote jungle.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Bahadur_Bomjon

The Buddha boy was meditation and was sweating. Lama Jamyang Lekshey from Sakya Thubten Monasteries was asked why the Buddha boy sweat and Lama Jamyang said it is a secret. Do any of you here know why is it a secret and what is the significance of the sweat while meditating?

Video:
Small | Large

bambi

Re: Buddha Boy in deep mediation sweat a secret
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 10:52:24 AM »
Interesting question. I saw this documentary on television quite some time back but it did not mention about the sweating. I saw fence built around the place Buddha boy was meditating though. I am guessing that Buddha Boy released body heat while meditating. I did some surfing around and found more interesting stories thanks to you.

A day passes, and BB shows no signs of dehydration/hydration as predicted by nutritionists. No cracked lips, no yellowed skin. Zilch - he looks completely healthy.

Somewhere after a day, the boy starts sweating profusely. BB's teacher is called in to the site close to BB. A Buddhist monk of the esoteric Sakyan school, he identifies the yogic method BB is using after an hour of meditating in front of him (in some kind of duo meditation) - "tumo"- where the meditator reduces heat loss and maintains a high body temperature. The teacher attempts to "lessen" the "importance" of BB by informing the crew that he knows of many lamas in the Himalayas who, like the boy, are doing just such stuff.

Villagers inform the crew that the last time the boy sweated so profusely was when he was reported to have been bitten by a snake. In this region where a poisonous snakebite can kill a person instantly, the boy simply "sweated the poison out" literally then, and continued his meditation throughout - to the amazement of all.

Second day - and where blackened lips and blood ought to come out from his skin, BB remains motionless and totally healthy. No food, no water.

It is midnight, and temperatues drop to around 10 degrees Celsius. Pilgrims, guards, Discovery crew, and even the Nepalese government's commission shiver under the cold despite thick blankets and coats - yet BB with his thin clothes continues to sweat, unfazed by the cold. The Nepalese government's commision here has been filming BB for 6 days now - and no trace of him obtaining any tangible source of nutrition anywhere.

And this :

After five days it was opened and he spoke. "Tell the people not to call me a Buddha. I don't
have the Buddha's energy. I am at the level of rinpoche [lesser divinity]"
"A snake bit me but I do not need treatment. I need six years of deep meditation."

brian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »
Interesting question. I saw this documentary on television quite some time back but it did not mention about the sweating. I saw fence built around the place Buddha boy was meditating though. I am guessing that Buddha Boy released body heat while meditating. I did some surfing around and found more interesting stories thanks to you.

A day passes, and BB shows no signs of dehydration/hydration as predicted by nutritionists. No cracked lips, no yellowed skin. Zilch - he looks completely healthy.

Somewhere after a day, the boy starts sweating profusely. BB's teacher is called in to the site close to BB. A Buddhist monk of the esoteric Sakyan school, he identifies the yogic method BB is using after an hour of meditating in front of him (in some kind of duo meditation) - "tumo"- where the meditator reduces heat loss and maintains a high body temperature. The teacher attempts to "lessen" the "importance" of BB by informing the crew that he knows of many lamas in the Himalayas who, like the boy, are doing just such stuff.

Villagers inform the crew that the last time the boy sweated so profusely was when he was reported to have been bitten by a snake. In this region where a poisonous snakebite can kill a person instantly, the boy simply "sweated the poison out" literally then, and continued his meditation throughout - to the amazement of all.

Second day - and where blackened lips and blood ought to come out from his skin, BB remains motionless and totally healthy. No food, no water.

It is midnight, and temperatues drop to around 10 degrees Celsius. Pilgrims, guards, Discovery crew, and even the Nepalese government's commission shiver under the cold despite thick blankets and coats - yet BB with his thin clothes continues to sweat, unfazed by the cold. The Nepalese government's commision here has been filming BB for 6 days now - and no trace of him obtaining any tangible source of nutrition anywhere.

And this :

After five days it was opened and he spoke. "Tell the people not to call me a Buddha. I don't
have the Buddha's energy. I am at the level of rinpoche [lesser divinity]"
"A snake bit me but I do not need treatment. I need six years of deep meditation."

I came across this "Buddha Boy" not very long ago when videos about him were largely publicized. As what bambi noted out, i don't remember anything about sweating was mentioned in the video. But definitely this is one of the highest form of meditation in its highest order. It is so powerful that one can emit out poisons from the body via sweating. I suppose the sweating is to release the poison inherited from the snake bite. He is so powerful to have gained such form of meditation power practice at such a young age!

Jessie Fong

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 01:56:28 PM »
He could be practicing "tumo" , a type of yoga?

I found the following explanation:

Little is known about the esoteric Tibetan Buddhist practice of tumo, or psychic heat yoga. In Magical Techniques of Tibet (New Age Books), author J.H. BRENNAN explains this yoga in detail. An extract:

The term tumo actually means 'heat' or 'warmth,' but only in the special sense of psychic heat. Tibetans recognize three types:

1. The tumo that arises spontaneously during ecstatic religious experience;

2. Mystic tumo, which is the fire of bliss itself;

3. Esoteric tumo that keeps the adept physically warm. The third type of tumo is related to the subtle fire that warms the seminal fluid in a man and is the source of its energy. When the warmth is heightened, the energy runs throughout the rtsa or energy channels of the body.

Benny

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 02:53:12 PM »
Yes , this Buddha Boy was really sweating as if was having a workout or more like he was having a nightmare. I saw the documentary which was trying to zoom in on him to further scrutinize what was happening to him. Some even wanted to see if rainbow color lights was being emitted from his body whilst in deep meditation.

Well , i only manage to see sweat trickling down his face and that infra red cameras was detecting steady heat emanating from his body despite the cold temperatures at night. It is truly amazing that this twenty two year old man can survive the harsh environment without food or water for weeks if not months.

Whats more is that at his relatively your age he has allegedly mastered the "tumo' yoga , that could be the most likely explanation to the extraordinary heat source. I have seen another documentary on this art involving a group of Tibetan Lamas in a monastery . As part of the training they were soaking themselves in icy cold water from the mountains ! I could see that they were shivering initially whilst they start the "tumo" meditation but as time past one can clearly see steam beginning to rise first from their heads then then the body. Totally , amazing to know that at this day and age we still have such masters practicing such skills. 

dsiluvu

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 06:38:06 PM »
This Buddha Boy sure has a pretty huge following. How did he came about... what's his lineage? Well this was taken  from his website... what do u guys think? I was pretty skeptical when I first read and saw this story. But he is benefiting other hence that is most important I guess.

He was born a Tamang, descendant of  the Tamang Lamas who were renowned for their ability to go for long periods without food  while receiving their prana through the practice of meditation.  Legend has it that the Tamang lamas could fly and talk to trees, animals and birds.  The lamas would befriend wild animals such as tigers, lions, bears and snakes and  remain unharmed by them .Blessings be bestowed upon  Maya Devi Tamang, mother of Tamang Tulku Rimpoche, Ram Bahadur Bomjon.  She has been the means of making the people of Nepal and of the world fortunate to witness the birth of such an incarnation as only occurs once in thousands of years.

Biography
Family and Childhood

Guru’s parents are farmers. His mother, Maya Devi was married at 12.  She had 5 sons and 4 daughters.  Guru was her third son.  When she was in her pregnancy, she found she was unable to eat meat without becoming ill.  Guru, whom she named Ram, would not eat meat.  He would leave the house for long intervals from an early age.  Guru was always pleased to see a lama or a holy person and fastidiously imitated them.  He often seemed to be lost in thought and spoke little.  Whenever someone spoke to him, he would reply with a smile and would treat people of all ages equally

He took his studies seriously and rarely played with other children, choosing instead to remain alone. Guru refused to fight, and was always calm. He spent his time reading scriptures, meditating and worshipping the pipal tree which seemed to bring him joy. Seeing this behavior, Guru’s father sent him to study the scriptures of Lama Chhyoi with Samden Lama in their village.  After that Guru decided to embrace a religious life. He was taken to be educated by Som Bahadur Lama who lived at Sudha.

Guru Som Bahadur Lama

Som Bahadur Lama said the following of his word: “He was obedient. He never said ‘no’ to my word. He was friendly and sociable and he received education in that manner. He used to say frequently that his attention was much more drawn towards meditation than towards reading books.” He was granted the initiation of “Panchasheel.” Panchasheel is a Sanskrit word for a Buddhist initiation consisting of five vows, which are as follows:
1.  One must not kill animals (it is preferable to be vegetarian).
2.  One must not steal.
3.  One must not lie.
4.  One must not think negatively about others.
5.  One must not take intoxicating substances.

Guru was initiated along with a group of nine other students. Guru refused to have his hair cut before the initiation, which was the common custom. It was after this initiation that Guru received the name, “Palden Dorje.” Now Dharma Sanga
It was the custom for the initiates to meditate for up to a month in a cave. Som Bahadur Lama was surprised at the ease with which Guru seemed to adapt to the situation requiring little sustenance. It was then that he realized that the boy had a natural talent for deep and prolonged meditation. After completing his Buddhist education for two years, all nine initiates went to Lumbini, the birthplace of Lord Buddha, for sightseeing.  Most venurable Dharma Sanga seemed utterly taken by this place and it seemed to deepen his religious resolve. The other eight initiates returned but he refused to return. Instead, he went to Dehradun to further his religious education with the Gurus of Dehradun and later returned to the beautiful lakeside city of Pokhara.

sonamdhargey

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 02:45:32 PM »
Thank you all for your replies. I supposed the "tumo" a type of yoga practice to generate heat and control the winds in the body? Even poisons can be dispelled from this yoga technique. I find this really interesting. But is this "Tumo" yoga practice really the secret that Lama Jamyang Lekshey from Sakya Thubten said? Or is it more than just the "Tumo" yoga or it is some secret practice to generate the Tumo yogo?

A video about Tummo below:
The Best Hard Evidence For Buddhist Tummo (Inner Fire) Meditation Small | Large

Klein

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 08:35:53 PM »
He could be practicing "tumo" , a type of yoga?

I found the following explanation:

Little is known about the esoteric Tibetan Buddhist practice of tumo, or psychic heat yoga. In Magical Techniques of Tibet (New Age Books), author J.H. BRENNAN explains this yoga in detail. An extract:

The term tumo actually means 'heat' or 'warmth,' but only in the special sense of psychic heat. Tibetans recognize three types:

1. The tumo that arises spontaneously during ecstatic religious experience;

2. Mystic tumo, which is the fire of bliss itself;

3. Esoteric tumo that keeps the adept physically warm. The third type of tumo is related to the subtle fire that warms the seminal fluid in a man and is the source of its energy. When the warmth is heightened, the energy runs throughout the rtsa or energy channels of the body.

According to wikipedia, the purpose of tummo "is to gain control over body processes during the completion stage of 'highest yoga tantra'." It burns away ignorance and ego clinging. Below is a video of some Tibetan monks doing the tummo meditation.  It's amazing to see how the monks meditated in the cold wrapped in wet sheets.

Tibetan Buddhist Monks Meditation and Science. Tummo meditation.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 03:00:45 PM »

Dear Sonam Dhargey

I found  the following explanation from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tummo

Tummo (Tibetan: gtum-mo; Sanskrit: ca???l?) is a form of Yoga, found in the Six Yogas of Naropa, Lamdre, Kalachakra and Anuyoga teachings of Tibetan Vajrayana. Tummo originally derives from Indian Vajrayana tradition, including the instruction of the Mahasiddha Krishnacarya and the Hevajra Tantra. The purpose of tummo is to gain control over body processes during the completion stage of 'highest yoga tantra' (Anuttarayoga Tantra).
Nomenclature, orthography and etymology

Tummo (gTum mo in Wylie transliteration, also spelled Tumo, or Tum-mo; Sanskrit ca???l?) is a Tibetan word, literally meaning fierce [woman]. Tummo is a Tibetan word for inner fire.[1] The terms drod and tummo are synonymous though the former is used in Traditional Tibetan medicine, whilst the latter is employed in tantric spiritual disciplines.

[edit]Orthography
Tummo may also be orthographically rendered in English as 'Dumo'[2] which approximates its phonemic enunciation for a standard speaker of English.
[edit]Kundalini and tummo

Tummo and kundalini practice are similar, being both are based on Indian tantric physiology. Both rely on mula bandha, uddiy?na bandha and breath retention. Both cause bindu or amitra to drip down from the head. Tummo uses trul khor as a supporting practice just as kundalini uses the similar hatha yoga as a supporting practice. However some Hindu texts dealing with kundalini advocate kechari mudra as part of the process.[3] True kechari mudra is not part of the Vajrayana tradition - although touching the palate with the tongue is. Another difference between the kundalini and tummo tradition is tummo's emphasis on focusing on the subnavel area.[1] A last difference is tummo's association with karmamudr? practice.
Miranda Shaw:
Ku??alin?-yoga offered a range of techniques to harness the powerful psycho-physical energy coursing through the body... Most people simply allow the energy to churn in a cauldron of chaotic thoughts and emotions or dissipate the energy in a superficial pursuit of pleasure, but a yogi or yogini consciously accumulates and then directs it for specified purposes. This energy generates warmth as it accumulates and becomes an inner fire or inner heat (cand?l?) that [potentially] burns away the dross of ignorance and ego-clinging.[4]
[edit]Overview

One of the most famous practitioners of Tummo according to the Tibetan tradition was held to be Milarepa. The biography of Milarepa is one of the most popular among the Tibetan people (Evans-Wentz, 2001). Modern western witnesses of this practice include the adventurer Alexandra David-Néel (David-Néel, 1971), Lama Anagarika Govinda (Govinda, 1988), and anthropologist Dr. John Crook.
Dr Arya (2006) in discussing the "life airs" (Tibetan: rLung) states that historically: "The rLung practitioner (yogi) uses special colors of clothes to improve the power of the Tummo fire."[5]
Dr Arya (2006) describes the raising of drod or tummo through the tsa lung vortices (Tibetan: khorlo; Sanskrit: chakra) in a manner comparable to the "serpent fire" (Sanskrit: ku??alin?; ca??al?) and mentions Vajrayogini and bodymind making reference to English renderings of marigpa, sahasrara and Traditional Tibetan medicine:
The psychic heat Drod is produced by the space particles and the heat manifested from the friction of the wind element. This is another fundamental element as it supports and gives power to the consciousness, like the power of the fire that can launch rockets to space. The power is called medrod or 'digestion fire' in medicine and Tummo in yoga tantra. The heat (fire) sustains life and protects the body/mind. The psychic fire increases the wisdom, burns the ignorant mind of the brain and gives realization and liberation from the darkness of unawareness. That is why yoga describes Tummo as the aggressive fire which ignites from below navel, pierces the chakras one by one and reaches the sky of the crown chakra. The tummo burning arrow married with the celestial bride leads to enjoy the life of transformation of samsara. They give birth to the son of awareness from the blissful garden of Vajrayogini.[5]

[edit]Scientific investigation
An attempt to study the physiological effects of Tummo has been made by Benson and colleagues (Benson et al., 1982; Cromie, 2002) who studied Indo-Tibetan Yogis in the Himalayas and in India in the 1980s. In the first experiment, in Upper Dharamsala (India), Benson et al. (1982) found that these subjects exhibited the capacity to increase the temperature of their fingers and toes by as much as 8.3°C. In a 2002 experiment, conducted in Normandy (France), two monks from the Buddhist tradition wore sensors that recorded changes in heat production and metabolism (Cromie, 2002).

pgdharma

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 03:25:27 PM »
Tummo is one of the integral part of Tibetan Buddhism. Here are some explanations from http://pinto2011.hubpages.com/hub/tummo-meditation-technique

Tummo is an ancient Tibetan monk meditation technique, a type of tantric yoga, residing in the Himalayas where they increase the temperature of their body up to 17 degrees. They do it to burn the thousands of evil thoughts which crosses our mind and redirect the thought process to constructive one. They practice it by drying three wet clothes placed in their bare body with outside freezing temperature.

WHO THESE PEOPLE ARE WHO PRACTICES THIS MEDITATION TECHNIQUE:

In the Kagyu Tradition of Buddhism (Tibetan), there are six types of Yogas of Naropa and Tummo is one of them. It is the meditation of inner heat and it is practiced to control the subtle body and perform the higher yogas and this tantric yoga is practiced in Tibet by the Buddhist monk.

WHY TUMMO MEDITATION TECHNIQUE IS PRACTICED:

This Tummo meditation is based on the ancient tantric teachings and the teachings are based on the common belief that we as a human beings are born with free flowing energy and we waste it by worrying about different sorts of things in our daily life. So, instead of worrying Tummo meditation is practiced to concentrate and burn all those worrying thoughts and keep our mind and body healthy. So, it is basically channelize all those worrying energy into productive ones.

HOW TUMMO MEDITATION TECHNIQUE IS PRACTICED:

Tummo is basically a breathing technique. We need to sit in a mat with your legs crossed over one another and with your hands placed over the knees. Then close your eyes, try to concentrate by kicking out all the thoughts out of your minds which are emerging from various directions. When we breath, the noticeable movements happens in our bowel, i.e., it comes up and down. So, concentrate on the movement of the bowel during the inhaling and exhaling periods. Slowly then start coming up and concentrate on your nose and feel the breath while inhaling and exhaling. Once you are able to concentrate without any straying thoughts, imagine your body as a hollow balloon and visualize that a hot lamp is placed at the center of that hollow balloon discharging heat. Slowly, your body will start heating up.

NOTE: IT WILL TAKE TIME STILL YOU MASTER THIS TANTRIC TECHNIQUE AND START GENERATING HEAT.

LIVE EXAMPLE OF THIS TUMMO MEDITATION TECHNIQUE:

There is a man named Wim Hof got the nickname if Iceman for his extreme capacity of bearing with cold. He first ran barefooted in the Artic and has now aimed for the Antartica. He has 18 world records in his name from bearing different kinds of cold including longest ice bath by staying immersed in ice for 1 hour, 13 minutes, and 48 seconds. He often challenges his body to the extreme when it comes to bear cold. He attempted to climb mount Everest by wearing only shorts and nothing else. He has proven the world that with Tummo meditation and practicing it religiously and judiciously one can do the unimaginable.

WHAT ARE THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF THIS KIND OF TUMMO MEDITATION:

There are multiple benefits of doing Tummo meditation:

1. It gives you unimaginable power to fight with cold as Iceman has proven.
2. It is said that it clears any kind of plaques forms inside our artery or vein, that is it keeps our heart healthy.
3. Being basically a breathing technique, it keeps our lungs healthy.
4. It improves concentration.
5. It improves memory power.
3. It makes your more calm and composed besides other health benefits of being yoga.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 02:38:47 PM »
Tumo meditation practitioners can withstand extreme cold without any warm clothes except from control of their body's temperature.

But to extract sweat seems to be more than Tumo practice but rather another form of powerful meditation that can expel from the body.

In the story of the Buddha Boy, he was able to expel poison from a snake bite.

Very interesting story and great information on deep meditation which can control all aspects of our body.  Mind over matter is what is on my mind after this very interesting read. 

psylotripitaka

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 11:48:43 PM »
If you are interested in authentic explanations about tummo meditation, you can find them in Clear Light of Bliss, Guide to Dakini Land, Essence of Vajrayana and other books by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, Blazing Inner Fire of Bliss and Emptiness by Ngulchu Dharmabhadra available at Dechen Ling Press, as well as the Bliss of Inner Fire by Lama Yeshe and Bliss of Inner Fire by Geshe Acharya Thubten Loden.

The article presented by pgdharma is almost entirely rubbish, sorry. Tummo is very profound and certainly not basically a "breathing technique". Though vase breathing (not explained in that article) is a small part of tummo meditation, the main focus is the accomplishment of the Union of the clear light of bliss and emptiness. Though warming the body may be useful for repa yogis isolated in frigid climates or for people to warm themselves and set silly world records, the actual tummo meditation is focusses inside the central channel, not outside it. That some yogis are tested by drying wet towels, the real proof of proficiency with the actual tummo meditation is controlling the inner winds, experiencing the dissolutions, and using the clear light to realize emptiness.

What is much more interesting to me is that a proficient completion stage meditator's breath stops completely for prolonged periods of time while they're concentrated inside the central channel. They are not holding their breath like these Hindu yogis that compete and declare they're a Buddha afterwards simply because they held their breath for an hour. For the completion stage meditator, the outer wind naturally ceases when the inner winds have entered the central channel and are abiding, and such meditations can last many hours, even days and months! For them the real magic and purpose of something like tummo is being achieved.