Author Topic: Xinhua wanted me to spy on the Dalai Lama: Canadian journalist  (Read 4216 times)

Ensapa

• Email
I dont know what is so shocking about this when CTA has been accusing China of spying on them for the longest time. So i guess, their wish came through because there are just so many methods that china can use to spy on the Dalai Lama and the CTA and this is just one of the many. In essence, China does not need to know much about CTA, just when will the next self immolation comes about....they dont care, more or less about CTA. So whats the need for spying?

Xinhua wanted me to spy on the Dalai Lama: Canadian journalist
Phayul[Thursday, August 23, 2012 01:50]

DHARAMSHALA, August 23: In a shocking revelation, a Canadian journalist has accused China’s official news agency, Xinhua of instigating him to spy on the Tibetan spiritual leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

Freelance journalist and author Mark Bourrie said he quit his job after Xinhua wanted him to spy on the Dalai Lama during one of his visits to Ottawa.

Bourrie has made the allegation in an article to be published on Thursday in Ottawa Magazine, and in an interview with The Canadian Press.

Although the Ottawa bureau chief of Xinhua news agency has dismissed the claims, Bourrie’s revelations have once again brought to light concerns over the role of overseas Chinese reporters and news bureaus.

Long-standing accusations of information gathering and spying against Chinese journalists were hotly debated last year after the then Toronto correspondent for Xinhua was found to be having an “unprofessional” relationship with a Canadian M.P.

Attesting to the spy allegations against Chinese overseas reporters, a former Chinese diplomat with 14 years of service in the Chinese foreign ministry told the Epoch Times last year that Chinese reporters indeed play multiple roles.

Chen Yonglin, who was working as Consul for Political Affairs at the Consulate-General in Sydney, before defecting on May 26, 2005, noted that Chinese reporters use their profession as a shield to pursue political missions.

“In addition, they play the role of a spy because Xinhua is actually an outreach organ of Chinese Communist Party’s intelligence agencies. The nature of their work means they must use all means to infiltrate and obtain intelligence.”

Chen added that the reporters’ services are in such demand, they may have as many as three CCP officials as bosses.

“As part of an intelligence network, Xinhua reporters are often under two different bosses, maybe even three different bosses, mainly CCP officials,” Chen told the Epoch Times.

“If they were sent by the Ministry of State Security, then they report to the MSS, if they were sent by People’s Liberation Army General Staff Department, then they answer to the PLA General Staff Department; they all have secret missions. At the same time, they help the Consulate with political and propaganda work."

Namdrol

• Email
Re: Xinhua wanted me to spy on the Dalai Lama: Canadian journalist
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 03:56:45 PM »
Am not surprised, and probably true, China is capable of that, but it just makes CTA even more paranoid, accusing everybody including Shugden practitioners as spies, they are just use it to their convenience for finding excuses to put down the Shugden people further. Both China and CTA are equallt un-noble.

Galen

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 07:23:26 PM »
If the Dalai Lama is visiting Canada and you are a representative of a news agency in Canada, don't you think you should be covering the news? It is logical and with the current political situation between China and Tibet, China would definitely want to know what the Dalai Lama's moves would be. This is because the Dalai Lama is a national threat and China sees the Dalai Lama as someone who can cause instability and disharmony in the country. So, definitely they would want to know what is going on. And as a journalist, it is his job to find out more, especially the details and juicy news, to report back to China. Does this constitute spying?

hope rainbow

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 08:56:33 AM »
If there were state secrets to be found within the CTA, we would have seen a James Bond movie evolving within these spheres already...

Spying is a secret activity of most every government in this world. That China spies is not big news, that the CTA spies isn't neither.
That they DO NOT spy would be news!

But is there anything to spy on? That is the question...
I doubt it...

bambi

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 05:18:13 AM »
Its really absurd to hear all these stories. Spies? You are right Ensapa. The Chinese should concentrate on their own country such as promoting Dorje Shugden's practice instead. Maybe build more DS temples and shrines, educate the people about DS or create more awareness. Since they are so into HHDL and the CTA, they should do more beneficial things rather than waste time on 'spying'! Look at all the unhappy Tibetans in Tibet and the self immolations.. DO something about that and be famous for that.. Not the other way round.  :'(