Author Topic: Buddhists outraged at Buddha’s images on shoes  (Read 15980 times)

Q

Re: Buddhists outraged at Buddha’s images on shoes
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 06:53:20 AM »
Buddha becoming a fashion icon?

Frankly speaking, I find this very unpleasant and personally, I would not wear such a shoe! But to those who are not Buddhist, I think it is a good way to plant seeds in their minds as they look at the prints of the shoes and say 'wow this is nice, I'm going to wear it'

Remember, Dorje Shugden even blesses the minds of people who disparage him and throw away images of him in the drain... Buddha's compassion is limitless, there is nothing we can do that will offend the Buddha; it is only people's perspective that leads to all these 'right or wrong' opinion. But of course, if you're a learned Buddhist, dont wear it because we have vows to pay homage to the Buddha, and one does not do so by wearing an image of him on our feet...

Compared to this image... i find the Buddha's image on toilet bowl cleaner more offensive

What do you think?

brian

• Email
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 04:49:05 PM »
This is an interesting question – designers who have used holy images on shoes, handbags, tshirts etc have always provoked a response from practitioners of that particular faith. I found this blog which had Jesus images on their shoes (http://thejesusquestion.org/2011/03/27/does-jesus-have-your-sole/) but interestingly enough, when I went to the website (http://www.zazzle.co.uk/) which was listed on the blog, I could not find the shoe products anymore. Perhaps there was a protest and the products were removed.

I agree that shoes are pretty stupid places to put holy images but I do wonder where do we draw the line. Is it okay to put holy images or words on t-shirts? Bags? I must say I love Buddha images on clothes and bags but I do feel a bit guilty about wearing them because I don’t know if it’s okay to do so or not. With bags I guess we should be extra aware about where we put our bags – i.e. not on the floor, especially not in toilets. How about Buddha images on a mug?

Gee, Thanks Wisdom Being for this picture. First time in my life to witness a Jesus on a shoe! I don't like it either. It doesn't go well with having your spiritual figure to appear in shoes at all. I can understand if this appear in caps or t shirts, but not in lower part garments and shoes please. It will be a disaster, really. I am not surprised why you don't see these ill-designed shoes on shelves of retail shops anymore. Definitely not because the sales of these shoes are good but finally someone has gotten senses into him.

Big Uncle

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 07:17:04 PM »
I am a little bit of a conservative with regards to religious icons and I think that the Buddha should never be disrespected by having such holy images adorn the lower parts of our body. Whatever we place or use to adorn the feet are considered dirtier or inferior and that's how our mind works.

Hence, it is not merely an Indian custom but the way our mind subconscious impute a lower value when it is associated with our lower part of the body. Hence, having a powerful image of the Buddha that is used to adorn shoes creates a lot of negative karma due to this association. Therefore, I would have to agree with the conservatives and not agree with such blatant disregard of a religious icon. However, I will be fine if the Buddha's image is adorn on upper garments though.

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 07:17:47 AM »
It is certainly not appropriate to put any holy images on shoes or on carpets or the floor to be step on. While on the Buddhas' side, they certainly do not mind and Buddhas' are known to manifest as anything including a chair to be sat on if it benefit beings; it is from the side of beings that we need to consider the effects such act will bring.

For buddhist, such holy images printed on shoes does bring to mind that the Buddhas are being treated as lowly, and as mere decorations or exotic designs. For argument sake, any images of the Buddhas will created an imprint on the mind of sentient beings. However, couple with the effect of these images on shoes brings to mind to the uninitiated, that Buddhas are just motif or designs on shoes. Any object that that buddhist take refuge in should be highly regarded but to non buddhist, while just seeing the image of the Buddhas create an imprint on their mind; the overall effect is that the Buddhas are lowly and this cause more ignorance to already ignorant minds. So my suggestion is that, we educate the manufacturer and the customer that the Buddhas should be highly regarded. We should NOT go out and violently protest in a non-buddhist way. Remember, we are buddhist. Let show some class.

The antidote to this would be to create some hats with Buddhas images??