Author Topic: Golden Buddha Statue Discovered Inside Normal Buddha Statue in Northern Thailand  (Read 16558 times)

bambi

Interesting! A Buddha within a Buddha. Can you imagine? Most people try to save themselves during a war but there were some saving a golden Buddha statue and hid it in plain sight. It is a good thing though as it mi been destroyed. Guess that now there will be political issues as to which country the golden Buddha belongs to. Sigh!

In the tiny Northern Thai village of Ban Dan, legend has it that hundreds of years ago, when the Siamese kingdom of Ayutthaya was at war with the neighboring country of Burma, a valuable golden Buddha was hidden in the large Buddha statue a local Buddhist temple.

It turns out the legends was true: on August 4, the head of a golden Buddha statue was discovered inside the 5 meter-tall Buddha statue of the Wat Ban Dan Tai temple.

The face was found peeking out from inside the statue after a large portion extending from its chest to its stomach fell off. It’s said that the large statue was rebuilt with brick in 1950 to better protect the golden statue. Looks like they’re going to have a hard time hiding this from the Burmese now.

Galen

• Email
What a valuable find! And the Golden Buddha still looks so beautiful with all features intact. I guess the Golden Buddha could not hide himself anymore after so many years. It is time to reveal himself.

Whether the Buddha belongs to Thailand or Burma, it doesn't matter anymore and do not need to bring in politics into religion. The fact that after so many years, with the prayers and the sincerity of the local people who continuously pay homage to the large Buddha, the karma has ripen for the Golden Buddha to reveal himself and benefit more people.

THis is great news!

biggyboy

Whether the Buddha belongs to Thailand or Burma, it doesn't matter anymore and do not need to bring in politics into religion. The fact that after so many years, with the prayers and the sincerity of the local people who continuously pay homage to the large Buddha, the karma has ripen for the Golden Buddha to reveal himself and benefit more people.

THis is great news!

Well, on spiritual side, of course it does not matter where the Buddha comes from and politics need not be involve...well if ever the government would be that forgiving and spiritual to say the least.  Having said that the government may claim rights over it.  Well, it is a Great find to know there were truth to the hidden statues that were being saved during the war.   Time to reveal for all to see.  Looks like hidden/stolen  treasures of Buddha statues were being discovered nowadays.  Such coincidence. 

Interesting read : http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=2296.0Buddhist] [url]http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=2296.0Buddhist Antique Statues Worth Millions Seized in Pakistan[/url]

Jessie Fong

What a great way of deception. No one would have thought of looking for a Buddha within a Buddha.

It does not matter who lays claim to it : if it was discovered on Thai soil, then it belongs to Thailand.  Why go through the hassle?  It is a statue of Buddha and whichever country it belongs to, it will benefit both actually.

ratanasutra

In the past when there was a war the country that win will take all treasure items from lost country back. So when the war started thai people would hide the golden statue which normally small size inside a  big buddha statue or just used a cement put on top to cover it so that it not been stolen or been burn with fire.

There were many golden statues has been discovered in Thailand from the past till now. The biggest golden statue is at Wat Traimit, Bangkok with the weight of 5 tons, height 3.94 metres and width of statue is 3.10 metres. A place you must go when you visit bangkok, thailand.

RedLantern

Fantastic find.A Buddha within a Buddha!Legend has it that hundreds of years ago in tiny Northern village of Ban Dan,Siamese K

RedLantern

Fantastic find,a Buddha within a Buddha. Legends has it that hundreds of years ago in tiny  Northern Thai village of Ban Dan,Siamese kingdom of Ayutthaya was at war with the neighboring country of Burma,a valuable golden Buddha was hidden in the arge Buddha statue in a local Buddhist temple.
The legend turns out To be true that on August 4th the head of the golden Buddha was discovered inside the 5 meter tall Buddha statue of the Wat Ban Dan Tai .The face was found peeking out from inside the statue after a large portion extending from the from it's chest.The large statue was rebuilt with bricks in 1950 to protect the golden statue.
Following the decision to of the Thai Government on MAY 15TH 2001.all of the 81 minor district were to be upgraded to full districts.Upgrade become official on 24th August.

Dondrup Shugden

It is always so wonderful to hear of old Buddha images are unveiled to the delight of many who have the merits to set eyes on them.

This article reminds of me of what Buddha said about us Human beings that we all possess the Buddha nature. Can these Buddhas within be revealed and the golden side of human nature prevail for a Buddhaland all over the world that we know.

Imagine the immense joy and happiness that will prevail.  Such hope for all sentient beings, thinking about that possibility already brings joy to my heart.

fruven

A lesson on impermanence. The creator may no longer here but what he has left behind, in this case the Golden Buddha, could be claimed by someone else. On another hand if the Buddha statue is not made of gold what would have happened, I wonder?

MoMo

I was in awe when I saw the picture , it was such a beautiful piece of art where the golden Buddha peeping out from one that is made from ordinary material . It was like the essence of all Buddha’s teachings  condensed in the heart of the tripitaka in gold. At the time of peace now the Thai should have no worries that their priceless Buddha’s image will fall into the Burmese’s hands but I also think that the golden statue should be kept as it is as it will even more beautiful and can tell a greater stories once that happened  between these two great nation.

kris

Wow!! I am still speechless after seeing this photo!!

I always have much respect for the general people in Thailand because of their high respect to Buddha. They will really do whatever it takes to preserve Buddha's teaching, and really take Buddha's teaching to their heart and apply them in their daily lives. When you come to think of it, they hide the Buddha in gold so that they are not stolen. Wow! How virtuous is that?!

I pray there are more and more Buddha statues will be "re-discovered" :)

DharmaSpace

Amazing find.

What a nice surprise and historical relic from the past. This is good for history of Buddhism, hope the historians can unravel the secret of why this status was hidden away, and who practiced this Buddha.